Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TG-Chrono posted:

On the downside, which is minor, the graphics need to be turned up as it looks almost pixelly in places.

Its not as simple as just 'tighten up the graphics on level 3', but they do give you the option of focusing on frame-rate or resolution which is nice and rare for console games.

Its not the most impressive engine ever but it seems to do fine and looks good enough to me.

Monolith. posted:

One of my favorite things is that they finally smoothed out the action frame rate. Game feels great.

Yeah with it set to 'action mode' or whatever it feels really smooth now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah if you take a lot of hits you're going to get hosed up, staggered and take a ton of damage, so you generally want to avoid that even happening.

Blocking and dodging depending upon the situation. Or even just kinda, out-ranging them? You can kinda bait attacks by walking forward and backwards, and then you can stunlock them yourself after they swing. Harder with multiple opponents for sure.

It defnitely takes awhile to get a feel for the combat and what the right response is, the timing and stuff. Its not too bad though really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CapitanGarlic posted:

Holy goddamn this game is fun, even if I'm terrible at it. Dark Souls et. al. were great at "learn your enemy", but to me at least they were missing the element of "learn your mechanics" to the degree that Nioh has, I love it. I feel so much more involved in the combat at any given moment and so far every time I've died I felt as though I had something to learn from it. Perfect Ki Pulsing into Iai slash feels really gosh dang good I mean shucks

Folks have been asking about how shrines restore more base elixirs - that's dependent on the number of Kodama you've guided back, per a menu-only tutorial tip. So, find more green dudes, get more base elixir.

What I love about this is not only do you get the 'if you died, it was your fault, learn from it' that dark souls has, but even more than dark souls like, with dark souls sometimes you die and the lesson is just "hey, don't do that" or "there's a trap there, dont' go there" which feels a little cheap but hey whatever. But Nioh I feel like all my deaths aren't even like that, its not that I died and learn something from my death, its even more that I already knew what to do but I just kinda paniced and failed to execute it.

You've got tons of options in the fighting styles and the way you can combo, but the combat is so fast paced and dangerously lethal that one or two wrong moves because you were surprised is enough to kill you. Then I'll be sitting there looking at my body like "aah, why didn't I just X? I froze up!" but that's great. There's a real tension in the fighting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I never get tired of wiping the blood off the sword.

Yeah being able to manually put your sword back in its sheath and take it out whenever you want just feels good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's really good.

This game is really good.

:yeah:

Snak posted:

Like pre-order good.

Not from amazon though. Maybe gamestop.

:psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Amazon gives you like 20% off though.

Gamestop won't give you anything off and its loving gamestop. If you're going to buy it from gamestop don't pre-order at all, just walk in on release day and buy it retail like normal.

I'm hooked on buying things digitally because having to swap discs sucks and getting things at midnight is great if you're impatient. But if I'd get physical I'd go Amazon absolutely.

Belzac posted:

Amazon has quickly become absolute garbage at shipping things before, on, or even near release date. Best to just digital download things at this point.

All you gotta do is call customer support and they'll send you free poo poo. I've gotten 2 copies of several games because they messed up poo poo like that, gave away or sold a copy to a friend.

Hell I got them to give me $100 because I bought a PS4 and two days later they posted a bundle with a bunch of free games. Their customer support will pretty much do whatever you want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

I'd rather have the game I'm excited for on release day (not 7pm) than 100 dollars worth of future late games arriving late.

So buy digital :)

And the 100 bucks was back on my credit card, not like amazon credit. Their customer support seriously rules. I can understand not wanting to wait for shipping though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'd definitely replace your PS4 HDD if you haven't yet. Having mine always full and having to reinstall games was a serious pain. Upgraded and now I just have everything installed at once and its nowhere close to full.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

It sounds hard and scary.

It is the exact opposite. The PS4's case design is loving genius. It may be my favorite console form factor ever made.

You literally slide off the left half of the case, unscrew the HDD, slide it out, slide in the new one and screw it in, and then slide the case back on.

Sony did a great job. If you've ever changed out an HDD on a desktop computer, the PS4 is the same but easier. Seriously.

See how the left half of the top panel just slides off?

And then the HDD is just sitting there smiling at you, ready to be pulled out. There's one screw to hold it in place and that's ALL.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Awesome. I guess I got it confused with swapping 360 hds.

Yeah pretty much all other consoles are a big pain to swap out. The PS4 though, man, I love it.

I think the PS4 is also like the only console that lets you swap out the HDD without voiding the warranty? Great stuff. Sony nailed it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

looool before I started playing I saw a tip in the OP of this thread to keep an eye out for durability, and it's been driving me nuts that none of my weapons have been breaking and I couldn't find their durability rating. If that was for the alpha demo that makes a lot more sense. What's this whetstone I found good for, then?

Sorry about that, I haven't had time to update the OP tips since the alpha to the changes made to the beta.

I'll go ahead and edit out the stuff that no longer applies and then try to re-write the thing when I get some more free time.

Snak posted:

Yes, but like they said, you can quit Dark Souls anywhere and it saves.

Its true, but for whatever psychological reason I always exit Dark Souls at bonfires anyways :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Interesting bit of history:

In 1600, there actually was a William in Japan. William Adams was an Englishman working with the Dutch East India Trading Company, who came in on the only boat from the five-ship expedition to make it. They landed in Usuki, got called pirates by a Jesuit priest and got tossed in Osaka Castle. He was questioned by Tokugawa, and ended up getting on his good side to stop the execution. After that he stayed in Japan while the other survivors left to open up trade, becoming Ieyasu's trade advisor and a full fledged Samurai under the name Miura Anjin. Also, he ended up getting the Jesuits kicked out of Japan in 1614, inadvertently creating the Christian suppression movement.

So, hey, good threads there, Team Ninja.

When did the Jesuits first show up at Japan, and how?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

Strategy for all Nioh bosses:

Dodge or block their attack.

Hit them between their attacks.

One simple trick to defeat all dark souls bosses!

Demons hate him!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Nioh will have PS4 Pro support and will be published by Sony in North America and Europe so I'm fairly positive that rules out a PC port.

Pro support is super cool, and I'm real glad Nioh has actual graphics options in a console game :aaa:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

That clause has always been bullshit because there's games dating back as far as the PS2 era that came out on physical with only Japanese voice tracks.

Yeah but PS2 era didn't really have digital releases so that wasn't even an option

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

The rewards for clearing the alpha and the beta have been revealed. Another neat feature is that the game has a vanity system for its gear, so you can change your good stat gear to look like any other gear you want while keeping the stats intact!

You can watch the recorded stream here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD29IDN-m1I

The most important part of this news is that Nioh will have a ~TRANSMOG SYSTEM~

Ultimate Fashion Souls

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I've bought the loving thing now, whatever. Timed Demos outside of Network Stress Test Purposes are still stupid.

Its not a loving demo, its a beta. When the game is finally released they very well may put out a demo that has no time limit, and until that time stop bitching.

Harrow posted:

The demos are timed because they also have network features

Exactly, its primary purpose is not a demo. Its a beta to test the game, test the network, and get feedback. It doubles as a demo but its plain ridiculous to throw a hissyfit because the game that isn't out yet doesn't let you play indefinitely for free.

Games good, just hold your horses and wait for release if you can't get in the beta during the window.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Anybody who is annoyed at how limited the beta tests were must have never attempted to participate in any of fromsoft's network tests

Haha I was in Japan during the one week of the Dark Souls 3 stress test. I was bummed. I don't travel super often or anything! But no biggie, not something to get mad at fromsoft about really, its a stress test.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Is there any indication yet of how many stats one can reasonably expect to be able to level up? Like if I wanted to be good at spears, guns, and guardian spirit stuff, am I going to be spreading myself too thin, or is there just no real way to know yet?

I'd expect it to be like souls; in that going all-in on one stat will make you have a clear edge, but being a hybrid doesn't make you so much worse that you're worthless or anything.

But we won't really know until we're towards the end of the game, even when we have it to start with we won't be sure of meta balance stuff like that.

Thing is; there's no pvp at launch. So... don't worry about it? It'll be like souls. If you spread your points "too thin" you can just get more levels. I guess maybe you're asking if there's a level cap? I mean, lets say you split your points and you're having a hard time... just kill more dudes and level up more. Then when you're kicking rear end you push forward in the game, and then when it gets hard again you slow down and die and have to spend some time leveling up. That's how souls always worked; you can beat them at SL1 or you can take your time to level up to SL150 or you can finish it anywhere in between depending upon your experience. The better you are at the game the farther you can get with lower stats, so spreading stats is just kinda the same thing.

The only reason levels really matter in souls is pvp matchmaking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I feel like I'm gonna play this game a billion times just like Souls.

same :dance:

The Kusarigama are interesting. Fun and very different, although it seems like you fight more with the weighted end than with the actual sickle. Huh.

The musket does insane damage but is really slow, as appropriate. Fun stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 21, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oriental Hugs posted:

Did there use to be durability? Also stat points that increase your ki regenration speed? I remember maxing the stamina stat during the first demo to attack more offen.

Yes there used to be durability, we were just making a big deal about how they removed it based on player feedback. Durability is a largely vestigial stat in Souls and I'm glad they've done away with it. It adds virtually nothing.

Constellation I posted:

I'm going to give it more time but... I'm not really digging the default control scheme. The Souls-like control scheme (Type B, I think?) is pretty awkward also. I'll keep playing throughout the weekend though.

I feel you. I've adapted pretty well, but I really wish I could just remap the keys to whatever I want.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 21, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I feel like I need some kind of little Ni-Oh play guide to get the most out of this because I see everyone talking about ki pulses and stance switches and whatnot and here I am just kind of fumbling around with a katana in middle stance and acting like its Dark Souls.

Read the OP maybe :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Also for new players you should be practicing perfect ki-pulse since it gets rid of the negative color pools yokai leave that reduce your stamina regen by 90% (that's not mentioned in the OP)

Good point, added it. I had a whole bunch of verbose nonsense from the first two betas in there that wasn't really applicable anymore so I edited it out the other day for clarity, but I need to add a bit more in so feel free to suggest anything else not-clear about the game for new players and I'll add them to the OP.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Will character progress in the demo carry over to the main release?

Almost assuredly no, its just if you get the bonus unlocks those will pop up.

Especially since stuff will be rebalanced, they'll clear out our character progress. But you almost want to start fresh with a game like this, eh?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kusarigama are really growing on me. So many fun potentials, I love how fast you can spam the low stance square combo whirlwind of death.

Also man, looking through all the samurai skills, there's a TON of options. I really love the mix of Ninja Gaiden style unlockable skills, (which you can bind to your own choice of inputs!) along with otherwise souls-like combat.

Oh, and unlocking the skills that give you bonus ki for stance swap unlocks them on all weapons at the same time, so that's not bad really.

I really love that they included little demo videos of each skill so you can get a better idea of what it does. The descriptions really aren't sufficient.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So there's an item called the Book of Resurrection, which is a free respec for your character. Amrita, skill points, the works. You just can't use it mid mission.

lets hang out posted:

Euro demo has started.

You mean this? Its 10k, and then becomes 30k for the next. Or is there another book?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

You used to be able to stack each tier of talisman. But now there is only one tier. So you can only carry two of each talisman. So you can't loadout for a particular strategy.

Not sure what I mean about can't loadout for a particular strategy. You get more slots as you level up, you can upgrade your magic...

so you're saying you can't have like Wind I and Wind II at the same time now, but that just seems like balancing things better. I don't see why that means you can't make a loadout? Or that magic is automatically unvaiable?

I mean, it doesn't seem like you can do a straight wizard in this like in dark souls, but you can definitely go heavy into magic stats or ninja stats as opposed to going mostly physical.

Phantasium posted:

You can get one in the Twilight stage where the key was in the regular stage. So even if they eventually cost a bunch in the shop you can probably find enough in stages, too.

Ah yeah, makes sense. Dark Souls 2 kinda did it the same way having them be treasures you could pick up or buy from vendors for a lot of souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There's even a skill for bare-handed attacks :raise:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

theres a skill that lets bare handed parries steal enemy weapons too which could be fun

another interesting skill i found was one that made your weapon deal more damage with every enemy you defeat until you die/rest at a shrine

Yeah I really like the idea of being a final fantasy tactics style samurai with the bare handed blade-grasp, grab your opponent's blade and finish him with it. Very cool.

Feel like I'm in a Kurosawa movie running around slashing dudes with katanas and throwing shurikens and poo poo. Really fun change of pace from Dark Souls setting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Definitely ended up falling out of love with spears in this demo. Well, I still like them for normal enemies, but the katana is doing much better for me against bosses. If only there was any overlap at all between katana and kusarigama stats, those are the two most fun for me.

There is slightly; heart is best for katana and dexterity is best for kusari but skill benefits both.

And you can mix stats between vitality, heart, dexterity and skill and seems to work pretty well for me?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also within a weapon category different weapons have different scaling. For example, I have:

Tachi:
heart bonus B+
strength bonus D+
Skill bonus C+

Uchigatana:
heart bonus B+
strength bonus C
skill bonus C

So that changes things, the Tachi favors skill where the Uchi gets as much from skill as strength. (Both get the most from heart, obviously, as they're 2 kinds of katanas)

Dual Katanas:
heart D+
strength C+
skill B+

Kusarigama:
body D+
skill C+
dexterity B+

So it seems like a really balanced system with tons of options to me. Don't obsess about min/maxing your stats allll that much. If there's any point where you start getting diminishing returns, it might even make more sense to take a few points of say, skill as a katana over taking a few points of heart. We'll have to really play the whole game to get a feel for the meta, but it looks very open to experimentation and different builds to me!

Kusari and Katana both getting C+ in Skill looks pretty viable to level both, with a few points in heart and dex like I was saying. :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I started to see a slightly lesser gain when I put in STR 20, but it was like 1 point and didn't matter since it still leads to fun times with a hammer. Also, stamina raises Hammer strength as well.

I mean, we're not going to hit the diminishing returns point in the beta. It'll be a more long term thing. In lower levels you'll definitely get the most benefit from just dumping all stats into whatever gives one weapon the most boost.

Still, the difference between C+ and B+ doesn't seem to be game-breakingly different or anything. It gives you an edge if you completely specialize in one fighting style, which kinda makes sense. Also leaves you vulnerable to the weaknesses of that style, you don't have anything else to swap to if you go that min/max B+ route versus picking the C+ skill that multiple share.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh wow, and one of the random special diablo effects you can get on a weapon drop is damage bonus in another stat it normally doesn't scale in.

I just got a kusarigama that has C- agility scaling as a bonus trait, on top of D+ body, C+ skill and B+ dexterity.

This game is gonna have all kinds of build options! :dance:

So you could get a Kusarigama that has C- in heart scaling (or better?) in addition to skill and dex, and have even more overlap between katana and kusari.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

There are so many weapons and most of them are good so I feel a little guilty marching through both demos with a basic katana.

Demicol posted:

I played trough the first demo with the single katana, the 2nd one with the dual katanas and now I'm trying to use the chain. The high stance absolutely destroys regular human enemies but otherwise I'm not too sold on it. It's cool but feels like against more then 1 enemy it's kinda hard to use. Might be I'm just really rusty on the combat.

I played all katana the first two demos but now I'm really loving the kusari, you have so many options.

High stance kusari lets you do a ranged attack to pull dudes / poke them, works really well to interrupt some enemies from a safe distance as well, and then they're all stunned and you can move up and backstab them or whatever.

Medium stance kusari lets you do huge sweeping attacks which are fantastic against several opponents.

Low stance kusari has an ABSURDLY fast hitting square-square-square-square-etc. combo, where you just twirl a short part of the end in a tight circle and let it just hit your opponent over and over and over and over. It does TONS of damage and chain-staggers most enemies really well.

But I do switch to katanas for some fights still, like the boss.

Spears seem really good too for keeping your range, and axes just hit like a motherfucker and can kill things stupid fast if you land your hits. I'm gonna have to go back and play using some vastly different weapons, it feels totally different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Please cherish the kodama

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good news whoever was asking before: It looks like you can transmog heavy armor appearance over light armor stats, or vise versa. Just did it and only cost a small amount of gold.

That could be deceptive for pvp though :v: Although there's no pvp at launch so no biggie there!

Lakbay posted:

I hope it doesn't have restrictions so I can "wear" the cool heavy armors without actually having to spec into stamina

It doesn't have restrictions beyond weight; but you get bonuses to armor from matching stats to certain armor classes, which is significant. However, you can freely transmog (see above) so no worries, maximum fashion souls!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I like that Muneshige bows to you after he kills you :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The skills that "allow you to stance reset on dodge" are probably the most powerful skills in the demo, IMO. Get them ASAP for your chosen weapon and all stances.

It says "allows" but really it should read "makes dodge count as stance reset". Its so much easier to do, and much safer too. Sometimes trying to get off a stance reset means you stand next to an enemy longer and end up eating an attack because after you stance change you don't have another second to dodge. Doing both with one button is both easier on your hands and faster. It also implicitly means you're getting off free dodges that cost 0 stamina.

This also means you can clear the black yokai zones by simply rolling through them, so long as you time the roll at the end of a combo. Super easy.

And if you're ever really struggling fight some of the bloodstains of other players, get their loot, and equip it.

I got sick ninja threads now :ninja:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trick Question posted:

This demo rules, this game is gonna rule.

I've been trying an all-dexterity knife chain build this time, and it's fun as hell. The shuriken all seem kind of wimpy, though, anything make those effective? I know traps were the thing in the last demo, are those still in?

Can't get the hang of high-stance, even though people say it's the way to go for big damage. Those quick dodges on the low stance are just too much fun. Any way to make the high-stance attacks less painfully slow?

Shuriken are more just for pulling / interrupting enemies. If you want to hit hard, you need at least kunai, or otherwise stuff like the poison grenade or the fire shurikens that explode. :torgue:

Fun thing is if you're going chain, that means dex, and dex also gives you ninjutsu. So you get ninjutsu for free sorta.

For chain, high stance just press Triangle to do a ranged attack and give people a good punch from far enough even a spear can't touch you. Then when they close the distance, switch to mid or low stance. The low stance fast spam attacks are great for 1 on 1, the mid stance is good for groups, and high stance is good for ranged hits. High is also great for dealing with demons you don't want to risk getting close to, you can poke em down a few times and then close and finish them.

High stance is always slower, that's kinda the idea.

PvP in this game is gonna be ridiculous when it gets patched in. Katana duels with AI player bloodstains are already really intense. having to quickly attack, dodge, block your opponent, etc. like dark souls, but also swapping to low stance so you can interrupt your opponent fast, then swapping to mid or high stance mid-combo to do more damage and recover ki to keep comboing... its great. Then you toss in chain and axe and things which play completely differently and change up the rules (axe is harder to interrupt because of all the momentum, chain has ranged attacks, etc) plus ninjutsu, magic, bows, guns... looooots of toys to play with :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trick Question posted:

I meant the shuriken in general - including the poison, fire, kunai, etc. It seems odd that they hit so soft when you can also use that slot for being invisible or more power or turning your enemies stupid for a while. I guess you get a bunch of the basic ones, but still. Although, it could be that I haven't really tried the fire ones on much besides the first boss - I have to get over that urge to save them for when I really need them since you only get, what is it, three?

You say High stance is always slower, but in the previous demo thread people were saying that you should just always be high stance because the DPS is higher with the higher-damage attacks even if it is slower. Is that not the same for the knifechain? That advice about how to use each stance makes a lot of sense, though.

I think you only get two of the fire shuriken even, so not many. But it looks like in the full game you can purchase more ranks of the skill to get more of them. In the end as a Ninja you'll have tons of options, and you can do all of that on top of using bows or guns; nothing stops you from doing both. Ninja stuff is more about quick interrupts and hitting people when you dodge back more than just tons of ranged damage. Interrupt people, paralyze them, poison them, stuff like that to keep them weak and then go in and stab em.

But yeah they are a bit weak. Still, I find a few kunai does a good chunk of damage even against nightmare enemies, and can screw up their stamina or interrupt a combo or something too.

Relin posted:

i dont think this was posted re: mark of the conqueror

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/823051027641290753

also, them ultiplayer still does that thing where it just stops searching or gives you an error. the third result is no suitable matches found, which is at least reasonable

You don't have to "choose" either. You get both. And if you can't get them right then, you can always press Square on the main menu to unlock them in the store again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relin posted:

everywhere i see, including this thread, has people saying the MOTC didn't download. they're making it available later, because of incompetence. lest we forget they said you could bypass the first stage in the beta by having dled the MOTC, and it didn't work then either. so not holding my breath for the 3 rewards actually working when the game goes live

Yeah sure, but either way you don't have to choose :cheeky:

Just a cosmetic helmet anyhow. You weren't supposed to be able to get the mark of the strong I don't think, or at least not that easily, so it may be they unlocked both since conqueror was having issues?

I actually already have conqueror downloaded on my account from a previous beta, but it still gives me the error message in the new trial if I try to cash it in, where the conqueror is just like "you already have this" and doesn't give the error. Maybe its just bugged.

The network seems to have dropped for me a few times throughout the day, although it reconnected easy enough. Hopefully the stress test is teaching them some things and they can improve the back end servers before launch.