Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

"I know there are folks who haven't played the first game and are concerned about Emil etc popping up, but don't worry. Lots of creators say you don't have to play previous games, but you actually do, and that annoys me. So don't worry. Also if you really want to experience the first game, go watch it on Nico or Youtube or something. I don't care. They're barely connected. Hope you enjoy the terrible story and Platinum's excellent gameplay."

This loving guy. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Abhorrence posted:

Boar drifting is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEraGFZWoM&t=1241s

Edit: With bonus moose drifting!

gently caress yeah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Demo was very fun.

Note: Hard Mode, on top of ramping up enemies' damage, also makes them faster and smarter, and the demo boss has a different attack pattern and a couple new attacks on hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The lock-on feels like it was added in after the fact, the game camera auto-follows targets pretty well on its own, the only thing the lock-on really does is save you the trouble of aiming your lasers. I'm just fine with playing without it and I might dive right into hard when the full game comes out, it makes the game a lot more fun. I thought the actual "fight" part of the demo boss was kinda lame, but on Hard I enjoyed it a lot more.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

or since this is Platinum maybe there's already a block ability tucked away in some painfully obscure part of the controls that the game will never explain or call attention to.

but also the counter-attacks after dodging give you invincibility frames and move you away from where the enemies are likely to be.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Marogareh posted:

So has anyone been able to find out if you can power the elevator or something? I found two secret areas that make shortctus and I was wondering if there was one for the elevator.

Not to my knowledge, I think it might be something that is only accessed in the main game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trojan Kaiju posted:

How did people here remap their controls? I put evade on X and jump on O because having evade on a trigger seemed like a terrible idea but I keep forgetting about my jump in fights so I don't know if there's a more ergonomic setup or if I'm just bad at it. Probably just bad at it.

I just used the default controls but with shoot and dodge switching places, so shoot was on R2 and dodge on R1
While playing on Hard I also removed the Lock-on button altogether (since it's disabled anyway) and made L2 a second shoot button, to make it a bit easier on my hands to shoot while doing a combo

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 26, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To someone who doesn't know anything going in, Vanquish at first glance can seem like a very janky and boring cover-shooter.
The game doesn't do a good job at getting you to play it the fun way, boosting around and shooting dudes while flying through the air.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The completion percentage is a trap, don't fall for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nina posted:

That collaboration music video got released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEf7p_7MjkM

And it's gone!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Game is going to own

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol, when you go fishing 2B generates a holographic stool to sit on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flint_Paper posted:

I finally got the D ending last night! I'm glad that I didn't just watch YouTube videos of it - actually going through it and watching it on my PlayStation was eerie and unsettling and oh god now I'm jonesing for Automata super hard.

Kudos on pulling the trigger, a lot of people just youtube it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's weird how Yoko Taro's role is being emphasized more now, it used to be a behind-the-scenes thing that only nerds like us picked up on but then E3 happened and here he is just walking out onstage wearing a crazy mask.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you own FFXV, apparently the newest patch added Nier music to the ingame radio

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Genocyber posted:

Got a source for this?

I mean, the demo did

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Monomythian posted:

Automata apparently has hidden items you can find through hearing high frequency sounds when you are near them, you know the kind only kids and dogs can hear.

The absolute madman.

That's amazing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

I hope not.

18+ kHz supremacy :smuggo:

(i can't actually hear 18+ anymore)

edit: if you wanna try yourself: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

I can just barely hear 18 without turning my volume up
19 and up is a no-go

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Apparently, A and B are similar, with the route for B giving some more scenes. The route they took to get ending D was very different to the first time through. It's like NieR, from the sound of it.

Doesn't sound like it? Nier's Ending B route was fairly transformative (not in terms of gameplay but in terms of story) while C/D's route was pretty much the exact same as B until the final boss and ending.

lets hang out posted:

Hard mode really doesn't seem worth it. I keep wanting to think of it like every other platinum game but it's more like difficulty in the first game in that you can change it at any time and should probably save it for a second loop, if the game has something like that. Just funny that there's a higher instant death difficulty when almost everything on hard already one shots you.

At least in the demo, hard mode dramatically changed the enemy AI and gave the bosses new attack patterns, while Very Hard was the same thing but with 1-hit KO. Don't know if that's the case in the full game but it would be weird if it wasn't.

Also, this is still an RPG so isn't it possible that people getting one-shorted in Hard Mode are rushing through and not leveling up enough?

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meiteron posted:

OST already up on youtube I have to really be strong here I can't risk spoilers I just have to wait until it arrivNOPE WILLPOWER GONE HIT ME UP KEIICHI

God, it's so good.

Taro and Okabe were just a match made in heaven

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The magic in the first game was bad :ssh: It looked neat, but that's about it.

The lance magic was extremely overpowered and that was pretty much it..
Nier's combat was actually pretty lovely and mostly just made up for by interesting encounter designs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Without spoilers, are the extra ending routes gotten through repeated content or is there actual new gameplay stuff?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gotta love him using The Dark Id's LP as a secondary source :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are cyborg butts made of metal or what?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lets hang out posted:

But also lol if you think you're ever going to go back to the first nier if you start automata

I will probably play Nier again at some point because the music and story are good and I know to skip most of the sidequests

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It took a while but I'm fresh off of beating Breath of the Wild! Really fun game, enjoyed every second of it. It made me really happy you know? Just so full of joy and optimism. It's such a fun and uplifting game that makes you feel really good about yourself.

Whelp, so much for that! *breaks seal on new Nier Automata copy* :getin:

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is hard mode something I should save for NG+ or what?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow, so...okay.
After first being allowed to walk around the moon base I pressed L3 and R3 and immediately got an alternate ending. This game is already off to a good start

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wasn't there talk of a sub-chip being in the game that would let you parry like in Revengeance, or did I imagine that? Is that a thing that's in the game?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The message that I have set to be left when I die is "[Caim] [never stopped smiling] [at a blood-soaked battlefield]"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ok, so what stuff should I generally be holding on to and what should I be selling at vendors? Ores seem to be worth a pretty penny but don't want to screw myself over for later on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OneDeadman posted:

Sell basically everything that says you can sell for money.

Also, Sell Chips that you are never going to use.

Manatee Cannon posted:

keep in mind that you can combine like chips into higher tier versions, so don't sell anything like that if you like what it does

only sell things that say they sell for money

gotcha, simple enough

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I fought a naked man.
It was a really fun fight.
This game dove right into crazy town a whole lot faster than the last one huh.

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUETHIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 21, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Noticing early on that 2B and 9S seem to swap personalities on a regular basis. One moment she's the one who's unnerved by the implications of what's going on while he's just duty-minded saying "Don't think about it, Morty", the next it's the other way around and 9S is unnerved while 2B is single-minded and saying "Don't think about it, Morty". It's weird.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Snak posted:

I noticed this to, but I think it's about kind of different things. They make a point to establish that 2B and 9S have different professions, and therefor different operational knowledge. So there are things that they each have experience with and feel strongly about which the other one isn't very familiar with.

As a scanner, 9S is much more familiar with signals and communication, and so, while 2B is surprised to hear machines communicating, 9S's training has told him that this is insignificant an that machines just say random words. Likewise, as someone who specializes in communication, 9S has a tendency to want to be more social, while 2B (and most operators) initially find this unnecessary and unprofessional. [/spoiler]
edit: also, pod 042 cracks me up.

true, it could also be that 9S was just thinking out loud and making stray observations while 2B, who was actually unnerved by everything, was telling him to shut up. I'll have to see if a pattern forms with future exchanges like this. I only just beat the second boss so I'm still early

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay game, I'm sure the goofy robot that does nothing but spout existential philosophy lectures when you talk to him isn't hinting at anything. Sure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The impression I'm getting is that the difficulty of Normal will depend a lot on how deep into the chip system you dive

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when can I get a pair of gauntlets? I haven't found any in the game yet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh my god this stamp side quest in the amusement park area. :lol:

"Die, Romeo! Thou stupid rear end in a top hat!"
"I will tear the poo poo out of thee!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought it was a bit on-the-nose that the androids were being objectified