Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The game looks so loving good. Getting Bayonetta vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nina posted:

I feel like Platinum is kinda forever chained into developing other people's IPs by now. I feel really bad for them to end up in this situation after being found on such idealistic goals

I don't know. The funny thing is that the only unique IP they've managed to pull off is Bayonetta. The rest are mechanically sound but lack in other areas imo (ok add W101 as well, that is pretty unique and cool)

Then Kojima asks them "You know my multi million franchise with super popular characters? Make game of it"

Rising is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, Microsoft blows and Nier looks and plays great so no big loss there.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 10, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Who cares about the characters and story in vanquish lol

Counterpoint: Bayonetta is an amazing character who rivals Dante in sass and style. Also Rising managed to make Raiden cool.

Vanquish kinda falls flat in that regard and having cool characters is pretty important.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 10, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nina posted:

When demoing the game they switched characters on the fly so I wouldn't be surprised you could just swap to anyone in your party at will eventually. The gameplay didn't seem to change but that could as well be different in the full game.

The developers said in one of the demonstrations (the desert level one, the game crashed during the interview) that you cannot choose characters but you will play as different ones as you advance in the story

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's one for every letter of the alphabet.
Unless Taro missed one to gently caress with people...

ABCs of death

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I need to post about Automata because it's been in my thoughts ever since I started the game. Just finished Route A.

-Rewarding players for taking HUD elements is clever and good design.

I didnt realize you can switch weapons mid combo until now. Its fun

Quests are simple enough not to feel obscure, but still charming / intriguing / holy poo poo what no thats messed up

My favorite boss was the Amusement Park one, rest of them werent as fun so far. It was exciting with many phases.

I wanna get better on higher difficulties.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lost at least 30 mins of progress because

Decided to jump into the giant pit while 2B was being corrupted trying to reach the shopping mall. Got thrown around for a minute without being able to defend myself. It was pretty appropriate storywise, but now I have to do the raid part again

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Did couple segments of route C

A2 has taunt button like Jetstream Sam and a
berserk mode like Raiden in MGR. Hell yez

Did not expect any of the twists that happened in the prologue. Intense stuff

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Finished the game and got a fancy title screen for my troubles

Great game. Maybe Ill try hard mode next?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Finished the game last night and been thinking about the story since then.

The story is insane, but the characters are so well done that I couldnt take my eyes off the screen with all the twists and turns

And the pay off is a very satisfying conclusion

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I started replaying the game on Hard and I'm quite enjoying it. You have to learn boss patterns better, enemies are more aggressive and you can use plug in chips to mitigate instant deaths.

At first the game has almost Souls like progression with the way game overs are handled

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

9S and 2B aren't functionally immortal because they don't have YorHa to plug them in to a new body anymore.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Well technically it doesnt require Yorha. Androids have been replacing their parts for centuries before Yorha was a thing.

I think it was explained that only very specialized androids like Devola and Popola had the necessary skills to repair Yorha androids.

So I guess its possible?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

On my second playthrough finally beat route A on Hard. It was fairly challenging since one hit took over half of your health bar. Had to keep proper chips and healthy supply of items

I think I was getting tripped by overclock chip that slows down enemies but they just fast jab you immediately after. Especially route A last bos has some punches with practically no tells

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just beat the game 2nd time on hard mode. I think the last dungeon doesnt have checkpoints so I just spammed status boosters to make sure bosses didnt ohKO me.

I still havent done all sidequests which I probably should if I plan to do the dlc at some point.

This game is still my favorite platinum title after Metal Gear Rising.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Does getting one of the canned kill animations on enemies do anything special? Besides killing the enemy, obviously. I seem to mostly get them when the enemy would die from one hit anyway so it doesn't seem like a very useful feature, at least yet.

It doesnt actually kill the enemy outright, it just deals a lot of damage. They are referred to as Down Attacks in the game

Enemies have a HP value and a hidden stun value that is affected by repeated attacks. The problem is most enemies will die before you can stun them.

One of the sidequest bosses has a very low stun value and high HP so you can do it repeatedly

Its not a very useful mechanic and I wouldve liked something similar to Zandatsu from MGR or torture attacks from Bayo

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried fighting the lv 99 secret boss as lv 60 but either the thing doesnt have a health bar or I wasnt doing damage. Either way died from lack of healing items

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So last night I tried completing the prologue for the first time on Hard Mode. After 6 or so tries I had to quit for the day.

Everything else is very doable but the last boss still has annoying moves that hit you unexpectedly like the mouth laser or AoE smash.

I still want to do it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

'Sup goons, cannot bring myself to keep playing through the second playthrough. Any tips to make it less painful?

Take a break

9S is super powerful if you equip him with melee and critical chips, regardless of the weapon you are using

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'd like to emphasize that you dont need hack like anything ever in regular combat. 9S is just as powerful as 2B if you didnt forget to upgrade your poo poo. People have this odd conception that his combo strings are weak. Even his regular sword combos shred enemies to pieces

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 2, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I finally beat the prologue on Hard and it mightve as well been the final boss because it was super intense with multiple phases, lots of different attacks to watch out for and everything is death.

Everything else should be a cakewalk because Ive actually done it before.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Well gently caress.

I mean for a short story it brought nice closure but bummer

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I would play a space adventure sequel with Adam and Eve as playable characters.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nier remaster where you could choose your main character would be pretty cool.

Never played either version

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ive never played any of the older games but the weapon craftsman in the resistance camp mentions that Accord is the manager of the place?

Is that at all relevant?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The game does a pretty goob job at explaining whats what, dont worry

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

So the general gist is Aliens arrive with machines, humans are dead -> machines have the one directive to defeat the enemy and fall on their creators in the absence of any other threat -> machines manufacture threat via androids to maintain their singular purpose -> at this point they probably begin to develop sentience and the point of the war with the androids shifts from "just cuz" to collecting information and combat data (or did this step happen before the previous one and they were always sentient on some level?) -> the core sentience of the machine's network either goes rogue or collects all the info it needs to blast off into space forever?

Still, I guess my confusion is if everything is orchestrated by the network, what was the point of making an android like 9S smart enough to unravel everything and potentially give the game away? Was that unforeseen?

You are mistaken in one crucial detail:

Androids are not made by machines. They are the remnants of the human civilization and oppose machines that they see as a threat to humans and themselves. Yorha is one big conspiracy orchestrated by androids themselves.

Scanners like 9S are just really good at their job (which is why they are always accompanied by their handlers who will memory wipe them if necessary)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 22, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

How do you manage to get that joke ending more than once? Are you doing the same thing expecting different result?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That's a figure alright.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just grabbed Nier Automata dlc free from PSN EU store.

It has to be an error but we'll see what happens when Sony finds out

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Automata would've been a much better game if level difference did not dictate how much dmg you deal to enemies and vice versa.

I have completed the story on Hard mode but it was pretty annoying because sometimes you were simply too low level to attempt a specific quest.

Also 99 item cap trivializes most stuff unless you are playing on Very Hard.

Its a shame because I absolutely love everything else about the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I can live with the fact that the only real flaw of Automata is that the gameplay is just as responsive as the best action games out there but the mechanics lack depth.

It's such a rare treat to play a JRPG that really speaks to you. Because I like these games aesthetically but the plot stuff makes me want to turn my brain off.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Its been a while but besides replaying FF I tried playing Xillia but I came to conclusion I've probably grown out of typical fantasy rpgs.

When I occasionally boot up Automata I'm immediately drawn into the world and the characters.

9S is such a likeable and sympathetic person.

Too bad Xenosaga isnt available in EU. It sounds interesting.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 11, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Something possibly Nier Automata related, guaranteed to be disappointing and exclusive to Japan

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/square-enix-executive-producer-yosuke-saito-to-announce-new-non-game-project-on-august-17

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That and Platinum clearly wanted to make sequel similar to the original game, just a bit more polished, so no ranks, scores etc.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 15, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The story is good. I think you will like it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

9S being bad at melee is a common misconception.

He has less basic attacks but they tear through enemies like paper if you are using upgraded weapons (dont use his starter sword, its not upgraded by default)

Slap some critical chips in there and you never have to hack anything

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I finished the A-story a couple days ago, and now I'm about half way through the B-story.

Yeah...I see where this is going.

:hb:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

IIRC you have to jump over shockwaves I guess? I always had problems dodging those for some reason

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

From a channel mostly known for showcasing cut content in the Soulsbourne games, some stuff rarely if atll seen content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-aU83aYHEo

Has anyone else encountered any of this?

Developers used the score attack mode in one of the pre-release presentations to demonstrate the battle system.

Im pretty sure they even mentioned they had no intention of actually including it in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Buying achievements wouldve been funnier if you had to do it with microtransactions and thats all you could buy.

Like a cruel social experiment "How many of you are this desperate?"