Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

By the time we're done, this truck is going to have so many pedals, sticks, and knobs.

Well a period-correct 4-wheel-drive setup might have a lever for drive select and another for range select, so we could have 5 levers (assuming one for the parking brake). Ideally it should be so convoluted to operate that you can just leave it running in the bad part of town without worrying about anyone stealing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The lifer lady who works at my local Greyhound shipping terminal is the only time outside of a rural parts store that I have seen someone chain smoking at their desk.

A job where you can do that can be evil. You're just "Mmm num num cigarettes, Oh boy, cigarettes, I love cigarettes mm num num".

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Judging by the MSDS on the Panther Piss, you better start working on your Immortan Joe mask now, for its filtering capacity, or by the time you're done, you'll be needing it for its breathing-assistance capacity.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

According to the book it's either a 6.17 or a 5.43.

I think this thing might need an overdrive...
Am I out of my mind or do I remember it having an overdrive or a two-speed rear-end or some such?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

What up, tech writer broseph. :monocle::respek::eng101:

use an en dash between numbers when expressing a range, not a hyphen

How do you even get an en dash? I'm pretty sure it's not even got an HID keyboard code to send it; I made a custom layout for a programmable keyboard controller for the IBM 6112884 in the flashlight photo in Immortan 14"'s thread and I don't recall being able to assign keys to different types of dash; do you have to use AllChars or AutoHotkey or something?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

Sad I didn't get to chime in with a novelty giant footprint pedal option, but that can be added later.

Naw dude it's supposed to be the doohickey they use to measure your feet. That's what it should be.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'm thinking with flex tubing, you should be able to apply some rotational force to the end to make it uncoil a tiny bit and thus expand a tiny bit. Maybe get some from a local shop and play around a bit before ordering?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

drat, that old mercedes fire truck with an air cooled hatz diesel. 166 furious horsepower. 360 screaming ftlbs of torque, powering 12000kg down the road.

it's 0-60 is no. it's 1/4 mile is maybe.

The Hatz is the engine for the water pump. The truck has a Mercedes diesel, same engine as a UNIMOG, so it's probably pretty slow either way.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Ferremit posted:

That old merc truck WILL eventually hit 100kph on the flat. We used to have one in the CFS brigade I was in.

loving TERRIFYING above 90 tho... drat thing was using most of the lane and part of the verge to motor down the road and had half a turn of slop in the steering box.

Those mogs with the Hiab crane are going for around $20-25K... If the missus wouldnt just walk out on me i'd have another car loan and have one in the driveway!

Holy poo poo, I can imagine. I've had a very well-kept, ultra-low mileage Ford of similar size up to 70 MPH/113KPH once, briefly, basically as part of a shakedown drive, and that was where she tach'd out. Anything over 60 in that got progressively more worrying. Not like other cars would do much to slow something like that down, but bridge abutments don't give a gently caress and it only has lap belts...

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'll say only this: Never regret anything you've done, for at the time, it was precisely what you wanted. If, in hindsight, it turns out to have been a mistake, endeavour to learn from it, but regret serves no constructive purpose and only harms you. Dave, you've made great strides and I'm certain you can continue on this path.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

>YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY A SWARM OF ANGRY HORSE FLIES. THEY ARE PREPARING TO STRIKE. WHAT TO DO DO?

>use panther piss on flies

>THE FLIES HAVE MUTATED INTO 6 INCH LONG AFRICAN KILLER BEES. YOU ARE DEAD.

>EAT MAILBOX

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

my great grandmother when she was still alive would break the filters off of camel wides and smoke em that way.

Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn breaking the filter tips off Winstons in Charade, "Like smoking through a veil".

Me, I love me some Chesterfield, but they're hard to find, along with most other non-filter King Size cigarettes. Pall Mall are no good, they're like smoking filter-tips with all the downsides of plains, plus they're not know for being plains, so instead of being known as a hardass who smokes non-filters you're seen as a cheapass who smokes Pall Mall.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Just remember, Bank of America once asked a dude with no hands for a thumb-print. He offered a toe-print, but they refused. I cannot rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such behavior.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Except corvids. Don't gently caress with corvids.

They are frighteningly intelligent and can mimic speech more naturally than parrots. They also shape and use tools, understand Archimedes' principle, and have been successfully taught to use a vending machine. I insist that the phrase "dumb animals" means they cannot speak.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I don't know what this is all about claiming all of New England has diners. The real ones peter out in Connecticut and by Massachusetts what we have is miserable little things that only sell breakfast crap and close at 2PM. I do live one exit away from an IHOP, for what that's worth...

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
You can sometimes drive a self-tapping or other pointy screw into a roll pin and pull it out with a claw hammer or crow's-foot bar or whatever's to hand. Neither the screw nor the roll pin survive this process.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Can you fill the tires with builder's foam or some such? Just stuff them full of grass, as I read in a book about cycling 20 years ago (which remains the only thing I know about cycling)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Welp, I guess you've a dog now. Be ready for 'im to try to help with wrenching, they're smart enough to know they're useful, but not smart enough to know what for, so they just try to help with everything.

• Locked thread