Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Mordja posted:

So vehicles can go down to massed small arms fire then.

Great.

It was like that in the original DoW as well. They were just extremely ineffective.

Aside from the lack of physics with dudes being chucked around in melee (and explosions) I think I'm going to enjoy this. I enjoyed the original DoW more than 2 and even though I appreciate the realistic cover mechanics it just didn't feel right playing with such a small amount of units. Having the squad AI constantly reposition your squads to fit in cover was annoying and I can imagine what a nightmare it would be for large armies like they're trying to go for right now is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I know a lot of people are looking down on the competitive focus they're going for, but that's something I've been looking for in an RTS for a long while that will hopefully not release DOA. Starcraft was made to be difficult for the sake of being difficult. If I get to play a multiplayer RTS without being forced to micro my base every 2 seconds I'm already going to enjoy it.

That being said it is a little disapointing that the visuals won't exactly be up to their usual standard

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Kanos posted:

You realize that Starcraft was made difficult for the sake of being difficult specifically and precisely because it had a competitive focus, right? Most of the added macromanagement mechanics in Starcraft 2 were added specifically because modern pathfinding and unit selection meant that pros found the game far too easy to play.

Yeah I realize that.

I know this is a bit subjective but to me you can still have a competitive game that focuses on fun parts of the game (Unit/ability micro, controlling armies in a big battle) and not the boring tedious stuff required to win (worker micro, building micro). When I play Starcraft all I want to do is build up a big army of different dudes and use their abilities to help me win big fights. I wish I could turn on autobuild and not worry about supply and all that poo poo but instead I need to focus on all of it which gets in the way of the fun part to me. I like base building, I don't like queuing up 5 guys at a time (which is also bad cause of floating resources, etc..) and constantly swapping back and forth between my base and a fight.

Grey Goo was a fantastic RTS I wish people still played. It went almost a little too far with the simplification though, units didn't have active abilities but there was still a lot of uniqueness between them. The game lasted like a month or 2 before the multiplayer population just died.

I'm not saying DoW3 will fix all these problems, but judging from their past games they usually focus more on the fighting and less on the building. Won't really know for sure until people play it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Mans posted:

what you just said is basically Men of War and it just furthers the point that the Men of War team should be doing a 40k game.

Was manually controlling a single dude in a big group a viable strategy in multiplayer? That's all I ever did cause it was fun, but I always got the feeling I shouldn't be doing that.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Sounds fun. I was hoping to give it a try at PAX East but it doesn't look like they're going to be there so I'm glad to hear from someone who's played a demo.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So is the open beta slated to happen sometime soon? Now? Or did I miss it? I could have sworn I signed up for some beta newsletter but I didn't any emails about it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can't think of any game, Rts or shooter, that can compare to dawn of war 2's terrain destruction. Not even red faction guerrilla matches the complete hellscapes late match maps turn into.

I always just remember Dawn of War 2's cover being completely removed by the late game. All walls and obstacles you could use for cover were just destroyed.

I don't remember ever looking at background objects and terrain though either so maybe those got messed up too.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'm having a hard time actually selecting individual units to use abilities. I swear every time I have a group of guys with grenades selected it deselects the squad as soon as I choose a spot to throw the grenade. Not to mention trying to select individual squads to use certain abilities is almost impossible to do in the middle of a fight.

Is there anything to help with this? Tab seems to just cycle through all units on the battlefield, and not the ones selected.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I enjoyed the beta, although I did have a few gripes with it. I still found it hard to actively pick out units to use their various abilities in the middle of a big fight. Squad reinforcement almost seems pointless after the first 5 minutes into the game since I always ended up floating in waaaay to much Requisition. It was faster to just replace whole squads outright instead of slowly reinforcing them back to full strength. Makes me think they should just make reinforcing units automatic and/or free if they're within a reinforcement zone, pretty much like elite units heal for free near them as well. With no retreat mechanic there's really no reason to do it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Artum posted:

I think the game could stand to make reinforcements cheaper to reward you for going that extra mile and actually managing your squads, all it really amounts to now is not having to pay for plasma/flamers again and thats for one unit in the entire game.

That and we need the right click overwatch reinforcement option from the earlier games.

Yeah I wish we had that at least. I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing with the extra resources. I literally just notice I have way too much every so often so I pick a building and queue up a ton of new basic squads or something.

My main issue with reinforcements is that squads drop so god damned fast, I feel like I'm actually doing less by trying to pull them back to reinforce them instead of just leaving them to at least do some damage before they're wiped out. Other wise you risk getting wiped out on a retreat since most of your guys have been running instead of fighting (But not running super fast with damage resistance like the other games' retreat mechanic)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

a harpy posted:

I think part of this is just because of the way people run units into eachother, but I don't think the game is supposed to be like that. I think the game being new and people still figuring it out is what's leading to the blob vs blob compositions and the lack of strategy. Hopefully top end games once the meta has been figured out will have lots of interesting back and forth dynamics and the where/how/why of engagements will matter a lot more than people think (closer to Warcraft 3.)

I mean, that might not happen. But that's my hope for the game. The potential is certainly there with all the crowd control, unit upgrades, stealth mechanics, etc.. Perhaps it'll just be a game about the rich getting richer and big blobby armies. Way too early to tell. I'd hope that the developers would steer it away from that, though.

Yeah that's my feeling on it too. If it's supposed to be that way then I don't know why reinforcing is even a mechanic they decided to put in but restrict to base buildings/transports.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Delays in move orders have been a thing in all multiplayer RTS's since forever. It mostly just has to do with latency. I don't know if they're still doing P2P or a client-server setup, but both can give you delays if your connection isn't that great.

I didn't notice too much of a problem in the beta, I think there was one 3v3 I played where the delay was actually painfully noticeable.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Orks own because you can literally use your enemies former forward base as building blocks for another forward base for yourself. Same with your own destroyed forward base. Basically Orks play like the Super Space Cockroaches they are lore-wise and it rules.

Orks can use building wrecks to make their own? I thought it was only vehicles.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'm enjoying the game so far. Pretty fun with friends.

I'm still pretty annoyed they tossed out Victory Points. While the new objective based game mode is still better than "Annihilate your opponent's entire base", usually by the time you end up being able to win that's exactly what you're doing anyway. Some friends and I played an hour long 3v3 last night. We didn't even finish it, we had to end up leaving because it was taking so long. Neither team was making progress. We tried to capitalize on killing their elites but it was pretty much impossible to push all the way in when the enemy team has like 3 super abilities to keep the chokepoints blocked off. Then they would push and we'd do the same and no one would get anywhere.

This game loving sucks in 3v3's. It never ends.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

3v3's have been so god damned stale-matey that a friend and I try and take both titans (if we're playing Orks or SM). It takes forever to actually get to that point but we can actually finish a drat game by then.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Things that counter vehicles are available earlier and for (usually) no power cost. So rushing a vehicle almost always get's me nowhere.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

All armies have a building available at the start of the game that produces anti tank infantry that costs no power (With the exception of eldar, and to upgrade the warrior portal to do it it only costs a small amount of power, 10 maybe?)

For Orks and Space marines they also produce other things that are probably useful and good to have, like Lootas, Trucks and Heavy Bolters.

The cost of the building that produces vehicles is already over 100 power, and you don't even get the vehicles yet so it's much easier to get to the counters first. Not saying vehicles are bad, it's just there's really no way to rush them unless your opponent literally decides not to build a counter.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 5, 2017

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes, the point being that tacs can scale in ways shootas can't. You trade a weaker starting point for a much better end point. The reinforce cost increase makes it a drain if you go hard on it, which sucks, but plasma or flamer tacs are still miles above where shootas with loot end up.

There's a hold fire toggle, did you hit that accidentally?

On that note, how many in here are playing with default keybinds?

Are there ways to play without default keybinds? It doesn't look like there's a menu option to change them.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'll point out I absolutely hate all the economy and base macro in Starcraft because all I want to do is control my army effectively. And in DoW3 I'm pretty much just exclusively microing armies instead of messing with how I'm going to be making enough money and dudes for the next wave.

There are a few things wish you could automate though like reinforcing squads and possibly the ability to just leave a production building to constantly build 1 thing if I have enough money (Like how you could 'overwatch' a unit in the first game and it would auto build them if you had the money).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I've been trying to do some poo poo with a ton of killa kans and all their doctrines.

It's pretty fun. But the only time I can really start pumping them out is escallation phase 3 when I get them for real cheap at my towers. I feel like they don't make a big impact then. Although I can usually snipe a few things at a time with their big rocket doctrine.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Megasabin posted:

This is helpful.

What about general strategy for listening posts early game? Throw them on everything or be selective? Build them closer to the front line or build them on your backlines for reliable extra income? Do you prioritize the electricity or requisition upgrades?

If you have the reinforcement near listening post doctrine it's pretty nice to rush a forward point and post it. You pretty much can't be stopped if you're near it . It leaves your back generators a bit more open if your opponent decides to push that far back though. Pushing real far early is dangerous enough as it is since it's so hard to actually fully retreat so I don't see it often (And I don't do it often). Some units and Doctrines are made to do this though, Assault Marines, Invisible Dire Avengers, etc so it's still possible.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I thought they added surrendering as an option so you still got skulls or something.

This game is doing much better than almost all other RTS's I've seen released in the last few years in terms of playerbase. It's mostly because of the Relic and War40k brand but at least it's enough so it doesn't die in a month. Christ it has more current players right now 2 weeks from release than Grey Goo had at their peak. And Grey Goo was a fantastic game

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I like the look of these. All except maybe the Dire Avengers change. I haven't tried a game with these changes yet but on paper dropping half of the Dire Avenger's shield and a quarter of their damage seems like a huuuuge overnerf. Especially since Shootas were untouched and Tactical marines got better too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

It's a shame. I enjoyed it while I could find games within 5 or so minutes. It unfortunately seems to have met the fate every strategy game release in the past few years have met. Pretty much every multiplayer RTS community dies within 2 - 6 months of the game release, and by dies I mean concurrent players drop dramatically until games are difficult to find, which then feeds the loop. This happens to games that most people even consider good. My favorite in the last while was Grey Goo, but the playerbase for that disappeared so fast it never recovered.

The more populated RTS's seem to be all the oldies, and CoH2 (for some reason, though CoH1 is doing quite fine). Makes me wonder if nostalgia plays a large role in it. DoW 3 definitely had some issues but I don't think it really died any faster than every other RTS that gets released nowadays. In fact I'd say it's surprising how long it actually did last.

• Locked thread