Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I've mentioned this before but Obama stacking the previously ridiculously-conservative Fourth Circuit with liberal judges to turn it into one of the best circuits is absolutely the best thing he ever did for me personally. Plus their courthouse is like three blocks away from me so I can go and watch important cases sometimes and that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

We kind of did.

Wait that was the 18th century 😅

Nope 19th was 1800s, definitely the big boom of MUH STATE RIGHTS. Also the early 20th to a lesser degree.

The real test for the UK is not whether leaving the EU will harm lgbt rights (it won't meaningfully) but whether the right wing movement it represents gains additional power in the government, which very likely would. This would be helped along by Scotland buggering off and taking its base of Tory-hating highlanders with it, as sympathetic as I am to that particular movement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Generally the more foundational a reform the more it can strike at root causes. People who get universal pre-K are more likely to be able to do well in secondary education even lacking reforms in that area (which remain necessary) and then in college. That doesn't lessen the need for reforms downstream but it does ease more pain per unit of reform, if you want to quantify it that way.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

spotlessd posted:

This is exactly the poo poo I'm on about. Conservatives were saying "AIDS is a plague sent by God to punish perverts" and liberals said "Yep! And the cure for their disgusting sexual hedonism is wholesome, tv-friendly state-sanctioned monogamy", so how did the leftists who were saying "uhhhh how about just healthcare" become the bad guy?

I mean just consider for a moment that visitation rules didn't actually apply to the parking lots and homeless shelters that came to be the death bed of many AIDS victims and you'll begin to see the line between left and gay disintegrate.

You're right about marriage equality coming in the wake of the AIDS crisis but utterly wrong about the details. The communities hit hardest by the epidemic also produced the most vocal and radical left critics of marriage equality, not merely as a question of priorities but grounded in fundamental opposition to the same liberal institutions that locked the doors and barred the gates when the full weight of the crisis became apparent. The only people who didn't think that marriage equality was a loving absurd response to the violence and degradation that followed the epidemic were the affluent and opportunistic parasites that had other reasons to favor a more normative platform. Marxism provides a much better explanation as to how they won that particular argument than liberal Right Side of History progressivism, I promise you that.

You're right, poor gays didn't want to get married until the eight gay warlocks who control the liberal agenda brainwashed them. Therefore, marriage equality is bad and evil because it distracts from the true struggle. Therefore, we would be better off if there were more injustice in America.

Sounds real loving leftist to me.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

Oy vey always with the guillotine! Can't you come up with a new idea? !

I mean, you'd expect at the very least a Dante-style ironic punishment, like Mandatory Gay Marriage.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Happy coming out day, folks. I'm a flaming homosexual, and so can you! :gay:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm more worried about the trans bathroom case that's sitting in the court docket right now.

Yep. This was going to be a pillar of continued progress. As-is it will likely become a weapon for further striking at the disadvantaged. :sigh: Whelp, time to buckle down and fight, I guess. It was too much to hope that we'd get more than eight years of help from the top.

Pollyanna posted:

Pence is vice president and the Reds control the government. Say goodbye to all the progress of the past 8 years.

What can we do to stop it?

Nothing. Or at least no more than you can always do-- write your legislators for what little it matters. One small spot of hope is that big anti-gay initiatives are very unpopular in the corporate world, and it's corporate republicans who still hold most of the legislature. It won't keep them from hurting us in new and imaginative ways, but I don't think you'll see a new HB2, for example. (Of course, what do I know.)

In the long run, the midterms in 2018 are going to be a slaughter again. 2020 is when we're looking at potentially capitalizing on the advantages of being not just the opposition but Trump's opposition. And considering redistricting in 2020, that's for all the marbles.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

They don't have a super majority in the Senate so there's a chance that Dems can hold off the worst of it. However, the Department of Justice and Department of Education are most certainly going to reverse their stance on children who are going to be transgender

Odds are the Republicans are going to nuke the filibuster first thing, not just for appointments but for everything. This is their golden chance to pass everything they've ever dreamed of; they're not going to let so silly a thing as tradition get in their way.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hungry posted:

What are the realistic prospects of marriage equality being struck down?

I'm pretty worried right now. I'm moving to America early next year in order to marry my partner. We waited for the Supreme Court decision last year with excitement and expectation, as he lives in a state which didn't recognise gay marriage before that, and then we had to wait some more for unrelated family reasons. I didn't expect this election result at all - it seemed like equality and rights were on the up in the US in general, and the prospect of a Trump victory seemed like some dimly glimpsed nightmare, but now it's real. Now I'm frightened of refusal of entry to the US, marriage annulment, legalised discrimination, everything.

So, what are my chances?

Well, remember that Obergefell was decided on a 5-4 basis with Scalia, so replacing him with a regressive doesn't change the calculus there. Where it starts getting sketchy is if RBG or another of the liberal justices leaves the bench.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

kustomkarkommando posted:

A blocking amendment to protect the UN expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity from suspension was successful (by just 7 votes mind). Turned out reports that South Africa would back the motion were erroneous and a clutch of other nations where convinced to abstain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoudartUN/status/800745544029126656

A welcome victory for the advancement of LGBTI rights

And a terrifying proof of the ebbing power of the "liberal consensus" of the last eight years. Time will tell whether the right-wing wave becomes more powerful or if this is its high water mark, but a lot of the things we've taken for granted as victories over the last decade or so are going to be on the chopping block regardless.

Toplowtech posted:

Let me tell you about the gay people (one of the married to his companion) in the FN leadership and the FN seduction of the gay vote:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/how-marine-le-pen-is-winning-frances-gay-vote/
It's still a party also full of homophobes, sure. It's just not their discourse.

Milo Y would fit right in! This is just proof that the Republican Party is actively shooting itself in the foot with its anti-gay, anti-minority rhetoric; there's a portion of each population that would love to vote Republican if they'd just make like the FN and be subtle about their bigotry.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Eimi posted:

This is an idle thought conjured up by my armchair historians fear that America is now approaching the bloody part of the Roman Republic, but why haven't alt right groups tried to adopt the "manly" homosexuality of the Greeks/Romans? It has a white enough pedigree for the shitheads and it still lets them make fun of women and weaker men. Like if they wanted to split off part of the left, it seems opening up to accepting homosexuality on some level is the obvious target, as the tons of examples of LGBT people who would fit in on the right if they didn't have to vote to protect their rights to exist.

The religious right remains an enormous part of the republican coalition. One of the reasons Trump won is because they swallowed any qualms they may have had about electing the manifestation of the whore of Babylon in order to get an antiabortion justice on the Supreme Court. Any attempt to make nice to LGBT people is going to run there The religious right remains an enormous part of the republican coalition. One of the reasons Trump won is because they swallowed any qualms they may have had about electing the manifestation of the whore of Babylon in order to get an antiabortion justice on the Supreme Court. Any attempt to make nice to LGBT people is going to run the risk of alienating them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In reference to Prester Jane's speculations about the infiltration of American education by the absolute worst of the creepy cultish religious right under Trump, well...

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/801147316296159232

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Forgall posted:

I'm sure Internet Atheist crowd that pulled for Trump as hard as they could will be delighted.

Good news, instead of Falwell he went with Mrs. Voucherize the Entirety of Detroit! The Internet atheists love school choice, as it allows them to use public money to send their kids to schools with no black kids. Or they would, if they had kids. Plus, in all of the states where that's actually going to happen, the amount of regulation there will be is approximately zero, so who can say "public money for Accelerated Christian Education," kids?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

and as prop 8 proved, random-rear end groups don't have the standing to defend a law on behalf of a state government if that state government decides not to defend that law.

The legislature, on the other hand, can-- that's what happened with DOMA as I recall. The "Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group," a partisan entity of the majority party in the House, stepped in to fill the DOJ's role. That could well happen here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

That would be a oxymoron because Fair Weather is in the definition of LGBT ally.

You heard it here first folks, everything LGBT people have accomplished they did all by themselves with no help or support!

Like, calling out assholes is fine, good, and necessary, but I've never understood the line of self-righteous thinking that led my campus LGBT group to have a whole meeting about how allies suck.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Sure, there's just no point in bitching about all your allies being fair-weather cowards or whatever if it's just a natural normal thing with no value judgment implied. If people are just venting their frustrations about dumb people they've met lately by using broad generalizations then whatever, people have to vent I guess.

More to the point, LGBT as a concept doesn't make any sense at all if allies are dumb and bad because LGB and T aren't even the same thing; there's nothing innate linking us except being good allies to each other (and let's not pretend that's even the case much of the time).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

None, the point is that it requires a conscious willingness to understand the needs of others which may differ from yours, those needs are not, or should not be obstructive to your own needs, but it still requires you to support people in their own pursuit of liberation when it may have no benefit to you. As any good political union should.

Indeed, and in that regard the only glue is that we are good allies to one another, either out of empathy or rational self-interest or because we realize that injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. This is precisely the same attitude a good ally of any sort has towards those they are supporting, and recognizing that not everyone has the same amount of personal buy-in shouldn't be some sort of moral judgement upon them. I'm glad some people would be fine even if everything went horribly wrong for me and others like me; I just fight so that won't happen.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Yep, the distinction is that being trans isn't a problem, but being anxious and upset as a consequence is, so the goal is to treat the dysphoria not the transness. Which most of my trans friends find the best way to handle, though a couple are still uncomfortable with having anything in the DSM at all, and I can't really blame them for that either.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Eimi posted:

Well they weren't wrong about us being Commies. :v:

Right, the misunderstanding there was that more Commies in the State Department was actually a good thing

fully automated luxury gay space communism and all that jazz

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Brb, coding an app called Shieldbrothr

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

there wolf posted:

No you're just one in a long line of oblivious men who would like to keep making excuses for misogyny instead of tackling it head on. Toxic masculinity sucks. It hurts men, it hurts gay men, but it hurts out gay men and people who aren't men the most. In the broad sense of things, closet bros are more enablers than victims, and I'm not going to mince words about that just because it's the nice thing to do.

Stop hating women so much that you fear even a passing association with their behavior.

Ouch, settle down there bucko, I don't know how you got "I hate women" from them there posts.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Tias posted:

Interestingly enough, rural gay men often have sex with their 'buddies' but identify as straight, because being gay is not part of their identity. There was a study on it, though I can't seem to find it again, it was pretty mind blowing.

This goes all the way back to Kinsey as I recall, he noted a wide variation in how much "has sex with dudes" affected guys' self image and idea of themselves.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

This is good. It isn't the pardon I would have liked to see, but it recognizes that her sentencing was woefully over-reaching to try and make an example for anyone else tempted to leak documents.

Agreed. It helped her case that she'd admitted what she did and stood trial for it, something we in theory want to encourage rather than fleeing to Russia or wherever. Of course, her greatest sin was unintentionally making the career of rapist stooge Julian Assange, but hindsight is 20/20 on that one.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Like literally everything involved in the slow creep towards authoritarianism, it seems obvious to those who are looking for it, yet is innocuous enough to be easily dismissed as coincidence or meaningless by those who value their peace of mind more than justice.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The all-Republican Supreme Court of Texas has agreed to rehear a case challenging benefits offered by the city of Houston to same-sex couples.

quote:

The state’s highest civil court had rejected the case in September with only one of nine justices dissenting, prompting a backlash from opponents of gay marriage who saw an opportunity to strip away same-sex spousal benefits offered to employees of state and local governments.

Three leading Republicans — Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton — joined the effort, filing a brief that urged the high court to reconsider because the case offered an opportunity to limit the impact of the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down the state’s ban on gay marriage.

On Friday, the state court reinstated the case, accepting a rarely granted motion to rehear without comment and scheduling oral arguments for March 1.

[...]

Neel Lane, a lawyer for two same-sex couples who had challenged the Texas same-sex marriage ban, said the court’s reversal was telling.

“It is clear that, emboldened by Donald Trump’s victory, Texas Republicans are targeting the rights of gay and lesbian citizens. Sadly, the Texas Supreme Court has folded under their pressure,” Lane said. “If the Supreme Court is vulnerable to this kind of pressure, then gay and lesbian citizens should expect no aid or comfort from any corner of state government.”

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Bethamphetamine posted:

Disgraced shill Mark Regnerus offers his rebuttal to the peer reviewed study that linked marriage equality with a reduction in teen suicide.

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2017/02/mark-regnerus-doesnt-like-teen-suicide.html

The quality of Regnerus' rebuttal is consistent with his most famous study, and he remains a shill handed a conclusion and paid to invent trappings of smart-sounding anti-gay gobbledygook for use in court cases.

Oh man, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. All the good old squirming maggots of regressive ideology are getting dredged up, aren't they?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

It's definitely a blow and one more thing to add to the stack of Ways Trump Is loving Us All Collectively And Individually. That said, it's not a guarantee that the ruling will end up going as Grand Imperial Wizard Sessions wishes-- the court may re evaluate in light of the new guidance only to decide "this guidance is garbage written by malevolent goblins, judgement is still awarded to the cool trans kid."

Seriously, Gavin Grimm is great and you should listen to some of his radio interviews if you get the chance. I recently learned he attends the same LGBT youth support group I did as a baby gay in high school so that made me :unsmith:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

It's always funny to read this, then wonder how exactly we have anyone left alive in the US at all, given that there are more privately owned guns than people floating around here. It's almost like that statistic is meaningless because assault is statistically speaking rare enough that the also rare incident of accident with a dangerous object has a similar prevalence!

LGBT people are at a much higher risk of doing something with a gun, and it's not have an accident.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

joat mon posted:

A guy named Joseph Grabowski from NOM usually speaks for the bus.

The only Lucy Diavolo I could find is a trans woman writer/blogger from Chicago.

I wonder of "Lucy Diavolo" (Devil) posed as a Free Speech Bus spokesperson and pranked the radio station to speak their implicit end game for them. That would be awesome.

This doesn't seem at all unlikely. The way she phrased things ("epidemic of murder against the trans community") in particular has more of the coding of progressive circles than NOM and their ilk, who would rather die than acknowledge any of us as a community.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

Big news, I didn't even know they were hearing this en banc.

https://twitter.com/LambdaLegal/status/849391234263248896

Cue the GOP proposing legislation to remove sex discrimination from the Civil Rights Act. Or just remove the Civil Rights Act.

But this is great news! I honestly didn't even know this was in the pipeline, go Lambda.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Everyone to the right of the DNC should be thrown in an active volcano. Then the DNC for good measure.

Solving the problem of anthropogenic climate change through radical depopulation, I see

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Aleph Null posted:

Remember that "it gets better campaign?"
No, it doesn't. We need a video campaign urging people to stand up for their rights because it does not "get better" without voices being heard and action being taken, and even then, it's still so difficult and unrewarding and actually dangerous that I break down in tears just thinking about what queer kids are going through.
At least when I was a kid, it was all so closeted that I didn't even know enough to be ashamed until I was legally an adult. Now, you have the Internet giving you hope on one hand and taking it away on the other. Adults going after children to further an agenda without a true care in the world for how it hurts them because, as far as they see it, it is for their own good.
"It gets better." Look at Russia, Uganda, and now the Trump administration (I think Trump gives no fucks, but everybody else has an agenda and it includes making us not exist).
That's the thing. Tennessee is wanting to say kids have to go to the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificate. At the same time that Tennessee as explicit exclusions from changing gender on birth certificates for anything that has to do with being transgender. They want us to not exist.
I am not ashamed, but I am terrified.

That campaign was aimed at kids in high school in lovely regressive places and sought to tell them that there are cooler, better places, and they can absolutely be happy fulfilled people when they grow up. Don't minimize that message just because you aren't, or are no longer, its target market.

Not that urging action isn't just as vital, of course.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

joat mon posted:

It's not going to make it into law, and even if it did, the 4th Circuit would say it's unconstitutional and the Supremes wouldn't grant cert.

Gosh I love the new improved post-Obama Fourth Circuit. I had the privilege of watching oral arguments there when one of the last big gay marriage cases went through a few years ago, and it was quite pleasant listening to an older, Clinton-appointed black judge absolutely ream the attorneys arguing for the ban by echoing all the ways they sounded just like people trying to keep interracial marriage illegal.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone who run in farther left circles seeing or hearing " What's happening in Chechnya is not real, it's just an excuse to drum up support for war with Russia and propagate Russiaphobia?" Because one of the organizers in my area is spreading it and boy am I mad right now. When I I get home from work i can post the full post.

Also throw in "36 states in the US currently do not protect LGBT under the law so...shut up".

This is absolutely appalling. Anyone who ignores this kind of widespread and systematic, I hate to say abuse, say instead persecution and torture, of a vulnerable minority simply because of some misguided both sides reasoning, or worse, simply because they don't think it's politically convenient to care, is thoroughly betraying their principles and those on whose behalf they are supposedly organizing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

maybe the tankies were right :( bougie rear end gay dudes.

Tankies will never be right, no matter how angry a tiny fraction of lovely people makes you feel

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

that article posted:

“So when we’re looking at that, saving lives, of course, has to be our top issue, but you know, we’re talking about jobs here, we’re talking about education here. We’re talking about transportation here, but at the very least the conversation that you and I are having right now is entirely about quality of life issues whereas Delegate Marshall this year puts in four anti-LGBT bills, five abortion bills. A bill about pornography. A bill that’s saying that ISIS is bad, and by the way, he couldn’t even get ISIS is bad passed in a Republican Subcommittee?! Are you kidding? I mean that’s lay-ups right there. My five-year old could have passed that bill, and by five year old, I mean my cat. I mean, come on, you gotta do better than that.

Fuckin :laffo:, a woman after my own heart

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

e: wrong thread

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't know, Maybe they don't wanna compete with New York or Boston Pride Events but also don't wanna hold them in the dead of summer? Hartford Pride starts on the 6th (http://www.hartfordpride.com/) and New Haven Pride doesn't even have a set date yet. Mainly because its a much smaller thing that's only been going for a couple of years. A fer of the other towns also hold their own Pride things but their small scale as well.

Richmond does the same thing for some weird reason. I think like Connecticut it's to avoid conflict with major big-time Pride events, in our case DC Pride.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Glazier posted:

The question now is will the SCOTUS just kill marriage equality going forward or will they retroactively void existing marriages, and even if they allow marriages to stand will they allow the government to ignore them re: benefits.

The Supreme Court is presently constituted in precisely the same ideological manner as it was when Obergefell was decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Glazier posted:

Except we now have a Republican President and Congress for the foreseeable future, so Kennedy might want to burnish his legacy with conservatives.

Kennedy is absolutely not going to burnish his legacy with conservatives by overturning himself, Jesus Christ. I understand that this is your thing but nothing that you have suggested is in anyway how the Supreme Court works. You should start worrying when one of the liberal justices or Kennedy dies, or retires, and is successfully replaced by a Republican president. Not before.

• Locked thread