Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm only in the middle of NG+/DLC on a first playthrough so don't take my word for it, but I didn't find the difficulty curve necessitated doing side missions in NG with a few exceptions, like the one that unlocks the secondary blacksmith. Power-wise I always felt like I was progressing very quickly just proceeding through the plot.

YMMV but I suspect you would just end up comically overleveled doing every or most side missions on the first playthrough. Also, most of them aren't that rewarding or interesting of content anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think wheelmonks are that bad. Just bait the fire breath sweep attack, get a few hits in, repeat until you knock it over, repeat until dead. Tengus can get hosed for sure though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I could see the scaling on storm kunai getting pretty out of control considering you're probably getting 3x all your modifiers and 3 backstabs per toss, normal kunai idk.

It does seem like it would be a fun way to break the game, especially if you can get enough infinite ninjitsu modifiers to go Full Kunai. But the ng++ loot game aspect of nioh is so weird, niche, vague, and poorly explained I feel I'll never know

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

When should I be using what stances?

Besides the dodge/roll properties mentioned above it really depends on the weapon. I used Kusarigama for the vast majority of the game and all of its stances have weird properties that don't necessarily apply with the other weapons. If you get into talents that modify stance combos or add options at the end of a combo it gets even more complicated. For just starting out I would recommend just trying to mix it up with one of the weapons and find several use cases that feel comfortable. You don't have to constantly stance dance or anything unless you want to really optimize your damage output.

RatHat posted:

Wait did they add new enemies to the main game at some point? I don't remember these foxes.

They only appear in the higher ng+ levels which were added with the DLCs

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 16, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nioh is a game about cheesing IMO, make your peace and embrace it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Playing through this finally and man the difficulty feels incredibly uneven to me. Regular enemies are pretty trivial once you've seen their moveset, but the bosses have fuckin' enormous health pools and their attacks are incredibly strong and feel very hard to avoid. Honestly having more trouble with some of these early bosses than I did with most Souls bosses, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It almost feels like you're meant to co-op most of them, but maybe I'm just not progressing correctly in terms of build / grinding out levels, etc.?

It can be a hard game if you play it fair/naive but it provides a panoply of options for cheese. If you haven't done so already I would recommend dabbling in magic enough to get sloth talismans to begin with, adding those alone can carry you a long way.

efb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Is the vanilla katana cool or wack. I was thinking about starting with it in 2 but now I’m not sure. I played kusarigama and odachi in 1

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you beat the first mission you get a helmet transmog for the full game, I think that’s it but I didn’t actually finish the twilight mission so not 100% sure.

I made the boss walk into iai slash a lot and it was fun, thanks for the advice nioh friends

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think it's much of a guess to say the whole plot will center around hideyoshi getting amrita corrupted, OP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You do need the 30k expertise training to get sloth IIRC, it felt slow but I got it passively by midgame just occasionally putting the lightning buff on my weapon.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 16, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think they've commented on PC release at all. If you assume it's happening and will take a similar amount of time to the first game coming over then probably late 2020/early 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah the "end game" ninja training mission's loadout really opened my eyes on a few of the less meta ninja options, the fire traps being one. The blinding powder is another, I couldn't believe the extent and duration to which it made the AI of the boss just stand there swinging at empty space

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Speaking of, I'm currently getting smoked by this forge demon, and sometimes my living weapon comes back to me as soon as I respawn at the shrine, without leaving a grave, but sometimes not. What's up with that?

I don't have the game on me to check the exact wording, but there's a stat called something like grave return that gives a percentage chance for that to happen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Your first run through can be like that (it's also like that in 2 in my experience). So much of your power is baked into the rapidly escalating levels of the gear that it doesn't make much sense to spend too much time thinking about anything other than making damage/defense numbers bigger. NG+ and onwards have more going on since they sort of become a cheese arms race as the loot aspect of it takes over and builds really come online

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Having finished NG of 2, the area reuse didn't really bother me. Usually when you're in a returning area from 1 it's just as an arena to fight in for variety/flavor's sake, not as an area they expect you to re-explore which makes a big difference to how it feels I think. The re-use that does irk me a bit is (later game spoilers) having new giant skeleton and orochi type thing boss fights. They played plenty differently but were similar enough in concept that it felt more than a little uninspired.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 17, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tonfas were and are stealth top tier. Many people are saying this

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think for NG the most fun way to level up is to just do a quality build with points in everything so you can get the armor bonuses from whatever drops and use whatever guardian spirit. Dump points for magic/ninja/main weapon stat as you prefer otherwise.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Re: Osakabe Mostly it just sucks. That said you only have to do as many phases as your damage when the main tentacle falls down dictates, it's definitely possible to do it in 2. I was just barely able to not do that much damage and so I chipped out the last ~5% of the HP by shooting the eye on the castle, which you can do every ~15 seconds to damage the main health bar.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All the giant gimmick bosses are kinda stinkers, but they were in the first game as well so no real loss there

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There were less sengoku randos popping in than I was expecting actually, the story is kinda more focused on the heavies this time around. I feel like Nioh 1 definitely mined more obscure guys.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That is true, I assume some of the semi-generic miniboss guys you fight who get codex entries are also that. I was definitely expecting more of the nobunaga and hideyoshi families than actually showed up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

With the possible exceptions of the ones that have kodamas and reward guardian spirits, there's honestly not a ton of incentive to clear out the side missions until the end of NG when you can curbstomp most of them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pierson posted:

Just finished my first New Game playthrough playing pretty much nothing but Katana and Spear. I've not really tried anything else because I'm Boring but I'm gonna break away in NG+ and try the other stuff out. Is there a good site for builds that aren't endless 10min youtube videos.

You might have some luck on reddit, but when I was looking in the weeks after launch it was mostly obnoxious youtube videos for sure

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Do you guys have any recommendations for resources for builds and how to set them up in the NG+es in Nioh 2? Fextralife, reddit, and mumbly outdated youtube videos all really suck to try to learn from.

Basically I'm coming back to the game for the first time since launch and thought I might try doing the postgame. Things were going pretty smoothly until the final boss in Way of the Demon who I just do not have enough gas in the tank to realistically beat, and now I'm afraid I finally need a better build or a much deeper understanding of all these gear systems.

I've been using a probably pretty generic flying kato ninjutsu setup with kunai and feathers driving otakemaru's core spam (none of which except the kunai can hit the boss for poo poo). At the least I think I need a lot more untouched ninjutsu, but I'm unsure what would be a good way to approach getting it onto kato pieces. I'd be willing to respec to some other cheese if it's easy to prepare just to get over this hump at this point. I'm not above being carried either but I've had not very many bites trying to co-op it on PS5.

Any ideas?

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 19, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sorry, when I said last boss I was talking about otakemaru, so yeah going to the next NG+ level is what I want to do but not yet an option. Thank you for the suggestions though, I agree his core just seems too irritating to use on his constantly jumping purple rear end

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 19, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I broke through to dream of the wise after complaining here previously, it really does help. But it kinda just kicked the can down the road for my reckoning with understanding all the insane gear systems, except now with red quality armor you can't craft. I still wish the game had better resources online.

As for the story in both games, I am a mid grade sengoku nerd and should be squarely in the target audience but it still doesn't really land for me at all on a deeper level than "ah they made cool high effort 3d models of X person/event". The story direction is just kinda bad all around

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The DLC has some cool setpiece environments but it's still riffs on the usual stuff. However, I don't know why you think wo long is going to present much different

lol efb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What is the worst giant boss in the niohverse could be one of the great debates of all time. There are fantastic arguments to be had on all sides.

Personally, I can't consider osakabe the least bad when its basic conceit is being attacked from off camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Once SoP starts to hit like 20 bucks with all the DLC I feel it'll become more of an easy recommendo. Really not as much meat on the bone as either nioh but perfectly enjoyable in its own silly way