Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

PT6A posted:

With the flames of homophobia and transphobia being fanned ever more in some parts of the US, it was sadly only a matter of time before something like this happened. I hope all the assholes who were wringing their hands about trans people in washrooms and similar things realize they have blood on their hands after this incident.

Luckily for them, in this case they can blame Islam instead. Some other people care more about the feelings and rights of guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I know I'm probably just kneejerking, but... I'm not the only one who wants loving vengeance for this poo poo, right?

You're not

Artificer posted:

The shooter is dead. What do you think we should do?

Harass his family? Burn him in effigy? Deface the corpse? Storm the morgue, steal the corpse, use it as a prop at the first available pride parade? Just spitballing

Rollofthedice posted:

There is no way to imagine this that does not end with Muslims being assaulted on the streets

Nothing will happen to Muslims because it wasn't people who died, just faggots

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Atoramos posted:

There is not a human on this earth who would see such a thing and interpret it as strength.

Don't care. Couldn't care less right now

50 people gunned down and the good, honest people of the USA are debating What Does It Mean. What does it mean for my guns, my war, my presidential candidate, my posting career, my social media profile. It means, as a late American hero said, Muslims and faggots out of America

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I wanted to see him in court, poorly making his case, failing to impress anyone and getting 50 consecutive life sentences. I wanted to be prison pen pals with him

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I hate his stupid combination bowl+buzz cut, I hate his stupid mirror selfies, I even sneer with contempt at the lovely cheap phone he took them with. Like the first and last time I played roulette I came close to understand gambling addiction when I put money on my lucky number, and the next higher number came out (and then my lucky number, and then zero), I'm coming close to understanding hate, like, real hate. I don't know if it's decency or ennui that's stopping me from going further

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm also seeing some horrible responses from the Log Cabin Republicans that Obama should be acknowledging the threat of "radical Islam" and Pink Pistols saying this is proof all gay people should be armed because I'm definately sure that a dozen or more people trying to shoot a gunman in a dark and crowded night club would have gone well.

Except that there were three armed people at the scene, police officers. It didn't do poo poo except turn a shooting into a hostage situation

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Checking in a day later and yep, still angry

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

On one hand, whoop-de-doo, big surprise
On the other hand, great, now we're no longer just degenerates, we have no honor either

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It looks like more evidence that anti-LGBT rhetoric and social discrimination/bigotry/the pressures of being LGBT in America are what contributed to this, IMO.

Or, it will just feed into the old narrative that gay men are over-represented among serial and spree killers

e: for example, didn't they try their damnedest to find a gay angle to Columbine?

e2: sometimes a pipe bomb is just a pipe bomb

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 14, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I've read that cows mount each other too, and it can be considered mutual masturbation as they have an erogenous zone on the rump

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Meanwhile in Italy:
  • In Treviso, far right organization Veneto Fronte Skinheads put up banners to greet tomorrow's pride parade (some of the slogans are "Italy needs cradles, not faggots", "You are not a priority for Italians", "Natural family untouchable ideal", "No rights for womb renters"). I would translate their frothing, content-free statement but I'm afraid I'd fail to convey its illiterate tone
  • Two days ago, the police superintendent of Varese demanded that tomorrow's pride parade be rerouted away from the city's center. Today they came to a slightly better agreement, but the original route was still denied
  • The former mayor of Treviso in an interview: "they asked for it", "they certainly incited the shooter", "let the gays stay in their pen", pride parade participants need "billy clubs and ricin oil" and he can't call them "faggots" because "the law is on their side. So, we have to keep the billy club in our pocket and throw away the ricin oil", gays are pedophiles, and as a mayor he never would have given patronage to the pride parade. I'm positive he's the same guy who said he'd fine two men kissing in public, or maybe that was another former mayor of Treviso
  • The director of La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana (The New Daily Compass) and Il Timone (The Rudder), respectively a catholic newspaper and a catholic magazine, wrote that Orlando was gay on gay crime. Even more hilariously, he wrote (pretty incoherently, it's hard to parse let alone translate) that having "a disturbed personality with homosexual tendencies" made the Orlando shooter find an outlet in an ISIS-inspired kill spree
  • Infamous high profile lawyer Carlo Taormina (defender of corrupt politicians, corrupt military officers, former SS officers, mafia bosses, neofascists, children in bogus pedophilia cases, the policeman who shot Carlo Giuliani in 2001 at the G8 in Genova...) tweeted that "if it was two heteros kissing, nothing would have happened"
If you're wondering about what makes Treviso such a shithole, I've written about the Italian north-east (in YOSPOS of all places) a while back:

hackbunny posted:

like in the north, there's even today still a clear divide between the regions that used to be in the austrian empire and those that were under french house savoy.

hackbunny posted:

the largest secessionist movement though is, of course, the northern league party, which you may know from their incredibly racist propaganda. they have toned down the secessionist rhetoric a long time ago, now they only want to turn italy into a federation, so that the (hard working) north can stop subsidizing the (corrupt, lazy, parasitic) south. when they still were hardcore secessionists they were the funniest: they had their own radio station, newspaper, incredibly inaccurate history school books, their own made up religious rituals, their own beauty contest only open to pure blood northern girls, their own comic book superhero, I think they even symbolically printed their own money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. nowadays they're a garden variety low information voter party

then you have the italian north-east which is scarily similar to the US southern states: guns, bibles, farmland, small factories built on former farmland, suburban hellscapes and xenophobia. if you guessed that they were under austrian rule before unification, you woulda guessed right. I think they believe themselves too good to secede (too busy with work, you see), but occasionally you do get the kooks who symbolically "take over" the bell tower at st mark's in venice or write manifestos

hackbunny posted:

some time ago, some people stole a yellow audi wagon in milan, and joyrode it across the northeast for weeks. it drove them crazy, people reported sightings of the yellow audi everywhere, the thieves were accused of one burglary, no, two, no they're killers, no, adrenaline junkies, newspapers even interviewed local wrc legend miki biasion for his opinion on how a big car could outrun the police on the freeway in a straight line, are they pilots or stuntmen maybe?! ("no, they just have a big car and they speed on the freeway, where's the skill in that". reminds me of when they interviewed fuksas on the wtc collapse and he was like "uh yeah a fire can collapse a building"). there were facebook groups for reporting sightings, theorizing... as much as it drove them crazy with fear, rage, confusion ("this is the last straw, I'm getting my carry permit" says the typical northeasterner in the typical interview), the rest of italy barely noticed. basically in the northeast every day is slow news day

(the audi? it was found abandoned and burned. some say the gang switched to a black bmw but afaik no connection was ever proved between the two gangs)

oh gently caress! wait! how could I forget. meet the quintessential northeasterner, joe formaggio, mayor of albettone:

("nomads" being, of course, gypsies)

(note the ripped "republic of the north" sticker - the northern league's secessionist campaign. you put your political stickers on bumpers, we put ours on city limit signs)

the sign says:

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!

Notice is hereby given to all:
THIEVES, BASTARDS, THUGS, TROUBLEMAKERS AND UNWANTED ELEMENTS
that in this town we won't hesitate to shoot you if you violate our homes and threaten our families

Therefore, for the peace of all, do not enter our territory, or keep going without stopping

Thanks,
The mayor

what is it that makes him the perfect northeasterner though, so perfect he's almost a parody of himself? is it the shotgun? is it the antiziganism? the castle doctrine? no, what makes joe formaggio the perfectly ridiculous northeasterner is that he's all this, and the mayor of a lovely little town of 2000 people

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 17, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

That might be better as "billy clubs and castor oil", I think? It's the same bean, but ricin is the poison and castor oil is the non-poisonous plant oil that the Mussolini's police used to force-feed people until they poo poo themselves.

Oooh I knew it didn't sound right. We call it "olio di ricino" in Italian

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

Are they saying poo poo was better under the Austrian-Hungarian empire (or maybe just Austria?) If so, that might be the dumbest thing I've read in a while. :psyduck:

No no no, let's not get derailed, it's what I suspect the east/west cultural divide of Northern Italy comes from, because the north-east can feel downright protestant sometimes. Nobody is that nostalgic

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

To end the sad saga of the Treviso pride parade (which was held last Saturday):

The parade went fine. I'm led to believe that organizers asked participants to maintain "sobriety and decorum", which if true makes me angry. The unsaid part is "or they might not authorize the parade next year", after veiled threats of gang violence and terrorist attacks from former mayor Giancarlo Gentilini and (in a curious twist) the indignation of a local skinheads chapter, and a last minute change to the parade's route (unrelated to security issues, if you were wondering). Former lefebvrian priest Floriano Abrahamowicz crawled out of his hole to release a statement against the parade and announce a special mass to ask god forgiveness, to a collective yawn

Anyway, as I said the parade went fine. These goobers protested it, unchallenged by police who usually disperse counter-protests:

It's reported that they brought prayer beads and prayed for the participants, pleading them to "purify" themselves. Local newspaper La tribuna di Treviso did not report on the prayer group, they did instead creatively crop/frame a photo to misrepresent an ironic lesbian pride sign as a "dissident" sign:

("we soberly like pussy (among other things)")

A full photo:

You can't make this poo poo up

After the parade, one of the organizers was surrounded by a dozen men and beat up (nothing serious fortunately, just some bruises and a big scare). Impossible to tell if it was a fascist gang or just an unremarkable group of perfectly average town boys. The area is full of CCTV cameras so they could possibly be identified

My city's parade is this Saturday, wish us luck

Bonus homophobic propaganda from around Treviso

🎭 Dramatis personae locique 🎭

Treviso: backwards shithole in the Italian north-east (Italy's "guns and bibles" area. Other notable features: industrial, formerly rural; Protestant work ethic; secessionist). Has a moderate mayor after 19 years of fascist government.
Giancarlo Gentilini: former mayor and deputy mayor of Treviso for nearly 20 years combined. Proud unapologetic gun-toting fascist and racist (was sentenced three times for incitement to racial hatred), outright called for the ethnic cleansing of the Treviso province (multiple times, he really likes the sound of "ethnic cleansing"). Some of his greatest hits from interviews: believes a communist conspiracy is behind immigration waves from Africa; wants to hunt immigrants (in jackrabbit costumes) for sport; is racist against imported dogs; wants "double zero" tolerance for Roma. Utter shithead
Floriano Abrahamowicz: former Prior of the Fraternity of Saint Pius X, excommunicated. Holocaust denier, Nazism/Fascism apologist, Austrian-born but enthusiastically adopted by the Italian north-east as a moral authority. Shithead among the shitheads
Fraternity of Saint Pius X, most commonly "the Lefebvrians": a religious society, they identify as Roman Catholic but were expelled from the church after Vatican II. Welcomed back by Benedict XVI but not fully reconciled yet (they won't compromise on doctrine - in their words, they won't give in to "liberalism and modernism"). Holocaust deniers; vocal antisemites known to the ADL and SPLC. The church of choice of hard-right European parties (Front National, Liga Polskich Rodzin, Narodowe Odrodzenie Polski, Forza Nuova, Lega Nord). In other words, too extreme for the Catholic church, and Abrahamowicz was too extreme for them

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

drat you guys are so trollable

So, my city, Milan, just elected a new mayor. The centre-left and centre-right candidates were mostly interchangeable with very similar platforms, and no good reason to pick either of the two. A good reason not to pick the centre-right candidate was his coalition, which included two far-right parties (although not the worst far-right parties: the mayoral elections of Rome had that honor) and traditional marriage supporters - and so, good for us that the centre-left candidate won

On the other hand, large cities like Milan are divided into boroughs, with their own council and president. Well mine just elected this tragedy:

He's from secessionist, xenophobic party Lega Nord, and he's all of 26 years old. No idea why he looks (?) photoshopped. His first action as president of the borough council was to refuse to fly the rainbow flag this week, purely as a show of power and disdain (political discourse in Italy now entirely consists of winners sneering at the opposition): flying the rainbow flag during pride week was one of their resolutions, they lost, we won, we will ignore their resolution, we'll vote against it (and we will win), and until we do, we'll refuse to perform this token gesture

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

I actually stayed in your city for a few days back in april, and saw posters advertising some kind of theatrical show where some dude in a black suit, black cowboy hat and a rainbow tie apparently would talk about American LGBT history "in lingua inglese con traduzione in italiano". Do you happen to know if that one drew protests from obscurantists like this pride week does?

Huh, I completely missed that, and I have a lot of friends in local cultural LGBT organizations. No, first of all in April it seems they were busy with the migrant crisis and a popular vote of confidence for the sitting government disguised as a random referendum (note: in Italy, governments are appointed by the head of state, not elected. Tricks like this are used all the time to stand in for popular elections and kinda-sorta simulate a presidential system); in the end it did not reach quorum, government supporters gloated and sneered. And gently caress you very much for making me check the archives of shrill conservative rag Libero

Plus in general they're not the kind to do protests, they're very much about the idea of the "silent majority" (they aren't even wrong). When they do protest, it's about the vaguest things and not specific people or events. I think they specifically keep it vague. See for example, the "standing sentinels" protesting without slogans, signs or banners (as if to say they are just for common sense and not any ideology), against... moral decay I guess? and in favor of the traditional family. Of course they're far from "common sense, ideology-free, concerned moderates", and when they do talk, oh boy: these are people who believe a sex education curriculum is tantamount to child grooming (and have vocally said as much for months, in response to willfully misunderstood EU guidelines for sex education), that surrogacy is rape (one of their arguments, verbatim), LGBT people are pedophiles (ditto) and morally equivalent to zoophiles (same), and that LGBT identities are pushed by an international globalist conspiracy to destroy the concept of nations itself. They idolize Putin. They are in other words 100% part of the obscurantist international

The only true protest I can think of was back in January, when they held a Family Day in Rome, basically a hetero pride parade. It would have been merely pathetic, if not for a little detail:

Originally the Pirelli headquarters, this is the seat of the regional council of Lombardy, the region Milan is the capital of. The council was and is controlled by a centre-right majority, with Lega Nord as the biggest party. I saw this poo poo every day for several days on my way back home from work

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 22, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

An important detail that makes Italy a special case among major world economies: while boasting a 99+% literacy rate, the functional literacy rate is barely over 50%. About half of Italian adults (mostly male), in other words, can nominally read and write, but they don't understand what they're reading or writing. It's shockingly low, the lowest among developed countries I think. Problem solving is even worse, with over two thirds of adults scoring at the lowest level. As much as I hate how "functional illiteracy" has turned into a meme to bully the opposition with (especially third party Movimento 5 Stelle, infamous catch-all for "votes against", including antivax people and other conspiracy theorists), there is data, and it isn't pretty

(Americans don't relax, you're next lowest on the ladder. Nowhere as bad as Italy though)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 22, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Uh, wow. This can't be true, can it?

Man claims to be Omar Mateen's ex lover, says he committed Orlando shooting for revenge

(guy looks weird because he's wearing a disguise. That's... bizarre, isn't it?)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

More terrible news from the Italian north-east, which make me wish I had never started following national LGBT news

Previously: Treviso, a city in the bigoted north-east that had been under a fascist administration for 19 years (not a figure of speech, actual outspoken fascists), attempted to sabotage their pride parade with a last minute change of route. To make it worse, a local skinhead organization festooned the city in threatening banners and released an indignant statement with terrible grammar, echoed by veiled threats from the former (fascist) mayor. Unknown people posted homophobic, sometimes violent propaganda leaflets, as well. The local newspaper reported on the situation in an - at best - ignorant fashion. A nazi-sympathizing preacher (kicked out of an antisemitic sect that had been, in turn, kicked out of the Catholic church) promised a special mass the day after the parade to placate god (yes it's all real). One of the sponsors (a winery) received a bizarre, incoherent threatening letter: "WE READ ON THE NEWSPAPERS THAT ON JUNE 18TH YOU'LL SIDE WITH THE GAYPRIDE. NO RACISM BUT A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. PECULIAR THINGS ARE ALWAYS ACCUSTOMED TO PECULIARITIES ESPECIALLY FOODSTUFFS. DOUBTS ARISE ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT.........SINCERELY YOURS, THE NORMALS". It reads like it was typed on an Ouija board

Anyway, the parade was held (hooray), structured around a mock religious procession (pictured below), and culminating in a minute of silence for Orlando. A black tie "sobriety show" closed the event

Guy in black was a Closeted Angel (he wears a veil because in Italian we call the closeted "veiled") and was giving out parody holy cards (more on this later); he's wearing a sign that says "Beyond-suspicion looking for out-of-the-loop" (infamous "no homo" codewords found in classifieds)

A loving prayer group was the extent of the opposition they faced - probably because the police chief deployed every single man he could, up to and including the forest rangers

Pictured above: normal people. They were forbidden from carrying signs due to the heightened security risk (you'll see that they did bring signs, so they probably didn't ask for permission beforehand and had to be told by a nice plainclothes agent to keep them rolled up. It seems they represented a well known religious organization from nearby Vicenza)

Sure, one of the organizers was assaulted after the parade, but nothing serious. Whew

And now, the update: neo-nazi organization Christus Rex claims credit for a "sober" pride parade in Treviso, a parade "without any particularly indecent exposure, displays of nudity, sapphic snoggings or worse" (emphasis mine. jfc). They then take offense at a parody holy card circulated at the parade (pictured below), threatening to file a complaint. Finally, they say they find pride parades "unseasonable carnivals" that the recent approval of civil unions has made "even more pointless displays of vices against nature", and that whoever approved the event is an "accomplice to the sinful procession" and should perform an "examination of conscience, if they still have one". I feel like I get stupider with every piece of fascist garbage I read. "Sapphic snoggings", mother of god

The blasphemous holy card:

It reads: "Saint Freegida Protector of the Closet Cases". gently caress it I'm not translating the prayer on the back (it's terrible doggerel). It seems there was a second icon, for a "Saint Liberalino", but I can't find it. In a hilarious twist, this scan, the only I could find, was published by Christus Rex. Thank you fascists for preserving this amusing cultural artifact

Lest you think I throw around words like "fascist" and "neo-nazi" carelessly:
https://twitter.com/matteocastagna3/status/670905282202099712
Matteo Castagna (right), president of Christus Rex, at a conference titled "Terrorism, Isis and Islam: the roots of evil"

In other terrible north-east news: a 16 year old boy in Trieste got a broken nose after a gay-bashing attack. Guy who was with him fled the scene so he called his mother to pick him up. A guy, identifying himself as the attacker's cousin, threatened the boy's mother with death if she called the police. Another guy phoned her while they were at the hospital, and threatened her again. She did, in fact, call the police

Previously in my city, my borough elected a far right president. As his first action, he refused to fly the rainbow flag during pride week, as specified in a council resolution, implying that we should consider the resolution as good as dead now that he controls a majority that's against it

Update: hahaha suck it, the seat of the council is now flying the rainbow flag after a successful appeal presented by Yuri Guaiana, former deputy president of the borough council, of the Radical Party (Italy's lone liberal party, responsible for - among other things - legal abortion and legal divorce; currently, fighting for legal weed and engaged in an ongoing effort of ex-con rehabilitation. Love them). I like to picture incoming president Samuele Piscina, babyfaced yuppie from far right party Northern League, as a blubbering, literally shaking mess at the news. By the way, today I learned that he's a racist shithead who celebrated our independence day (April 25th, the day the fascist regime fell) with his party buddies by ineptly (and illegally I might add) demolishing the (empty!) shacks of the recently evicted local nomad camp (which of course repopulated not long after because our housing projects are a farce); witness the pathetic escapade (reminder that Piscina is the babyfaced yuppie whose balls probably hadn't even dropped yet)

e: I just read one of his press releases, wow. It starts with "The terrorism SOS has been launched a long time ago, but the disorder of the Padova Street melting pot keeps reigning supreme. In these peripheral arteries the blood of victims, guilty and innocent, never stopped flowing. Not just gang fights, even improvised with broken bottles to win territory, but the consequences of these fights: deaths by drugs, alcohol, prostitution or desperation". Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't). So what do you propo-"contrasting squatters, closing and evicting social centers, elimination of all nomad camps, regular and irregular, within city limits in the span of 1 year" er, what about the gangs though, they sound dang-"Obviously, we will oppose the creation of new mosques according to current regional regulations and we will work to close all irregular centers of worship in the city". I'm honestly surprised at how blatant the non sequitur is, somehow going from terrorism and gang wars to squatters, social centers, nomad camps and mosques, things that are completely unrelated with each other except as scary "others"

Tomorrow: :nyan::siren:THE PRIDE PARADE IS COMING TO TOWN:siren::gifttank:. No threats or security warnings that I know of, and the weather should be decent. It's a huge event with super-high-profile sponsors (among which Microsoft and Google) so I expect it will be smooth sailing

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 25, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Another June another round of "DAE think Pride is too over the top/does not reflect well on my white gay masc personality?" gripes :cripes:

I don't know what the gently caress these people are smoking. Like 99.9% percent of the people at the parade look unremarkable and boring and not even that festive! For long stretches, it would be impossible to tell it was a pride parade, if it weren't for the banners, flags and rainbow accessories. There is a tiny, tiny, like <1% minority of people in fetish/club wear and performers and of course they alone turn the whole event into an open air orgy of a hundred thousand (... if only)

I'm almost sorry this year I didn't bust out the platform boots and miniskirt, it seems every year it gets more important to queer out as hard as possible before the no-fun-allowed brigade stuffs us back into the closet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't).

lol @ me because I apparently am tough as gently caress and I do live in a dangerous area. I got my nose broken in a fight on the goddamn bus, wish I could have done worse to them than macing them in the face and throwing blind haymakers Still not tough, still not a dangerous area. Locked down my Facebook profile so that carrion eaters can't have my photo to put next to an article about the BRUTAL ISLAMIST AGGRESSION ON HONEST ITALIAN 100% CIS MALE ON THE BUS OF THE KASBAH ("kasbah" being the charming nickname this area has been given by the press). If I was worried about my borough re-establishing curfew and nonstop police and military patrols, I probably just provided the perfect casus belli. Babyface McPhotoshop owes me big

The pride parade went fine BTW, but I probably won't write a report tonight (it was safe and clean but interesting political things did happen) because of my stupid swollen arthritic hand, which I really shouldn't punch with

In the meantime, have rainbow Lulu:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 29, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Wait you got in a fist fight on a bus to the Pride parade or was that a seperate incident. Also, that dog is awesome.

Separate incident, just commenting on an earlier thing I said about my borough

e: I guess the joke is that I'm 150 pounds soaking wet, transitioning (MtF) and I was browsing Etsy for vintage dresses at the time of the fight. And now my vintage short sleeved shirt is stained with blood

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 29, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

So, we had our pride parade. It was huge! The official estimate was two hundred thousand people, although I call bullshit on that; it no doubt was the biggest ever in Milan, whatever the actual attendance. Lots of big sponsors: Microsoft, Google, Amazon, SAP (?!), Discovery Channel, and uh, Deliveroo, complete with poor guys in kangaroo costumes (with jumping stilts!). Plus a brand of bottled water, they came with a cool a.f. surplus army truck loaded with half liter bottles they gave away for free (an unglamorous semi trailed the parade with pallet after pallet of even more water bottles)

Lots of political entities: the Democrats (kind of like your Democrats, in fact the party is probably explicitly modeled after the American one), who were at the back of the parade and mostly ignored, to my amusement; Rifondazione Comunista (the main Communist party, and yes there's more than one); the liberal Radicals, my current favorite party; several unions, including two of the major confederations; a large contingent of Pastafarians, and the more serious (but still atheistic) UAAR; a really large and angry block of the controversial, anarchist Queer Feminists (more on them later); there was even a lone Maoist (wtf). I thought they were absent, but I spotted them in the photos I took: third party Movimento Cinque Stelle, a bizarre technocratic party of the everything and nothing, composed of rank amateurs (a fact they're proud of); notorious for considering a parliamentary inquiry into "the chemtrails phenomenon"; unbelievably popular, they have a huge sway in parliament (which they are very timid about using when it comes to LGBT rights, letting their MPs vote "according to conscience"), and managed to snag the mayoral seat of Rome (think of how worse the other two guys had to be. Also: yikes!). I didn't manage to get his picture, but notorious Italian Pastafarian and literal neckbeard Giampietro "The Illinois Nazi" Belotti was there too. You see, there's a group of reactionaries, the Standing Sentinels (ugh) who protest against uh, degeneracy I guess, by standing in formation, silently, reading books. Clever, right? Giampietro Belotti single-handedly deflated them by attending their silent protests dressed in a cheap brownshirt costume (instead of the swastika, he had Adenoid Hynkel's double cross), reading the Mein Kampf. When they asked him who he was, he answered he was an "Illinois Nazi". Italian authorities, completely missing the references and the ironic intent, attempted to try him for apology of fascism (a crime in Italy), I should see what came of it. Anyway, he's a kind of fixture at atheist events now, and the weird thing is, despite the fame and the neckbeard, he's a smart and decent guy and I've never seen him write anything superficial or ~problematic~

Oh, and the American embassy sent some people too, I guess they appreciated the candlelight vigil for Orlando we held near the consulate. The mayor and former mayor (both Democrats) marched at the head of the parade

There was a timid attempt at intersectionality: we had Amnesty International, representing the victims of the refugee crisis; the guy from Allah Loves Equality, side by side with the guys with the rainbow Star of David flags, were the only religious presence (... if we don't count the Pastafarians)

The current, newly elected mayor faces a difficult mandate: almost all of the boroughs took a hard turn right, he got most of his support from the (wealthy) downtown borough. He isn't a leftist himself, he's a former C-level executive and nearly indistinguishable from his main adversary, the vote felt like a "vote against": vote the neolib against the neocons and fascists, or vote the neolib against the immigrants. The former mayor, on the other hand, was a radical communist activist in his youth, and a beloved mayor: on the face of it, the fact that he didn't seek reelection is absurd. The common theory is that the suit was imposed by the Democratic party, partly as a cynical ploy to use the mayoral elections as a vote of confidence for the sitting (Democratic) government; as I explained before, the Italian government is appointed, not elected, and referendums and local elections are routinely used as "stress tests" to informally measure its legitimacy, in lieu of a proper presidential system. Not that the typical Italian head of government is likely to resign over a failed "stress test"

I mentioned the Queer Feminists. They protested the mayor's speech at the end of the parade because duh, they're anarchists and he's a neolib, worse, he managed last year's controversial International Exposition. He has been accused of mismanagement leading to unexplained losses, but the problem is, anarchists were opposed to the Expo itself and unsuccessfully campaigned against it for years before it was due. So anyway, they predictably were taken away by police, who have very little tolerance for counterprotests (can't blame them, they are huge security risks). What I didn't like is that they were booed by the crowd, because they raise a valid concern about pinkwashing. Sala, I will tolerate you as a mayor because the alternative was unthinkably worse, but don't think you've won me over just by attending the Pride. OK the Queer Feminists' intervention was a major bummer in the context of a recent victory of a not-gay-unfriendly mayor, but maybe a bummer is what we needed to reassess the situation more realistically

The day was warm, the forecast late afternoon showers very politely fell at midday, and I almost gave up going out of the sheer stress of doing myself up, and my girlfriend missing the parade. In the end I went, I was late but so was the Pride, and my doggie Lulu had fun (so much attention! so many pets! so many other dogs wearing rainbows!) and took the heat, the long walk and the loud music like a champ. At the end of the day, though, she was exhausted:

I took her with me at my association's post-Pride dinner (Circolo Harvey Milk, a "QTBLG association" - actually, I let my membership lapse years ago, but they still wuv me), and she got irrationally angry at everyone, including servers and random restaurant patrons. Poor little girl, I wish she could relax and sleep when she's away from home

e: yes it's me just off-frame with the flower dress

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 30, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I'll just leave this here. Italy, ladies, gentlemen et al.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Why here? What does a botched pro-pregnancy campaign in Italy have to do with the thread topic? Was there an anti-gay poster that I missed in the article?

Oh sorry, you can't know, the link is implied. These are the same people who fought against sex ed in schools. They framed the latest EU sex ed directives as "genderist propaganda" and came as close as possible as denouncing it as pedophilia without saying it out loud

Not to mention a problematic precedent for a state-sponsored fertility campaign in Italy

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 2, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Plus of course it's illegal for same sex couples to have children: no surrogacy, no adoption, no IVF. Connect the dots, it's not about fertility rates but "traditional values"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm fairly sure "privilege checkers" is just chess.

Just letting you know that this didn't go unnoticed ❤

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the picture thread:

Trump didn't win it, Clinton lost it.

No, from the huge turnout drop off not as large as the flawed graph makes it look though I clearly see that "identity politics" won. And "identity politics" is just another way of saying that voter values changed irrevocably and the two main American parties no longer represent them. "Identity politics" is no longer a bad thing, it's just the insulting name the old balance of power gave to the new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I instinctively like anyone who got that red title. Considering the posters I've seen with it, it seems a strong predictor of a good person

• Locked thread