Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Another recommendation I recently read: $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing In America, by Kathryn J. Edin and H. Luke Shaefer.

It's essentially an up-to-date, very policy-heavy version of Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, and an excellent, absolutely horrifying exposé of the simple fact that "1.5 million households with roughly 3 million children were surviving on cash incomes of no more than $2 per person, per day in any given month” in 2011.

To very basically explain why, according to Edin and Shaefer, the current welfare program is dependent on work and for some people and their children it is just literally impossible to find any work, let alone work that will pay enough for long-term housing. The horrifying result is welfare-for-work's natural byproduct. Thanks moral hazardites!

Check out Ehrenreich's Economic Hardship Reporting Project. They've brought some really good pieces to fruition. It's directed by Alissa Quart, who reported this feature on 24 hour daycare for Pacific Standard a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Times obituary for Dan Berrigan, a stalwart of the Jesuit left.

RIP.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I masturbate to Death Wish 3 and I vote.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr. Fowl posted:

And he answered with a smile that says, "Wouldn't you like to know, Larry?"

I am going to miss Obama. We are never going to have a president who can so regularly upstage the talent at the WHCD. Hey, can we bring him back to host? Imagine how goddamn salty the GOP would be if Obama hosted Hillary Clinton's Correspondence dinner?

Personally I don't think it would be appropriate for a sitting Supreme Court Justice to host such an event.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Obama Foundation will be based in Chicago so I'm thinking he'll spend a lot of time there.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Boon posted:

I think you mean 3 Presidents :colbert:

One's a tough dog to keep on the porch.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah it took me a while to give the Working Families Party a second look since I figured, based on the name, that their intentions were some kind of Holy Roller anti-gay thing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ron Jeremy posted:

It really bothers me that the yoda gangbang doesn't sync up. At least not on my awful app. Also, I kinda liked my AV. I've had it forever.. Hope this is a temporary gimmick and not a tax on shot posting

It's an optical illusion. If you stare long enough you'll see that they're forever in sync.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah, see also the Tulsa Race Riot - notable for military fetishists as one of the first aerial assaults on US soil, when white people bombed the middle class black district from the air.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He should have removed Fiorina from the ticket for a stock poll rally.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Smoothrich and Boosted, the sages of D&D.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Reading the first page of the primary thread is the funniest poo poo ever now.

Someone suggested Fred Thompson as a potential candidate, :rip:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Taerkar posted:

My main disappointment is that the lack of a brokered convention means that there's a chance the GOP Convention won't be a complete disaster.

What will they do this year to one-up the chair?

Let an orange reality television star yell incoherently.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh man I missed this. In a tremendous victory for the GOP, an interesting protestor showed up at a Clinton event this week:

Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

blackguy32 posted:

So one of my previous annoying as poo poo colleagues posted about how working class whites are flocking to Bernie and Trump because both parties have largely abandoned them. And while I do know the very strong history of how many white working class people don't mind making GBS threads on minorities if it makes their lives the least bit better, I am sure that it goes deeper than that.

What exactly would you like to learn about working class whites, that fascinating sub-genus that I have read about in The Economist?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hillary Clinton demonstrated during the HUAC Benghazi Committtee hearings that she's at her best dunking on retards. I'm licking my chops imagining her placidly listening as Trump spouts incoherent insanity.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Has anyone done the legwork to see how many governor's mansions are up for grabs this cycle? I could maybe put a thread together this weekend if not, don't have time during the week.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thanks, appreciate it.

Probably not enough action to warrant a separate thread.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Snowman Crossing posted:

Mass transit is so gross

Sprawl resident spotted.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Guardian has a big, sad article on America's Trailer Parks and the moneypeople who profit handsomely from them.

TLDR; people living in mobile homes have very little protection from landowners.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Torpor posted:

But Trump is a Republican left-wing socially liberal populist vulgarian. Hillary has never faced such a creature!

She has not faced a candidate resembling Trump, that is true.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He is by far the worst major party candidate in history. The Democratic equivalent would be, like, nominating Sean Penn.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm against legitimate vape, but some of the charges are absurd.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Liberal_L33t posted:

For real though, you've got to admit that most social progress in the United States was a result of being pressured into it or forced into it by a strata of society that could be referred to as "the rich".

Hilarious username - post combination.

And no, no one has to admit something that's palpably incorrect.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mike the TV posted:

The best part about presidential elections is watching the 18-22 year olds cry like babies about how the whole process is unfair. Babby's first election, etc. I'm just smirking irl about the thought of these little twerps sitting in fetal positions about how they were this close to changing America to the way they think it should be.

Shot: sagging flesh, divorce, receding hairline.

Chaser: sad kids who aren't as coyly cynical as me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm very envious of France's national model of education.

States Rights are bad for education, as for everything else.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

pretty sure even if you discounted them, union deaths alone would still be more than enough to qualify

In raw number more American soldiers died in combat in WWII than Union soldiers killed in the Civil War.

But still, it's not even close something like 2% of the US population died as a direct result of the Civil War lol.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Talmonis posted:

Eeeeh. A drawdown of size and the return of overseas bases to their native countries would be good, but Russia and China are far too big of assholes to be left unchecked. We're assholes who piss around in the middle east. They annex neighbors when their poll numbers slump.

We're also assholes who mess around with permanent bases in Asia (Okinawa, ROK) and who mess around in Eastern Europe by pushing NATO expansion closer and closer to Russia's borders.

I'm no fan of Putin or the CCP but pretending that they aren't acting according to rational geopolitics just obscures reality.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Larch posted:

Clearly the rational response to bordering nations considering joining NATO is to invade the ones that haven't.

Yes, that is true.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Larch posted:

Only if your goal is to convince them to join NATO.

Maybe.

Keith Gessen's reporting has shaped my thinking on Ukraine and Russia, here's three articles I found enlightening. Don't have time to summarize as I'm at work, but:

What if Putin Were Nice? at Politico.

Western Journalists in Ukraine in N+1 (issue 24 had an excellent series of articles from all sides of the Ukrainian conflict).

Why Not Kill Them All? in the London Review of Books.

Putin should not have invaded Ukraine obviously but it fit well within the dominant schema of Russian geopolitical thinking that has animated their foreign relations at least since Stolypin.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Domino Theory 2: Putin Buggaloo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
They're inspired by the crushing success of the LYIN' TED epithet.

"Dangerous Donald" has Mark Penn all over it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mark Penn isn't part of the campaign team.

I'm aware. It still sounds like something his dumb loving rear end would say and it's not like he's no longer in the Clinton orbit.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DemeaninDemon posted:

:qq: Hillary's trying to get votes instead of saying exactly what I want her to say. :qq:

It's the same strategy LBJ used in 1964 which worked out pretty well.

MAKE SOCIETY GREAT AGAIN.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I give him credit. It takes courage for an establishment GOP figure to endorse Trump in this climate.

But everything worthwhile usually does.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It says Bush 1, and he registered in 2011, so no.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Oakland Martini posted:

A little off topic but I had to post this one: Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight. This happened to an acquaintance of mine yesterday. Amazing he was so calm about it, I would be royally pissed off.

To be fair Ivy League economists have done more damage to the United States than any terrorist organization.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I missed this a couple weeks ago, but In These Times published an article about the terrible working conditions at recycling yards.

Strong combination of data and illustrative anecdotes. It's a depressing read.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If an immigrant or refugee successfully committed a terror attack it would help Trump but not enough to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jesus.

See also, "The Great American Chain Gang,", an in-depth report on American penal labor from The American Prospect. It's about two years old but, since nothing ever improves or matters, still equally relevant.

• Locked thread