Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Do PSN pre-orders unlock at midnight?

Yep, you should have a countdown telling you so when you pre-order, it also pre-loads about 2 days before launch.

I'm super excited, haven't been this hype for a game in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seems about right.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Polygon won't have a Nioh review in time for the release cause the games to hard for them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From what I've heard, the game has a difficulty spike starting out then levels out as you get better gear which seems about right.

I beat both Ninja Gaiden's on Master Ninja so I'm curious if that knowledge will help me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Just to triple check, the digital deluxe edition comes with the season pass?

I should probably just get it...

Season pass and some extra armor and poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oriental Hugs posted:

Anybody has experience pre ordering ps4 games on greenmangaming? I managed to buy it digital for 57 dollars with no tax. Just hoping I get to preload by monday.

Pre-loads on the 5th.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really cool thing about new game+

THIS IS NOT A PLOT SPOILER SO FEEL FREE TO MOUSE OVER THIS :siren:

You aren't tied to the new game+ like in souls game, its just an additional difficulty level added to missions, you can still do missions in new game if you want or just to gently caress around, not only that but new game+ takes a page from Souls 2 and Ninja Gaiden and switches up enemy lay-outs and adds more enemies to boot in both the normal and twilight variations.

Also right now there's a level 310 new game+ twilight mission. :stare:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf lmao posted:

What's the deal with no major reviews out yet?

Supposedly Polygon spent 8 hours in the first area alone and only managed to finish it thanks to coop.

Not sure on other outlets but there's a lot of revies around already.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

So apparently this is the kind of thing you can expect in ng+ (boss spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/IcBTbft.jpg

Yea that owns.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing a month's work of med school poo poo so I can play with no worries.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kusari gama is the greatest weapon in the history of ever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Aaaagh I've gotten the second real boss bat lady down to a loving sliver of health twice, but she's so hard. One wrong move and you're totally hosed.

Problem is, I've gone though all my consumables. Now I'm in this lovely spot where I have to either farm elixirs in this area without leaving, OR go home and then start the level all over from the start.

At least when bloodborne or demon's souls made you farm consumable health items, they let you warp right back. This is rough. They should really just give you elixirs for free, up to as many as you can carry. Or like, half that many, or SOMETHING.

Anyways the fights and the environments in this game are loving amazing and even though I've died to the second real boss several times, I'm still wanting more. Great game.

I found her pretty easy to be honest, though I did have experience with her from the beta. :sweatdrop:

Key things are her biggest openings is when she swoops at you and when she does her little combo with kicks but ONLY if she attacks 3 times, also remember to stay in low stance when she's shooting crap at you as that stance has the highest I frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTHh5heTcI

Here's me killing her on my first go, she got me once with the paralysis.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Yeah. I finally got him dead.

Just have to dodge way later in this game than any Souls game. A lot more like character action titles, which makes sense I guess because of Team Ninja. Mechanically it is much more like a character action title and it feels great. But because of the game systems outside of combat my brain keeps firing on instincts I have developed for the Souls series. I'll get used to it by the end of the day.

I'm a big fan of the dynamic voice acting. I wish more games (and film and tv) would do it, rather than just have everyone speaking one language in situations where it doesn't make sense.

Remember that low stance has the most active i frames of any stance.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Games goddamn system is so loving good, switching stances, ki bursing, flux, dodging like a champ and clowning on everything, never mind how versatile weapons are.

I'm only on mission 3 and I'm already planning on doing a dual sword/axe playthrough, focusing on katana/kusari for now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to patch this nonsense of 2 specific twilight levels, just let me do the drat thing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing they have in common is the whole respawning enemies bit and using "souls" to level, the combat system alone is deeper than anything souls games have ever done.

Like I dunno where you're getting the derivate thing from unless I somehow missed Souls having skill trees and being mission based.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

I get what your saying and I'm not saying that everything DS does comes from completely original ideas. In fact I'd say that series' biggest strength is that it draws from a lot of good ideas and does it's own thing with it. It becomes it's own thing.

Nioh on the other hand not only rips off the basic format of DS but manages to rip off the minutia of it as well which really does nothing other than drive the point home. It really doesn't matter if it's been done before. If you are going to go that hard with emulating another game maybe try to put more of your own spin on it.

Like, I am playing this and I can usually tell whatever enemy trap is waiting before me because I've played Dark Souls. It's not a good sign of an original game.

Or maybe you've played DS so much you recognize these things because they're staple of the genre. :geno:

Feels like you didn't read a single thing posted either, who gives a poo poo.

quote:

This kind of thinking is why 90% of games are the same thing tbh.

Company makes thing.
Thing is a big hit, either revitalizes or creates a genre.
Another company comes along and improves on it.

Literally how gaming has existed since its inception.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone write off Nioh as a "Gameloft Souls clone" when Lords of the Fallen exists?

Well obviously he hasn't played that one. :newlol:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving around with dual swords and spears, this poo poo is loving amazing with the versatility and THAT GODDAMN KI DODGE HOLY poo poo, you can just be ultra aggressive.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

First european but a dutch african slave got to be the first western samurai. Sorry whitey.

Samurai just meant you have a lord you have to serve in return for some land with serfs, similar to a knight in europe. They weren't really good people or adventurers, more poo poo rear end landlords with lots of free time for poetry and politics. IRL william brought knowledge of how to build western style ships to an otherwise severely closed off japan and got rewarded for it. Dutch east india company were scummy traders who totally would cause whatever political strife they could to get what they wanted. I think William had a wife in Europe that he supported with his feif in japan. He had a japanese wife too. What a baller.

About the African born samurai, he was Nobunaga's weapon carrier IIRC, and 6'4" which would be absolutely monstrous in feudal japan. Black skin wasn't prejudiced in feudal japan, perhaps the opposite, so when Nobunaga heard of a giant christian black skinned japanese speaking foreigner he was super excited to enlist him and make him a close retainer. When Nobunaga and his successor were deposed the enemy army didn't exactly know what to do with him. Should they decapitate a non japanese? Better to give him back to the dutch. Unsurprisingly his historical record ends the moment he's returned to dutch captor hands.

See thats bullshit cause Nobunaga was revived by the demons.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

Yo does anybody know what determines if an armor set gets added to the forge list at the blacksmith? It seems 100% arbitrary.

Smithing texts, don't know what causes them to drop exactly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

It has a roundhouse, but it doesn't say anything about it doing ki damage. That's what is important to me.

All kicks do ki damage.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Axes are pretty fun, def gonna do a run with one, ki pulses are SUPER important but holy crap do they destroy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

If I start a daily twilight mission. Rest mode my ps4. Come back in 2 days. Or when the missions cycle? Will I get booted?

Nope.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

this was shared in the discord

:siren: everybody do this to beat umi bozu with no effort :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxm25XsyNc

The fire masks, that's loving brilliant.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Muneshiggy you cocksucking piece of poo poo.

I am committed to killing him without cheese but goddammit he cheats.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bussamove posted:

Embrace the rock.

Love the rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKIITdWNqI

No rocks where harmed in the making of this video.

Now to keep farming him cause I need his loving bow. :suicide:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well shiggy dropped his sword but I need the loving BOW.

If I get the bow I have all the pieces. :woop:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I sincerely hope they patch this poo poo, makes soul match kinda pointless.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died 204 times to Tachibana Muneshige

Shiggy is extremely telegraphed, the only real issue is the drat dog but if you've died that many times you should know what he's gonna hit you with, stay in low stance and only block if you have no choice, otherwise keep a set distance from him and hit him once when he attacks and back off, let him drain his ki then go for a big hit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Lifeseal Talisman was definitely the way to go with Muneshige, so thanks whoever suggested that. Not sure how you're expected to win without it.

By letting him run out of ki normally, dude uses up a ton constantly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thumbtacks posted:

for the life of me i cannot find what wall killed him, there's no magic walls around here

I found one of those in one of the sub missions for where you fight the bat chick, it was sitting near the hot spring which made no sense.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thumbtacks posted:

any idea what katana has this sheath? it's incredible, I must have it.

That's a dual sword.

As for bats, just block dude.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

What part of him is giving you trouble exactly?

When he's chained he tends to smack you with the balls and spin around if you get behind him, he's quite slow when he's doing this and dodging is not really that hard, the tell is huge from when he swings to when it actually connects and his spin is so slow that even if he guard breaks you he can't follow up.

When he breaks free of the chains then he starts hunting you down a bit more, this is the point you wanna get a hit or two in and back off, especially if gets behind you cause his counter attack for people behind him is really fast, his dangerous move is when he sorta flails left and right then does a spin and lands on the ground, the body splash can one shot, but the tell for the attack is pretty obvious and it doesn't track either so just keep an eye on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42w9_0_v0_g

This is from the beta and how I managed to take him down after tons of tries like the description says, its about as safe as you can get, give it a try.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bugblatter posted:

Oh wow, he has a different throwing animation and the balls move way slower in that vid, was that how NG was too? When I fought him in NG+ he threw underhand and loving fast with almost no startup animation. When people were saying "just dodge late" I was like "there is no late... it's instant?" But seeing this the recommendation makes more sense.

Na that was during the beta, I'm doing 2 side by side playthrough so its gonna be awhile before I hit new game+

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Bloodbourne too. They just feel sluggish, slow, like you're driving a tank when you need a motorcycle.

Now there's a pair of sentences I never though I'd see

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well dont loving quote it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got thrown into a coop session with someone that stood as far away as he could from the Nue, I had to solo it. :newlol:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got summoned, we're at the bat boss already except he's standing in a corner praying and other than the dash Hino Emma does when she spawns she did nothing the entire fight. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Iz9WgffG0

How does the parry work exactly?

I always thought I had to parry before it landed but this guy is throwing shiggy to the floor after the blow has connected