Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Heres some pretty fun videos about Drakengard 1-3 if you wanted a refresher on them and there will definitely be one for Nier before Automatas release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q_Nx9WbgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflyxYQ3CtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rez0DnSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Automata apparently has hidden items you can find through hearing high frequency sounds when you are near them, you know the kind only kids and dogs can hear.

The absolute madman.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Is Automata seriously the #1 top seller on steam right now :psyduck:

Pretty incredible to go from obscure jank fest 150,000 sold worldwide Draken 3 to this.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

loving casuals and their Platinum "good gameplay" hand holding. Back in my day we worked for our Taro stories by killing a million dudes on the first stage, and liked it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

lets hang out posted:

This review on metacritic lol

It's all true.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

dasmause posted:

You aren't retrieving them, you're getting their effects as a temporary buff. Assuming you're talking about player bodies

I am almost certainly getting permanent chips from players but I have no idea why some stay and some don't.

Edit: oh I was looting chips from npc corpses I think.

Also don't try the blackbelt quest at level 12!

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 11, 2017

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Did 'Lord of the Valley' by standing on a ledge, tying a rubber band to the pad, and walking away for an hour.

Maybe I'm being a little too forceful with these sidequests.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Oh my god, did I seriously just destroy a bunch of players save data?! by getting hit in the final shump section for ending E?

They gave up their 30 hour save files so I could finish the game.

It's genius to have other players data save you in the end to understand how important it is to give up yours.

Taro does it again.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Also people hate on these sidequests! What gives? Did they not play the first game? The first Nier's sidequests are legit pretty bad, mostly generic with a handful of really good ones here and there (and the banter was great of course) but this game's got sidequests that actually tie into the main plot, and most of them involve performing a specific task or accomplishing a goal, not just "kill x wolves" and whatnot. Hell, the ones that tasked me to get materials and stuff tended to be solved right away, since you can take quests across the various paths, which actually takes the NG+ style and puts it to good use. I'd say this game's sidequests are far more thematically interesting than a majority of its contemporaries.

I would rather have dull quests and good banter, like Nier/Drak3, then Automatas good quests dull banter, however I give Automata a complete pass with this because as we know, there is a significant reason why Operators/2B do not banter with, and are standoffish bitches to 9S.

The reason YoRHa acts all awkward/contradictory around each other isn't answered till the very last conversation of the game. So it's understandable, and even likely, to think the story/characters are just weird or random or poorly written, or just lack 'fun'. It pays off in the end though, assuming you get there.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I have a major gripe about A2.

Having A2 not explicitly be the original 2B, that defected after she couldn't take killing YoRHa members anymore, seems like a huge narrative blunder. And if that is the case, it was certainly not convoyed that way except maybe the part when she cut her hair. Having A2 just dumped into the story as the new co-lead without any set up or motivation explained along the way/at the end seems so dumb. A2 getting 2Bs memories through her sword is such a cop out. Or am I just the one being dumb and missing some kind of meta narrative to why A2 replaces 2B when they are 90% the same anyway? Is there a section of story I missed about A2 somewhere?

Assuming that A2 is supposed to be 2B gone rogue, then why would she give a poo poo about the robots anymore, shouldn't she be entirely focused on killing YoRHa and especially 2B to free 9S from the cycle?

Wouldn't it make more sense for A2 to try and convince 9S that A2 and 2B are one in the same just with a divergence of memories? How awesome would it have been if A2 SHOWED 9S the memories of her killing 9S over and over, instead of us having to read it in a blog or something. Only for 9S to completely reject that idea because his memories of 2B are what make her 2B and not that A2 was once 2B? Echoing and finally understanding 2Bs idea that you are only who you are in this moment.

Having that be A2s thing would have been more poignant then just 'I'm angry because my friends died in a unrelated event that will never be explained in game'

Really they could have just not had A2 in the game at all and have 9S think that 2B is dead only for her to appear in the tower later and confess she's an E-Type. 9S's mental state would be so far gone at that point he doesn't believe 2B would do that, or doubt she is the real 2B, considering he just had to slaughter a bunch of fake 2Bs. So they inevitably fight and 9S either tragically kills 2B or she sacrifices herself to save him from the logic virus. Like what A2 did (for some reason, I guess she has 2B memories or some poo poo)

This is only part of the story I felt was handled poorly.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I just realised something, the machine cores you loot aren't used to craft or upgrade anything, but are still the highest valued items in the game selling for 20k! a piece to the vendors. So what are they even for if we are never told and are seemingly useless to the player?

They are shipped up to HQ in order to make new hybrid black boxes of yourself to be murdered later on, perpetuating your own demise.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 16, 2017

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

Partway into route C you can buy a specific set of cores from Pascal. Do these do anything or are they really just for reselling like the description says?

They are the cores of the children that commit suicide, but since Pascal has no memory of them anymore, he does not attempt to rebuild them, selling them off instead. Probably just assuming they are cores from the mindless networked robots.

But no, they are useless......to the player.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I think the machines not having much variety, while also being so cute and useless in the first half of the game would be fine if in the second half the hacking they do would constantly mess up your weapons/jumping/vision/chips/etc. But they only time I remember that being a sudden threat was when the virus first takes over YoRHa and they completely blinded me.

After that the machines don't really bother doing it much so they go back to non threatening pushovers. Shame, I would have loved random effects like taking away the players ability do dodge or disabling a chip to be the increase in difficulty instead of just more HP/Damage.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

it was a Platinum game with no pummel duels.

It would have been too on the nose for Automata, we got something VERY close to that, you know which part, and I almost cringed when it happened because it was blatantly a Platinum moment and felt really out of place in the game.

EEEEEEEEVVVVVVEEEE!!!!!!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So minor plot hole?

How can 9S not recognise Angelic when its the language he uses to hack with?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Doesn't look like anything to him :v:

Oh.....ohhh!

Speaking of being blind, a take on why everyone wears weird face gear.

Combat units all seem to wear a "blindfold" over their eyes. Symbolic to a perspective of not seeing the discrepancy in their blind faith to YorHa. Then there is the Operators that have a mask covering their mouths, symbolic of not speaking of the discrepancy and the control of information. The only person that doesn't wear anything like that is the commander that knows the whole story.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Drakengard and Whole Game (Automata) spoilers

So I forgot most of Drakengard but recently went back and refreshed myself just for kicks and now I'm super loving confused in Automata because of all the callbacks.

I've counted
Ending names: Flowers for a Broken Machine, Flowers for a Broken Spirit
Manah's watcher voice turning into that of a mans. The two girls in red do the same thing.
Watcher!Manah's stupid la la la thing comes back with the Emil copies doing the same thing.

Is the game trying to imply something here? Or is it just call backs.

The DragonSphere is not a linear timeline, it's a sphere, there are paradoxes all over the place. They aren't callbacks so much as causality loops.

The only one we know who is aware of this is Accord and she makes no appearance in Automata. But is mentioned by name, so she is absolutely observing stuff.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I keep getting fatal errors every 5 minutes. Yikes.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Is this game like really hard? I'm playing on normal and just hit a story point where all the mobs jump from level 3-10 to suddenly 15-30+ and I'm just getting crushed. Like all my fights are now 'run away and spam the machine gun at them for an hour'. My damage just feels really low even with my sword upgraded to level 3 and even doing every side quest to this point I feel underleveled. Are the plugins like super integral to doing good damage? Mine are defensive cause I'm bad at dodging and healing under pressure but maybe that's what's wrong? I'm sort of at a loss.

But it's really not fun not being able to do any quest with a time limit and have every fight last over a minute :(

There are a bunch of quests you will have to come back to much later, they are all over the place when it comes to level/difficulty.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So I just got to disneyland and, uh I kind of went hog wild and I think I killed two named machines? Did I just gently caress myself?

No, everything can be redone later. Nothing is missable, except Y ending, which you do at level 99.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Oh my god you guys, I was playing and during a part where I was getting attacked by 50 robots at the same time, I'm not sure, but I think a frame or two dropped.

This is UNACCEPTABLE, biggest blunder of 2017. #RIPsquareenix

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Tarezax posted:

one of the other things about hacking is that autoheal chips continue to function as normal during the hacking sequence. great for when you're in a panic situation

Pods also continue cooldown during hacking time :ssh:

This actually makes 9S much stronger then 2B because you can 3 pod charge blades program for mondo damage then hack while they cooldown.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

That could just be a confused Emil that survived since the previous timeline and is talking about the current events of Automata.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Man, i should really not have dicked around for like 10 minutes in the system settings at the start

I had to walk away and deal with something for 15 minutes the first time I did that, and I found it too funny to be mad.

dazat posted:

When does she say that? I don't recall the line.

It's even in the trailer, though no one would notice how significant it was till they finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

You can instantly tell who has defeated the Flower from Drakengard 3 and who hasn't, because loving NOBODY would complain about difficulty in Automata after that, especially in a game which gives the player....

The strongest weapons in the game by default
Infinite ammo long range machine gun
Spammable iframe dodge that makes you invincible
Can pause to heal with items
Chips rewards from quests that are OP for your level
AI partner that fights for you
Can run from most fights
Can just level up to negate difficulty entirely
Hacking is basically cheating but retards think 9S is bad because his combos are different from 2B and think hacking is a substitute for Heavy attacks, ughhhhhh

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Also, story question here; Who was the machine that discovered hate? Was it A2?

Adam, but not really, because while he was fascinated and wanted to understand it, ironically it was his brother Eve who really experienced it after Adams death.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Adams obsession also plays into each Machines 'gift'

The gift represents some aspect of humanity the machines think what makes something human and how they tie into each zone or machine community.

Love?- Desert
Hate - Adam
Family - Eve
Fun - Park
Loyalty - Forest
War? - The Flooded City?
Peace - Village
Religion - Factory

I'm prob getting some wrong and missing some.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Also while 9S is inside the machine network he notices the machines copying all these social concepts but finds it strange they seem to be purposefully setting themselves up to fail by repeating the same mistakes over and over despite knowing full well they are capable of evolved thought and change by how they continuously improve themselves to fight better.

Dunno if this is suppose to be a hint about the Red Girls control over the machines or if its some meta commentary about the human condition but it's a nice touch.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Oh another thing. The Flood City being a huge question mark when it comes to machine gifts also goes hand in hand with why I think Pure Waters and Black Pearls are so rare and that is because the Flood City was absolutely suppose to be an entire zone that ended up getting cut. Would explain why a named zone is also 30 seconds long and why they shoved a DLC gate there.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

Having now finished route A-E I'd just like to say it's really disappointing how B2 gets offed like a chump 10 minutes after the B ending and then just ...never comes back. I kept expecting her to pop back into the story. I mean she's in all the games art and she's a robot and shes the drat main character! It's like the most perfect excuse to have a bullshit Jesus resurrection and the game doesn't go for it. She doesn't even get a cool death, just 'oh drat you're infected now time to die'. Why couldn't she save herself like 9S does in the tower? We see A2 using her pod to hack so why can't 2B use hers to hack the virus to death?

100% agree, its my biggest complaint about the game. 2B gets hours of development then dropped before its concluded, while A2 wraps up the ending with no development at all.

Like was 2Bs death suppose to be some kind of shocking twist about the horrors of war? Yeah ok I get it, but there is a time and place for that kind of twist and this was not it because you just replaced your co-lead with someone who is 90% the same anyway near the end of the story. Pointless and stupid because you could have had 2B do all the things A2 did with the slightest of story tweaks, even fighting 9S.

Edit:It could have been something as simple as A2 giving 2B her body to avoid the corruption since she had nothing left to live for and 9S still would have went crazy thinking A2 killed her not realised A2 is now 2B

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2017

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

So she's just 2B but angrier? With an even more tragic past? I dunno if I missed like a huge chunk of backstory that would make me care about her somehow but I had like 80% completion on side quests and all the main routes so if it's more hidden then that...

Yeah she is, but the game sure as poo poo goes out of its way not to say that. I probably had 90% completion for everything before I finally deleted my save and I still didn't find anything concerning A2 expect the book she finds in the tower (which you have to remember and read, because it doesn't show it to you at the time). I think there is something on the terminal in the camp too but its super easy to miss.

The document is pretty interesting. It's about how A2s incredible fighting potential and betrayal surprised the Red Girls despite all indications otherwise. This caused them to use her body and mind as the base for models like YoRHa androids like 2B because such potential to go beyond their calculations would speed up their evolution radically.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Mindblast posted:

I can't recall when/where in route B you can pick up the item scan chip. I thought it was near the beginning but I can't locate it. Guess I misremembered?

Desert Vendor next to Jackass. Auto-loot is sold by Pop/Dev.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I didn't kill the fun tank either but it actually drops a lore important item, the first machine core. The pod explains its like a plant cell, which means the machines are living things on the inside, despite looking so mechanical on the outside. Sure they are very basic lifeforms, but more alive in a literal sense then the androids.

The androids (Expect YoRHa blackboxes) on the flipside look and act 'alive' but only because they are programmed to do so. It's like the shades from Nier all over again, you think you are killing monsters in Nier and it turns out to be human souls and you're the monster. While in Automata you think you are just destroying machines, buts it turns out they are living things, and you're the machine.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've heard good things about this but so I've watched the first hour or so of the game. How representative is that of the overall game? I keep waiting to see what everyone is gushing over but so far all I see is anime junk.

Mass Effect Andromeda is the game for you friend.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NieR Re[in]carnation is just a lovely walking simulation mobile game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyxUKjzJ1A