Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA.

So the same as First Class and DoFP then? Which were written off by the sage scribes in this forum before they came out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

JK Simmons is currently Commissioner Gordon for the new Batman so it's unlikely he'd get double cast regardless of being Literally Perfect for the role.

I'll accept JK Simmons to become Gordon as long as he plays it EXACTLY like Terrence Fletcher from Whiplash.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder is there any sort of metrics around that might indicate how popular the DCU is vs the MU (comics) in different territories? FWIW, I am in the UK and have been interested in comics for 25+years, and know a lot of similar people. Hardly anyone I ever talked to is interested in the DCU (comics or movies) aside from Batman. The reason I wonder about this is because this thread seems to spend what to me seems a lot more time discussing the DCU movies than Marvel. I honestly don't know anyone who will care about the Wonder Woman, Aquaman or JL movies and despite having seen every comic book movie so far in the cinema I will probably not bother with those. I just have a feeling people in the US appreciate those DC movies more, for whatever reason.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The third act of Ghostbusters is definately a problem but there were enough laughs in the first two that overall I thought it was a good movie. I'm glad people here gave it a chance and aren't completely making GBS threads on it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The ultimate insult is the comparison to Oceans 11/12/13 whatever...those remakes are some of the most blank, boring films ever made and tbh the simple comparison is making me question whether I go see Suicide Squad.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Heathen posted:

Saying that Suicide Squad is worse than Fantastic Four is a little misleading. FF is not good but it's definitely not 9% bad. Catwoman is also 9% and it's way worse.

I'd put Fantastic Four with Green Lantern (26) and BvS (27) and if SS is doing 32% then that sounds about right.

What doesn't sound right are the complaints that it's slow and boring. This should be a big dumb movie with sexy bad girls and angry bad mans and large explosions and thin plots. This should be anything but boring.

I haven't seen Catwoman but the basketball scene is enough for me to know all I need about its quality.

First it was Oceans 12 and now Fantastic 4, the movies that SS is being compared against in recent pages make me think that the movie DCU is completely hosed. I think Wonder Woman will tank because of the reaction to BvS and SS, and depending on how far they have got with the other movies, I reckon Warner Bros will be done with it all. They should cut loose all the JL stuff including the spin-offs and go with a solo Affleck Batman movie that touches none of the other characters.

The worst thing is, all the superhero movies are starting to fatigue me.

Amazing Spider Man 1&2
Avengers 2
Thor 2
X-Men Apocalypse
MoS
BvS
SS
Fantastic 4

Thats a non-chronological list (in rough order of increasing disappointment) of super hero movies that are bad. Going further back you can add Spider Man 3 and Iron Man 2 to that list.

Ironically its been the stuff that looked worse on paper beforehand that has been better eg GotG, Deadpool.

If Dr Strange turns out poo poo (please Cytorak let it not), the superhero genre may have already peaked and be on a steep decline.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
For content I will just say that its a good thing Natalie Portman is done with MCU, because she and her character sucked. Like so bad that I question whether Portman was ever a decent actress, even in Black Swan.

My real post is that the previous two pages of this thread deserve to get this thread shut down for good. Holy gently caress...

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been kinda lukewarm on the Marvel Netflix stuff to be honest. Daredevil season 1 was ok, but I can't get into season 2 at all. Took me three tries to get through Jessica Jones because I kept getting bored.

I would probably have given up on JJ except for Kilgrave/Tenant who was awesome. I also am not really looking forward to DD3 or JJ2, I really think there's enough suitable Marvel heroes to have at most 1, maybe two seasons before leaving them and moving onto another hero.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Dinklage is a decent actor who is weirdly overrated because of his stature and the wankfest over GoT. In fact nearly all the "fan favourite actors" (Sophie Turner, who nearly killed the X-Men franchise single-handedly, and Kit Harrington who makes Orlando Bloom look like Daniel Day Lewis) from GoT are loving tragic which is probably what makes a mediocre Dinklage seem great. The best thing Dinklage ever did by far was his role in Elf.

I say this as someone who loves GoT btw. But I would have zero problems if they randomly recast both Jon Snow and Sansa.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I absolutely hated the latter Brosnan Bond movies (Die Another Day is easily the worst Bond movie of all and maybe is a top 10 worst movie of all time for me) but I really really like the idea of casting him as something so different from his usual.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Interesting reading quite a few of the posts pouring scorn on the WW rumours. Its EXACTLY the same scenario as pre-BvS. Wake up and realise WB hasn't a loving clue what they are doing and that they will have killed the DC movie franchise by 2018. I actually think there's a danger they can bring other poo poo down with them, I'm starting to get a little jaded about Marvel's stuff now having been a big fanboi for nearly 10 years.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Two posts on previous page mentioning how the trailer spoiled an aspect of Logan. I stopped watching trailers (except when actually in the theatre and I can't avoid it) since the one for World War Z basically contained the entire movie and I haven't regretted it one bit since. I think it made a massive different to my enjoyment of Logan because I thought Patrick Stewart only had a cameo and I also had no idea what to expect of the girl. My hunch just before she first went to town on the goons was that she was going to be some sort of telepath.

Logan might not be the best "comic-book movie" but I'd argue its a better movie than nearly every other movie containing superheros.

Edit: New page

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Imagine 10-15 years ago telling anyone that one day a Spiderman movie would be leaning desperately on Iron Man.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I can't think of a movie or role that wouldn't be better with Tom Hardy so good news.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
We live in a world where I (and I'm sure others) do not give a gently caress about Spiderman or Superman movies but instead are hyped for stuff like Black Panther, Thor and even Venom. Imagine saying that 10 years ago.

But honestly, this Spiderman movie could not have me less enthused. I am much more excited at what a Tom Hardy Venom movie looks like. I'm starting to get superhero-fatigue and need something different.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

HBO is in discussions with Damon Lindelof about doing a Watchmen TV show. While I do think it would make for a better series/miniseries than a film, Lindelof is not who you want on that

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

Perfectly fine with this provided they bring Jeffrey Dean Morgan back as The Comedian.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Jackie Earle Haley as Carnage is too obvious right?

Also that FF pitch is one of the stupidest things I have read this year. And this year I read a conspiracy theory that Avril Lavigne died 10 years ago and was replaced by a look-alike.

FF doesn't need some miracle to work. Are you telling me they can make 2 good Guardians of the Galaxy movies but not FF? its not rocket science, all they need is a good script and cast, the fundamentals of FF could be made to work if a Guardians of the Galaxy movie can work.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

I personally hate the planet of the Apes, and find the concept deeply revolting. It's like that song in Simpsons, except not ironic. I hate apes, monkeys, and primates in general, and the very idea that our society would be overthrown by those smelly cretins is offensive.

I don't even like POTA but this is a loving insane post.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think we need Doom breaking the fourth wall Frank Underwood style. And we might even need Kevin Spacey playing him (actually Michael Shannon for dem eyes).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I hope this isn't unreasonable but can we put trailer content in spoiler tags? I stopped watching trailers and reading detailed reviews of movies years ago because they give away too much of the movie but just from reading this thread I now know Mjolnir is getting broke in Ragnarok.

I avoid the thread when a movie gets released until I can see it but I don't want to avoid it completely when trailers are released.

PS
Do yourselves a favour and stop watching trailers - my enjoyment of movies is much higher now AND I don't have preconceptions (positive or negative) of a movie before I go in.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Saw Dr Strange in the cinema and liked it, not loved it. But rewatched it last weekend on TV and have to say of all the Marvel movies its the one I improved my opinion of most upon a rewatch. The end encounter with Dormammu, and also the backwards time stuff in the preceeding fight, was amazing and the fight in the NY sanctum with the cloak was also very good. Plus the Mister Doctor exchange as mentioned was hilarious. The Inception style fights are great because superhero fight-fatigue is a thing and it needs something wildly different to keep it interesting eg its one thing Thor 2 deserves props for by having the portals.

I also thought the supporting cast (except the wasted Rachel McAdams) were great and my only complaint is not enough Mads Mikkelson and the fact he now can't be used for a bigger role (eg Dr Doom).

Another problem is a bit like the comics, Dr Strange is really too OP and I don't know how he is going to fit in with the other heroes. I guess they will dial back on the Eye of Agamotto thing at least.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Don't know much about Cable but that looks drat good.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The guy is still the best part of those movies so I don't really much care if he got the nerd tat or not. It's asking a whole loving lot of an actor to also basically be a stuntman.

Plus he did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMpQsjhEbo

Actually no he loving isn't. What he and/or the writers did with Gimli's character, ie turning him into a slaptstick comic relief, was the worst thing in the whole trilogy.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

How do you feel about Tom Bombadil.

Leaving that out was the best thing in the whole trilogy.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
There is definately a disconnect between how this thread regards DC vs Marvel, and how "ordinary" people (here in Ireland at least) look at it. In my experience outside this thread, no one gives a gently caress about any DC property except Batman. Superman is regarded as boring because hes too powerful, and maybe too American. And very very few people, even among my nerdy circles have heard much about Justice League.

Marvel is on a completely different scale to DC over here. Whether thats a thread thing, or a US thing, I don't know.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Steady thread, steady...

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
When you think about it, nearly all of the climatic battles in comic-book movies are let-downs. There has or had been a trend of trying to out-do themselves for some years but its pretty hard to know where to go from here in terms of spectacle. I think thats why some movies had success by trying unusual stuff. eg I thought the final battles in Thor 2 (and the rest of the movie was pretty poor), Ant-Man and especially Dr Strange were all decent because they were gimmicky and fun instead of watching the characters smash their toys together in a CGI-fest like Age of Ultron, BvS and WW. Its a very difficult problem to solve. After the original Avengers climatic battle, there was very little room to go upwards in terms of spectacle. I'll be surprised if Ragnarok can pull it off to be honest.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Aidan Gillen (who played Little Finger in GoT) would be my pick for Sinister

The only problem is that Aidan Gillen, like most of the GoT cast, is a loving terrible actor.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Actually tbh I was overly harsh on the GoT cast (I am a big fan, read all the books and have watched the whole series). But because of its popularity some of its cast are getting roles they have no business getting based on their ability. (I am going to use character names because lazy).

Sansa is particularly bad and she should never have got the X-Men role. Jon is also poor although I would say he is the one actor who has improved the most during the show. Gillen is bad 90% of the time.

The actor's who are best in the show were established before it: Tyrion, Cersei (although she was brutally bad in Season 1), and my personal favourite Jamie Lannister.

The best actor in it who I had never seen before is probably Theon.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

No matter how many times I see it, it still blows my mind to see Batman just raining bullets on a whole bunch of random mooks. If you put a skull on that tank, it would just be The Punisher. It makes me wonder why he even bothers with anything but that. Under what circumstances is a batarang more effective than a bullet?

I'm sure this analysis has been done before but perhaps the brooding non-lethal Batman of the 1960's was as edgy for that time as the sociopathic Punisher was in the 90's.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Amazing 1 is alrightish, Amazing 2 is an insane fever dream. Homecoming is fantastic, Raimi 1 is alright but poorly aged, Raimi 2 is great, Raimi 3 is garbage.

This should go in the OP, maybe even the title.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I saw JL last night and here's a bit of an effort post. Keep in mind that I am mostly a Marvel "fan" in that the only DC comics I have ever read are solo Batman stories that occasionally had appearances from Superman or Robin. Before this movie I never heard of Cyborg, and before Gadot I only knew WW from the Lynda Carter TV show. Aquaman I would have guessed was a Namor rip-off and the Flash was just DC's Quicksilver (I realise it may be the other way around).

Firstly, I rewatched BvS on Saturday and actually liked it more than I remember when I first saw it in the theatre, but I never hated the movie. The biggest problem is their CGI, whoever they are using needs to be replaced. Cast wise, I really don't see how they can improve on the major actors. Caville for me is the best Superman since Reeve. I like Affleck as Batman more than Bale in both movies despite the fact that Nolan's movies are obviously much better. Its hard to see anyone else playing WW now too. So I really don't think any of the problems with these movies are in the casting which is a pity because the cast will be the first ones to pay the price.

JL...its no where near as bad as as the general vibe.

Negatives.
The worst things are Aquaman, who feels like a pointless relic from the silver age of comics and has no business in the 21st century mainstream media. Namor is/was entertaining in the comics because hes a complete rear end in a top hat but the whole theme/powerset is too ridiculous even in a world with Thor and Ant-Man.
The plot/villain are also incredibly weak but really no different from the first Avengers movie which was held up by Loki and the novelty of it all, plus superior CGI. As mentioned before, the fact that they had a troubled production for JL seems pretty clear with some of the editing but I can live with it. Caville's mustache issue is not obvious at all unless you are looking for it, and even then hardly glaring.
Casting JK Simmons as Gordon was a waste of time for how little he got. If this means we don't get him as JJJ again in Spider-man then its horrible.

Positives.
The Cyborg character & backstory/family was a lot more interesting than I would have expected.
The Flash was decent but was starting to wear a little thin on the comedy/slapstick. But as comic relief he's a totally necessary element to the movie.
Gadot was good again.
Affleck sells the worn-out Batman story very well, can't they just make TDKR with him?
I still like Caville but he's not getting any help from anyone who writes these movies.

I think the fundamental problem for me is that these characters just don't gel or belong together. As has been said, when Superman shows up he makes everyone else redundant (and for me that's always the problem with Superman). Superman is like DC's Captain America, except he's also DC's Odin/Silver Surfer and its too hard to shoehorn his power level in with other characters. I have no idea how they accomplish this in the comics. Batman also works better on his own for tonal reasons. I can imagine a world where Batman & Superman movies were their own separate things and you could bring together Flash, Cyborg, WW and whoever else (Arrow, Green Lantern? I don't know them well) for their team movie.

Overall, probably a B-. I liked Ragnarok more for sure.

One more thing about comic book movie characters in general, when you think about it the movie versions of some of these characters bear no resemblance to their source, and I'm not saying that as a criticism - it might be the key to Marvel's success because in most cases its done to bring humour into previously humourless characters:

IronMan - I read the books and can never remember Stark being the wise-cracking laid back figure that RDJ portrays but RDJ has been totally central to the building of Marvel's success. In a decade he has turned Iron Man from a B-lister into the equivalent of Spiderman, Superman and Batman culturally.
Thor - Thor has cracked more Jokes in 5 movies than in 50+ years of comic history combined. The closest we got to comic-book Thor was in the first third of the first movie. Also his power levels are massively toned down. Again, I'm not criticising because I like Hemsworth even if I would love to see a classic Simonsen-eque story/character
Ant-Man - I don't remember either Antman character from the books being anything like Paul Rudd
Captain America - this is the odd one out but to me the 3 CA movies are together better than the 3 IM or 3 Thor Movies and Chris Evans gives the best portrayal of any of the comic book characters

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

*has a flashback to Xmen Apocalypse and involuntarily shudders*

The movie was poo poo but I didn't think the Apocalypse aesthetic (or his casting) had anything to do with that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Slowly working my way through Punisher, and Jon Bernthal is SO GOOD as that character that if there's any Netflix character I'd want to see in the MCU, it would be him. Put him in the next Spider-Man movie or something.

For some reason this show is under-rated. I would rank it better than DD S1 and at least on a par with JJ (which to me was mainly held up by David Tenant). I didn't watch Luke Cage or Iron Fist, but enjoyed Defenders as well. To me Punisher S1 is probably the best of the Netflix Marvel TV shows. Most of the cast are great, I even like the principal female agent who I know others have problems with.

If I had one complaint, its that in many ways its doing another (but not the same) origin story.

Note: I am currently watching Walking Dead as well so my opinion may be skewed by how loving awful that show has become.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Jiro posted:

I find it sad they're blowing their wad on the Infinity Gems this early.

Did you just get thawed out?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Hope they don't go too crazy on the crossover stuff. Personally I would be fine with all the X-men/mutant stuff being in its own universe although I realise that's unlikely now. I wonder are there any characters in particular that would suit a Netflix series? Because to my mind 2-3 seasons of any character is enough, ie after DD season 3 they should call it quits and move on to someone else.

Fantastic Four is something I want to see done well and would like to see crossed-over, its just a pity its too late for Infinity War. In the comics, wasn't Richards one of the unlucky 50% whom Thanos wiped out at the start? Because typically Richards comes up with the solution to these problems. There's also the iconic scene in Infinity Gauntlet when Galactus and other cosmic entities attack Thanos.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty sure/hopeful that when Disney reboots X-Men they will completely reboot it with a new cast and reset the storyline & history. No need for all that baggage, and even better it gives them a way to get rid of some of both the horrible cast (eg Sophie Turner) and those that clearly cannot be arsed anymore (Lawrence).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Ok lets hear it, what does the nightmare dystopian Disney monopoly look like?

(I think its being slightly over-reacted to).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

One of my favorite GIFs is from a Spider-Man porn, mimicking the "upside down kiss" scene from SM1.... But he keeps dropping.

Edit VERY VERY NSFW https://goo.gl/images/6SMy9Q

This is amazing. Actually I was genuinely impressed by the production quality of that shot, there must be a lot of money going into these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Surely this Han Solo movie is not actually coming out until Christmas? I can't believe its coming in 4 months.

• Locked thread