Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Route C Spoilers: I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing players reacting to the opening credits.

It's such a good payoff. Most people are slightly spoiled and know that Route C is important, but they usually assume it will be entirely from A2's perspective and during the same time as Route A/B. Then the Preview shows YorHa in full nazi-regalia mode, so they assume YorHa must be the bad guys and the commander will be an end-game enemy. And then the bunker explodes, "Crumbling Lies" kicks in, opening credits start (20+ hours into the game), and they realize the wild ride has just begun.

Another twist of expectations occurs during Pascal's big mission. Most people assume that the children robots are dead (or are at least being attacked), but no one expects Pascal's earlier actions inadvertently caused the mass suicide.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The operators are so lovely. There will never be enough artwork dedicated to them.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Are you having fun doing the side quests? If so, continue doing them. There is a decent bit of world-building that may make future story points resonate more with you. If you're getting bored, it will be better to just focus on the main story and avoid getting burned out.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
2B's butt is better than the entirety of Ocarina of Time.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm guessing this has already been posted in this thread at some point, but I thought I'd share it anyway. Yoko Taro gave a fantastic hour-long talk on game development at an event in 2014: "Making Weird Games for Weird People". He explains his writing process and talks about memory palaces. There are moderate NieR 1 spoilers used for the writing examples. Although the talk was delivered before Automata began development, I'd still recommend against watching it if you haven't finished Automata yet.

For some strange reason, he is wearing his human mask.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont things get confusing when there's multiples of one specific model on scene?

Route C Spoilers: Not sure if its headcanon, but someone suggested that this is why they wear the masks in the all-out YorHa attack.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

iospace posted:

So, odds of a sequel coming?

Namely one following Jackass and her exploits to hunt down that the android behind YoRHa?

I want a Yoko Taro/Dark Souls collaboration from the viewpoint of the fire keepers.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Trico posted:

Finding out A and B was basically an extended prologue was one of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced

I know, right? I've watched about a dozen blind play-throughs reacting to this moment. It's really easy to skim through a long stream to find it. The music might be my favorite track in the game, and the "Developed by PLATINUM GAMES" black title card almost always gets a good reaction from players and makes twitch chat explode.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

where are the side by side gifs of 2b and a2 walking away from the camera

QFT. There are no videos of A2's walking animation on YouTube, but there are a few dozen for 2B. I've done the research. Automata will easily pass two million sales once the A2 gifs begin proliferating.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It would be nice if the scaling was more like a Souls game.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The main complaint that most players seem to have with NieR:A is that Normal is too easy and Hard is too difficult. The game's dumb level scaling is a big chunk of the problem.

NieR could have implemented a Soulsborne-style focus on improving weapons for damage scaling. It even seems that weapon upgrades were meant to have more of an impact on gameplay, since the hidden blacksmith is required to max out equipment. Damage is ultimately tied to your current level instead.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

rio posted:

Regarding all of the above, I was buying dead children cores and robot friend parts and then accidentally attacked pascal. He died in one hit - I reloaded because I didn't mean to kill him but does he respawn and still show up in the ending of that happens or does it basically turn out like if you chose to kill him when given the dialogue choice in the factory?

Also, I thought this was pretty lame - I went through all of that on A2 and then when 9S went to the village he didn't act surprised or anything that Pascal was lobotomized. I was hoping for a heartbreaking realization that Pascal was mentally gone, or maybe that 9S had turned on Pascal since he now wants to kill all robots.

I think the understated payoff was intentional. We're all amped up to see what happened to Pascal and aren't entirely sure whether 9S' section is before or after A2's section.

Machine Village is destroyed, but Pascal is still alive? Cool. Oh, he doesn't remember anything and is selling off machine parts? Not cool.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Route C is the best thing in video games. Scroll through any blind playthrough and see how the player reacts. It's amazing.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I really wonder what the next game could be.

For some reason, I imagine Yoko Taro developing a 'Drakengard Remaster' that is eventually revealed to be a completely different game. The cancelled Platinum/Microsoft collaboration "Scalebound" has some surface-level similarities to the Drakengard universe. It seems too obvious that Platinum could attempt to rework existing gameplay elements around a Yoko Taro story.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I agree that it'll probably have a decent tail.

Looking back through old LPs of the entire Drakenier universe, I'm still stunned that Automata was made at all. I can't imagine how it must have felt as a fan of the series when it was announced. It must be even more of a surprise for a Yoko Taro game to be a critical and financial success.

It reminds me of the Dark Souls series, where the developers kept improving the formula established in King's Field and Demon Souls until it became a pretty big series. We may start seeing Nier-likes at some point that use the same gameplay/perspective shifts.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Route C, Pascal :stare::stonk:

This one stung. You finish the big robot fight and resume control of Pascal for the walk back to the kids, and you just know that there will not be a happy ending to the segment.

It's reasonable to assume that you missed a sneak attack from inside the factory during the multi-stage fight, but then you find out that the machine children killed themselves in part due to uncle Pascal's teachings. The game then forces you to essentially mercy kill one of the purest 'good guy' characters in the game. Pascal never betrays the trust of 2B/9S, and he goes out of his way to assist both of them during the Route A/B flooded city 'Godzilla' boss fight.

Pascal didn't do anything to deserve his outcome aside from existing as a pure soul in a Yoko Taro story.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

...! posted:

You don't have to do anything merciful for him at all. I just ignored what he said and left. Fucker needs to deal with his grief like a man. No easy way out.

I thought it was implied that (Route C Ending Spoilers) Pascal kills himself off-screen if you don't delete his memories. He doesn't appear during Ending C if you walk away. The camera just shows a completely empty machine village instead of a memory-wiped Pascal.

Maybe Pascal lived a happy life elsewhere off-screen instead? Yoko Taro did say something to the effect that anything that fans want to happen after Ending E should be considered canon at this point. NieR 3 will be Pascal's adventures on the dark side of planet Earth.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

rio posted:

Could someone please go into spoiler-y details about Emil? I didn't know that he was the last human so I imagine this is another gem they decide it to tell anyone so we are left in the dark unless we play Nier. Unless it ends up on Steam or I watch a long rear end let's play i will never know so please explain how he is a human and why he is hosed up? I thought he was just a wacky robot based on what we are given in this game. Also do the robots base themselves on him because they know he is human or did Emil have an active roll in that?

I'll try.

Emil started NieR as a semi-normal boy, but he was cursed with an ability that would turn anyone he looked at into stone. He wore a blindfold to protect others for the first half of the game.

It's revealed later on in NieR that he and his sister were experimental bioweapons made by the NieR-universe's equivalent of the Umbrella Corps from the Resident Evil series. They find his sister's monstrous form bound in chains in the basement of his home, and she eats/fuses with Emil. He ends up with his signature moon-head and a skeleton body.

In one of the final fights of the game, the team fights Devola and Popola. They succeed in killing Devola, and Popola has a complete meltdown from losing her other half and attempts to magic-suicide bomb NieR and friends off the face of the planet. Emil sacrifices himself to prevent a full-party wipe.

It's revealed during one of the later endings that Emil's head managed to survive the blast. He is at this point the only surviving 'human' left on Earth, if you don't disqualify him because of his various bioweapon transformations.

----------------

Throughout NieR, Emil bonds with fellow outcast Kainé. They each lived alone for most of their lives due to their respective curses, but they end up with a sibling-like bond to each other. At the midpoint of the game, Emil is forced to turn Kainé to stone to prevent her from going berserk. After Emil gets turned into a freaky skeleton, he gains the magical ability to heal Kainé from her petrification. He hides to avoid frightening her, but she immediately recognizes Emil despite his disfigured moon-head.

Memories of Kainé are what kept Emil going through the millenia as a quasi-immortal magical weapon. The Lunar Tear quest is based on Emil attempting to regain his fading memories. Kainé's grandmother left her a necklace made up of the extremely rare flower, so she is linked symbolically to the flower. Emil's shrine of flowers is dedicated to her memory and surrounds a recreation of her small shack home where she grew up.

----------------

Unless I'm mistaken, Emil's similarity to machine lifeforms is left open-ended. It's possible that the aliens based their technology on Emil, since he was probably a greater threat to them than all of the androids. It's also possible that the clones of Emil became the basis for machine lifeforms after his personality became too fragmented by the self-cloning process.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Oh man, I just finished Ending B and THERE'S AN ENTIRE OTHER GAME WAITING BEHIND IT

:yokotaro:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The final canon ending of Automata reminds me of Undertale's true pacifist ending: "But it refused"

If you did not have any emotional reaction to the final route, Yoko Taro failed at his primary goal.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Most people are exaggerating for dramatic emphasis. It's like the sadness equivalent of "lol".

That said, Yoko Taro's stated goal when designing games is to elicit emotional responses from players. Watch his GDC Presentation ("Making Weird Games for Weird People") that I linked previously in this thread. The dude approaches scriptwriting from a logical perspective, starting from the desired emotional climax and building in reasons for the player to care about the outcome. If you're particularly interested in writing (or at least writing analysis), you can see the pillars that are setup throughout the game without necessarily getting too emotionally invested.

Can you see why people might be affected by events in the late-game? If not, what parts of the story needed to be beefed up, cut down, or removed entirely? These types of questions are helpful to consider when approaching any form of media criticism.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Renoistic posted:

It works even better if the game lets me interact with it too! Some games, like Ico, the Last Guardian, a Tale of Two Brothers, and Crisis Core, use game mechanics to elicit responses from the players. It's hard to explain, but sometimes (usually during last parts of the game or even the ending sequence) they have you use the mechanics you've been using throughout the game, but in a different context, that triggers an emotional response based on the rapport you have gained with the characters. The game has conditioned the player throughout the playthrough, in order for the last emotional beat to work.

I agree. This technique absolutely hits a nerve for me. I'd love to look through a tvtropes-style list of moments like this in gaming.

(Undertale)
Maybe, with what little power you have...
You can SAVE something else.

Edit: (Also Undertale)
Asgore destroying the mercy option.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 6, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
You can do the first option.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
4. That's all folks.

5. Adam and Eve are a new wrinkle. It feels like the game is implying that there is a cycle with them, but the only cyclical part of the story is 9S learning the truth about the Council of Humanity and having to be executed.

2. This game is centered on existentialism. These androids are programmed with a limited purpose, which is now impossible to fulfill. Ideally, they'll be able to move forward and find a new reason to live. It's also possible that they won't be able to move past their programming and eventually rebuild something in the same vein as YorHa.

Think of Devola and Popola. They are programmed to depend one each other and are forced to feel guilt for past sins. Despite understanding that these feelings are a part of their programming, they are unable to escape it.

Humans experience this all of the time. People become accustomed to their addictions and struggle to break them even when an objectively better path forward is available.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a reference or comment or something to the effect in-game that machine communities have been tried many, many times as a simulation to humanity but each time they eventually fail and in ways that imply the current iteration never learned from previous ones. So 9S having to be reloaded periodically to protect the secret is not the only cycle present. There's also the android couple running away from the resistance camp in their 5th iteration of the same basic events (with horrific implications).

You're right. I misspoke. There are a ton of cycles in this game. The Route B playthrough appears to set up a twist that the two main characters are also currently in a loop. This is not what actually happens. 2B and 9S are in a loop in several ways, but Adam and Eve's appearance is a unique event.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
What changes?

I remember one streamer got kicked back like 45 minutes after a death.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Gently caress

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Momomo posted:

I must be one of the few that wasn't particularly affected by the title screen. It really wasn't the beginning of anything, it was just the final act. Apparently people were totally blown away by it, but I'm just not seeing it.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean, I thought it was cool, but...

Route C Spoilers:
The end of the bunker segment directly into the "Designed by Platinum Games" opening credits is my favorite single moment in any game. Every character-building moment throughout Routes A&B leads up to that speech by the Commander. The normally calm 2B freaks out a little when she realizes that not even the Commander will survive the massacre. There is no backup, and no leadership remains to take control of YoRHa. YoRHa felt like they were about to win the war, and then they were almost entirely eliminated.

Meanwhile, 9S knows that none of this stuff really matters anyways and is precariously close to a meltdown if anything were to happen to his precious 2B.

It feels like there is about to be a break in the action, but then the flight unit section begins and stuff continues happening. It doesn't stop. No one stops....

Perhaps I hyped it up too much, but I think the pacing of the moment deserves the praise.

The title screen occurs after the white machine structure emerges from the ground. I'm not as fond of that moment, but I think it works well for giving players a breather after over an hour of everything going to poo poo.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It is because Routes A and B happen at the same time. Players generally assume that Route C will be from A2's perspective leading up to the forest king incident, but the story moves onward instead.

Most important characters die in a massacre, our third protagonist becomes playable for the first time, and a mysterious giant structure emerges from the ground. Then the title card pops up. Route C's opening is paced like a prologue, but most players will have logged over twenty hours of gameplay by that point.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Agreed. 9S was completely broken by that moment. He was previously hanging on by a thread, but 2B's death cut him loose. He does not want to know why A2 did it; he just wants to make her (and all machines) suffer.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Cephas posted:

Dᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ɢᴀᴍᴇs ᴀʀᴇ sɪʟʟʏ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢs?

:colbert:

This exact moment was the culmination of Yoko Taro's entire game development career. It hit me pretty hard.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Shoren posted:

I played through this game entirely and I feel like I missed something. Everyone heaps praise on this game for being super special and incredibly amazing and I have a hard time understanding where they're coming from. The game is very congruent in its themes and is ultimately a very sad narrative bringing forward the questions of what meaning there is in life and what to do when the thing you've been living for is gone. The setting and plot were novel, certainly, but I didn't feel compelled most of the time to carry on (especially when slogging through Route B). It just didn't feel like there was much driving the plot forward most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still had fun playing the game, I just feel like I didn't "get" it when all was said and done.

You pretty much got the highlights, but you don't seem impressed by them. Few games address those types of philosophical questions, and the gameplay transitions are also fairly unique in this game. Yahtzee's (spoilery) review of N:A was essentially that it was better than the sum of its parts.

I do think there is plenty of room for the next game to improve.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There are a bunch of out of bounds glitches whenever the camera shifts. Forest castle is almost entirely skipped.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

some guy on the bus posted:

There was just a tiny one that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me and went over my head. It said something about "2B hated to keep killing you." I thought "What? She only did that one time. At the beginning, they died together. When the gently caress is she talking about?" Then I read somewhere that the beginning of the game wasn't the first time 2B and 9S met. 9S just didn't have any past memories. And that's why 2B wanted to maintain no emotions between the two. I did not get that at all from the little speech. I have no idea if this is true or not true, it sounds cool, I wish I would have realized that while playing.

You missed some very important dialogue. You may want to rewatch that scene again.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Major spoiler: 2B wasn't a "Battle" model. She was actually 2E, which is an "Execution" model. Her job was to kill 9S whenever he got too close to the truth about the council of humanity. 9S is naturally inquisitive, so he'd always eventually start to wonder why command was making certain decisions.

The whole A/B Route, 2B is trying her best to not get too attached to him, because she knows she'll have to kill him again eventually. This is the reason why her character is so unemotional at the beginning of the game and often shuts down any deep thoughts 9S may have about any given mission. 9S was very close to getting himself executed in the bunker by 2B before the start of Route C.

Edit: extra big spoilers: The E models were at least brought up in some of the text files late game, and I thought they were in at least one main quest. I may be wrong. That said, I am fairly certain A2 literally says 2B was an execution model during her little monologue to 9S.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 30, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

some guy on the bus posted:

Thank you. Why did they give 2B the virus while 9s was still alive?

No one gave 2B the virus specifically. 9S halted the data sync, so they were the only two YorHa that weren't infected. 2B was re-infected by the virus by the zombie YorHa flight units in the section between the bunker blowing up and 2B crash landing. The enemy flight units during that section shoot yellowish blasts that cause the virus.

2B got 9S to safety before he could be infected. 9S was having a mental breakdown for most of Route C, but I think he only got infected by the virus when he tried attaching a spare 2B arm to himself.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Ending E answer: the save thing happens just after ending E. You can say no after getting E.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
More E spoilers: There aren't any additional story cutscenes if you make the sacrifice.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Bust Rodd”" post="“474566904”"]

Since I’ve been without internet at my apartment for a month, and this is one of the only games I have left installed on my PC, I booted it up and hey, it’s fun again.
[/quote]

There are several moments in the third playthrough that are enormously improved by having network access. I recommend waiting to start that route until after your internet situation is fixed. Be careful; this thread has plenty of major unmarked spoilers in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Len”" post="“474571270”"]
I was never without can you spoil those for me?
[/quote]

Huge Route C spoiler: I was attempting to obscure the fact that network access is needed in order to finish Ending E. It is nearly impossible without network access for support, and it’ll be a massive cockblock if he runs into it.

Network access does add some ambience to boss rooms in route C with the dead body mechanic. I remember the hacking tower fight and at least one other fight had a ton of ‘Dark Souls bloodstains’ scattered around the arena.