Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Endie posted:

I dunno: Querious, Delve and Fountain are already patchworks which, until everyone with a pulse and a penchant for PvP headed north, had quite healthy numbers of fights. Even in the last 24 hours Querious had about 800 kills. Cloud Ring and other regions may well be similar but I am less aware of what's going on there.

As regards trying to get rid of the unpleasantries and increasing the "fun per hour", maybe that's a good aim for a game developer to have for their product?

Querious is more an exception to the rule because of who lives down there and Fountain has the advantage of one of the better NPC nullsec pockets (for missioning and just general position to branch out for PvP) along with a core of well established PvP oriented corps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

you'd be surprised, staying unsubbed and logged off was how we had to operate with supers between 2010 and 2016 except for the period right after b-r and before CO2 ate poo poo

Don't forget the final stages of the Fountain "Helicopter Dicking".

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I apparently have 2 bonus remaps. I would just like to learn some mining things a bit quicker and I'm afraid I am feeling a bit out of my depth with this stuff. I think I should leave this for further down the line.

The only way to learn skills faster is to adjust the two attributes associated with each skill. You can do that via remaps and implants. Remaps allow you to redistribute your points (there is a base minimum and maximum) and implants just add a +1 to +5 to each attribute, and you can only fit one implant booster per attribute. Implants are based on Slot numbers, and Slots 1-5 affect attributes, so you can have one implant in Slot 1 which will grant you a +1 to +5 in Perception.

If you look at the info page of a skill, it will tell you what attributes are associated with that skill in a Primary and Secondary form. The Primary skill has more influence on the training time than a Secondary skill.

So if you look at the "Mining" skill, the primary attribute is Memory (Slot 2 for implants) and Intelligence (Slot 4). If you remap your attributes to reduce them to the bare minimum, then put all your points into Memory and the remaining leftover points into Intelligence, you'll traing Mining at the fastest rate you can without implants. Then you can but a implant for either Slot 2 or 4, to improve those abilities and learn them faster. However in order to use implants you need the Cybernetics skill trained and the level of the Cybernetics skill reflects the highest tier of implant you can use. So if you cybernetics is at level 2, you can fit at most the +2 Implant for Slot 2 (Memory Augmentation - Beta).

The real problem comes into that you only have so many remaps and there are only a few cases where you can safely focus on just two skills. For example, while Mining and a lot of the Mining related support skills use the Memory/Intelligence attribute set, the skills needed to actually fly the mining ships are generally Perception/Willpower. If you want to min/max there are ways tools to help do that, but another option is to just remap all your abilities and put an equal amount of points into everything but Charisma (used for very few skills for highly specialized roles) and then just fit implants as skills and isk allow.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

April Fool posted:

My bet is the first citadels will be set up in j-space.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I imagine most wormhole folks will opt for the large both for the extra defense against eviction and the market service.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Sig radius problem aside, I'm surprised it took them so long to finally do this. I saw people practicing this kind of thing on SiSi several times in the Syndicate thunderdome systems. Although maybe it's just taken this long to get one of the new DDs manufactured.

Edit:

Xolve posted:

Buy a Rev.

Embrace your new 8-Low Slot, Purple Laser Jesus

Disco Rev or GTFO.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

It would be like the time in Fountain someone ejected from a T3 we were about to kill and Vily spent 15 minutes screaming for no one to shoot it, everyone untarget it etc... so he could steal it. In the end we just killed it and had him rage about how dumb goons were for the rest of the op.

I don't know if it was the same incident, but there was one time (that I was a part of) in Fountain this happened and it took a lot more than 15 minutes. Closer to 35-40. I remember I actually cooked and ate a meal while it was going on as the FC was try to call drones and players, who weren't warping with fleet warps, as primary before people got fed up and killed the thing.

nessin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 2, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Xolve posted:

This thread is essentially devolved into some weird circlejerk about how "my version of fun isn't open for criticism, only yours".

People are logging in (there was even a "PEOPLE STILL PLAY THIS GAEM" post by CCP), ships are dying, fun is being had (no matter how hard to understand) by people on both sides.

For what it's worth, my Astarte doesn't have 62 killmarks and I kinda wish it did. Well, I mean, if I had an Astarte it wouldn't have 62 killmarks, but I still wish I had one and it did.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Truth. Fact of the matter is that counter logistics is a joke and has v. little impact on anything in the game VB besides the personal finances of the target. But this'll all be moot "late summer" anyway when fozzie delivers his coup d'grace to ganking anyway.

I thought the 3 min timer was already in. Did that not make it with the Citadel patch? Or are you referring to even more changes?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I really have to wonder about FCONs capital stash though. I've got no idea what happened to the GSF stash but even if it's still holed up in CCP-US at least that is feasible to take back and recover in the short term. Given FCONs stance until nearly the end I can't imagine they evac'd that.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

While I tend to agree, letting people extract valued assets because bropacts is kinda the only reason we're in the current situation

Are you talking about the end of the Halloween War or something else? If B-R, it's not like we were going to sit and camp the station for months and PLs supers and other associated assets would have been out after we left, either by taking over the station themselves or a quick bribe to the new owners.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In a non-clusterfuck portion of the war question, what's going on with the Russians? Seems like xDeathx was all gung ho to slap Drone Walkers around and, as far as I can tell, there was a brief couple days of mass entosising which was never followed up on and gently caress all since then.

Edit:
Drone Walkers were flying around defending Fade last night which is what sparked the interest.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

I hold nothing against the line members, but I just wanted to show you how slow, uncoordinated and downright incompetent your leadership is. It took them several days to figure out what I was doing.

Can someone explain to me how stealing contracts to a JF Service shows how "slow, uncoordinated and downright incompetent" GSF leadership is? Or how anyone was supposed to know what was going before the contract expires undelievered in the 7 day period the JF service calls for?

Edit:

Xolve posted:

pretty sure that's :thejoke:

If the rest of the post isn't a joke, then I find that assessment to be (sincerely) hard to believe.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
While I'm bored at work and have some free time I'm kind of curious about something. I know if I asked on the GF.com forums I'd never get a real answer and I'm kind of curious if I can get a PL perspective here as well.

So one thing Mittani has said, both in the previous fireside chat and in a couple fleets he's talked to in Mumble (at least that I've been on) that we'd start having posted ops again. Now I know that isn't going to apply for everything because you don't want the other side knowing exactly what timers are going to be contested, but what about poo poo like EC- or 93P? I get one of the talking points is the enemy doesn't look at DOTLAN but I hope no one sincerely starts believing that because it's a bad idea to be hurfing your own farts and that's what it comes off as when I log in one day and see 93P has flipped with no mention of it anywhere.

I can even respect that we may not form up for it all, but at least throw a notice that "Here is an op because PL is trying to flip 93P so we'll form up at this time to see what we've got and what they're going to bring. Probably going to stand down and laugh at them for forming a huge force in response, which we'll blue ball, to this notice and then take it back once they get tired and gently caress off a few months down the road." Everyone wins, you get the line members involved in the game without deceiving them up front, you get the chance to possible ninja defend it if the MBC decides it's a joke and ignores it, and you're not coming off as lying and/or incompetent on your campaign promises. Instead we get the exact opposite. And then yesterday I see one of the caps ping only to find out it's because of EC- flipping and the exact same scenario is going on.

Compared to the ridiculous justification for the ITL theft today, poo poo like this is what makes me actually question the leadership and want to leave to pastures which are probably just as lovely but least a different kind of lovely. All the little crap like this just really starts to pile up and feels like something is legitimately on fire higher up the GSF food chain.

P.S.
And while I'm venting, according to the last couple months of stats we've got a lot of people in the FC club, and to be fair I see a fair variety of names leading the standing fleets but only the same consistent 8-10 or so leading fleets out. And also to be fair, it isn't like those 8-10 aren't doing amazing work with a lot of fleets going on a regular basis. Maybe I don't see a good chunk of it because I'm only in one SIG and there are several out there which are FCs just for specific squads, but it just appears like there is a massive amount of bloat in the FC list compared to how many people lead fleets. And I know I'm just being a bit of a hypocrite here because I've got neither the patience, temperament, nor interest to be an FC. But at the end of the day, with so many people leaving, it just starts looking like we've one or two critical people bailing or burning out from a serious crisis. I'm also pretty sure I'm in the minority of people who either notice or have manufactured this crazy scenario in their heads but, for me at least, it just further adds to the pile noted above.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 5, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

evilweasel posted:

As long as we're outnumbered, posted ops means that the other side hurfs and either smugs about forcing us to stand down, or has a fun fight. It's not that the enemy doesn't look at dotlan, it's that there's a constant string of things coming out of reinforcement and some of them the other side contests, some they don't. We'll decide what to contest based on what they're doing, we don't want the reverse happening. Posted ops will basically mean that we no longer think that we'll automatically be outnumbered if both sides hurf it up.

I mean, to turn it around: what benefit is it to goons to post ops that we may not do? We don't want anyone planning on an op that may not happen, and that's a lot worse for us than for PL/NC planning on countering an op and then us not doing it.

I understand all of that. The problem is I've heard it, multiple times, straight from Mittani, that it's going to happen. I fully understand the reasoning of why we're not doing it, but if we're not doing it why am I being told to look for it? And if I'm being told to look for it, why isn't it actually happening for poo poo like that?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I'll ask him once he's active today. My guess, and this is a guess, is that what he wants to do is start having posted ops for people who want posted ops - not hurf over an timer or the like, but "we will do a swordfleet at X time today and do whatever seems like a good idea at the time", and he keeps forgetting to get it done since other things pop up. The problem with a war like this is because there's so many moving parts, it's easy for something you know you should do and have been meaning to do to get lost. For example, it took me over a week between realizing "oh, I should put up an S-Mart thread for our moongoo in case anyone wants some" to posting the thread, and that took all of five minutes to do once I actually got around to doing it.

It's clearly important if you're mentioning it's a problem for you (since if it bothers one person enough to chime up about it it's usually bothering a lot more who didn't) so I'll prod him about it to get it worked on today.

I'm pretty sure most people don't care, at least via casual conversations in fleets and on mumble so I wouldn't worry about it. And I enjoy flying in GSF despite my ranting. It's also entirely possible I'm spending too much time working myself up about stupid stuff out of game and not just playing the game.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Got an answer. Turns out I was wrong: basically, the plan was to start posting regular ops to hack hostile space. However, hostiles copied our idea of moving all vulnerabilities to ghost time, so that plan got scrapped because there's not good times to post for hacking fleets.

Is there a particular benefit for you in having ops posted, instead of broadcasts for swordfleets/standingfleets/oppressionfleets when they're being assembled?

Half of it is just I see a posted OP as something more critical to go to if I'm picking and choosing whether I want to participate in a fleet or not, and the other half is just the benefit of being able to plan for it ahead of time. I have no life and have jabber open regularly but I'm not going to log in and play every second, so if there is a posted op for a specific time then I plan for getting my eve time in around that op. Of course all that is predicated on whether you're looking for a lot of guys in fleet or are happy with the average you'll get for current pings.

Edit:
Really my whole original point was more "We were going to gets Ops which means, in my mind, actual critical poo poo to do but then we don't get any and opportunities to at least used posted ops as a gag with side benefits go by the way side." My issue with 93P and EC- was more they seemed like great opportunities to started a posted op since we were supposed to be starting them, so I was using them to find an example.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 5, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CainFortea posted:

It never was safe. You have to pay more attention to Intel now, but it's not that much different. Hell, PH hasn't figured out that putting an afk cloaker in system only works with characters who actually get on ratter kill mails.

I used my freaking carrier to do two FSP finals the other day.

It is less safe than ratting in Deklein 3 months ago. But it's still very doable.

Honestly I've been safer now than I ever was in Dek. In Dek you had a lot less people, but generally they were much more competent and didn't operate in large groups which make it easy to see coming a mile away. Plus even though there is a ton more traffic in systems, most of it is people passing through, looking for camps, or doing sov work.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

What magic recruitment formula did horde crack to get all these people that karmafleet didn't? And then to keep them afterwards.

Let's assume everything is perfectly equal and the value of a corporations health is in numbers as you seem to imply. In that instance Karma fleet is still, what, #2 or #3 in the game? Complete failure, doom and gloom all around.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

they're literally just pos dude, larges are more like outposts and xls are just stupid

He is also only looking at the unfit ones that die in the 15 min vulnerability window after anchoring where you can't do anything with them. So far I think I've only seen one (as of yesterday morning) citadel actually killed through both reinforcement timers and fully fit (minus rigs), and it did a lot more damage than a POS would.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've heard subcap DPS peaks at about 700 DPS on astrahaus, so good luck breaking those guardian reps. If it's highsec, expect whoever is attacking you to be buffer fit.

The fitting window DPS of a single T1 launcher with Battleship rated missiles is just over 800 (does include one BCS), and you can fit two on a medium.

Edit:
And for the hell of it, also with 1 BCS:

Cruiser Missles = 410
Frigate Missiles = 123

And reloads are instant (at least they were on the test server).

nessin fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 10, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just went on SiSi to sit in a poo poo skilled T1 Gun/Ammo Rev to reinforce a Citadel. Takes half an hour to reinforce a shield (wasn't mine, so maybe whoever fit the one I shot at had hardeners on) time on a medium citadel. That's assuming you're bringing enough DPS to hit the DR limit. Don't imagine most people here care, or maybe even already knew that, but just thought I'd throw it out there because I'm a nut job.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ullerrm posted:

Oh, and that A2- buyback program is something else. Not only are they offering only 80% of Jita buy prices (i.e. Mad Max 2: Beyond Firesale), but notice that the person they're being instructed to contract their poo poo to... is not in PHorde. Namely, it's an alt of Suas.

I thought they were specifically gouging on the price because they wanted someone from PH to stand up their own service rather than depending on the outside support they were using. At least that was the message a few weeks ago when I had my alt in Horde for a bit.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

YouTuber posted:

He means do Blackops camps against them. I've been doing it to Theta and it's been a blast: https://zkillboard.com/character/741718438/ People ratting and mining with hostiles in local was a thing I thought the game outgrew but apparently not.

Even in Dek during the quiet times, conflict wise, there was no such thing as "no hostiles in local". You'd either have a cloaky camper or someone at least moving through to another part of Dek or Venal every 10-15 minutes.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The cool chill kids install Slackeware while hitting Besieged Covert sites in a Myrmidon. That's how I convince myself I'm cool. Doesn't work, but I'll keep trying.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
It's depressing how much the "When PL fucks off" message gets thrown around. Where else is PL's super and capitals going to go? They (player wise) can go off and do whatever in the hell they want and be immediately ready to jump on and dunk someone around Pure Blind/Saranen with no skin off their backs unless we're contending everyone in PL only has one character for everything. When PL has "hosed off" in the past, it's been because of an inside deal or because whoever was providing the cannon fodder was collapsing. However the "let everything burn" strategy has left us with drastically fewer bodies in general and, more importantly, a whole helluva lot fewer bodies capable of fielding ships to actually challenge PL and make them think it may be worth moving their capital assets elsewhere to have fun.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dalael posted:

Seriously, I get that its not fun to lose all the sov, but for crying out loud, smashing out fleets against theirs is not the solution. We take battle when we can win and avoid them when we can't.

Just grab a frigate size ship and go roam around if you don't want to ship spin in station. I got a few kills that way, a few deaths. Plenty of fights and chases and its been fun.

I was complaining about a particular narrative being spun, not anything actually in the game. I'm enjoying the game just fine at the moment.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh jesus what did we do now

Be prepared for a day of smugness where we killed an shot a Titan and then killed an Apostle in about 5x times the amount of time it should have taken. I don't know if the FCs were overloaded, expected more agency from the average line member, or forgot how to use welpcanes, but that was a pretty depressing showing on our part.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not even 10 minutes since the fight ended and the entire undock is either clear or nearly organized into a couple mtu/noctis pilots. We may be dead, but we can sure hoover better than anyone else in the game.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dragonstalking posted:

http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=1442&b=7035547&e=210&t=baabqf

Wasn't there, have no idea how it went down, but i guess the good guys win again?

We got our poo poo kicked in, but it was impressive how long we lived and how much we killed. There was so little organization on the other side that at times our logi were keeping up the primary targets from 3 or 4 different fleets at once.

And we probably would have lost the citadel, but thanks to TiDi and CCP it looks like that went online.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
There was no call to evacuate. I even complained about it one of my bitter posts back in April. A lot of people were very careful to say you should get deployed to Saranen and Saranen was our home now, but never a strict "Get everything out of Dek". You can even see conversations on the forums about whether people should pack up and move their non-PvP stuff out or not right up to when Dek was already half gone.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Daco Vato posted:

my Arazu :buddy: is also my stratios pilot :smith: I could put another char in an arazu but then I lose a blops and I needs them deeps mang.

Alternatively just jump straight into T3 territory, or go real Elite PvP and hunt ratters with a Blops.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ullerrm posted:

On Eve topic:

https://zkillboard.com/related/30001332/201605271300/

What the hell happened here?

Also, please work out don't AFK rat in capitals anymore.

e: Actually, just looking at the list of ships killed by dread rats is pretty good popcorn.

I have to give Pandemic Horde credit, at least they're trying to take them down. I assume they do grab some of them, but drat...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Landsknecht posted:

Cap rats have nerfed AFK ratting though, and any ratting, even in carriers, isn't as good as WH or HS Incursion money

Carrier ratting can be far more lucrative than Incursions. On SiSi I've gotten 50m ticks on a basic setup, and supposedly people have squeezed out 80-90m in perfect conditions (blinged carrier without facing competition over sites). I've found Incursions to be a good source of income but I don't get where people say it's the end all be all. Between waiting to get a group going (or into a fleet) at best you'll make an extra 20m to 40m/hour, only counting when you're actually running, than a low skill VNI AFK ratting unless you really start blinging out your poo poo out and running with a dedicated crowd for that. But then you're literally spending at least 4-6b isk that will take you in the range of at least 20 hours, best case scenario, of dedicated incursion time to make it back. If you have fun doing Incursions and aren't doing it just to fund some other activity then you're doing great and enjoying the game, otherwise you've put in a whole lot of time, effort, and isk, into something that isn't paying back at a reasonable pace.

WH money is either not really all that great for the level of risk involved unless you can find a good C3/C4 with 3-4 characters or you're in a decent sized Corp with some infrastructure to support either living in a wormhole with good connections or day tripping into them.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

drgnwr1 posted:

How much does that "blinged carrier" cost? Because that would take time to make back as well. Running incursions in HS with one of the HQ groups will get 200-300mil/hr, and you have a much smaller risk of loosing everything then getting dropped on in your carrier and blown up, simply due to the groups SRP. Not saying I would rather be doing HS incursions, because then you have to deal with their comms, but some details are being left out in your argument.

e: and yes, those HQ groups can sometimes take over 2hrs to get into.

I don't know about a expensive carrier fit, but a basic one that can hit that 50m with little effort is in the realm of 1.6-1.7b.

Since Carrier ratting has to be active now, it's kind of hard to lose your carrier. It will happen to a dedicated group that does a good/smart combat drop on you, but barring that any losses are probably going to be player problems rather than inevitable. You also lose some time to needing to dock up or safe up when people roam by, but how much time you lose to that is highly dependent upon your risk level and what space you occupy.

You can also lose Incursions ships without SRP to gankers looking for the blingy fits or by losing focus in a site and not broadcasting, broadcasting late, or other stupid stuff.

Plus implicit in everything is that you can log in and get started doing ratting at a moments notice. If you've got several hours to kill then wasting one or two doing random stuff while waiting for a queue to pop isn't that big of a deal, but if you're stuck in a small area waiting on a queue when you've got an average of 2-3 hours playtime... Even beyond that when you factor in time lose to someone clearing the Incursion early and thus needing to move (or wait for another Incursion) even blitzing Level 4 Missions (once you account for the fact that you're realistically only getting 100 to maybe 150/hour after LP turn around) starts to make up the difference just in ability to get up and go with it.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 1, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Uziduke posted:

I quit playing EVE and started to fish a lot more. I then realized that fishing is the same as playing EVE. Roaming = Trolling, Fishing with the boat still = gate camping/hot dropping.

Puttering down a river full of Asian Carp = Crossing Saranen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Real talk, I didn't even know pings would generate a sound. First thing I do when installing any new piece of software, Pidgin included, is turn off all sounds because they're almost always annoying and pointless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Nazareth posted:

:smugdon: This is obviously reverse psychology. The best reverse psychology. The fact is you just don't understand.

(What is this sun spot exploit)

It used (maybe still is?) to be possible to warp to the sun and get stuck in the middle of it on warp in. When that happens you get violently ejected out at insane speeds making it basically impossible to catch you. But that doesn't happen for a few seconds so if you bookmark the spot and warp to it you've got time to light a cyno and have people jump to you, which causes them to get flung out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Divine Blob posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean I THINK it's better having a crappy one logi, than no logi at all but I guess they prefer the opposite.

In small corps that only field small gangs, an extra DPS can be better than a T1 Logi if they're built around only having a couple logistics pilots. Or if you've only got one logi pilot a T2 can be fit to have a strong buffer with the DPS using rep drones, something much harder to do with a T1 ship.

That should only be very specific/serious business comps though, and if they're making that a general statement then they're probably elitist idiots.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Hole Squad talk, I think my brief time in it has shown me the light of eve. I liked going out in small 5-10 man roams. Like, more than anything else I've done in Eve. Just couldn't handle the actual living in a hole (really it was mostly just the tedium of scanning down systems). That and you live or die by having scouts all over the place, and that was just too much like work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

My fitting project is coming along nicely:

I'm wondering if it should have a grappler instead of a web though.

I feel like you've kinda wussed out on the adaptive invul and not going for a syndicate damage control.

• Locked thread