Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

This game actually isn't about 2Bs rear end weirdly enough

LIAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Maybe, but it's probably better to max out drop rate and have the auto collect chip and go to town on a bunch of enemies. I started doing this mid Route B and i had 20 machine cores by the sidequest cutoff point.

What's the drop rate cap anyway?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Wave posted:

Yeah, forty five minutes before a save point is how games should be made, especially if the PC version is noticeably buggy. We should all suffer for art.
This but unironically

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh my god that soundtrack cue in the (Route A spoilers) BECOME AS GODS boss fight. :allears:
Keiichi Okabe is the man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

It took until route c to come out in full effect, but it's good to see the legacy of Drakengard's hate for all children is still not dead yet.

I mean in Route A A2 just casually murders a baby machine

...Wait, a baby machine? How does that even work?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Snak posted:

Have you done Route B yet?

Nope! :v:
Just beat Route A in fact. LOL, the notification after the credits to replay the game to get the full experience was totally thrown in at the last second by SE.
Any thing in particular I should keep in mind in approaching the game from here?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beginning of Route B
Haha, I got ending G where 9S just fucks off to study machines forever. Love it.

...wait, gently caress now I need to carry that bucket again. YOKO TARO!!! :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DMC4's combat system has yet to be beaten imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Maxwell Adams posted:

They never actually say what YoRHa stands for, do they?

Yo, Robotic Hatedroids!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Started playing Route C today and got up to when the logo appears. Goddammit, Yoko Taro. :smithicide:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HellCopter posted:

Are there any stories left to tell in the Drakengard universe?

Oh please like that ever stopped Yoko Taro before.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RanKizama posted:

Makes me wonder what else is unlocked in the coliseum

we found verdelet's hair!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know, I kinda wish there was a way to turn off Perfect Dodging all together. The combat would work perfect fine without it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Seeing Square-Enix promoting Yoko Taro as an auteur was so loving surreal lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's even weirder about the system is the game just forgets about it halfway through and Route C just has normal game overs without auto save

Kinda feels like it was a bit of an afterthought

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Well, it sorta makes sense when you think about it. The lore reason is deaths are semi-canonized a la Borderlands. When you die, YoRHa just sends another 2B body and you pick up your old body's corpse along the way. A2 does not have that luxury because she's been disconnected from YoRHa since going rogue. It is a poorly thought out mechanic for multiple reasons but imo that's the biggest one.

Yeah i get the in-universe logic but it makes for pretty awkward gameplay logic, should've just done away with the corpse runs altogether and just had it be an aesthetic thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got Ending E tonight!
That was the best credits sequence ever. I can't believe Yoko Taro put a happy ending in a video game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn't like playing as 9S too much because he felt so much more limited than 2B, but in terms of story, he's pretty great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A2 needed more scenes though. A2 is great.
Ending D/E Spoilers:
9S stabbing her was extremely distressing for me and I'm relieved Yoko Taro chose not to turn me into a hollow wreck of a person this time

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 20, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Squallege posted:

That cutscene in particular has stuck with me even after moving on to other games.

You just don't see video game characters you like getting brutally killed instantly like that, not even in Yoko Taro games, there's usually at least a dramatic speech or something. It's deeply unsettling to say the least.

By the way, if anybody plays the Ending E credits and sees Caim "cheering you on" by saying this world is poo poo, this game is poo poo, and put your back into it bitch, that's probably me. :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'd say the biggest let-down in this otherwise solid game was the rampant re-use of the So-Shi boss design. You fight, like, 5 different variants of it? The last machine boss you fight in the game is just two of them stuck together, even. I wanted to see more bosses like Beauvoir.

By the way, I never got around to toggling on Hard Mode in my playthrough. If I wanted to go back and do a fresh save Hard Mode run, are there any guides for how to go about that floating around, or at least just some tips people can provide?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Going back to get some of the joke endings, I noticed in Route A that Eve allowing himself to die was immediately followed by machines trying to "BECOME AS GODS" by killing themselves. I guess Eve kickstarted an evolution of machine AI by teaching the system what death meant?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

ah and here i was hoping to get a Nier 1 style post game despair train. darn

Seems more like these are extra "what-if" endings? I dunno, the translation's pretty dodgy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Yup! Hope you didn't do what I did and get up to go get a drink because you figured 'hey the game is paused'.

Just get another drink. It'll enhance your immersion

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what is this thing called "enthusiasm" you speak of? no data found in records.

are there any, like, highlight reels of the stream or anything? don't really wanna watch the whole thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier: Automata is pretty clearly lacking in depth compared to Bayonetta, and not just because of a lack of a style system or medals to earn. The toolset you have is more limited with less clear utility for different stuff. Remember Bayonetta didn't just have XXX and YYY Combos for each weapon, and the ability to switch weapons. It also had a huge variety of combo finishers depending on what button combination you use, attacks where you delayed a button press, attacks for locking on and then holding back or forward, holding down the button to add bullets to your attacks, spinning the analog stick, dodge offset (which is an upgrade in Automata), spells, etc. There's a ton of stuff that you can use that flows together smoothly and each move has its own use in battle.

But again, Nier isn't a character action game, it's an action RPG.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Was it ever explained why those machines in Pascal's village went crazy?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ularg posted:

I'll just use this post to then say that this game is getting really close to just being a bunch of health-sponge bosses that take way too long to fight.
Way to have the opposite problem that I had towards the end of my playthrough

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

il serpente cosmico posted:

How the hell did 2B's memories get in her sword?

it's just a thing the android swords can do, it comes up in at least a couple side quests

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:lol:
I immediately knew I had found the secret boss of the game when I walked into an otherwise empty room but the floor was literally covered with dead player bodies.
...Then while fighting the final boss 9S wouldn't stop trying to examine the dead bodies every time I pressed O to use a healing item :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Jeez, wish somebody had warned me the Emil superboss is just a reskinned Hegel fight, but worse.

And you've got to do this twice for Ending Y?

what would be the fun in warning you? you're playing a Yoko Taro game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, apparently the concerts just had some classic high level Taro Yoko trolling. Bless 'im.

So, five scripts were going to be performed. One about the origins of YoRHa, one about 9S and 2E's history, one with A2, that kinda thing. And the last one, well, that was going to be post ending E.

Before the concerts, they auctioned off a handful of script books, complete text of all five performances. They had disclaimers not to share them, but, of course, internet.

The ending E script had 9S not wake up, leading to 2B shutting down out of grief. Also had 135 being a total rear end in a top hat about it. Needless to say, people started going into full on "This cannot continue!" freakouts.

And then the day of the performance came. And whadya know, it turned out Taro Yoko was playing with people's emotions again, since despite the itinerary not even having the VA for 9S listed, he showed anyway. And things went off script with him waking up, 2B living, and the pair resolving to face the future no matter what pain it might hold.

Classic Taro.

oh my god that is just
:master:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how they went out of their way with this game to make drifting a thing that only boars can do. You can't drift on a moose, only boar-drifting is allowed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ularg posted:

I really hate this speed star quest. I guess I have to farm movement speed chips and speed salves.

You don't, actually! There's a trick you can use to trivialize it.
Time slows down when you start charging up a pod program. Charge it, cancel the charge with R1/whatever button you have fire bound to, and then charge again

McDragon posted:

Speed Star does have a very good reward though. he explodes

I cracked up at how the machine holding the flag is just like "Wow, what was up with that weirdo?" And then he explodes too, inexplicably.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 7, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

I think the biggest flaw of Nier Automata's storytelling style is that it doesn't really give 2B/9S a personal stake in the conflict until much later. And by the time that occurs, the world has devolved and altered so much that it becomes almost incomprehensible. Nier 1 had a family member to protect, HZD had the proving/seeking, while NA has you perform menial tasks for your commanders until giant robots start showing up and you need to bring them down. The interludes between those sequences were the best bits though, Adam and Pascal scratched the discovery itch.

I mean, the story is about them finding their own personal motivations. That's the main idea of existentialism.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

she cums and jizzes sadly while strangling him to death.

your knowledge of female anatomy seems questionable at best

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The DLC also has (non-story spoilers) ridiculously hard Level 130 enemy gauntlets that have you refighting bosses, and reward you with the ability to lower your level and turn off Exp gain, so the potential is there for doing NG+ gimmick runs I guess

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Why, Platinum. Everything about this is things I thought you were above...

looks like somebody is repressing some memories from other Platinum games!

Tarezax posted:

You can only control machines that you've previously remote controlled elsewhere.

gently caress. Wow, that was not adequately explained in the slightest

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 13, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there's plenty of really good subtleties and jokes in the game as is, you don't need to go making new ones up to excuse a kinda crappy boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samuringa posted:

It's the goddamn worst sidequest in the game, holy poo poo I hate racing

it's not that bad once you realize you can cheese it with pod upgrades but the NPC you need to talk to to start it seems to bug out really easy forcing you to reload a chapter which is really annoying

the end of the sidequest makes it all worthwhile though