Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

I'm glad to hear if he's less hostile in Japanese. His reaction to concluding the Father Servo questline just made me go "man gently caress this guy"

I haven't played that sidequest in English yet, but in the Japanese he talks about how he's glad he doesn't have to deal with him again, but it's pretty transparent, you (and 2B) can tell that he's really sad/upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My memory's a bit fuzzy but I'm kinda sure that's not the implication with 9S in the English, but 2B feels that way

I looked up the sidequest in English. Here's a comparison between it and the original Japanese:

(Localized Version)
9S: About goddamn time! If I ever see that bossy robo-monk again, it’ll be too soon, let me tell you.
2B: I suppose.
9S: Stupid machine. All he cared about was getting stronger until we finally scrapped him. But now we don’t have to see him ever again. What a relief!
2B: …Indeed.

(My Translation)
9S: Phew, I'm glad that's over with! Now we’ll never be bossed around by that robo-monk ever again.
2B: Right…
9S: …what a dumb robot. He cared so much about getting stronger, he didn't mind being destroyed… But now we’ll never have to see him again! Really… what a relief…
2B: …yeah.

I feel like it's a pretty good approximation of how the localization 'spices' things up, so to speak.

dazat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 21, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so the differences are mostly exaggerated.

I don't think I was exaggerating. Like I said, the differences aren't totally derailing or anything (certainly not petition worthy, lol). Just, applied to the dialogue all throughout the game, it subtly but noticeably changes the tone of some characters compared to the original Japanese. 9S in particular comes off as jerkier imo.

Speaking of Sartre Jean-Paul, I wonder how Beauvoir would feel about her name being attached to a narcissistic robot so obsessed with abstract beauty standards she'll turn into a cannibal in order to attract a disinterested boor of a man. "Becomes a woman" indeed.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Tarezax posted:

The story ends with her realizing that the struggle to become beautiful was all meaningless, but it's all she has left so she clings to it. She wasn't narcissistic, merely obsessed with that ideal, as many of the robots in the game are. I personally think it's a great cautionary tale about not letting yourself be defined by such things.

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed her story and the moral about how all the beauty in the world can't buy you acceptance/peace of mind. The whole thread on how machines might interpret gender identity was interesting too, I hoped it would get a little more focus than it did.

No Mods No Masters posted:

"if you like my games you're probably mentally ill" - Yoko Taro, having just another day on the PR trail

I mean... he's not wrong...

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

1. It's certainly possible.

2. Yes, he is. There's a novella about it, even. Does this mean Nier might be the robot devil? Maybe.

I translated the full version of that novella (the one linked to only covers half the story), and yes it does imply the robot god in the desert cutscene was Beepy, although that's as much of a reference as he gets.

Also on the topic of sexy androids I thought the Commander was going commando (lol) but it turns out she's also wearing a (very sheer) leotard.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Tarezax posted:

As far as I can tell, her "top" doesn't actually cover her chest, it's just a torn rag covering her abdomen. And the rest of her "clothes" is either painted on or is just the underlying android body with most of the artificial skin gone.

Everything other than the apron is areas where her android skin has rubbed off, aka she's naked except for the apron.

Also while they're not as overtly sexualized as the YoRHa girls 9S, Adam & Eve are all totally designed to catch girl player's attention. I think Yoko even mentioned in an interview that Adam and Eve were supposed to be deliberate fujobait. Anyway all Yoko games have had some weird sexual stuff in it, it just kinda goes with the territory. Not saying anyone has to like it, but it's a constant.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in Nier 1 it is revealed that the Replicants can't breed on their own. It's unclear if they even have sex, although I guess that is implied, but all romantic couplings are in a way "pointless" to that end because people don't actually breed that way.

fwiw Grimoire NieR states Replicants DO have sex drives, and actually there's an increase in openly gay couples since there's no pressure/need to traditionally reproduce (if they want a baby the Android stork delivers it).

dazat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 24, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Re: YoRHa, they were created by androids as a way to keep other androids from losing all purpose after humanity went extinct; androids are programmed with an obsessive love for humanity so many of them were experiencing huge existential crises before the machines showed up. More specifically, YoRHa was introduced somewhat recently as basically propaganda after several hundreds of years of battle. The Pods mention in Ending E that they were created by androids, there's a file detailing how YoRHa black boxes were made using machine cores since using standard AI for them would be 'inhumane' by android standards, and in her final report Jackass mentions she's going to punish the machines AND the people who came up with YoRHa. Sometime before the start of the game, the Terminals do infiltrate the YoRHa server, but they're gaming the preexisting set-up, they didn't create it.

One thing to keep in mind about 2B is that she's really not nearly as good at moderating or hiding her feelings as she tries to act like she is. I'm in the middle of translating it in full now, but in the Memory Cage short story, 9S mentions how bad she is at concealing her affection for him and as a Scanner unit he can see right through it, which explains why he's so quick to get close to her every time; he's lonely and he can tell that she's fond of him, despite herself.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

Question about all this 2B and 9S stuff to someone who knows Japanese Is the line that in English goes "I want him" as explicit in Japanese? It feels like the kind of delivery that could easily be very different

When does she say that? I don't recall the line.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nina posted:

She has this freudian slip moment when you listen to the recording on her flight unit near the coast resource gathering unit as 9S

In the Japanese she says "Watashi wa... kare ni... (I want... him (to)...)" then pauses because she's getting emotional. I think it's want as in she wants him to know something.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I don't believe there are any translations of the Bunker book though the site that is on may be the best bet of seeing it.

There's supplemental story stuff in the concert things because Taro is like that, basically.

I'm working on translations of all the supplemental material for the Dark Id's LP, including the Orbital Bunker Base Observation Journal, my own version of Memory Cage, and the 3 novellas that come included in the strategy guide (that I'm waiting for in the mail). It's a bit of a struggle collecting everything, since it's not all in one place like Grimoire NieR! I've mentioned it before, but I'd sell my (non-existent, granted) first-born to see scans of the novel that came with the Japanese Black Box Edition which apparently has an exclusive story about the original Devola and Popola...

Nina posted:

With the old level grinding method removed all I can say is well gently caress. I'm not sure if I have the patience for that

PLEASE don't tell me they got rid of the Golden Bunny??? Now I really regret deleting my file before the DLC came out. T_T

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The DLC says I need to play through the main game before I can access it. Is that why is still says Waiting to install in my notifications? By main game, do they mean just Route A or the whole thing?

*Ugh, I think I bought the wrong version for my version of the game.

dazat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 3, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

The DLC is in 3 separate locations and each one has certain requirements for entering it. Between that and the level recommendations for the end of the challenges it's not something you're going to be finishing till the very end of the game.

It looks like I bought the wrong version of the DLC for my game (the new Chinese/Every Other Language version versus the plain English/Japanese version on the Hong Kong PSN Store). Given that and the notion of having to play all the way through the game AGAIN after having already did 100% completion & deleting my file, I think I'll consider my $12 a donation to Taro Yoko's war chest and just stream the new content...

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Alder posted:

There is only one dlc pack for asia other than the combo deal. I'm not sure why it's broken for me though.

No, there is one specifically for the initial English/Japanese HK release, it's just harder to find on the menu. This one, as compared to this one.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I found the correct version real easy by simply going to the game on the PS4 home screen, pushing down to where it says Store things and then clicking the DLC from there took me to the appropriate version with no store diving. Too late for yourself now, sadly, but for those who don't know who may want to, that's how you can do it.

Yeah which I discovered too late unfortunately! If it were the NA PSN store I'd call up but I don't know how conducive contacting HK support would be...

Mega spoilers

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7KM18848_HHlQFviGCkJbXV1M-5SKm_HnVBTzzYlDg/edit

Translation of the 50 questions to Yoko Taro about NieR Automata from the JP guide. Very recommended after you finish the game.

Lots of interesting tidbits!

Somehow I just knew Yoko would eventually comment on the state of android genitalia. Mimicking pregnancy sounds pretty creepy though...
So the person in charge of creating YoRHA is one particular android instead of a council or committee. I wonder if they'll ever divulge their identity (as well as the identity of the human whose personality the Red Girls apparently absorbed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Alder posted:

GDT psn store you lied to me yet again 😠

I will see if they will refund me in the meantime.

Let me know if you have any luck!