Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've been sick for a week so I never got around to getting the mower my dad gave me started. Yard's looking pretty rough.

I think I'll keep putting it off until I see that both my neighbors have mowed first. Play some lawn chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Next time I do home renovations I'm just going to loving pay someone to do it.

I have come to accept that there is a huge disconnect between what I am capable of doing and what I actually have the motivation and energy to do.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Its been like two months since I started renovating my bathroom, it's extremely slow going since I barely get anything done unless I got a friend or my mom over here to keep me motivated. Plus I've been sick for the last week or so.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh it's absolutely my only bathroom. I have a usable toilet and shower and not much else. And no door, currently.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got the same deal I don't think this guy knew what a dielectric union is.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My house had carpet in the bathroom. The literal first thing I did after signing the papers and getting the house keys was drive over and rip that poo poo out.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working on my bathroom remodel. Someday I'll be done, probably when literal ghosts possess my body and force me to sand this loving drywall mud. :negative:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

howdoesishotweb posted:

Since it’s starting to cool off but still humid my AC is not running much. House humidity is 72-75% now. Should I be getting a whole house humidifier?

If you want the environment you choose to live in resembling a bog, yeah, humidify the poo poo out that house.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah like I live alone these renovation projects are killing me I only even get anything done when someone is here helping me. it's more the motivating factor than anything else.

I hate it I feel like I can't have company over until I get this done.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

This was me this summer. You'll be happy when you finish because you'll finally be done.

this is my dream

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a fireplace but I would have preferred a wood burning stove.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Every house I've ever lived in has had its own shutoff valve in the house for both water and gas, I don't understand why any homebuilder wouldn't put a valve at the point where the water comes into the house just in case.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'll probably get a tankless when my hot water heater eventually shits itself.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a proper air purifier which can get counts down to single digits if it's allowed to operate in a closed room, but there's no way it can keep up with the drafts in the house as a whole. I'll be picking up some 20x20 furnace filters to strap onto a box fan I have lying around; maybe that'll be able to move enough air to make a dent.

I mean, that's really all a run-of-the-mill air purifier is, when you get down to it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You shoulda just said you saw some smoke from the tree. That got the power company out to my neighbor's house real fast last summer.

It was true in that case but that's beside the point.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know some people in here were talking about it a bit ago, there's a sale on tankless water heaters on Amazon today.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876004&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

The rentals not so much about profitability as it is offsetting the mortgage. The going rate for a 2 bedroom 2nd floor around here is 1800ish and we charge them 2250 so even with excessive usage we are doing well. Other than the electric usage they're ideal tenants and it's not worth something making a fuss over. Just wish it was tied to the nest.

There's gotta be a way to wire them together, might be worth contacting a hvac company or an electrician. It'd probably just take running more wires to where the Nest is? That's what they had to do when I installed my Nest. Nest even paid for it lol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Manwich posted:

Late, but if you want to just attack the symptoms. Bar Keepers Friend works. Make a paste or buy the paste, leave on for 15 minutes and get to scrubbing. You need an acidic cleaner to cut through the base of soap + minerals.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water in the shower and a scrub brush and spray the bathtub down every couple of showers and scrub it real quick before I get out of the shower.

vinegar rules for cleaning.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah man, like my house usually doesn't get down to the lowest temp that eco mode on my thermostat will hit when I'm at work but it did today. Yikes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
or you'll just have to get a 30 inch and cover up the extra space or put in a small cabinet

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

Can anyone in here maybe answer some questions about water heaters

We have an ao smith promax electric water heater, size is I should've gotten the model number when I was home for lunch. It's at least between a 30-55 gallon as it's approx 5' tall.

For the most part the hot water coming out of it is hot, as expected. However, it doesn't last very long at that temperature, in fact it's not long enough for my wife to fill up our bathtub for a bath. There are 2 thermostats on my heater.

I adjusted the top one a while back and that made the water hotter than it used to be

But until today I didn't realize there was a bottom one

Would adjusting the bottom one make the water stay hotter longer? Or what would be some other issues for water not staying hot for very long.

when my hot water heater would run out super fast it ended up being two things:

1. the bottom heating element was burnt out
2. the water heater had like two feet of gross slurry in the bottom of it (it was like sediment/minerals and who knows what else). this is likely what burnt out the heating element

i ended up draining the entire thing but the sediment didn't come out so i had to buy a smallish tube that would fit through the heating element hole that i then duct taped onto the end of my shop vac hose so I could get it in there to suck it all out.

it all took a couple hours but worked great afterwards

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I agree they should have used conduit everywhere that part is just lazy. it's an interesting idea tho but I'm sure I don't know enough to know about how that insulated foam lasts over time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
zero percents

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I only buy squarehead screws now, phillips can go burn in hell

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
good luck with your basement long trench, comrade.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've never owned a new gas mower in my life, buy that poo poo used usually a broken mower just needs new spark plugs and a bit of seafoam run though the engine.

I also have an old fashioned manual mower that I like using but lately I forget to mow as often as I should and it won't work when the grass is too long.

I'd like to just landscape away half the grass in the yard but that's not something I have motivation for currently

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
hey everyone, those extendable hoses that are made of fabric and plastic fuckin rule, they're so much lighter and portable compared to regular garden hoses. just get ones with metal ends and not plastic. and get some quick connects for em

I gotta crawl under my house and figure out why one of my outside spigots doesn't work. I bet there's just an internal valve that's closed somewhere.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
terro ant killer will wipe out any ants you have, I think it's just borax but I got a little bottle of that poo poo three years ago for cheap when I bought the house and I've never had an ant issue since. just dab some of that poo poo on some cut up index cards and that colony will regret ever crossing you.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

babydonthurtme posted:

Back with another question, are longer warranties worth buying on water heaters? Everything I see online says making do with the standard 6-year and keeping up with maintenance is the way to go.

Also, if we're looking for a cheap, sturdy lock for an outdoor shed (where we're planning to stash the mower if we get one ASAP), what would y'all recommend?

I imagine you want a lock that will resist just twisting off the shed with a metal bar. Just get a cheapo whatever lock, because odds are anything you put on there is gonna be stronger than the latch itself is. It's just a deterrent to lazy thieves or teenagers.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I probably bought way too much fridge when i got mine, it is very large.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
does the amount they're putting down really matter to you? I've never sold a house but how does that even make a difference ultimately?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I can't justify solar on my house because there are currently no state incentives here in Michigan and my house isn't really positioned well for it, but my mom and her husband's house is and they're never planning on moving so if the incentives line up again I'm going to try to convince them to get solar and help them pay for it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the master valve in my house is a pain in the rear end to get to. If I ever have a house built all that poo poo is going to be super accessible.

And the drat bathroom won't be on the opposite side of the loving house from the hot water heater.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you fools there are fireplace solutions

This is the only picture I had accessible I'm on a business trip idc.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
yes that's exactly what I have it was like 140 bucks when I bought it like three years ago

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 25, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my kingdom for a properly grounded outlet.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Terro Ant Killer liquid is the only anti-ant product that I've had any success with, and that poo poo works amazing. Put a blob of that poo poo on a slip of paper out near where you see ants and they're gone.

It's also cheap as poo poo and you don't need much of it.

https://a.co/d/dUO5olv

I bought one of these when I moved in to my house over seven years ago and I think I still got a quarter of it left. it has turned a little brownish but it still looks fine I mean it's poison who cares.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Your fittings took the pressure long enough, once all your neighbor's weaker poo poo blew the pressure would have presumably been relieved enough for you to escape unscathed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a reverse osmosis system that I was just going to install in my new house and split it between a tap at my sink and the fridge for the ice maker and just bypass the filter on the fridge entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my new house that I bought last Friday and moved into today has a shower stall with sliding glass doors. One of them just loving exploded on me when I was about to get in the shower a couple minutes ago.

I lucked out and did not get too badly cut, but holy poo poo did that scare the ever-loving poo poo out of me. Also you can imagine the state I was in since I was about to get into the shower. the deepest cut was like two inches away from the vein in my loving wrist.

Gonna replace that poo poo with a curtain holy poo poo