Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like that this game feels more like Team Ninja saw what Souls was doing, liked it, and slapped it into their samurai game. It doesn't feel derivative, and actually feels like it's pushing the format into new directions; the combat is great and the mechanics look quite interesting, although the game is clearly still in need of a little more dev time. I played three hours last night and didn't even find a boss yet, so it's a nice big demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone having trouble with the red ogre guys should toss a firebomb at 'em. Fire is a persistent damage over time effect and it can drain half their life bars in one pop. Throw it from a roof and you're totally safe.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My damage output on the boat boss is loving garbage. Am I not supposed to be facing him? He's the first boss I've found. He was a lot cuter in Shin Megami Tensei!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

use high stance if you're not, the difference in damage is huge

the slow spell works on him too

I...I don't have any spells...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ah! Ah! I made him drop his balls.

He threw them at me!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress my rear end the stamina system in this game just doesn't let up.

Is there a trick here? Somebody mentioned hitting R1 and I seem to be able to like...briefly restore stamina before losing it again? What the heck?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
These loving Kodama are so fuckin' cute in a game full of not cute things

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The hit boxes on these thrown balls is bullshit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
loving VICTORY! Hell to the yeah. I had to heal thrice but I feel like when I finally beat the bastard I had him figured out. Overall, not actually a terribly complex fight, just one that can go to poo poo very quickly...like every other fight in this demo! I dig this game a lot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bugblatter posted:

I finished the demo and... I'm kinda surprised to see all the praise? I don't know what I'm missing.

Pretty much everyone was quickly killed by a dash behind and then three light combos from high stance, levels were ugly, and the level layout was bland. Worst is just that the combat feels limp and floaty, animations just lack any oomph or feedback. Like this is everything I didn't like about DS2 amplified, more or less.

I think the first boss is where it just completely lost me. He spins those big metal balls and... they kind of just slide around soundlessly without much feeling of inertia or momentum? If they hit you you lose health but your character doesn't flinch? It just feels so amateurish. That had better just be the alpha nature of the demo, and not just the demo being called "alpha" so people will forgive such poo poo.

Sucks because the *idea* of a samurai Souls sounds great, and the stance system is a solid concept... but the execution is just so flaccid. If it's truly an alpha then maybe the combat will become more engrossing by release, but I think that would probably require a pretty major reworking of the animation which certainly won't happen. If it's released in winter or later I'll give it another look... but if they announce a summer or fall release then I'll know there's no way they've fixed things.

I mean, I dunno, you'll hit some tougher enemies pretty soon in the demo and especially in the second stage, and I found the big armored samurai guys never died in just a single combo so I had to approach them carefully. And...wait, you're upset that you can't get easily stun-locked? I mean, since you die in three hits generally speaking, I feel like you're basically mad that the game isn't not fun. Maybe you had some sound glitches vis a vis the first boss? I recall getting knocked on my rear end a lot too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do think, if Team Ninja is scanning threads like these for feedback, that they NEED to fix the damage values in this game.

To be blunt, every single enemy being capable of one or two-shotting me, even in full armor, is a pain in the rear end. I can get the appeal of having so little margin for error, but at this point it just doesn't feel balanced at all. Levels become grueling campaigns until you just level up enough to overpower enemies around you. The combat engine is great and nuanced and it's totally possible to clear a stage of enemies while sustaining minimal damage, but the sheer threat enemies present makes fights more stressful than fun.

The crawling enemies are the loving worst, their grab attack feels very off, like it has a really really good hit box and they can launch into it with very little in the way of tells.

I'm not sure how I feel overall about the lock-on system, but i sort of dig that it no longer automatically faces and locks my character on towards the enemy like it does in Dark Souls. This allows for great mobility, but it can gently caress you over at times too and you may get locked into comboing uselessly in the opposite direction of your enemy. The additional mobility, however, also makes it so much easier for you to expose your weak point, the back, to your enemy. If the lock on worked like Dark Souls, you'd have a bigger defensive advantage in battle because your back would always be facing away from your foe.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

Do they explain why a westerner named william is in old japan?

He's based off a real life guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

Try as I might I just can't keep any hosts alive through stage 1 :negative:

Just make your priority be helping them find shortcuts, it's the most useful thing you can do.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The more I try to figure out Ki Pulse stuff the poorer I end up playing. First time around I could favor the axe pretty well because the high damage could make up for poor technical play, but now I find that the game really wants me to do perfect ki pulses to clear away the yokai goop during boss battles and such. Problem is, the timing on it is kind of hard to pin down and if I look at the bar itself to tell when I should press R1, I'm *not* paying attention to the boss tells.

Overall, though, the game feels much tighter, and the bullshit deaths are far fewer. You get a much broader sense of what this game is going to look like and it's very promising overall.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I finally made my way to the second boss.

The design of her is fantastic and I love how much personality she has but she's also a cheap rear end motherfucker who can stun me at any time and she knows it, she toys with me and then she kills me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How do I use ninjutsu?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
yay i did it i beat the cave lady all by myself

i fuckin

i fuckin killed the poo poo out of her

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I only unlocked one Ninjutsu and it was the spike traps you throw on the ground, but those are actually pretty darn great against the cave boss. She'll always come straight towards you relative for melee attacks and you actually have a lot more time than you'd think to see what she's doing and toss the spikes down. Unless she spams her purple blast, you may not even have to move much, so you can kind of trap her on top of them to drain more stamina away.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't Musashi kick your rear end with just a boat oar?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I nearly forgot that Amazon dot com Prime's super awesome discounts exist. This game is going to be the best $48 I spend this year.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If Nioh is a success as it appears it will be, I hope it encourages more of this sort of open playtesting from studios and publishers. I enjoyed experiencing the game develop and grow over time and it served to make the "demo" element of it feel meaningful. I don't think every game should do this, but I think it's something more developers should consider doing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The game really improved from the Alpha to the Beta, and beating the Beta was enough to get me to preorder it. The game's got a lot of Dark Souls in it, but it feels very much like its own thing too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i am excited to play this game soon

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon has shipped my copy already. :toot:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

I don't mind it too much but is the whole game greyish and or on fire or are there more colorful areas later

Ha, came here to ask the same question, how is environment and level visual variety? Without spoilers if possible!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So where do I even get magic? I'm on like the third main mission and I never got any spell tutorials or introductions to it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I agree that having to do a perfect pulse to dispell yokai pools is too annoying/harsh. There's 3 levels of ki pulse: when you just do it whenever, when you almost get it, and when you nail it perfectly. I'd like it if they made the "almost perfect" ki pulse also count.

I dunno, it seems a fair trade-off. You can either avoid the pool or dispel it, and sometimes you have to do one or the other because of the circumstances of the fight. It makes fighting yokai have more levels of challenge and complexity than fighting ordinary humans. It basically reminds me of the reloading mechanic in Gears of War, but more integral to the gameplay.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Don't attack the poor wall Yokai! :(

I bowed to one and he punched me in the face, gently caress those guys.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know what this stupid sunken water temple ship graveyard bullshit stage is just plain rear end.

Let's just place bottomless pits loving everywhere, let's just go nuts WHY NOT

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PrinnySquadron posted:

Fuuuuck these bats in the Caves.

You can completely block them. You'll get pushed back a lot less too, so just know where they are and block.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think this game is really right to be compared to Dark Souls now that I've played it a bit. The combat is very different, and the combat is about 80 percent of the game experience. It's got such depth and complexity, but beyond that it also uses a totally different movement system. The physics governing your character are fundamentally different from the Souls games, so most of the time it doesn't FEEL like a Souls game, which is good because instead it feels like Nioh.

I haven't gotten a full mastery over my chosen weapons (axe/sword) quite yet but having played the Alpha and Beta beforehand I think spared me a lot of deaths and made much of the first handful of missions quite easy, because I understood the game's rules. I think a lot of initial "OMG this is so hard" reactions will be as a result of people expecting this to feel like Souls and falling off ledges a lot as a result.

I really like the mission-based structure, but I would like to see a follow-up attempt to create a Souls-like giant interconnected level for the setting, because I think these guys "get" Souls level design, even if they don't actually emulate it very much. The levels are really dense and full of hidden things, ledges to drop onto or hidden paths to find. Even seemingly throwaway stages, like that cool sandy temple zone, have looping paths, upper and lower areas, and so on.

The Silver Mines have my least favorite boss but they feature some of my favorite level design yet. It felt almost Zelda-like, with big open rooms and switches to hit to make paths. So I'd actually say the level design is really strong, with the exception of a certain water level that is just full of dumb bullshit bottomless pits. It's especially bad because not only are these threats to you, they are actually also threats to the enemy, but this means that rather than engaging in the (really fun) combat system, you just knock bad guys to their deaths, losing their loot. You may not even intend to do this!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm getting a chilly reception from a certain boss encounter in the third region. Any advice for for Yuki-Onna?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fadam posted:

Axe is so fun, but the stances seem really bad. What powers in the tree have you guys messed around with? I've been getting by with literally just high stance triangle.

High stance Square is actually not too bad for crawling enemies, mid-stance is good all around. I never use low stance axe.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd asked before, but I could use more guidance: what the hell can I do to make Yuki Onna less of a bitch to fight? She's wrecking me pretty handily and I only have my two relatively weak onmyo fire talismans.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Umibozu was a poo poo and killed me more than any other boss, like 10 times. Sometimes his instadeath laser must didn't have a tell.

That boss upsets me as well because if you melee him there's a good 1/10 chance of you suddenly plunge attacking right off the edge of the arena. His hitbox will just straight up vanish at random to allow you to careen to your death.

I absolutely loathe that stage, it is more frustrating than just about anything in Dark Souls, except MAYBE the original version of the Shrine of Amana.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

When I beat Umi-Bozu I got a little lucky on his deathbeam (only fired twice) but I didn't have too much trouble just by treating him like the mini-bozus. Hit his glowy spots after an attack and just throw kayaku-dama at him when you can't. Didn't seem so bad after Nue and Muneshige.

I have the hardest loving time getting the dodge timing down for his final phase. Like, it seems like it should be easy to dodge the big slam, but he always manages to clip me with the hitbox as I try to zip out. I'm clearly reacting to the wrong tell, but it's kind of hard to do that, especially if you end up dodging off the loving goddamn ledge because you can't see that there's a hole there because the level is dark as poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm at Mt. Hiei, how far into the game am I at this point?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to play this game as much without magic or ninjitsu stuff as one can (I just started swinging an axe and decide and my guy is too dumb for the fancy stuff) and I'd say this overall, objectively, is a handicapped way to play. Onmyo magic seems exceedingly useful and I'll be dipping deep into it whenever I reroll a character but I'll say this, using just your might to overcome bosses IS a great way to learn their patterns, because you have no choice.

The Co-op in this game kind of blows. It's such a pain in the rear end to have to first beat a level before you can be summoned as a visitor, but worse still you can't do that from WITHIN the level. I fail to see why they couldn't make this the case, there's now no option to be a summoned phantom to help somebody with a boss (and learn it yourself in the process) without having to abandon a mission and your progress within it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand the blacksmith system in this game and in general I kind of hate the loot system.

I end up with way more gear than I ever need and while I appreciate being able to just exchange excess gear for experience points, I feel like the game would be greatly improved by having far less stuff. Most of the items I pick up don't seem useful, most of the weapons I find I never even look at, I generally just change armor every so often by going up to the top of the menu and picking the highest numbers.

It would be much more meaningful to have armor sets like in Dark Souls, with each armor having something it kind of does better than others. They could be spread out around mission maps, even, making it a meaningful sub-objective to scour each mission to complete each armor set. Hell, Twilight Missions could then serve to provide means to power up the loot you get, so you could incorporate those in.

I dunno, the system as is just doesn't really feel worthwhile for this style of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Belzac posted:

Then Don't Use It.

Don't use...what, the loot system? Collecting items is basically all you do in levels beyond combat. The game even sets up Dark Souls-like traps where they lure you with items, but after awhile I don't even really care, because my inventory has too much stuff anyway, so I don't even bother or I only bother just to see what the trap is.

It feels imperfect, and you can't opt-out of picking up items.