Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cat chat - I dont care who you are, if you declaw a cat you are a flaming cuntrocket that needs to die in a dumpster fire. God Almighty, that sends cats insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

That the public is aware of. The real number is at least in the 7 figures.

Nah, the rest of them were trying to gently caress kids while screaming up and down about the threat transgender people pose to women and children.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Haha Trump is going to be president. Whats the over/under on him getting assassinated?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. He won't.

meatpimp posted:

And Cruz drops out... that's kinda sudden with the rhetoric he was throwing just a couple days ago...

"Here's my running mate Carly, aaaaaaannnnnndddd PEACE BITCHES!"

2016 has not been a good year for us, especially the past month:

Cat needed emergency surgery for a blocked urethra ($500)
Screen controller on my phone failed (LG G4) and then my backup Samsung Galaxy 4 failed a week later. I have no phone
About to deploy for a couple months of Air Force
We owed taxes this year. And found out our insurance failed to pay a bill more than a year ago. So we owe that too.
Someone sliced the sidewall on my Audi's tires. Not even a year old.

All of this in the last month.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 4, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That is an opinion that should be agreed to. No matter how bad Trump may or may not be, a guy who WANTS Armageddon and has the finger on nukes is loving poo poo scary idea. Plus his rephensible views make the Taliban blush

Trump is a loose cannon too, and feels that we should have the right to use force wherever we want. He's not much better in that regard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Except all Trump does is utter a word salad. It's so bad even ADHD kids can't follow it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jared592 posted:

:bahgawd: In my day kids were just starting to have beepers and getting caught with one was an rear end-chewing.

I used a laptop in school, because NERRRRRRDDDDD

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Actually Apple ] [e and IBM PS/2 but same sentiment :haw:

That's what we had. IBM Clones for the win.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Hey does anyone remember the Samsung Galaxy S4?

I still have one. The MicroUSB port finally failed, though :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Somebody set a pretty nice fire in my hometown last night. Luckily nobody was injured or killed, but it's another piece of history gone. My grandfather worked here for 47 years. The original building was built in 1842, I guess 150 years of cotton and wool dust impregnated into heart pine flooring is fairly flammable.
http://www.tallasseetribune.com/2016/05/05/fire-destroys-historic-mt-vernon-mills/

Sherman strikes again!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Maybe this year's annual Confederate cosplay convention can have something real to look at while fake-defending the "solid granite monument to the fortitude and tenacity of the Southern people, who managed to hold off a superior force of invading yankee barbarians for four long years."

"See that son? Our ancestors died to defend that steaming pile of wreckage. God bless the Confederacy and our wealthy slave holders."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

The rule prohibits selling "covered tobacco products" to people younger than 18, and buyers must show photo ID.

Meh, false narrative. Moving on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
SpaceX landed their first stage on a barge. Again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This college kid on my roommate's rugby team is staying here for the week so he can finish the season. He has never seen Seinfeld before. It is blowing my mind.

Tell me how to unsee Seinfeld.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Holy shitballs that fire up in Alberta is a monster of a thing...

And heres us about ready to sack all our seasonal fire crew for the year and im sitting at home in jeans and a jumper because its cold outside!

Ironic that the town famous for the Oil Sands is the one affected by a fire that was strongly influenced by Climate Change. But, yeah, it sucks for the people who lived there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm getting anxious to leave for deployment. Let's get this show over with so I can get back to real life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

I guess you better get a boat then

Needs more unterseeboot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

corn in the fridge posted:

That mustang meme is insanely dumb and you're pretty much a retard if you think its funny

Mustang owner spotted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

WHERE MY SAFESPACE?!?

Someone wrecked their overpowered Mustang into it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pizza, you fool. Pizza is the superfood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Whenever someone says superfood, my pseudoscience meter twitches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

But if I don't eat my manuka honey the toxins will get me!

Health magazines are especially bad about pushing the same sort of pseudoscience, appeal to nature bullshit that morning TV does. Especially with protein shakes and health food all-natural appeals.

Its amazing we survive as a race in the technological era.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Don't fool yourself, every school is for profit, you'd be surprised how often I have to remind people here. Just because we're a community college doesn't mean we're not for profit. Guess what has to happen when attendance dips? Sorry people, we have to trim the fat somewhere and it's usually in the area of part-timers and then it's by newer hires first unless older faculty/classified/managers want to take a golden parachute.

But they really shouldn't be. Especially Public institutions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

State employees here are unionized. Further, there is your specific trade union within the state employee union. I worked for one of the two state university systems so I was in an educational union inside the state employee's union. Try busting that poo poo.

You can unionize and work for a non-profit entity. That's not how it works.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

New AAA study showing more people in fatal WA crashes had marijuana in their systems: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fatal-crashes-involving-marijuana-in-washington-double-after-legalization-study-says.html
AAA itself is being pretty reasonable with not jumping to conclusions, but on its face, doesn't sound good for legalization.

I wonder if marijuana consumption broadly went up after legalization, and whether that had a significant effect?

So we treat it like we do DUIs. I thought WA and CO basically said driving high would get you a DUI?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spog posted:

Okay, same question at 100mph

(So, 55 isn't a blanket limit? Guess my reference material for US traffic laws, 'Smokey and the Bandit' is out of date)

It used to be 55, some states it still is, but most states have a 65-75 interstate speed limit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

corn in the fridge posted:

I watched Deadpool on my flight and holy poo poo what a terrible film. Boring start to finish and every joke painfully forced and unfunny. I can't see how anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature actually finding this sort of tripe enjoyable.

Best Marvel film yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

:siren: ATTN: All Ubiquiti users :siren:

Upgrade your firmware immediately, I'll be doing so upon arrival home.

Thanks for this. Shared with my LUG

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I'd venture to say uncle jack also doesn't knowingly sign up for a class about Vietnam and not want to hear about it because trigger words.

We had a Vietnam vet in one of my classes that would crouch anytime a jet came by and would be covered in sweat when he sat back down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

...did the enemy even have jets in vietnam?

Yes. But American jets were not known for their accuracy in close air support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

We still manage to bomb our own troops occasionally, but it happened a lot more back then.

A lot of the napalm and Phosphorus bombs were basically drums with fins. Yeah, very minor accuracy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I like to sit back and watch the turds fly with some of my coworkers. One guy went from "The prison system is bad and is keeping poor people poor" to "No way am I letting trannies in my bathroom" within 5 minutes.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

10 year anniversary this year. Wife is having kidney stone issues. Had to go to the ER yesterday :(

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Dear neighborhood birds: I put that feeder out there, so don't territorially yell at me when I go out to refill it or mow the lawn you little assholes. Especially the ones who are nesting in the eaves of my house. I feed you and put a roof over your heads, and this is how you repay me? :argh:

"Motherfucker is trying to steal our food!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Pretty much the same deal as mine was. Found in a CT scan that was to look at my sinus turbinates. I ended up having surgery on both things at the same time, and it was pretty miserable the day of, but got better rapidly in the following day. Hopefully your wife will see rapid recovery and be able to breath much better!

In the ageism talk, I got pretty lucky to get into my current IT job at 45, and because of how specialized every piece of software in our company is, it's a huge loss whenever some old person retires and takes their 20+ years of experience with them. It's just not something that can be replaced by new people without a lot of time and the pain that comes along with their learning. Luckily, the company seems to understand that, and they have started revising all the pay grades annually to keep up with the market and try to retain people. It's very common to have people with 15-25 years with the company and be well into the 'older' age bracket.

Side effect, we get to see "Our company mourns the loss of...." pieces on the company news feed fairly frequently as old IT dudes that fail to take care of themselves keel over and die before deciding to retire.

Edit: I was in a meeting where the Associate Director of my group was talking to a Senior Director about hiring new people. The consensus was that a new hire that had all the technical knowledge, but no direct experience inside our specific industry would take between 9 months to a year before they could be handed a project and be able to handle it at a reasonable level of proficiency. So basically they have to write off that first year's salary as on the job training. This was not dependent on position either, it was applicable for Business Analyst, Devs, or QA (which is the positions that make up my group).

Yeah, we're having the same issue. It's getting so bad they are starting to rank experience over degree holding.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

drat. You know you work at an awesome place when your boss is telling you to blatently lie about something to colleagues so he looks good. The Peter Principle prevails once again at the community college. Also, gently caress that guy. The truth always wins.*

*Truth with documentation always wins

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't normally hang out in here, but crossposting for those that don't follow my dutchoven bus thread.

You get em CSB. I'll bring the aluminum bats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

So my folks, seeing as they're now both retired, have decided to trade in their Volvos (XC90 and 850 wagon) with 600kkm between them for a boring new Octavia. Rationally, it makes tons of sense, but it'll mark the first time since 1983 when the household had zero Volvos. At least the Octavia is red. edit: and a wagon.

Obviously your parents have been replaced by replicants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

My girlfriend just offered to hold on to her old civic through the winter so I can drive it if I get a boxster spyder.

Fuuuuck.

Put a ring on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

15k: Ring or boxster downpayment? :ohdear:

Does it have to be an expensive ring? Just give her a piston ring. You'll need some anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Wedding industry is a scam, gently caress spending that kind of money on a ring. Get something that looks pretty.

Spyder all the way.

What he says. Don't spend a lot on a wedding. Or a ring. If its for love, you want to save that debt for a later date when you'll actually need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

It's time to stop wrenching for the night when your wondering why there's no fuel pressure and the tanks empty....

I stranded myself this way

• Locked thread