Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I've always just kinda had in the back of my mind that the WD red drives were the best for in-desktop use but now that I've looked into it a bit I'm not as sure. I'd specifically like to know from someone who has a WD black drive how loud they find it? My case is on my floor anyways under my desk but if the WD Black drive is so

Application is as a general storage drive on my PC which will house mostly photographs up to around 1gb in size which I'll be opening/editing fairly frequently in PS/LR (might be doing this on my SSD before storing finished images on the HDD, not sure yet). I have a tb of SSD on the system already for my OS and programs/games, so the new drive would really just be for storage/backup. I know the Red drives are more for a NAS , this isn't something I'm really interested in setting up as I only ever have to access this stuff from my one PC and a NAS would end up sitting beside my tower anyways.

Is a Red the way to go because of longevity and cost? Should I get a Black for the bigger cache?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

If you want a HDD for size, but you also want decent performance, don't pass over the Seagate hybrid drives, specifically the 2TB (the 4TB runs at a slower speed). You then get a fast 7200 RPM drive with an 8GB MLC NAND cache, which may help if you're frequently working on the same project.

It even costs $20 less than the 2TB black. The only downside as such is that the Black comes with a 5-year warranty, as opposed to the Seagate's 3.

I don't think I work on the same project often enough to take advantage of the hybrid aspect of the drive. The way I understand it the hybrid drives are best suited to use cases where the same assets are being accessed with sufficient regularity to trigger the 'learning' of the drive to put those assets on the SSD. I don't think it'd be useful for me but I'm not an expert. I definitely don't want to go less than 3TB since these files are only going to get bigger and bigger.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I just bought this at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4592900.p?id=1219775848732

I wasn't really looking to buy a new machine but I saw this at the store for WAY cheaper than it should have been. Somebody had it mislabeled with the price of a lesser model. They honored the price on the tag and I walked away with it for about $500 after taxes.

Did I get a bargain? It runs WoW and Tf2 really well but I was wondering what it's weak spots are and if theres any cheapish things I can get that would improve it drastically.

If it really has a SuperMulti DVD/CD burner and 6 USB ports as advertised I'd say you got a pretty amazing deal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

Can someone double check me here. I'm pretty sure this CPU (i7-4970K) fits this motherboard (ASUS Z97-K).

Intel's site says the CPU supports the FCLGA1150, and the motherboard says it 's LGA1150, but google tells me that doesn't matter and the CPU is listed as compatible on the ASUS website. If I understand properly I just need a BIOS upgrade to support the CPU, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

Yeah those are compatible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you have 4-8 threads running at ~4ghz you won't be limited by the CPU in most games. I have a 4790k running at 4.6 and I think I'll only upgrade once the benefits from DX12 make it worth it.

e: Since it was mentioned in the post above I'm running a 144hz 1440p monitor. With a 980ti and the above CPU (both overclocked) I generally hit around 120+ FPS in graphically demanding games. I imagine when used 980ti's become available at good prices I'll just SLI them and take NCIX off my bookmarks.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 2, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If anyone is reading this btw and is trying to decide between a 1440p 60hz monitor or a 1080p 120/144hz monitor, I think the 1440p monitor is the way to go if both are IPS. The extra resolution really makes a big difference. If you're a CS pro then ignore me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Better yet, have it all with a 1440p, 100hz, G-sync! Ultrawide :retrogames:

I do have an IPS 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor and it wasn't really worth the money over non-gsync since the g-sync monitor really only is noticeable at <60hz in my experience. When I do run games at 50hz or so to have the graphics turned way way up then the g-sync is great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

marauderthirty posted:

That seems fine. Are they normally adjustable? It looks like this one is judging by the pictures.

Anything else I should know as a first time builder? Do I need to buy thermal paste for the CPU/fan? Is the single case fan + CPU fan going to be enough for cooling if I'm going to OC? The performance will probably be plenty for me at first, so I probably won't be looking at overclocking right away. Any other ancillary items I might need? Cables or mounting hardware?

Just as an FYI you frequently find especially with newer processors that you can wind up using a much lower CPU voltage for the stock clock of the chip. They have to set a stock voltage which will work on all produced chips which themselves vary in quality due to manufacturing differences, so if your chip is average or better than average you can usually knock some mv off and have it run cooler. I've found with mine that I was able to overclock fairly well and reduce the voltage to below what Intel had prescribed for the base clock.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anemone posted:

I feel like I went a bit overboard with this build. I'm making a pc to run a Vive as well as capture output and do video editing for a youtube channel. Is there a way to shave off some cost without hurting performance below what I need? (Besides the phantom case which I probably wont get,but it is nostalgic.)

I'm in The Netherlands.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($304.69 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.94 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($251.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: Audio-Technica M50x Headphones ($139.95 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($22.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2126.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-03 12:23 EDT-0400

Don't buy a non-IPS monitor - I think you'd be way better off getting an IPS 1440p 60hz monitor than getting a 144hz 1080p TN panel. Unless you're a really high level CSGO streamer the high refresh rate is absolutely not worth suffering through a 1080p TN panel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I just built a new machine from scratch (the wound from the cooler is still healing), and I'm having some trouble with it.

The first is that my USB2 devices (Razer mouse, WASD keyboard, Audioengine speakers) don't work in the USB3.1 ports, in BIOS or Windows. There are two USB2 ports, which work fine, but I have more than 2 devices and that stuff should be backwards compatible anyway, right? The motherboard is an ASUS Z170-DELUXE.

The second is that when it's rebooted or sleeps, it doesn't come back up. The power light is lit, but pressing it doesn't wake. I have to long-press to shut it down, then boot it back up. When it's stuck the numlock key doesn't respond, so it's pretty far down.

After I boot it from a lockup state, the motherboard's "surge detection" trips, which I'm pretty sure is spurious *unless* my power supply is defective. It's an EVGA P2 1000W. I've read this may be fixed by a BIOS update, which I will attempt shortly.

Machine is basically:
  • 6700K, at stock
  • Noctua DS15 or whatever
  • 32GB G.skill DDR4 at 3200
  • EVGA 1080, factory clocks
  • Samsung PCIe x4 SSD
  • ASUS Z170-DELUXE
  • EVGA P2 1000W

Cranking it under Heaven doesn't trip anything, and temps stay fine.

This all strikes me as more of a mobo issue than anything else. I'd try updating the BIOS first and see.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bob Locke posted:

Hey all, I posted about a month ago with a planned build a friend put together for me, then never really did anything with it. I've been convinced to get a GTX 1070 so things have changed a bit.

What country are you in?
USA! USA!

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming.

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
With the addition of the 1070 my budgets expanded into maybe the 1300 range? I don't wanna go crazy but I want it to last.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
1920x1080 at the moment, I'm planning to replace my monitor later and probably get a second one. I'm really not that picky about graphics, but I certainly wont complain if things look nicer. I care most about things running smoothly and not dropping frames.

No plans to overclock, that's one hassle I don't wanna deal with. I don't really know what I'm doing with regards to what's good/bad and what fits in where, so any advice would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.97 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($405.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)

If you're wanting to game at 1080p you can save money and get a cheaper video card (970 even). If you just picked that monitor because you weren't sure what to pick, see my posts in the last couple pages re: a 1440p monitor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I left it unattended performing the BIOS upgrade (using the in-UEFI tool), and when I came back it was hung with the fans at max. It no longer appears to boot. I will investigate reset options.

The release note for this bios was "Improve system stability", delightfully.

At this point I'd remove the GPU and disconnect any non boot drives to eliminate possible culprits and also safeguard those components if the mobo is really hosed somehow. Do you actually have 4 PCI-e SSD drives?

There is a reset button on that motherboard you can press (and hold probably - look online).

Something to check - people who are new to PC building often don't press the RAM all the way in. Make sure the sticks are actually seated properly all the way in - they should click in and the lever at the end should snap into place into the divot in the end of the stick.

e: The other thing people do is incorrectly attach the headers for the power/reset/USB case buttons, something else to check. Let us know how the story develops!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 3, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anemone posted:

I'm going with liquid assuming it's a quieter option, I think that's right?

Liquid isn't necessarily quieter - it still needs fans on radiators to cool the fluid. Having said that I do think that an all-in-one these days is a pretty good purchase just for how maintenance free they are.

Subjunctive posted:

The RAM clicked; I'm definitely not new to building.

I have one "PCIe x4"-type M.2 SSD. It's the only drive, other than a USB key.

I'll look for the reset button when I get back to the machine, thank you!

Sorry - I wasn't sure your experience.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I used the reset button with the same BIOS, and reset the CMOS, and got it booting (the filename needed is only documented via trial and error accounts on forums?). My DX:MD performance issues are resolved, at least.

My devices continue to not work in the USB3 plugs, and sleep/reboot remain a death sentence. I wonder if wake-on-USB isn't set correctly or something. I couldn't find anything to tweak in the BIOS, and the keyboard/mouse don't stay lit. When I force it to power down after a failed sleep the next boot always says that overclocking failed -- I'm not overclocking.

Frustrating.

I'd try updating that BIOS again, or contact your retailer and replace the mobo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't buy a $150 video card. It won't be good enough to run anything. Put that 300 aside for now, save a little bit more, get a 970.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jesus don't buy a 7xx video card. If you can save up that much money you can save up for a couple more weeks and buy something that isn't going to be an immediate disappointment.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

I'm getting black screen resets when the card starts working hard (Black Ops 3, Battlefront). Temps on the card are staying under 80°C when it is under load which seems to be normal for the card, rest of the system is <50°C. Idling temps are under 40°C on all components. I haven't seen any of the screen tearing of artifacting that usually accompanies a heat issue. I checked a few calculators and a 550W PSU is cutting it really close for my system + the new card.

Are you overclocked at all on the GPU? I've seen this happen when I push too hard and the clock fails. It doesn't have to overheat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess I should have watched a video of a full build because I seem to have done everything in the wrong order so far

Just ask in here or PM me if you need any clarification on stuff. But yeah usually the ram and CPU/cooler are mounted to the mobo then the mobo is mounted to the case, then the case pins are attached to the mobo (power/reset/usb/etc) and then the drives and GPU/PCI-e stuff are installed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

goodness posted:

How's case tech changed in 5 years? I have an antec 300 that is packed to the gills with the 290x and hyper212 cooler in it. What would be a good upgrade that is easier for cooling

For cooling it's mostly just provision of space for radiators along the fan bays. Some have basements. Removeable drive bays were probably around 5 years ago. The grommets are nicer material and cable management is easier.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyper 212 evo would be great. Don't need extra case fans, hot air behaves as it would regardless of air volume in this context and is easily exhausted with a basic fan setup with an outwardly directed fan at the top and/or top rear of the case.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Banano posted:

I don't find this system struggling much (it's actually at 4ghz contrary to the speccy report) just wondering if there is some new hotness that might justify a new build. I was mostly thinking of upgrading due to wanting to change to a new 30" monitor as my current dell 3008wfp was good for it's day but runs very, very hot, and has really lovely black levels for movies.
Assuming I go for a modern dell equivalent at 2560x1600 or 4k is a gtx1080 going to be bottlenecked my current setup?

System is primarily for gaming, video encoding and ableton live (though I don't do massive arrangements and don't use many plugins)

A single 1080 won't be able to run most games in 4k maxed or close to max at decent framerates (it would run a 16:9 1440p or non-4k ultrawide to >60fps maxed on most games). Don't buy a dell monitor - they're nice but you can save a lot of money getting an acer/benq/equivalent. Upgrading from your current system would be mainly to go to a dx12 setup and to take advantage of the multithreading available on newer processors. Your current CPU would very certainly bottleneck the system with a 1080 in the mix.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I've got an i5-4590 - and I've noticed the stock heatsink fan is a bit noisy under load - what should I look for in a replacement/aftermarket? Don't need anything elaborate, just something that will be hopefully quieter. And do I need to buy new thermal paste separately or should coolers come with enough?

I would recommend a ~$35 cooler master hyper 212 evo, and yes buy a $5 tube of thermal paste (arctic silver 5), you should be reapplying paste every time a cooler is removed. Isopropynol alcohol on a paper towel is fine to remove the old paste.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

goodness posted:

I should probably reseat the cooler snd thermal paste after 5 years right? I'm trying to wait until Cyber Monday to upgrade my case and ram. Will be cleaning everything out then if I can make it.

If it's working fine (ie you aren't having problem with temps) just leave it, use some compressed air to blow out the heat sink and you're good. Nerd autists will change their paste sometimes but it's really stupid unless you're having trouble in some way.

e: Nowadays with nonconductive pastes it really doesn't matter if you add too much because the stuff that gets squeezed over the side of the CPU will just sit there not doing poo poo. Back in the day the pastes were sometimes conductive and could create shorts etc on the mobo beside the CPU.

You basically need a pea sized amount in the center of the heat spreader on the CPU. You should spend more energy worrying about placing the cooler down evenly than how much paste you're using.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aesculus posted:

A friendo with too much money wants a monster gaming build.

Budget: ~300 x :10bux:
Monitor: Ultrawide 1440p, 100ish hz
Phoneposting so I'll just link the PCpartpicker: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vy6mD8

Is that budget in USD or AUS...D?

A couple things for the build:

- Go for 32gb of memory if he's going to spend that much and wants a monster build.

- Get a 1tb 850 EVO instead of a 500gb 950 EVO.

- Could get away with a 600-750w PSU if he wants to save some money there.

- I'd get a cooler master hyper 212 evo instead of the $100 cooler. It'll do just as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yes I have and it's exceptional. I once put a screwdriver through a motherboard while mounting a CPU cooler (12+ years ago) and they just gave me a new one no questions asked. I'm quite sure you'll have no issue.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Anything similar with the USB ports (and everything else front mounted) not at the very bottom? I keep my case on the floor, that's rather inconvenient.

It's obviously personal preference but you're going to find that most m-itx cases are designed to be on desks and if you keep your case on the floor you're one of very few m-itx people who do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The noctua will be fine and maybe quieter. I don't find my 212 evo to be loud at all (with two fans mounted to it) but it's also in a case on my floor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Always go 16gb of ram with a new build so you can run chrome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guys I was kidding about the chrome thing :( but wasn't kidding about everyone should have 16gb.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

Hey guys, I've had my PC for over 3 years now. Over the years I've upgraded almost everything on it (graphics card, RAM, power supply, etc) but I'm still running the original MoBo and Processor.

Processor (CPU) AMD A10-5800K Quad Core APU (3.8GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7660D Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® F2A85-V PRO: (ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s, Xfire)

I'm thinking about upgrading but honestly, I don't know too much about MoBos or CPUs but I'm thinking of moving over to intel (i7 so it'll still be relevant and decent performance in a few years, I believe it's called 'futureproofing') but I'm not sure which one would be best. My machine is used mostly for gaming, but I'm also hoping to start streaming, which my current CPU struggles with at decent qualities. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

(Budget: nothing too crazy, but enough to last me 3-5 years +. Location: UK, use: gaming/editing, but mostly gaming.)

Sorry if there's not enough info here, I'm hoping there is.

The rest of my specs: Case: PCS Maelstrom t900(in case you need to know how much space I have), GPU: GTX 970 (4gb) Ram: 12 gb 1600mhz DDR3 (1x8, 1x4)(wouldnt mind upgrading either). Power supply: Can't remember exactly but I think it's 700W upgraded from 450.

You're correct in thinking it's a good time to move to intel and that an i7 would be a good idea if you're building a gaming/streaming PC because the i7's have multithreading which basically make them better at handling multiple discreet workloads. The one I'd look at is the i7-6700k which is overclockable (it has a k at the end). You can spend more or a lot less but it's a very good processor, especially if you're editing/rendering videos for youtube or w/e. I'd get at least 16gb of ram and maybe 32gb of ram if you're doing higher resolution streaming stuff while also encoding and saving to an ssd etc. If money is tight just go with a 16gb setup and see how it goes.

For motherboards, there are frequent reccomendations in the thread, I like ASUS boards, MSI boards are popular, don't buy a gigabyte board. You don't really need a fancy looking board with huge heat spreaders on the VRM and stuff but those boards also usually come with more reliable components and better VRM for overclocking stability and such so really take a look at what you need.

For cooling your new CPU I'd suggest a cooler master hyper 212 evo if you want something better and quieter than the stock cooler.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

My Asus board has been absolutely fantastic, so I'll probably get another (if I even need to upgrade at all) Can you (or someone else here) recommend a specific model you'd go for?

As for RAM, I'll be picking up some more in the near future but RAM isn't nearly as important as the CPU or GPU when it comes to streaming apparently, I've been reading a few things online about the i7-6700k, so I'll probably look in to one of them, thank you cery much.

I can't make a budget recommendation but I use a maxiumus hero VIII or something and it's been great. I have an overclock running and it's extremely stable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Btw if you use wireless for your PC don't spend an extra $100 on a mobo with wireless just get a pci-e wireless adapter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Hi. I'm supposed to be a second set of eyes on some dual-socket budget barnburners for dev machines. Any data on the storage will be transient, so RAID 0 is good to go. ~12GB of RAM per core is the appropriate ratio. Anybody see any glaring mistakes, or have any cooler or mobo recommendations? Is 650W good to go for this? Will a single 1.2TB PCI-E Intel 750 SSD be massively faster than 4 commodity SATA ones in RAID 0?

Also taking suggestions to appreciably improve performance within a ~$4k budget.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 2.2GHz 10-Core Processor ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 2.2GHz 10-Core Processor ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9DXi4 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9DXi4 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D16 SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3499.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-19 16:13 EDT-0400

What exactly is the workload going to be like? Rendering or?

e: I would absolutely not go with Crucial SSDs. If it's something that can have no acceptable downtime go for samsung or intel drives. That's an opinion piece from me I don't have any data to support it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

This is for everybody to have their own personal Kubernetes playpen for a giant pile of microservices, rather than maintaining multiple expensive dev environments in a cloud provider. The expectation with consumer SSDs in RAID 0 is that there will at some point be hardware failure, and replacement will happen.

I just think to have 4x somewhat lovely SSDs in raid 0 you're going to have an unpleasant time, even if you're running the occasional backup (might want to toss in a WD 4tb drive or something for this if you aren't backing up to cloud services). I wouldn't run 4x crucial drives in 0 on a personal rig let alone a business workstation. You could also run them for years without a problem who knows.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AFAIK initially there was eufi issues with those drives but it could be resolved by now. Specifically I'm not sure for your application. For that price why not two 500gb Samsung 850 EVO's in raid 0?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flyboi posted:

Oh hi. I'm back in this thread after years to consider possibly updating my processor. Reason being is I use Windows 7 for very specific reasons and 10 is not usable for me. Long list short Windows 8+ busted how midi is handled and I use roland devices via dosbox/other means to play old games with them. Other games I play flat out do not work or have such bad latency issues in 10 that I've yet to have a reason to upgrade. According to wikipedia Kaby Lake will not be fully supported outside Windows 10 because Microsoft hates everything not-10 and is the new Apple. That means that Sky Lake will be the last fully supported processor for Windows 7 and well sure whatever.

CURRENT BUILD:
Mobo: P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Ram: 16GB Corsair something something DDR3 memory. It's blue and matches the mobo :3:
HDs: 1x256gb samsung evo 840 1x1tb corsair something ssd
GPU: NVidia 1080
CPU: i5-2500k
PSU: Seasonic SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswathefuck newegg whatever. It is however from 2011 but it has been working fine.
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

Considering GPU/PSU/HD and even HSF? I think should work with a sky lake processor I should only need a new motherboard, cpu and ram correct? The HSF is from 2011 so maybe it won't fit but the same model is listed as working??

Anyways as a "gently caress you Windows 10 I'm using this for 5 years like I did my i5-2500k" I was thinking of getting the following:

CPU: i7-6700K from whichever is cheaper between amazon and newegg
MOBO: I have no idea? I haven't followed mobos in forever because never needed to upgrade. Needs to support K-series overclocking, have 1 gpu slot, 1x pcie slot, gigabit ethernet and 6 usb ports. Everything now is covered in plastic with built in wi-fi, headphone amps, blah blah blah :psypop: so suggestions appreciated.
RAM: 16GB of whatever matches the mobo suggested because I doubt the ram in my sandy bridge works anymore

Good idea? Bad idea? I honestly will not be upgrading to Windows 10 until EOL security updates forces me to have an offline Win 7 box like I do with Win 98/PPC mac and with no more CPU support means chipset support will likely cease as well for 7.

Why upgrade your GPU if you have a 1080? Your PSU is fine still, can always add a HDD for storage. Definitely a new CPU is a good idea. Asus mobos are nice, I'd look for whatever is on sale with 6-8+ VRMs.

e: Your cooler is also still fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^Going from a 980 to a 1070 for 1080p 60hz gaming is going to only benefit you 5-15fps. If it's worth it to you and you plan on upgrading your monitor to a 1440p or 4k one at some point then it's not a waste of money but if you're staying at 1080p (or that 1600x1200) it might not be worth your money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Could anyone help me with RAM? I have an HP Pavillion P7 1380t that currently has 3 GB of DDR3 10600U Ram, 1333mHz i believe. (i know its all i could scrounge up). i just ordered 2 4GB Sticks of 16000mHz ram and it doesnt seem to work (No error codes or beeps, but getting no video) i looked it up and it seems like this computer should work with this new RAM. Is there some setting i have to change in the BIOS to account for this new RAM? Did i mess up and buy the wrong kind? Thanks for any and all help as 3 GB of Ram is not nearly enough for WIndows 7 Pro, much less playing any games on it. Oh and if its relevant the onboard video doesnt seem to work so there is an old crappy GPU in there instead (a Biostar GeForce Gs8400 with 256Mb of DDr2 Ram)

You're either putting the sticks in the wrong slots, not putting them in hard enough to make them click, not removing the old ram, using 2 sticks that aren't paired, or your pc can't support that ram for whatever reason.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

What's recommended for the low end if an i3 is too expensive?

(~550 CAD budget)

If you can't afford an i3 you won't be happy with the result regardless. At that point you should check local craigslist for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Millow posted:

I built a PC in 2012 based on mostly this thread's recommendations. I don't know much about current hardware. Right now I have:

I5 2500K+ OC'd to 4.2ghz
16 gb ram
800w power supply
256gb SSD
Radeon 6950 2gb

I want to play Battlefield 1 on good settings. My video card is the bottleneck here, I could only play the beta on everything low, and that was only after changing some poo poo in the registry because BF1 wouldn't accept my drivers and they don't make new drivers for this card anymore. What video card should I buy without going too crazy? I don't play a whole lot of games (other than the Battlefield series), but I do want to be able to should I feel like it. Thanks!

Guessing you're using a 1080p monitor? A 1060 would be fine but I'd buy a 1070 so you can grow into it and pick up a 1440p monitor down the road. Your CPU is also almost certainly bottlenecking a bit, I'm sure BF does benefit from multithreading to some extent.