Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
NIOH

Dark Souls made by Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden fame. PS4 Only. (PS4Pro Support confirmed! 4Kp30 or 1080p60)

Out now!

The main character is Geralt from The Witcher.
(Actually its loosely based historical William Adams; an English Sailor who landed in Japan)

Basically: A dark souls knockoff mixed with deeper combat techniques from Ninja Gaiden, set in a historical Japanese setting focusing on realistic Samurai style Katana, Spear, Axe and Ninja-magic fighting.

All the same mechanics you know and love from dark souls; same stats, hp/stamina (now called "ki"), bloodstains when people die, drop your souls on your own bloodstain and have to make it back in one life to recover your souls, summoning phantoms, etc. Fewer weapon classes but much deeper combat with lots of options.

More actual story than souls games; cutscenes with lots of dialogue and many named characters.

The game is in both Japanese and English regardless of which region you purchase. Dialogue is delivered in the language it is spoken in in-world, and you get subtitles if it doesn't match your own speaking language. Most of the game is spoken in Japanese with subtitles.

Over the course of several beta periods the game has been altered and refined and really shows a great deal of potential.

Single Player, 2 Player co-op with strangers or friends, and PvP coming after release.

Emalde posted:

https://discord.gg/25cFFs6

:siren: Everyone join and come hype out in the channel for the next 30 hours :toot: :siren:

WEAPONS:
Katanas - favor heart, lots of skills for parrying and movement and various speeds of strikes in different stances.
Dual Katanas - closest thing to having a shield in this game. Can attack very quickly with both, or can use one to parry like a shield while striking with the other.
Axes (also includes great hammers) - extremely huge slow-swinging weapons that deal crazy amounts of damage in a wide arc. Can kill enemies or players in only a couple strong hits, but uses tons of stamina with each swing and leaves the attacker open to counter-attack. Good at breaking block guards, so attacks must be dodged.
Spears - good for keeping enemies at range and making quick pokes or sweeping strikes to hit multiple foes. Can also vault into the air and strike from above.
Kusarigama - a chain and sickle, which in low stance attacks extremely fast, in medium stance attacks in wide sweeping arcs good at hitting several foes, or in high stance can be flung at range to hit enemies who cannot strike back.

Bows - fast firing ranged weapons that do moderate damage.
Muskets - slower firing ranged weapons that require time to aim, but hit much harder. Can kill humans instantly with a headshot.
Hand Cannons - slowest firing ranged weapons that require you to kneel and take position before firing, and slow to reload. Fires a shell which explodes and causes great damage.

SKILLS:
Each weapon type has its own skill tree. Leveling up the melee associated stats will grant you Samurai Skill Points which let you unlock new techniques for weapons of your choice.
Ninjitsu includes throwing shurikens, kunai, flaming shurikens, poison for your weapon, poison grenades as well as poison antidotes, caltrops, smoke bombs, and more. Poison and Paralysis.
Onmyo Magic includes boons to your attack or defense, curses on your opponents attack or life, healing for yourself or your party, or magic boosts to your weapon. Fire, Water, Earth and Lightning.

POKEMON:
You collect guardian spirits throughout the game, you can select one at a time to grant you boons. After filling up a meter of experience, you can unleash an extremely damaging weapon buff based on your guardian spirit, which gives you unlimited ki for a short time and massive damage. Guardian spirits can be summoned to assist you with attacks in battle, and if you die your guardian spirit will take the place of your death and hold your experience for you to return (like a dark souls bloodstain)

STATS:
Amrita - How much Experience you currently possess. (Souls, note that money and experience are separate in Nioh)
Gold - How much gold you currently carry. (Money but not experience)

Body - Affects Life and resistance to poison and paralysis. (HP)
Heart - Affects Ki. (Stamina from Souls)
Stamina - Affects Life and how much weight you can carry. (Endurance from souls)
Strength - Determines whether you can use heavier weapons and armor. (Strength duh)
Skill - Determines whether you can use more technical weapons and armor. (Like Dex in Souls)
Dexterity - Determines the effect and capacity of your Ninjutsu. (Kinda like Dex, but its own thing, and also used for Ninjitsu)
Magic - Determines the effect and capacity of Onmyo Magic. (Intelligence)
Spirit - Affects the power of your Guardian Spirit. (Kinda like Faith but more passive)

Life - Your life remaining. When it reaches 0, you die.
Ki - Your energy remaining. Attacks and evasions consume Ki, but it regenerates over time.
Equipment Weight - Total weight of your equipment.

Weapons have scaling in multiple stats, at least 3 but some have bonus attributes.

For example, Katanas have B+ scaling with Heart. To do the most damage with Katanas, you want lots of Heart. However, they also have C+ scaling with skill. Raising skill won't help as much, but will still make your katana attacks do more damage, and Skill will also improve your kusari damage. Similarly other weapons and skills will have overlapping bonuses you can take advantage of to syngergize, or you can focus on specializing on a single thing.

RPG STAT FIDDLING:
Toooons of randomly generated loot with various rarities and random bonus attributes, ala Diablo or Borderlands.
Gear can be forged, and has a chance to craft higher rarity gear. Crafting materials themselves come in rarities, and using rare crafting materials increases the odds of crafting a rare weapon or piece of armor.
You can re-roll the stats on a piece of gear for a fee.
You can fuse one piece of gear into another, such that the first gains the power level of the second while keeping its own abilities.
You can also alter the appearance of equipment to look like other equipment while maintaining their stats. Samurai armor can be changed to look like Ninja armor, or vise versa. No restrictions. Only costs a small amount of gold. Get your fashion on!

MULTIPLAYER:
Two entirely different ways to play multiplayer!

Note that you cannot be summoned for a level until you've already beaten it, so it is not currently possible to play the whole game co-op with a friend non-stop. One of you will need to progress in order to co-op with the other. But you can get a friend to assist if you're stuck on a boss.

Dark Souls Style co-op - Summon allies into your world just like dark souls. Do this at any bonfire/shrine, no soapstone signs involved. Can use a password to search for friends or summon random players. Summoned players appear as phantoms and if they die, the host stays and goes on alone, or can summon more help. If the host dies, all phantoms are instantly sent home. Only the host gets the credit for completion, although phantoms earn experience and get their own loot too.

Ninja Gaiden Style co-op - Play through an entire level as a single mission, in a co-op party. Can choose to summon friends, or use a password, or summon random players. You have a new meter which represents the party's overall health. If a player dies, the party meter drains slowly. Any player can instantly resurrect a dead teammate by visiting his bloodstain / guardian spirit. If the meter is fully drained, or all players die, then you fail the mission. Failing the mission means you only get 25% of the experience earned. You can freely try again over and over, and no items are required. All players participating receive full rewards for success of the mission. Visiting bonfires/shrines while in this mode does not allow you to stop or level up, and do not respawn enemies or refill your health. However, they do fill up the party meter some, and also give you a random bonus. You have to complete the entire mission in one go, unlike playing Dark Souls style where you can move from bonfire to bonfire one at a time. But the entire party stays together and can resurrect each other, so you don't have to abandon your dead friends. (Still requires one player to have completed the level first)

PvP - Not in the game at release, however the devs are working on it currently and have promised to release a full pvp mode in a patch post-release.

Revenants - Where players die they drop a bloodstain like dark souls. You will see other players bloodstains around the world if you are online, both in single player and co-op. If you wish, you can challenge any of these players bloodstains to a duel, and it will spawn an AI enemy that fights using that player's equipment at the time of their death. If you manage to defeat the revenant of the player you will earn some of that player's equipment!

Tips:
Unlike dark souls, you only save when you reach a shrine. You can log out anytime but progress since last shrine is lost.

If you die on the way to your bloodstain, you do not drop a new bloodstain. The amarita (xp) gained on the way is just lost. Then you retrieve your guardian spirit and can drop your amerita next time you die.

Go into game settings on the main menu (can't do it if you already loaded a save, have to go back) and switch to "action mode" for better framerate instead of "movie mode" (worse framerate, consistent resolution).

You have 3 stances, overhead, middle, and lower stance. Use R1+ Square/Triangle/X in order to change. R1 + Circle sheathes or unsheathes your blade.
Overhead is usually slower and harder hitting, and lower is usually faster and lighter hitting. But there are other differences. Some angles of attack are better in narrow passages, or on inclines. Some attacks are better at a single opponent while others have more reach for keeping multiple foes at bay.

Attacking uses stamina. Dodging uses stamina. Blocking uses stamina. Running out leaves you very vulnerable.
If you run out of stamina completely, you will become exhausted and unable to move at all for a few seconds, like monster hunter. Always try to avoid this.

You can see the stamina bar of your opponents, unlike dark souls. Trying to break their guard, and managing your own stamina versus theirs is key. Attacking constantly doesn't mean you'll run out of stamina if you time your 'stance reset' right, as your opponent may be losing as much stamina as you are when he gets hit or blocks. Sometimes going all-out is the best strategy. Other times dodging away to recover stamina is smarter.

Weapons don't have weight so don't hesitate to put a big rear end axe or whatever in your second slot.

If your opponent gets knocked on the ground, doing a basic heavy attack (triangle) will cause you to stab him on the ground for tons of damage real easy. If your opponent is completely without stamina and winded, doing a basic heavy attack will cause you to stab him through the stomach like a bloodborne visceral attack, for tons of damage.

Pressing R1 to "reset stance" at the end of a combo string will return an amount of stamina based on how long the combo string was and when you timed the R1 press. As you're doing attacks in a combo, you'll see your stamina drain, and part of the bar will that drained will remain as a different color. At the end of the string, the bar will start to refill that different-color part. If you time it right and press R1, you will quickly reset to your default "stance" which readies you for another attack, and you will receive the amount of stamina that had filled back up in the different-colored bar when you pressed it. If you time it wrong or if you don't press it, you simply regain control after the bar fills back up, but you get no bonus stamina back. This works kinda like the reload mechanic in Gears of War, its a timing trick which allows you to fight continuously if you use disciplined attacks instead of button spamming.

Stance reset also allows you to clear the black Yokai demon pools, which otherwise drain you and are nasty.

Early wiki link: http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Nioh+Wiki

Health, stamina, lock on, big bosses; look familiar?

All kinds of Onimusha demons up in here

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXIlzYBbJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXJRkjn-b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mooyx7TS2gI

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I miss a character creator and don't like everybody being Geralt at all. Like you said, Lords of the fallen made the same mistake.

Especially if they're going to copy souls and let us summon phantoms. I haven't had any success with that in the demo, but I haven't tried much. Not sure if we're even really able to. But if we all look the same, summoning phantoms is gonna be weird and dumb. I guess they could give you a random generic face if you're a phantom? But that feels dumb too.

Ultimately it'll be like souls where we're all doing ~fashion souls~ with our armor so not a huge deal, but still, its dumb.

I agree the graphics are unpolished as hell and performance sucks, but I really enjoy the way it plays overall and I think the setting is fantastic and a good change from medieval horror souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

You say the performance is bad but it easily averages twice ds3's ps4 framerate even in movie mode.

Anyway low stance is pretty dece for dealing with groups because you reload stamina when dodging so you can get in and out without worrying too much about it.

E: You can put yourself into matchmaking to be summoned after you finish the first stage

I'm playing DS4 on PC locked at 60fps, so I wouldn't know :cheeky: Some areas run better than others, but there's some areas where it definitely drops down really bad.

But even if it isn't technically impressive, I do like the look of the old-timey Japanese village and everything. Great setting.

Low stance does seem good at dealing with groups, I was noticing that. Lots of very very fast attacks and long combo strings as a result, and quick to slash and then dodge out. Still, the camera makes dealing with groups very hard. It does the same "lock on and use right stick to change targets" as souls, but it just doesn't feel quite as good for some subtle reason.

And I figured that was going to be the case. I got to the boss last night so I'll try to clear him and do some co-op tonight!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 27, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good point about weapons not having weight, I noticed that last night and forgot. Added to the OP.

There's a skill you can unlock for mid-stance katana the lets you press L1+Square to do a parry, which then puts you directly BEHIND your opponent. IT RULES. Seems like its impossible or hard to parry some heavy attacks like Axe swings, but for quick attacks its pretty easy to get off the parry and then you're set up to just murder somebody from behind.

Oh poo poo, that reminds me about being able to do Triangle attacks as finishers on the ground or on enemies that are out of stamina, for an awesome visceral attack like bloodborne. I'll add that to the OP tips as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Any suggestions on what stats to focus on?

Or what to spend samurai points on? I can't tell if me putting all of my points in high axe stance will gently caress me over but god is it fun to smash dudes with a large axe.

I put ALL my levels into Body and Heart. I think that's a solid way to go early on (and the demo is only so long anyways)

The other stats don't seem to make enough of a difference early on.

Samurai points, just pick a fighting style and stance and unlock things for it. Half of them are just passives like "do 5% more damage with mid-stance katana attacks" or whatever, so that can't hurt. Others are cool moves like the parry that puts you behind them.

Davincie posted:

look for the little green dudes and rescue them for big bonuses

Kodama! Its straight out of Princess Mononoke :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I'm looking forward to getting off work so I can continue clawing my way through stage 2. Every inch forward is a huge struggle, it's really satisfying.

Stage 2, so there's more to do after the boss? drat, pretty nice demo. Lets us do more than the Dark Souls betas did.

Or do you just mean the later docks area after the first village bit?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really wish I was playing this right now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popping dudes' heads clean off at the end of a combo never gets old. I just wanna decapitate people all day.

This is how I play Nioh:

"You fight like a demon!"

Policenaut posted:

What exactly do the Kodamas do when you rescue them? I found 6/7 when going through the fishing village and can't remember for the life of me what they did.

You can visit a shrine and get a Kodama Blessing, which is a bonus to loot drops. One is just bonus to experience I think, the others are like "favors sword drops" or "favors armor drops", they're ways to help mitigate the RNG if you're getting hosed over, which is a GREAT idea since they're doing more random diablo style loot than souls does.

The more you get, the more bonus you get. Its a reward for finding more and more of them hidden in levels, like Gold Skultulas. I love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Man these look cool but it seems easier in game just to high stance or use axe and kill enemies in 2 to 3 hits rather than go all ninja and take 20 hits to kill something.

I dunno, seems pretty balanced to me. Its not that simple really, there's special moves you can do that other fighting styles don't have. Does the axe have a parry that puts you behind the enemy? I don't think so but I didn't dig through all the samurai skill trees exhaustively.

I tried using the axe and it was so slow I ended up taking tons of damage. Katana makes way more sense, and I still kill most enemies in 3 to 4 hits instead of 2 to 3, big whoop?

If you like high stance and axe, do it, but I really don't think its by far the best way or the only way to play or anything.

Especially, this is just the first zone. These enemies are tutorial enemies, as hard as they can be. Things are only going to get nastier. Using an axe effectively could get really tricky.

But if you wanna make your character Dian Wei or Lu Bu instead of a samurai, do it!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like that this game feels more like Team Ninja saw what Souls was doing, liked it, and slapped it into their samurai game. It doesn't feel derivative, and actually feels like it's pushing the format into new directions; the combat is great and the mechanics look quite interesting, although the game is clearly still in need of a little more dev time. I played three hours last night and didn't even find a boss yet, so it's a nice big demo.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel. Lords of the Fallen felt like a pale imitation of Souls, they tried to do a few things different but it was very similar and just not quite as good.

This on the other hand almost feels like something FROM could have done themselves, maybe in collaboration with Team Ninja. It feels like a proper souls' offshoot like Bloodborne, but also changes up a ton of things so it actually feels more fresh than Dark Souls 3 does. (I still love DS3 to pieces, don't get me wrong)

There's a lot of questions still, they need to improve the performance, how long will it be, how much level variety and boss variety will there be, but there's so much potential here its crazy. Knowing Team Ninja I'm pretty drat sold on this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Myrdraayl posted:

So the parry stuff for mid stance katana is cool but trying that on the oni's and cyclops is not working at all. Anyone else have any luck with getting it to work on them?

Nah, I wasn't able to parry the Oni demons at all. Not sure if you can even parry axes even. But it kicks rear end against other katana dudes. If you can't use it against the others though may not be the best skill in the world, which considering how easy it is to destroy people may be necessary for balance.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Spent two hours last night stuck at the third bonfire. The town's pretty maze-like and I keep thinking that there should be a shortcut so I can skip the first five enemies or so, but I haven't found it. I did finally find a faster route, though, so I can skip fighting a half-dozen or so when I go back later. While I understand the principles of the Ki Pulse, I'm not pulling it off reliably because I'm blocking or evading instinctively. I've run out of inventory space twice now, and I wish I could sell stones and glue because I'm full up on them and have never used them. As soon as my armor or weapon loses its durability, I switch it out with something new.

I ran out of elixirs once, which was strange. I would span with 0, and it happened a few times, and typing it out I think it's because I didn't have a space in my inventory for an elixir to go. It's strange that the "Shortcut Items" can't be sold but take up one of your 200 inventory spaces. After selling a bunch of stuff I had 10 elixirs, but I would have done better if I had sold one item, prayed to restore my three gimme elixirs, then sold the rest so I'd have 13 going into battle. It's kind of a weird system for healing and I think there's a better way to do it, but I think it's here to stay.

Yeah, in order to do a proper ki pulse stance reset you have to NOT dodge right after a combo, which is a tough habit to break from souls.

There are situations where dodging or blocking is actually going to be the thing you have to do right away and you don't have time to stance reset, but generally getting two hits in, doing a ki pulse, and then rolling is better than just rolling right away. Just takes practice.

The first few enemies of the town you can't skip, but the Oni guys don't respawn once you kill them (which is great, they're the perfect kinda mini-boss that you can die on a few times but then kill them and make some serious progress) and there's several ladders that you can drop as shortcuts later in the level. But souls style, you've gotta replay certain sections every time.

Yeah... I think that's essentially a bug, or should be considered one. They should fix it.

If you drink all of your elixirs, it goes away from your inventory, so if you try to bind another item as a quick slot it actually removes elixirs from your hotbar. Then if you die and respawn with 3 of them, you have to manually assign it back to the quick slot. That's dumb as gently caress. So I imagine you're right, you had a full inventory so the game couldn't give you an elixir. Dumb.

Easy fix though, they just need to make elixirs a special item which doesn't go away if you have 0 of them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 28, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

For anything that I can't reliably stagger I usually don't wait to do the full pulse, I just reset right after the attack so I can get back to blocking or backdash out of there. Been a big difference for not eating attacks from yokai over and over.

That's the cool thing about the pulse it took me awhile to kinda figure out, you can pulse early as a cancel or you can pulse late in order to get more stamina.

But then if you pulse too late you don't get anything, which sucks but rewards careful timing.

Its an interesting system. At first I thought it was kinda weird but I do like how deliberate you have to be with your attacks as a result, thinking about how long you're going to combo ahead of time.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the more I play the more obnoxious it gets. It's strange for every enemy to just loving explode into two pieces of armor and a weapon and after every run my inventory is clogged with garbage.

At the very least they need to let you pick up all the items in an area or from a single "drop" with a single button press.

Finding an item, opening it only to have it spill out 3 more items, and then having to pick those up individually as well is tedious.

You can sell items by "make offering" at shrines if you need to ditch stuff, get some spare Amarita for it, but I feel you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

you run up the hill back toward the last area and jump off onto the roof and down into the small yard with one guy in it. and from there you can get up to the roof and skip all but like 4 guys in the first half of the town

Clever bastard! That's really cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo this game plays and runs so much better once you switch from Movie to Action mode. Shame about how it looks though, it gets aliased all to hell.

Consoles amirite.

Yeah, it still drops pretty drat low even on action mode in certain scenes, hopefully they'll do an optimization pass over the game.

But I added that to the OP in case other people don't realize that's an option. (As almost ZERO console games even let you pick such things, I like that they do)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

I started blocking... Realized it's not like Dark Souls where some of the damage goes thru - you completely block the attack.

There's no shields, so they just made sword blocking as good as using a proper shield, which is nice.

Parrying windows are HUGE compared to dark souls also, and very easy to do, although it seems some attacks are un-parryable.

Snak posted:

If you ever go back to dark souls, you should note that whether any damage goes through is determined by the shield's defense attributes. There are plenty of shields that block 100% of physical damage in dark souls.

Blocking is really important in Nioh, but I've noticed something that is going to take me quite awhile to get the hang of: Once you have parry skills, you can't let off of block and then immediatly strike with a fast attack, you end up doing a parry unless you sword has moved back into the correct position. This is a big reason to reaction block and parry, rather than holding it. I'm sure that Stance/Ki Pulse probably interacts with this in some way.

I think he's talking about blocking with your weapon which, there's no weapons in dark souls that have anywhere near decent defense attributes. You have to go shield to get anywhere near a decent defense, and this game has no shields. That was his point.

Maybe you forgot that blocking with weapons in DS is a thing you can even do, because nobody ever does it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I kinda hope there's more than just three different weapon types in the final version, that might get kinda old.

And I wonder how the Ninja Gaiden games hold up now, especially in light of the Souls series being so popular. I never beat any of them but I remember 1 being great and 2 having some series issues and after that it was pure trash. Shame I don't have any way to play them now.

Its three fighting styles (with three stances apiece) plus two schools of magic, and you can already see that things like hammers use the 'axe' style, which is kinda silly but works well enough. So there will be other 'types' of weapons, but they'll use the same styles. (I guess the alpha might not include a style or two from the full game though!)

That said, its pretty unlikely we'll get twinblades or anything like that. They're focusing very hard on realistic feudal Japanese fighting, and I think that's a good thing.

LawfulWaffle posted:

When you talk about parrying, are you referring to one of the three moves specifically? Like, Guard right before hit, or the Square while Guarding move that puts you behind the enemy. I'm trash at parrying, but maybe the three different skills work better against different weapons.

I've played with both a little, but the one I use the most is the parry with square to get behind because that rules. I wasn't able to do it against axe guy but I may have just timed it wrong the couple times I tried. And it didn't work against the Oni for sure.

Snak posted:

No, I just assumed that since this game has no shields he was comparing blocking (with your weapon) in this game, and blocking (with a shield) in dark souls. Because as you said, no one blocks with their weapon in DS.

Honestly the combat of this game isn't very similar to Dark Souls. It's really, really cool to see the Soulslike level design with the action-gameplay of something more like Ninja Gaiden or Way of the Samurai.

Yeah that's what I'm loving about this. It nails the souls overall structure and main elements, but the combat mechanics are very different, almost completely different. It feels like Way of the Samurai or Bushido Blade and that's amazing because those games are rare to begin with, mixing that with dark souls = very happy Zaphod.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Haha uhhhh

Well, it is still a videogame :v: Its not a simulation, of course.

Bushido Blade was previously praised as being one of the more realistic swordfighting games and its not exactly perfect either.

Or are you pointing out the oni-demon spirits and stuff that's just straight magical?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Those zombie fuckers are awful. They seem pretty weak but that just lures you into a sense of security, then they grab you and barf poison all over you and fuuuuck.

Remind me of re-deads in zelda in a big way. Not too hard to kill, but don't let those fuckers grab you.

Snak posted:

Yeah, the game has a really silly developement history. Originally is was based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script, that was being finished by his son, Hisao Kurasawa, for a movie to be released in parallel with the game. This was pre 2006, when the game and movie were both still called Oni. Then the game never came out in 2006. Then in 2009 they confirmed that the game was still in development. I assume the movie never happened. During this time (I want to say in 2008) Koei was bought by Techmo, becoming Koei Techmo. In 2010, it was announced that it was now being developed by Team Ninja. Now it's scheduled for release sometime this year. But no actual date.

That is a troubled history, but being involved with Koei explains the slight Dynasty Warriors feel of the combos, and being based on an Akira Kurosawa script is so loving perfect, even if the movie didn't fully pan out or they had to change some things.

And weird as it is, ending up with Team Ninja is probably the best thing that could have happened, short of being picked up by FROM themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

You can be grabbed while in midair doing jumping/spinning heavy attacks. It's kinda complete bullshit.

Yeah, for a giant boss or something that'd make sense, but for those little zombie dudes its bullshit. They need to get toned down a little. Definitely feels like their grab attack is magnetic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The one thing about this game that really is truly harder and meaner than dark souls is, if you die you drop your souls Amarita on your little cute spirit animal, and like dark souls you have to get it back without dying. BUT, unlike dark souls, if you die on the way to your spirit, not only are those souls gone forever, but you don't drop a subsequent bloodstain. Any souls you picked up on the way to trying to retrieve your souls are ALSO gone.

That seems needlessly punitive! Comeon Team Ninja cut a guy some slack.

As a result, you can call your spirit animal to return from your bloodstain at a shrine, but doing so means all the souls (and apparently some items drop on death?) are gone, but you get the spirit animal back so if you die you'll create another one.

The chaotic and extremely lethal nature of the combat also means I find myself dying, dropping lots of souls, and then getting owned by somebody I've killed many times because I'm rushing a little too much to get back to my souls.

In DS3 usually once you get to a certain point, you can get back to that point relatively safely. If you really get careless and rush sometimes you die on the way to a bloodstain, but not nearly as often as I'm finding in Nioh. One little slipup is all it takes for you to get straight up murdered. That in itself is fine by me though.

I just wish you'd always drop a bloodstain no matter what, like dark souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really want to like this demo more but they need to really fix fighting multiple enemies at once and enemy health

I do not mind your character being a glass cannon if the enemies are too. It feels weird that every enemy is objectively stronger than you are.

No they don't. Its a complicated game but its really not so bad, keep trying new things.

Enemies are glass cannons too; the only ones who aren't extremely weak are the Oni and the bosses, and they should be strong. But hey guess what; the Oni don't respawn! They're minibosses :v: Kill them one time using all your potions, then run back and level up, and then return and they're gone forever, so now all you have to do is kill glass cannon enemies. Its not that bad dude.

The camera I feel could handle multiple enemies a little better but otherwise its not bad at all. You're probably trying to force a square peg into a round hole somehow, based on what works in Dark Souls.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If even one survives your stamina is now hosed and its an instant kill

Plus, only having one form of one weapon being effective for crowds is an issue in itself.

This is also wrong, there's multiple ways to deal with crowds. Pulling them with arrows or rocks, using katana low stance, using axe high stance, etc. Stop acting like there's only one way to do things because you haven't spent enough time trying other things yet. That's kinda silly.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But it's not reasonable to try and drain the ki of multiple opponents because the system doesn't work like that.

The one on one combat is excellent, objectively excellent. But groups need a fix.

If you're fighting an Oni and a normal enemy at the same time, you're going to get hosed. You shouldn't be doing that. Again, :siren: Oni are minibosses that don't respawn :siren: . That's kinda a big deal? Its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. You can also tell where an Oni is going to spawn ahead of time if you're not completely carelesss, there's a huge black field on the ground.

If you see a black oni field, you should go "oh poo poo, its an Oni, I should clear this zone of normal enemies and then kill this guy" :v: Its not rocket science.

Typical Souls, you have to be observant. If you just run forward you're going to run into traps and die.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Obligating you pull enemies is not good game design. If they wanted to make groups entirely voluntary, sure. But there are several places where you are obligated to fight groups or pull them errors and rocks.

Please stop whining. Fighting two archers at the same time isn't bad at all, and killing one of them with an arrow feels great because archery is way better than in souls or dynasty warriors or ninja gaiden.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I agree with what other people were saying before that the second level feels like a huge jump in difficulty that just requires you to grind, maybe they intentionally gave us an early level and then skipped a level to give us a harder one just to be like "look how hard this can be!" or maybe they just need to re-tune it. Its not the end of the world, but it was a good thing that souls was so skill based and you could beat things at SL1, level definitely makes a bigger difference here, especially with the tooooons of loot that you get, you really have to manage your inventory and pick the best gear and sell the rest, which can be a pain. Its kinda fun in that RPG diablo way too, but I dunno if that's something I really wanted in a souls game or not.

Super excited for the full release though. And cool they gave us a little downloadable reward thingy for playing the demo, I wonder what we'll get for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like you wrote this huge thing about how I am not fighting Oni correctly and I never said a word about fighting Oni. Fighting Oni makes sense and I agree. I am talking about mobs of low level melee guys, not archers.

Then they're all glass cannons :shrug: The guys in the second area have a bit of health at first, but the second area drops weapons with like double the attack of the first area, as soon as you grab one of those (or duel somebody to get one) they die really really fast too.

I just fought 3 spear guys and 2 ninjas together no problem.

Nobody in the first area is anything but a glass cannon, other than the Oni. That's why I figured you were talking about them.

Hakkesshu posted:

I see you didn't beat the second level :unsmigghh:

Yeah there's the wandering guys in the second level, just got to them. But its not too hard to fight that guy solo, and by that point the Oni aren't nearly as tough to you as they are in the first level.

Tactic that seems to work really well is opening a combo with mid or low stance, then doing a stance reset to regain your stamina while switching to high stance, and then comboing in high stance for tons of damage. They're still reeling from the mid-stance combo but if you do the stance reset you get back your stamina.

Practicing the timing on stance reset was the first thing that helped, but getting comfortable with actually changing stances while resetting and comboing through them feels so good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

The problem I have is that the optimal solution for fighting multiple enemies is: "Don't; just pull them one at a time", and that is a poo poo mechanic which relies on the fact that the enemies don't actively work together in any meaningful way and will happily stand around like lemons while their friends are hit in the face with shuriken and murdered one by one. I mean, I'm not asking for them to be loving genius tacticians, but it's such a flagrant display of carefully handcrafted imbecility that it does actually spoil my immersion.

The same is often the case in Dark Souls too though. Its just that most people don't bother. Dark Souls is almost always made easier by shooting people with bows or magic from afar to pull them one by one, but unless you're up against a group of like 5 dudes and you're scared, most people don't bother. Some people do play through dark souls by shooting everybody with arrows though, its do-able and trivializes the game.

I'm fine with using arrows to kill a few guys being a smart strategy, that's part of planning ahead. And you can't carry many arrows in Nioh overall, so you can't do that always. Gotta use it when it matters.

The_White_Crane posted:

I know, I know, talking about immersion in a game about fantasy magic samurai and demons...

Nah, that's fine. Somebody always argues "lol but its magic" when you talk about that kinda immersion or consistency, but the thing is fantasy is allowed a suspension of disbelief, but contradicting yourself breaks that suspension of disbelief. Its a totally legit complaint.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, people do not seem to get that you can understand the mechanics of a game perfectly and still feel they need to be improved.

I get how the system works and how it's meant to be used, I just think it needs some tweaks and some de-emphasis on drawing out people in crowds to fight 1 on 1

Its not so much I'm assuming you don't know how the system works as you're assuming the system is broken and needs to change. The more time I spend with it the more time I get used to its particular qualities and how to deal with them.

We've all been playing souls for years and years and have had time to adapt. Many of us ended up putting down DeS or DS1 after putting several hours in it, only to return weeks or months later to complete the entire game. You opinion is valid, but some of what I saw you saying, like enemies being way tougher than you are, just doesn't seem to be accurate to what I'm experiencing, at least once you get used to it and get a proper weapon equipped for the area you're in, etc.

Also fire talismans and fire tokens or whatever let you beat up on Oni real bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i ran out of ochoko right at nue on my current run and none of the revs are dropping them, i killed so many. can i get them as offering gifts?

I haven't tried being a phantom much since I wasn't getting summoned earlier, but it sounds like if you help somebody as a phantom you'll get one. Which was how souls worked too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Cant mid level though. You join from the level select.

Agh that seriously sucks, that's an awkward consequence of how they rigged that up. They need to change that.

Harrow posted:

Do you get more ki back for switching stances during a ki pulse, or am I just imagining things from when I was playing around with it? Maybe changing stances just forced me to time my ki pulse better and it seemed like I got more back for switching when it was actually just better timing.

I feel like I remember reading some kind of bonus on stance switching, not sure if it was a samurai skill or spirit or what, or maybe I'm crazy...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah as soon as I realized onmyo magic let me cast fire on my sword, I started playing around with it more, and I like that its not just pew pew lasers. The elemental effects don't last too long but they're pretty powerful, so it rewards you putting more points in for extra casts (and there's no attunement bs) although I do kinda miss the mana system from DS3/ DeS. I always liked that better than spell-charges.

Spirit chicken is my bro.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.

Since weapons have no weight, there's not really any reason not to equip a katana and a spear, or a katana and an axe, yeah.

And since you can swap stances mid-pulse, there's not much reason not to put samurai skill points in all styles and practice moving between them.

Opening with katana mid or low stance and then pulse-transitioning into high stance, and then swapping to axe or spear based on your next enemy, is the way to go for sure :thumbsup:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relin posted:

shark spirit sure clowns nue. is it just me or does he call down lightning on both players but only the host sees the graphic? or maybe it's on the host only? either way an odd implementation

they really need to redo the summoning system. in souls it's great because you put your sign down and your intent is pretty clear when the sign is in front of the boss. in this i got tired of people, who are somehow worse at games than me, summoning in areas that aren't the boss

Bloodborne made the same mistake with the bells; being able to summon people from wherever seems convenient but really its not because like you said, throwing down signs lets you actually kinda show your intent and lets people preview who they're about to summon. You can look at a dude's gear and be like "hm, this guy seems cool"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arthil posted:

On top of that, you can only initiate matchmaking via the level select screen. Once you're actually in a level, y'know and playing the game, you can't co-op anymore save for being the one summoning someone in.

Yeah we mentioned this a few pages back and its really really dumb. I don't completely hate the whole "missions" structure itself (different than souls but not the end of the world, and honestly pretty much how DeS worked) but segregating co-op based on which mission you're currently in and locking you out of being a phantom until you finish is straight stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relin posted:

I think it's lame they removed degradation entirely. Interesting that Asia and Japan dislike the difficulty, while Americans are UP TO THE CHALLENGE :smug:

Yeah its an interesting result. So long as they don't go and water down the difficulty because of the Japanese response :colbert: It was good as-is.

Hakkesshu posted:

Degradation sucks and I am glad it's gone.

Agreed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The only thing about degradation is if they get rid of it, its going to make the whole Diablo style loot system feel kinda funny.

I mean I guess not, Diablo weapons don't really break (other than a small repair tax) in the same way, so I guess it'll work out.

The upside is if there's no degradation I can feel way better about just throwing away anything that's not my best armor or weapon, rather than in the demo where I was trucking around two dozen of each item type just in case I needed it as a fallback. I'm a bit of a packrat like that in RPGs.

"Hmm, this katana is just like my main katana but does 20 less damage... but what if I want it later?!?"

If my current best katana can be used indefinitely its a lot easier to just say 'ain't gonna use it, toss it'.

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems weird devs actually taking player feedback into account before they even release the full game.

If you think that's weird, For Honor is sending me feedback surveys for a game that I haven't even played or seen played yet :v:

That's some weird poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

New E3 trailer, another demo coming in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSzvrwp4fk

This looks pretty sweet.

"Life and Death form a circle"

They definitely understand the souls philosophy and aren't afraid to advertise it.

lets hang out posted:

I really want this game to come out

Same. The alpha was so much fun and I miss it. At least let me play that some more! But I guess we'd burn out on it and get bored pretty fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wish this was sooner. I had a blast with the last demo.

So we're going to be teaming up with Hattori Hanzo? Wish it was the Kill Bill version, that dude was funny :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Meanwhile, in Souls-ish news, Lords of the Fallen studio is trying again with The Surge and it looks, not terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr6Ah1pHM_8

I'm still wary about some of the stuff in that video and Nioh will probably come out better but I won't begrudge people trying to get in on that action, since the mechanics are what really draw me to Souls. Nioh has pretty much already sold me, I just need to see some more of it.

Hmmm, so many people were asking for sci-fi souls, so that's interesting.

It looks like Edge of Tomorrow Souls.

Sakurazuka posted:

I want Surge to be good but Lords of the Fallen was so loving bad. Also it appears to be more standard robots and stuff rather than the biomechanical monstrosities I'd expect from, uh, FROM doing a sci-fi thing.
Watching the video again it still has my main complaint from LotF, in that everything seems so slow and it looks way harder than it should be to avoid attacks, like it was designed by people who though sword+board heavy armour was the best way to play Souls. Which I guess people do.

Yeah, and Lords had great graphics and at least got the basic idea of souls right, but still fell apart really fast once you got a few bosses in. So we won't really be able to judge this from just trailers, we're gonna need to play it or see an in-depth review before I can get too excited about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Lords had garbage gameplay. None of the other poo poo matters if the gameplay itself is poo poo. And yes, boss design was mostly terrible and tedious.

Fortunately, Nioh is gonna own, so...

I know, my point is that everything appeared to be okay until we got to play it ourselves, so even if the sci-fi souls looks good the key thing is the gameplay being not garbage and we won't know that until we play it ourselves. That's what I was saying :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I guess I'm just saying that that "the basic idea" of souls is good gameplay.

Yes and I agree completely from the get-go, that's the whole point dude

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Even with the fastest weapons, you couldn't evade an attack and hit back against an enemy with a shield because of how fast they turned around.

Pretty hyped about the Nioh Demo tomorrow. Hopefully I'll make a few videos covering it, at least showcasing the changes from the last demo.

Yeah, people hate on some enemies in dark souls being able to constantly turn to follow you, but that's nothing compared to lords of the fallen.

The game looked pretty good and tried some new things, to give them credit, but it really didn't come together. They tried to make weighty clunky fighting like dark souls, but they went way too far so it was just slow and cumbersome. And like Ocarina of Time, in several situations there's just not really anything the player can do except wait; you have no options. Just waiting until you finally get an opening to exploit isn't fun, its tedious. The solution is to use magic abilities and the like to just cheese your way past, but that's not really satisfying either.

Nioh however is like the opposite; where Lords gave you very little player agency, Nioh gives you a toooooon of options. Enemy not giving you an opening? Switch styles to low stance! Hit them fast and break their guard! Use a polearm and out-range them! Choices.

I'm excited to get to play some more :dance:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I dunno guys I think its way more souls-like than just about every other game ever made. Its different, sure, its a different group of people, but they're unmistakably in the same genre and the only other games in that genre are like Lords of the Fallen and then maybe stuff like Zelda or Castlevania if you really wanna stretch it, maybe King's Field but not really.

There's a couple different sides to Dark Souls, the layout of the levels and how you progress, and then the visceral stamina-based combat. Nioh does both of those very similar to Souls.

You've got health and stamina, you have deliberate actions that can't be cancelled on the fly, you have death that pushes you back and respawns enemies, and you have levels that spiral around while opening up shortcuts and leading to bosses. Its a Souls-like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I see it on the US PSN store but its not downloadable. Guess it needs a bit of time still? Its on the other regional stores though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Downloading, 4.358 GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

How does the ki pulse thing work again?

you see part of your stamina bar turn red as you're doing a combo, and it gets longer and longer as you combo. As you finish, the bar will start filling backwards. Pressing R1 will return to you the stamina that has back-filled at the time you press it. So if you wait longer you get more stamina back, but you have to time it right because if you wait too long you get nothing. You can also swap stances while doing it by pressing R1 + face button, and some skills will return bonus stamina if you do so.