Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

Some of the few negatives I've seen mentioned in some reviews actually say they wish there was more of some kind of backstory for Peter and I just sat there dumbfounded about who would want to see that again.

One page. Four panels.

Panel One: A teenage boy has a pained expression as a spider is visible on the back of his hand. Narration: Spider Bite.

Panel Two: Same teenage boy is upside down on his ceiling balancing a fifty pound hand weight on the tip of his index finger. Narration: Great Power.

Panel Three: Teenage boy in blue and red homemade wrestling outfit stands with shrugged shoulders and upturned palms while a robber runs past with a sack of money. Narration: No Responsability.

Panel Four: A dead old man with a visible bullet wound is cradled in the arms of the teeenage boy. In the background a frail old woman sobs. Narration: Parker Luck.

I would like one million dollars for my totally original idea please and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Victor makes a snide remark and Kate Mara remarks "check out Dr. Doom here." Hilarious.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Perlmutter was the fairytale foreigner who came to America penniless and became a self made billionaire. He started out in a company that sold videogames, transitioned to a company that sold toys and then became president of a company that sells comic books. He made billions selling things to children and adults with childish hobbies. So naturally a bunch of thirty somethings on the internet mad about their toys think they know more about running a business than the literal penny pinching Jew.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I think Disney knows a bit more than Ike Perlmutter.

Which is why they immediately replaced him when Disney bought Marvel.

Or at any point in the intervening eight years.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I tend not to waste tears for someone who donated one million dollars to the Trump campaign.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/marvel-trump-ike-perlmutter-donation-1201692438/

quote:

Marvel Boss Ike Perlmutter Takes Heat After Donating to Trump’s Veteran Charity

Perlmutter, a 73-year-old Israeli Army veteran who immigrated to the U.S. after the 1967 Six Day War, had previously lent support to veterans groups. And earlier this week, Marvel committed to support the Wounded Warrior Project.

Yes. What an rear end in a top hat. How dare he, a veteran, donate to a veteran's charity.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Yes, it is only ever possible to donate money to veteran's charities through Donald Trump and Perlmutter is showing no political affiliations or inclinations by donating money specifically through a Trump-based fundraiser.

Same link as before. Previous sentence.

quote:

The Perlmutter family made headlines last summer when it was reported that the Marvel boss’ wife, Laura, had donated $2 million to one of Trump’s Republican rivals, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

Rich people support republican candidates. This surprises no one.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's totally okay for Miles to take Peter's origin, name, costume and powers but it's not okay for Peter to have a chubby buddy who knows his secret

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

fruit on the bottom posted:

Iron Man 2 and Thor 1/2 are easily the three worst MCU films.

I'd take Thor 1 over Age of Ultron or Incredible Hulk.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Solution: Disney buys universal

NBC bought Vivendi Universal back in 2004.

Comcast then bought NBC Universal back in 2009.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I liked Black Panther, but a few comments:

I didn't like T'Challa taking a plane to the top of the waterfall. I know Wakanda is advanced but this traditional ceremony didn't have ancient kings hitching a ride in a helicopter in the past. Make T'Challa climb the mountain before his fight. He is ascending to the throne, you know. Plus it fits better with the ending of the Killmonger fight. He climbs the mountain before he is thrown off the waterfall.

That said, I disliked the second waterfall fight with Killmonger. We just saw this. We've already seen a waterfall fight. We've already seen the ritual sap the panther power. Movie, stop repeating yourself. Also, its the ancient power of a mythical panther god, not a light switch. Quite flicking that poo poo on and off.

Killmonger dying fits because his story was over. However, I'm not ready to say Klaw is really dead. Klaw dies without ever having a meaningful interaction with Black Panther? They set up his sonic hand to break a glass case and talk about vibranium sonic resonance, but don't do anything with the two? I wouldn't be surprised if he's the bad guy in a sequel with a new vibranium arm threatening to earthquake Wakanda to pieces. He and Bucky can be metal arm buddies.

I didn't care for Doctor Strange because it had too many sight gags and jokey jokes. I liked Ragnarok, but again less is more. Same for The Last Jedi. It was nice that Black Panther only had the one (DELETE THAT FOOTAGE.)

Despite being 2h15m it felt short. The last act felt rushed and I think rhino guy needed more time. How did he go from being friends with T'Challa in the beginning to siding with Killmonger? Again this sets up Klaw to be someone important.

With $85M on Friday its a safe bet Black Panther gets a sequel. It'd be neat to see T'Challa take over for Tony Stark as the linchpin of the MCU starting with Phase Four.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Outselling seven movies sounds good, but honestly though how many people do you think pre-ordered tickets to go see Ant-Man and Doctor Strange? The impressive part was doubling Black Panther which just set the record two months ago. We all knew this thing was going to make a ton of money, but this might actually out do Star Wars opening weekend.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't have the energy to rank nineteen movies in order. I'd put them in tiers as well.

Movies I've seen more than once and could watch again:
Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Civil War, Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Movies I'd watch if it was on, but wouldn't go out of my way to see:
The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Doctor Strange, Ragnarok

Movies I don't need to see again:
The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Dark World, Age of Ultron

Only seen once:
Black Panther, Infinity War

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The only good comic book movie based video game I've ever played was the X-Men Origins Wolverine. I went into it with zero expectations and actually enjoyed myself. The game was as good as the movie was bad.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I doubt Disney is going to scrap their chance at a movie starring a black pansexual character. Besides if Disney wants to put out a Star Wars or Star Wars adjacent film every year they're going to do a Lando movie eventually.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh man! A Silk movie! That's going to be awesome! I wonder how it's going to fit alongside Aunt May, Silver & Black and Sinister Six movies inside the Sony Cinematic Universe!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is infinity wars still in theaters?

Does that mean my prediction that black panther would outgtoes it domestically was correct?

Only because Disney was really keen on that happening. The Force Awakens hit $700M in 16 days. Avatar did it in 72 days. It took Black Panther 171 days. That last million took over nine weeks.

After 5 weeks BP was in 3834 theaters and IW was in 3768.
After 10 weeks BP 1930 and IW 890.
After 15 weeks BP 440 and IW 205.

Despite being in half as many theaters for the last two months Infinity War is only $20M behind, but it'll never hit $700M domestic.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

David D. Davidson posted:

So let's just get this somewhat back on track here?
Dream casting?
Jim Carrey as Plastic Man.

Jim Carrey is old, you old person.

Ben Schwartz from Parks and Rec as Plastic Man.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Booster Gold is a dumb gloryhound jock who has the look of a superhero, but not the heart. Blue Beetle has the heart of a hero, but struggles with his weight and self-esteem.

Grab Lord and Miller, call Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill and tell them to remake 21 Jump Street but as superheroes. The after credits could be them greenscreened into the background of all the DCEU fight scenes.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

What makes people think Jessica Chastain is Lilandra? I understand it's the Dark Phoenix story, but what specifically ties her to Lilandra?

Jean feels betrayed that Xavier locked away her painful memories which leads her to Jessica Chastain, an evil Sith Lord who tries to corrupt her to the Dark Side. Instead of Jason Wyngrade as Mastermind its actually Cassandra Nova. It would also tie it with the storyline that started X-Men Red.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

Whoa, Disney just pulled their July 2020 Marvel release from the schedule. Guess that GotG3 production delay is more indefinite than I’d thought.

https://apple.news/A3eXUc4kBSuS5wBMNegVTQQ

That list also omits the July 30th, 2021 movie. THIS IS IT BOYS! THE MCU IS UNRAVELING BEFORE OUR EYES!

GotG got a lot of screen time in Infinity War. So much so it felt as much a sequel to the Guardians franchise as the Avengers. We've already seen Star Lord get the girl and confront The Big Bad. Avengers 4b: The MCU part 22 will almost certainly resolve that story for us so the real question is do we need a GotG3? Once Thanos is dealt with that kinda takes a lot of narrative oomph out of Gamora, Nebula and Drax. Its not like they all need trilogies.

That still leaves us potentially with:

2019 - Captain Marvel, Spider-Man European Vacation and Avengers IV: The Quest For Peace
2020 - Doctor Strange 2 and Black Widow
2021 - Black Panther 2 and Eternals
2022 - Spider-Man 3, Captain Marvel 2 and New Avengers

Which follows the pattern of the last few years of one new franchise a year amid sequels. 2023 will also give the audience eight years to forget the Fant4stic Flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Proof that Star Wars fatigue is real but superhero fatigue is fake news: Venom made more money than Solo. :v:

Rotten Tomatoes for The Last Jedi
Critics: 91%
Audience: 45%

Rotten Tomatoes for Venom
Critics: 30%
Audience: 88%

Solo won't impact Episode IX but Episode VIII sure will.

• Locked thread