Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
onryoki sure has some darksouls 2 level tracking on those loving balls, insert a gif here of him magnetizing the balls backwards out of his hand and behind his back to slam me :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

i feel like every single half-baked complaint about dark souls was essentially their GDD for this game

this might be the first game in my life i take a pass on because it's too difficult. i guess this is what getting old means

alternatively, dual swords are loving hot trash poo poo garbage and i'm just being overly punished for taking a massive handicap, but :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Dual swords, and by extension Water Sword, is broken as all hot gently caress.

All enemies go down to the meat thresher! Hi, are you one of those low level Yokai that wants to jump on and poison me? You just fell down? Time to get eviscerated.

High level Yokai? No problem, get in the thresher! Got a human up against a wall? They better hope they told their loved ones goodbye, because they're not coming home.

I may like this game too much.

water sword is by far the least successful technique i've attempted in the DS tree, 100% of the time i've just been slapped in the face for all attempts at it, even against yin-yang'd youkai with zero ki

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lakbay posted:

What's the best way to use dual katanas? They seem to have the exact same problems as daggers in dark souls because they don't stagger too well and the speed pales in comparison to the dps of the other, slower weapons

1. get a buddy, this is the best and easiest thing to do, dual swords just aren't great at handling threats up front

2. if you hate putzing around with perfect ki-pulsing, dont use these weapons, Flux is massively important for damage on these more than any of the others

3. reforge an element on there
3a. invest in magic so you can have EVEN MORE element

4. invest in smoke bombs if you're feeling saucy? they currently completely negate aggro and leave enemies functionally stunned, so you can go up and blend them with water slashes or w/e

5. get all of the ki regen passives for guarding

6. use light armor, stay below 60% burden or whatever that number is for maximum agility

7. you know how your critical attacks suck? follow them up with iai strikes, the timing is such that almost every single enemy will wakeup straight into it after you execute a critical

8. just use more iai strikes in general, they're unblockable and while fairly punishable, you often get thrown past the enemy far enough to revert back to guarding

e: 9. general gameplay tip: if you gently caress up and get hit, don't mash dodge, hold down the block button. you cannot dodge out of hitstun, but you can block out of it

some hot tips i have stumbled upon in my equally futile quest to play only dual swords and feeling the same problems. like, unfortunately, dual swords are pretty rear end if you just want a grab-and-go weapon. they require a fuckload of setup for everything and a whole lot of unfun micromanagement.

pick a different weapon.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 28, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

like okay here we go, i've been using dual swords since i started the demo earlier in the week, have used nothing else, i have no samurai points invested anywhere else

i've been trying to kill tachibana for literal days, never getting further than roughly 50% with the odd 10% here or there before succumbing.

i switched to longsword and won in two attempts despite knowing nothing about the weapon combos and having no auxiliary skills invested, active/passive/otherwise.

jfc :bang:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Just like in dark souls 3!

at least dark souls 3 still had good pyromancy :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Onryo gets hit hard with this. He will grab a ball and turn to face the visitor, and then the ball will launch violently out of his back to wreck your poo poo with full, hateful force. It was hilarious the first time but drat does it get annoying.

He does that entirely without there needing to be a coop member along with you. It's real dumb.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I haven't tried any co-op stuff and I've never seen him do that. :shrug:

Rolled up to do a recording of it and the demo hardcrashed :lol:

Believe me, with something like DS that let you bounce around really fast, if you ever actually get behind him the thing just shoots backwards out of his hand. I was complaining about it earlier in the thread. It has happened on 100% of my fights with onryo

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Posting this because I can't actually tell if these weird japanese people are being sarcastic about it or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCZGfYGJFc&t=3467s

"We're hoping for a less than 40... 30? Less than 30% clear rate on the upcoming demo" (the beta)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Couldn't you just play Chivalry though? Or Mount and Blade?

why play toukiden when you could just play monster hunter

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Western Souls-fanbase bias in strong effect here.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Hopefully it won't be bugged and I can redeem them properly. I got the bat helmet from the beta demo but the oni mask that came from the first boss didn't apply to my account properly.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RatHat posted:

The problem I had with the ogre is the tracking on the cannonballs was insane. Like you'd run behind him as he's throwing it and the ball would come out of his hand BACKWARDS

Does he still do this stupid poo poo

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone here unable to access "Mark of the Conquerer" after beating the Ogre? It let me download Mark of the Strong just fine.

I've beaten all three demos let me get my stupid loving hat :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

To folks who played the earlier demos and aren't sure if they got the conqueror mark, check your Sony media history

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Chachi posted:

Any tips on how to do this? Web searches aren't illuminating.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/account/ Manage Account, Media, tab through the bullshit and check the various Nioh entries you should have.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

can't believe trump is president

same

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Why not just i-frame the actual hit and not try to distance yourself

because monster hunter and dark souls have way more iframes than this game :saddowns:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

All these things are in the advanced tutorial that was in the last chance trial.

An actual little known mechanic is that if you manage to inflict two different elemental debuffs on a yokai they will be afflicted by a debuff that looks like a yingyang. Having the debuff will set their Ki to 0 and all attacks do double damage in addition to the effects of the two other debuffs applied.

For anybody actually looking for info on this, the mechanic is called "Discord"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I saw someone suggest that the hidden teahouse would let you play as other characters (just visually) but they probably made that up

No, this is how it works. The whole "multiple characters" thing is a farce, you play as William and can unlock body transformation magic to "play as "different" characters".

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RatHat posted:

And that info comes from...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXJRkjn-b4

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/nioh-mark-of-the-conqueror-dlc/cid=UP4108-CUSA03978_00-NIOHTRIALGYOSON1

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Has anybody made a discord server for this game that comes out in like 3 freakin' days? If not, I'll probably make one tonight if Belzac doesn't

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lets hang out posted:

wasn't someone making a discord

Yeah, I'll post the link to it in a bit, the app is acting up on my phone

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lets hang out posted:

wasn't someone making a discord

https://discord.gg/25cFFs6

Everyone join and come hype out in the channel for the next 30 hours :toot:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

Everyone join and come hype out in the channel for the next 30 hours :toot:

repost for latest page, only 24 hours remain

Emalde
May 3, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

...Got a link?

edit: Oh, thought we had a Nioh specific goon server.

It was on the top of the page you both posted on and the one before that :mad:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Yeah I ended up just staying in that stance unless I had a decent window for a beefier attack.

If I use soul match to buff a piece of armor with a set bonus (like the pre-order items, for example) does the new creation lose the set bonus?

Nope. Run that Sanada set until the end of time.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Aloofa posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a few times but I'm wondering how easy it is to play co op. I typically play Souls style games completely co op. Is there a limit to how often you can summon? I was only able to finish the tutorial level and fight my way a bit on the first level. I didn't see any options to summon yet.

Can't coop unless your partner has already beaten the level. It's bad.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Harrow posted:

Or don't do that and just be like who the gently caress cares if someone decides they want to blaze through the game on easy mode with their buddy who already beat the game.

My issue is that this right here is essentially the only form of coop, which really detracts from the experience. I want somebody to struggle WITH, not for somebody to eliminate all challenge entirely.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Umi-bozu can eat my loving rear end.

Use fire :supaburn:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

quote:

“You cannot co-op through the entire game because that would make it too easy for players to beat the game,” said Tom Lee, creative director at Team Ninja in an emailed statement. “We want players to experience Nioh in how it was intended to be. We allowed players to co-op anytime in the last trial demo only because of the limited stages and time to try out the demo.”

http://kotaku.com/nioh-devs-say-they-changed-co-op-so-it-wouldnt-be-too-e-1792142225

"We want players to experience getting carried super hard by other people" is all I hear

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So how is the magic in this game compared to the Souls series? That's one thing I've been curious to see if they did right. Magic in Souls has always been pretty lacking. I haven't watched anyone that's actually used the omnyo magic though.

The omnyo mage enemies have the best voice acting.

If souls was "pretty lacking" for you, then you may as well consider the magic in this game to not exist at all.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yo does anybody know what determines if an armor set gets added to the forge list at the blacksmith? It seems 100% arbitrary.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

If you ever need elixirs and are mad you can't buy any, just dump all of your elixir into storage, load up a level (in a region you have more kodama in obviously), himorogi fragment out, repeat process infinitely until capped out.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Harrow posted:

Question about equipment sets that I'd test myself if I was home:

When a set includes a weapon in its set bonus, does that weapon have to be my active weapon for it to count for the set bonus, or does it just have to be in one of my weapon slots? Like, the Warrior of the West set includes his katana. If I switch over to my secondary spear for a while, am I losing a tier of the set bonus?

Just has to be in a slot.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

gently caress Umibozu it wouldn't be so bad if half the time I didn't die due to falling in the god drat water.

this was shared in the discord

:siren: everybody do this to beat umi bozu with no effort :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxm25XsyNc

Emalde
May 3, 2007

How to remove 100% of the challenge of this game.

Step 1: Get a guardian spirit with an A- or higher in Gauge Rate and a B or higher in Recovery.

Step 2: Extraction Talismans.

Welcome to Nioh: Super Easy Mode.

Additionally, stat points in Spirit improve all aspects of Living Weapon, and there is an Onmyo passive you can take to extend it even further. If you feel like really throwing the fishing net out, you can slot the 100 amrita soulstones on your hotbar to pump up living weapon/maintain the duration.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

why even bother co-oping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Once you've beat this game could you, in theory, new game + it with a friend full co-op style ?

Yes, since NG+ is just a toggle for the missions you've already cleared.