Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The one thing that really stuck with me is that Jack is kinda right. By all accounts the bubble is about to burst and there's no longer space or time for "grow now, monetize later" unicorns that can just rely on VC money to cover their lack of profits.

I mean, he's sill basically destroying Pied Piper and turning it into a code-for-hire operation, but he's right.

Look at his background - Bain Capital, then rapidly growing companies, taking them public, and getting them acquired. He's the perfect blend of Richard and Laurie - he's got the enthusiasm and spirit of Richard, with the single mindedness and drive to increase valuation like Laurie.

This season is starting off very strong, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sometimes art mimics life, sometimes life mimics art. I sell IT services for a living and just got contacted by a recruiter for an opening. This company is almost exactly like Pied Piper, to the point where I'd wonder if someone was loving with me if they didn't have 200 employees on LinkedIn. The CEO's profile even documents how he successfully positioned his previous company to get acquired.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

2 words: big. data.

I *almost* bit on this. Almost.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

buddhanc posted:

That last joke Jared told before richard tripped had me in loving stitches. It was so abrupt and hilarious coming from him

This, jesus christ. Jared is awesome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Avasculous posted:

Actually, this is going way back, but that was something that confused me a little from the end of season 2.

So Jared, Richard, and 20% of Hooli's employees have an illegal non-compete clause in their employment contract. Would that really invalidate the entire contract?

I thought that when that kind of thing happened, only the unenforceable bit got thrown out, plus possible penalties for whatever time/cost enforcing it caused.

This will likely depend on California specific law - as has been said, non-competes are generally unenforceable in California except in very limited, well defined circumstances. Whether or not that would invalidated the entire contract would probably depend on how the overall contract is structured and the specific verbiage used. IANAL but I do contract review as part of my job, and I could easily see the contract being structured in such a way that one clause would make the entire terms of employment unenforceable. Of course then you could make the argument that a company the size of Hooli wouldn't use such poorly written standard employment contracts, etc. etc.

Regardless, it's a believable deus ex machina unless you're pretty well educated on contract/employment law specific to California.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gohmak posted:

Did Big Head violate his NDA by going to the press? He's going to lose the 20mil isn't he?

Yes, but depending on how the new company is structured and whether or not the papers hold up, he may have transferred all of his assets and Hooli/Gavin can only go after him, not Bachmanity.

Which of course still means he'd have to sell his incubator and move in with Erlich, given that they're a partnership.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cojawfee posted:

If she's a journalist as she claims to be, she can hide her sources. As long as Bighead's identity as the source remains a secret, there's nothing Gavin can do. Trying to stop it or find the source will end up in the Streissand effect and just make it a bigger story. Either that or Gavin tries to get Bighead's money like Shooting Blanks said but all he has left is maybe the house.

This episode was like a roller coaster but it somehow brought everything back to being good again.

Eh, I think that it's too big a thread to let dangle. I don't remember how the conversation went specifically, but the reporter asked Bighead when it happened - if he gave her a too precise an answer (on or off screen) Gavin might be able to figure it out. What he does about it is a different story though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

squidgee posted:

Yes, he is. Mark Cuban literally got rich putting radio on the internet, and has been selling all sorts of ridiculous three comma swag since before Silicon Valley was on air.

Like many things on this show, they didn't even have to change reality for it to be funny.

You left out the best part: Mark Cuban actually is a part owner of a tequila company and played himself on Entourage to help promote the brand. No clue if the tequila is any good, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chinatown posted:

guilfoyle is the best character in this series

This, and it's not even close.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PostNouveau posted:

Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?

My company doesn't use it, but every single person I know who does use Slack is incredibly happy with it. Really what it comes down to is brand positioning - as an analogy how functionally different are Facebook and LinkedIn? One is marketed as pure social media, the other is social media for professionals - there is a ton of overlap, but they position themselves differently enough that the similarities are almost irrelevant.

I'd kill to sell Slack, frankly (I work in IT sales).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

sticklefifer posted:

Did anyone else get the vibe that they're going to hire Bernice as their layman's spokesperson?

If they can explain it to her and have her get it, she could be the one to teach the average user about it. Because we all know Richard sucks at that.

This is exactly what I took away from it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jin Yang telling Richard he can stay for a year was incredible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Illinois Smith posted:

They basically rebooted the show back to where they're a small plucky company in need of funding if they want to take the next step. Except this time they have a less dumb name and a product that normal users will be a) interested in and b) able to understand without two hours of explanations. And they already have a pretty good user base.

If anything, the writers will have to work double time next season to manufacture some obstacles to overcome for the Pied Piper Bighead Gang.

It's a little more subtle than that. Repositioning and releasing a completely different product than originally intended is kind of a tradition among SV startups. Twitter was originally founded as a podcasting startup. The guys who built slack originally tried to make an MMO. Tons of companies start with one idea, fail at it, then take what works and turn that into a product.

It's a very appropriate transition for Pied Piper - especially since video chat is something most people would find more relevant and easier to understand than compression.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Or just how normal they can still be, playing a dumb game that they've been playing since long before they were big. It's a bonding thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bighead continuing to fail upwards is awesome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gret posted:

They're a scourge here in Minneapolis. Everybody hates them.

Same here in Houston. A buddy of mine almost took one out on a Saturday afternoon awhile back, dude that was supposed to be steering was texting and they rolled right through a red light. My buddy was just grateful to be quick on the brakes.

the escape goat posted:

anyone else looking forward to Dinesh's eventual romantic crash and burn? I'm excited to see how Gilfoyle will somehow stymie their budding romance.

Gilfoyle will mindfuck Dinesh somehow. Or somehow change Mi4's opinion of him on the board. Or hopefully the writers have an even better idea than me, but yes, no matter what I'm looking forward to that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

My earnest hope is for Richard and Gavin to somehow manage to work together after getting over their history. And Bighead gets them the early funding to make it work (and becoming the largest shareholder in the process), thus removing from both of them the thing they want most - control of the new company.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Loved the "spaces not tabs" inclusion. Some people get really worked up over that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Snak posted:

It was one of the weaker episodes so far, but still had its moments.

Gavin was even in this one!

Yeah, there were a couple funny moments but this one really rubbed me the wrong way. Gilfoyle smacking Dinesh from behind in particular - it felt like their relationship was openly hostile at that point. Maybe it's just me but flat out hitting someone crosses a line. I hope they reel that back in, those two work better when they're just loving with each other.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

theflyingexecutive posted:

Erlich smacked a kid and shook him down for pills in the first season my dude

And that wasn't funny either.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't Osment play the exact same character in the terrible Entourage movie?

Characters are pretty different, but the mannerisms are similar. Haven't seen him much here yet, of course.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

EugeneJ posted:

He had a slight southern accent and a different name in the Entourage movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stUo-9OLpnU

In the movie he played the son of a financier, who's only real goal was to use his dad's money to get laid. In the show he's an ostensibly talented (or at least highly sought after/accomplished) VR programmer. Main difference is, one of these characters is riding coattails, the other has some potential innate ability.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Toast Museum posted:

The first reports I saw of it said the decision was mutual, but feeling the need to specify that made it seem like something was up.

Yeah. Mostly a matter of optics though, nobody wants to talk poo poo about their previous employee or employer unless it is incredibly well deserved. In this case, he had been arrested (no clue what happened with that) and his film career is taking off.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

get that OUT of my face posted:

Man, Richard is really coming into his own as an rear end in a top hat in his own right this season.

I'm OK with this. Desperation turned Jared into Ed Chambers. Let's see what it does to Richard.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

WrightOfWay posted:

Bighead probably has a keynote speech at Hoolicon.

This would be amazing. Jack Barker sees his work history superficially and invites him to speak. Richard or someone finds out and they use his speech to distribute their app.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

get that OUT of my face posted:

Since it's clear that they're running out of gas with the current set-up, I hope Richard ends up getting hired by Hooli in an executive position, possibly after Jack Barker gets ousted or is forced to bring him on. He's already on the road to becoming a ruthless corporate monster who will do anything to get his vision done, and the cracks in the Pied Piper gang are already forming.

I hate how "reference as entertainment" is still so prevalent.

I have a hard time seeing Richard get brought on by Jack Barker, given their history, but I can easily see them coming to some kind of clash after both the keynote speech when up in flames, and Richard's app met critical mass at Hoolicon. That combination of events sounds like it could be drat interesting as the season ender if the board finds out about both events, actually.

Especially if Keenan Feldspar gets thrown under the bus for the keynote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know a ton about the Internet of Things, but that seemed like a big stretch.

There were a lot of stretches in this episode. Biggest one for me is that any company of a reasonable size that took a risk on this kind of technology would have backups ready to go. No insurance company in the world is going to risk losing all their data (unless we're talking Bob's Car Insurance, run out of a Uhaul van in Dubuque, Iowa). I've worked with a ton of them and they are extraordinarily sensitive to unplanned outages, downtime, backup-restore procedures, etc.

• Locked thread