Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

my kinda ape posted:

I once ordered something that started in Des Moines and it gets sent to Chicago, then to Kansas City, then Omaha, and finally to Lincoln. Lincoln is like 4 hours from Des Moines.

This package had like 2 hours of driving time between north platte and valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DICK DICER posted:

Mail came, no debit card no packages no tools no smokes and nothing to do but wait again

Can't tell if lies or early post.
We have boxxx.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dave's gonna be mayor in a year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

Second half of that got missed, I think. I see wreckers hauling semi cabs and full school busses around here with the front wheels up, is that an option somehow? Couldn't do it on the way to Valentine because the wheels were shot, but there are four new ones now if I recall.

Also seconding the southern route. Nice, flat and boring.
You can't have wheels of a non-registered vehicle on the ground.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Panaflex posted:

I'd be shocked if Danno and his father haven't been talking. I just think it would help the situation all around if we knew everyone's perspective... Dan's dad, Dan's and of course we know Dave's and Sim's already.

I'm under the impression that people are talking to him off-site. No reason to give him extra heartburn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

How are you "fixing" the flats?

Yeah, this really sounds like something sharp is embeded in the tread or the rim tape.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

I think my bike pump is actually damaging the seat of the presta stems, inve$$$ted in a proper bike pump

Have you looked at where you are getting the flats? Is it all the same place?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

700x40 was the size I was looking for originally, I just looked them up and I think those would be way way better tan the 42s offered before

Mine are schwalbe marathons though, so like flats are done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

I have an honest gut feeling that 40 is about the max I can squeeze in, I know a 42 isn't much different and if dude doesn't find the other ones I can give them a shot, but I do know somewhere there's got to be an upper limit of what fits

Get the 40s and see if they fit. If you still get flats and have a few mm on eitger side, let me know. Mine are confusing listed as both 700x40, but also 622-42. Note that tgose two numbers are supposed to measure the same thing and they're kinda wide and have a tread, so I go with the 42 measurement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

Can you fill the tires with builder's foam or some such? Just stuff them full of grass, as I read in a book about cycling 20 years ago (which remains the only thing I know about cycling)?

No.

Dick, are your valve cores removable? If so you can put some tubeless tire sealant in them. Works really well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

EBT card finally works! In other news, the guy going into the grocery store was not prepared to watch me take a quart of half and half to the dome

I think I ruined his day

If you didn't do it in a bathrobe, I'm disappointed in you dude.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have those too because I ride on the beach and got flats all the time. Not one flat since, poo poo works.

Dick aren't there tire liners where you get your tubes? I got mine at fuckin walmart.

Or just a patch kit?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Slime doesn't fit throught the presta stems, I've got a bottle I bought. Tire size is currently 700x40C, the rims physically will not take a schrader stem. I just bought an additional spoon/patch kit today too. Tubes would be useful as I've cleared out the town inventory lol

You need tubes with a removable valve core (good presta tubes have one). And then you don't use slime, which sucks, you use orange seal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Serious question, are those rims tubeless ready? You might go through a gallon of sealant every few days but it would probably still be more cost effective than constantly popping tubes.

Seriously, you can just put the sealant in tubes and have the same effect, as I've been saying. He doesn't have access to an air compressor best I can tell, so tubeless isn't a great idea.

Post some pictures of your current tire clearance and I can see if I think the Schwalbes will clear. They are effectively flat free, a tack won't cause a flat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Yeah they'll fit if I find a way to get that last loving screw for the mud flap out

I'm gonna see if I can cram them in a flat rate box then.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So you got 2xschwalbe marathon plus tours and 2x tubes with removable valve cores due to valentine on tuesday.
The tires have maybe 1000mi on th and have quite a bit of life on them. Put the more worn tire on the rear or in dirt you could have the front wheel washout.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It turns out that understeer sucks even more on a bike. Just causes you to eat pavement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JFC, do you all not know how much solid tires would destroy both dick's bike and body if he road 20mi per day?
He's just running the wrong tires, a problem that will resolve itself by end of business tuesday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

The Schwalbes ride like a vulcanised water buffalo but so far yet Nebraska has failed to compromise them

I dropped like a pound a wheel when I replaced them with (kinda heavy) somas. There is a huge layer between the tread and the tube which helps repel flats, but not great for riding.
Also, they're reflective!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Ran over some cactus, tire integrity remains intact.

If it ain't dutch, it ain't much.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

That's not a cat, traitor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FBS posted:

djdaddo likes dogs right?

I'm sure screaming "ya like dags?" at him at full volume will win him over.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Well I've already got me caravan

Perriwinkle blue?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

The problem isn't in finding the line ends, its in finding the line ends right now, in town.

Can you overnight them?
Otherwise, I think the tractor dealer/hydraulic line shop is going to be your best bet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Overnighting things to Valentine simply doesn't happen.
But yeah, tractor supply or other hydraulic supply place is going to be the best option, provided an adapter fitting doesn't work out.

Everything can happen for a price.
There is, at minimum, a new holland dealer in valentine as well as a few used tractor places.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Chopsy posted:

Oh Jesus, this is so good. I'm trying to explain to my girlfriend why I'm spending so much time cackling at my laptop instead of doing my boyfriendly duties over here, and I'm unable to summarize this entire story without going off on 20 tangents; are there any good summaries so far in this thread?

Also, I literally read more than 80 pages of this yesterday, so I missed some details. Are you finally back on your own bike or are you on a loaner because Greyhound just lost it for good?

edit: holy poo poo almost 200 pages guys jesus loving hell

He has his own bike.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, wait, wait. Sims owns a truck?

Help me move

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

there's a loving trailer???
yeah, what happened?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Whereabouts in Tallahassee?
It is a taco truck, soooooo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's not super consistent but theoretically I think chicken fried = deep fried, country fried = pan fried.

Chicken fried is superior.
I think they only call it that so people don't think they're ordering chicken.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dave, get yourself a warmshowers account (free places to camp). You probably also want to get the aca route maps. They'll give you safe routes to everywhwre you've discussed (they keys, new orleans, denver), plus they'll tell you were food, camping (incl free), and other stuff is. They are so good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The boring part of utah is 80 west of slc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh about that move. How do you think I got to meet both Dave and Sims? :v:

Is this how you caught the straight?

• Locked thread