Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CommonShore posted:

My instincts tell me that you're basing this on your impression of GSF during the time that you were in TopGoon, and therefore you're working from your experiences with Trephination, Guuldaan, and Sothrasil. Those guys have a habit of trying to put themselves on a pedestal as FCs because they have aspirations of space important, so for them to be An FC (or a "TopGoon FC") means that they're super special and important and better than the regular plebes because they've been vetted and proven and all of this poo poo, and so if you're not An FC, you need to shut up and listen to them until you're An FC (which you never will be because you're, of course, not as good and important as them).

Jesus, if I had the insurance payouts from every time that those guys went and did something that I told them to not do on the grounds that they were Official FCs and they know better than me and they're going to do it anyway, I'd be Querns.

Soth seemed chill from what I remember from TopGoon 2014 provi fun, what happened :ohdear: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CommonShore posted:

In fact, now that I think about it, if anything he was too chill. He was so desperate to be putting up paplinks with big "impressive" numbers that he'd let any kind of drooling idiot into fleet, no matter how bad they were at EVE or at being a human being. That's how we ended up with people like Johnny Rah and Futility spewing diarrhea over comms all day and getting other people's ships killed and forcing all of the good people quit because they didn't want to be around them anymore, and Soth was too "chill" to kick anyone. And then TopGoon died.

That's what happened.

That sucks. TopGoon shenanigans helped keep me cheerful while burning out of grad school. I don't remember the horrible drooling idiots much so either I tuned them out or I was one :ohdear:.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CommonShore posted:

What's your eve name. It's possible that you weren't there for this bullshit.

Asurmen Vendici.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CommonShore posted:

You're cool.

(e. I'm Don Gately :skink:)

:unsmith:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Actually he has been ratting in it all day. He was too easy to spook so we nabbed a thanatos instead. Then he warped the aeon in to save the thanatos, and well.

Note this is all second hand. But so far in the last week we've killed about five carriers, one dread, now a super, and a crapload of rattlesnakes.

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and say these paisti syndicate guys stupid as gently caress and are going to get murdered by the bakers dozen and Horde has a better chance of keeping Fade than these jackasses do dek.

We were trying to snag 4 ratting carriers + him but were being slow and they all gated/jumped out. We tackled the last carrier on the other side of the gate and he cyno'd in 4 more carriers and then the Aeon warped over to help.

After we killed the first carrier and almost the second all the carriers pulled drones and started trying to bail. We killed one more and almost another before they gated out leaving the Aeon to die. The Aeon just sat there trying to smartbomb us while Travis Wells kept him bubbled.

The dread we got yesterday was my first cap kill ever, two carriers and a super today, black ops is pretty fun.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

He'll only post in threads that aren't made by Eonwe because he apparently is still butthurt over being mocked by Eonwe over the ArcheAge stuff.

I kicked boat out of the ArcheAge guild once, best thing that I did in that game.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Also it turns out I had 500mil of stuff without collateral, welp.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

That was stolen?

Yeah, I was used to never adding collateral to goon courier contracts.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Link your pilots name.

PM'd.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

We need more adorable videogames posts y'all are getting too mad at video games in here.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

A majority of people who read this thread are regular goons thinking "This game sounds interesting. Let's see what's going on in thi OH DEAR GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVE GOONS!?"

Then they flee and never return.

It's recovering.

Are there any drama free goon MMO threads? Asking for a friend.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Everytime this thread brings up what happened to topgoon I feel sad :smith:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

:ohdear: Jesus Christ guys its just a video game

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's a good post, but when most of us talk about the "Big College" atmosphere of GSF we're talking about it in the past tense. Unironically however with GSF strategic tempo basically being "Wulfpax" now would be a great time for the old combat squads to come back to life and do things, because those old combat squads basically operated in said "Wulfpax".

I'd try to get Topgoon back on it's feet but I really, really, really don't want to be the guy in charge of it again.

Bring back Topgoon kill Soth and Guuldan

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

this unironically

not that I play or anything

luv2overwatch

Havent played Eve since Stellaris and Overwatch came out.

:unsmith:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

So after making a few jokes about it I've been getting a lot of jabber PM's and other PMs and a few steam convos.

So I'll ask the eve thread: Anyone interested in a covert hotdrop squad with a hilarious 80's gimmick... if you know what I'm saying? I'm already talking to a few key people to help me get things rolling again.

Do it

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

:getin:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I've been winning for most of the year now but have a serious urge to hotdrop people. How did all the citadel poo poo turn out and is the game/thread still garbage?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ullerrm posted:

Citadels are a mix of good and bad.

Good:
* Can build infrastructure in null and not risk getting all your possessions hellcamped/deadzoned due to the joys of asset stasis
* Godsend for J-space
* Pretty good at killing caps if properly configured and manned
* Allows you to move caps risk-free (and supers with minimal risk)

Bad:
* Everyone's spamming Astrahuses everywhere and making GBS threads up overviews
* Doesn't automatically kill poo poo like a POS would
* Still can't insure ships
* Still can't repair items without fitting them to a ship undocking, which means you can't trivially repackage and contract items with 1% damage on them

Dumb:
* Keepstars can be anchored in J-systems and are basically indestructible once refitted (and Fortizars are close-to-indestructible)
* You can anchor them 1000km off a POS, and the POS will auto-attack targets -- and yes, faction XL arty batteries can hit a moving T3 from 1000km away

Overall, game's not in bad shape. There's still some dumb balancing odds-and-ends that need to be done (tiericided turrets, rebalancing blops and AFs, panic rorqual tackler being OP garbage, machariel still top-tier PvP BS with no real competition, etc), and sov mechanics are pure stupid garbage. OTOH, citadels ended up okay, the Svipul finally got nerfed (altho it's still a very good ship), ganglinks rebalance turned out okay, and poo poo is reasonably fun.

Politics wise: PLNCH have continued to murder or absorb nearly every single alliance they were blue to this year, and Horde now has to roam multiple regions away to get content, which has produced lots of drama. Goons have rebuilt in Delve and are pretty much back to 2012 levels. CO2 and TEST have decided that it's a good idea to invade Stain Russians in the middle of winter, because PGL promises it'll totally work this time.

Excellent summary, thanks!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

First day back with blops and killed like 20 bil of stragglers in 0 tidi. Feels good.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

iospace posted:

Alright, thanks. Do you know why they left or no?

This is one of the things about Eve I love that other MMOs don't have: you get back in and immediately make a difference after a long break. No leveling to from 85 to 110 or some poo poo.

Also, if you were subbed but didn't have a queue, petition CCP to get your skillpoints back!

Yeah do this, I left my account subbed for a year after I quit grad school and when I came back in April I got all the SP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Or Daggoth Ur.

Dealing Daggoth Ur in topgoon (I think? Might have been blops stuff) was so loving painful that I still remember his name after years.

• Locked thread