Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, I'm super curious to see how they intend to handle Magik in the New Mutants movie. The rest of the New Mutants are fundamentally pretty straightforward, but comic-book Magik is... not. The time traveling component of her mutant power is alone would make her a somewhat difficult character to handle from a storytelling perspective, and that's something that requires far less exposition than anything to do with Belasco/Limbo/the Soulsword/the bloodstones/the Darkchild/being a literal witch. There are a lot of ways you can deal with it, but I legitimately have no idea what movie-Magik is going be like, while I can envision the rest of the team pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

If Kamala Khan didn't have the Ms. Marvel mantle I think it'd be hard to argue she isn't completely original.

Also, how many completely original male characters has Marvel actually introduced to major acclaim in the past 20 years? Most have been quite derivative or would not clear the highly subjective "major acclaim" bar- i.e. the Sentry is about as prominent as they come (though more Superman derivative than most heroes), but you'd be hard pressed to make a case that people have been clamoring for a film featuring him or really any hero who hasn't existed for 30+ years. But that was also true of the Guardians and Ant-Man (even if the former was a team format). And if you can make those work, there's no reason you can't pick a character like Monica Rambeau, Elsa Bloodstone, or Kamala and make a good solo movie out of them. It's just a matter of getting the right creative team. And you don't even need to do this blind if you set them up in crossover films and see who resonates- i.e. nobody is talking about what a travesty it is we don't already have a solo Black Widow movie if ScarJo hadn't been killing it in a supporting role the past few years.

e:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anyways I hope that the secondary cast that doesn't have full names yet on Spider-man: Homecoming end up being some more young heroes, like just show that they got powers in a scene or two and later on in Phase 4 reveal them as Squirrel Girl, White Tiger and Wiccan
What they need to do is start introducing more super-powered villains in the background so they can have the original MCU Avengers disappear for a while and set up the Thunderbolts. It even works with introducing more female characters because Songbird and Moonstone were that team's most distinctive personalities outside of Zemo (who obviously isn't going to be in it- you'd replace him with Tom Holland's version of Norman Osborn).

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 9, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

They should shake it up and adapt either X-Factor or X-Statix imo- nobody is going to recognize the characters in either, but both give good setups for entertaining films that can be lower stakes and not rehash the same dramatic beats endlessly.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mycot posted:

I don't want anything bad happening to Hawk Family because killing off wives/families to make characters into the 'right' versions is lame as hell in comics, it's probably lame in movies too.

It's also why I hope Deadpool 2 doesn't open with Deadpool's girlfriend getting a bridge dropped on her even though there's like a 90% chance of that happening

Same. Morena Baccarin also seemed to have pretty good chemistry with Reynolds, so it'd be a real shame if they didn't keep her around. On the other hand one of Deadpool's defining traits is a tragic personal life, so I don't know that keeping him in a stable relationship was ever really in the cards. Maybe give her an approximation of Comic Book Vanessa's powers as a side effect of curing/stabilizing the Techno-Organic/Legacy Virus infection that Cable has traveled back in time to stop during the next film?

e:

Aphrodite posted:

They're doing New Mutants and X-Factor.
Oh I'd heard about New Mutants, but not X-Factor. I was pretty pumped for New Mutants, but honestly I'm wayyy more excited for X-Factor if they do it right.

e2: Wait are you sure you don't mean X-Force? Because that will be fun, but is very different from X-Factor (by which I mean the X-Factor Investigations run by Maddrox, not the super-team).

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 9, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Captain Marvel is just going to be Sex and the City but at the end she flies and punches aliens for 15 minutes.

It will bomb and Hollywood will blame women for not knowing what they want.

Combine it with the suggestion to incorporate other female heroes and just call it Marvel Divas

maybe have the first Marvel-Disney/Fox crossover be a cameo appearance by Sue Storm at a brunch where she dishes some dirt about her private life with Reed and fantasies about Namor

edit: ignoring ownership rights, how do we feel about a main brunch lineup of Jennifer Walters, Carol Danvers, Sue Storm, Monica Rambeau, Monet St. Croix, and Emma Frost?

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 10, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Too much of the X-Men mythos is too up its own butt and doesn't even acknowledge or fit well with the rest of the MU. For decades they let them be the special snowflakes, with even their own cosmic aliens and stuff that rarely interacted with everyone else's cosmic aliens.

We lose a lot of great characters but I think it's better in the end.

Well the rest of the MU doesn't acknowledge or fit well with them either- i.e. there have been a whole host of human-rights violations committed against mutants that the Avengers have been totally AWOL on. It generally works better even in the comics if you pretend both sides of the MU don't exist simultaneously unless you need them to, because to do otherwise invites a lot of "why didn't you call X for help?" questions that don't really have good answers as the X-Men/Avengers can only plausibly spend so much time off-world or in other dimensions.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

drat, I was really looking forward to seeing Snyder's take on Mister Mxyzptlk

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There are tons of people who know Robin. The key is that Robin is hard to do well when you're aiming for even slightly a realistic movie.

Like look at Civil War. Tony Stark grabbing Spider-Man is a fun moment but it trends on the side of hosed up the entire time. Everyone treats Tony as kind of weird for bringing a kid along and Tony panics and sends him home at the first sign of trouble. Spider-Man acting as a hero on his own vs Spider-Man acting as a hero at the behest of an adult presents very different images and Civil War had to work to get around that with a character who is objectively a superpowered badass only fighting guys who have no real interest in hurting him.

Now imagine Robin in the Nolanverse where he is a 14-16 year old boy with no superpowers being given a suit of armor and send to fight guys who have a moderate success rate at beating the poo poo out of ninja-trained competent Bruce Wayne. There is no time or place that wouldn't result in everyone both in-film and out-of-film calling Wayne a complete monster. Even B:TAS veers towards criticism of Bruce Wayne's wards and Tim Drake ends up ruined by the Joker in the film and is another of Batman's main failures.

Oh, you've got to do it in the comics as well now too- look at what they did to Bucky's backstory when they brought him back as the Winter Soldier to make him fighting with Captain America in World War II even remotely palatable for modern audiences.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The Hulk would actually be very high up the list. He has a fairly iconic television series and his character (and especially his catchphrase "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry") are fairly ingrained in the public consciousness. People can probably tell you more about the Hulk than they can about Wonder Woman.

The issue with Wonder Woman is figuring out what to do with her which something even the comics struggle with. A big part of it is that then expectations for Wonder Woman are high because she's an icon but she is an icon for her gender than her character. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it makes it hard to find a niche because everyone has a different idea of what that means. (And going back to their history means you veer between consensual bondage and Xena: Warrior Princess.)

If anything I think you're underselling the difficulty of translating Wonder Woman to film. Consensual bondage and Xena are/were both pretty popular, but she's got to be a Serious Icon at all times so pronounced Olympian schlock or eroticism are out even if they're inherent to the character and fairly deep wells to draw from. So you fall back on her as an icon of her gender- but what do you do with that? Sure she's a feminist, but unless you're restricting her to the very broadest of platitudes you're going to have a hard time exploring that topic without pissing people off having the Icon of Womanhood endorse the Wrong Sort of feminism. And while not having a defined personality in the public's mind can be an advantage in some cases (since you get to pick one helpful to your story), it's isn't one here because it cannot in any way contradict or undermine her status as an Icon. You can overcome this with a strong enough artistic vision, but she's a risky character to use in a way that most superheroes are not.

I hope her movie turns out well, but I think she's someone much easier to reference than directly use- i.e. I think something like Joe Keatinge/Ross Sophie Campbell's Glory would both be easier to adapt and more likely to result in a good film than Wonder Woman.

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 13, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

The problem with Rogue is the same problem with every superhero whose "power" is the ability to steal other superhero's powers (you even saw it with Sylar and Peter in Heroes, for instance). Either they break the power curve because they're just straight-up better than everybody else or it's like Rogue in the original X-Men trilogy where they're made so weak that they're basically ineffectual. It's a really binary state and thus virtually impossible to do right, and you see that even with Rogue in other media, where they sorta punt her leech powers and just make her a Generic Superhero that Also Can Do Leech Stuff when the plot demands it.

Basically what I'm saying is that the power to steal powers is a dumb power to have, cause it makes the hero either "literally everyone else, but better" or "a literal lovely copy of everybody else".

The only time I've ever seen it really work was the version of Calvin Rankin (Mimic) in the original run of Exiles, where they put clear limits on his abilities and did it in such a way that he was generally incentivized to copy powers of people who weren't his teammates and thus didn't overshadow them. He was still among the strongest people on that team, but his abilities being half-strength meant he never beat/overshadowed anyone by copying their gimmick directly, and only being able to copy 5 power sets at a time gave him versatility without just being able to deus ex machina everything or grow in power unsustainably. You always had a fairly good sense of what he could do, and while he could adapt to absorb neat new powers you knew he'd be giving up something meaningful to do it (since his mimicked powers were already good and IIRC he required prolonged exposure to mimic an ability permanently). He falls into the "lovely copy" category, but it work both because even a poor copy of the people he's copying is quite strong, and because the story puts him in circumstances where he's primarily working with people whose abilities he's not inclined to copy so as a reader you're not constantly making a direct comparison to his teammates (and judging him as either better/worse "dude who does X").

Though even here you can see the implied problem imposing certain storytelling limitations, as you've got to studiously avoid having the character have prolonged exposure to anyone whose powers would be world-breaking even at half-strength (or ensure those powers come with unpalatable side-effects). E: or anyone whose powers are overly broad even if they're not world-breaking at half-strength- i.e. meeting a non-homicidal Hyperion for a protracted period of time would beg the question of why he wouldn't choose to drop Colossus/Cyclops/whoever is giving him flight in exchange for knock-off superman powers and the ability to pick up some crazy poo poo later.

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 16, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I think he's fine.

He's also good in The Man from U.N.C.L.E, if you care to see him in something else.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a really fun movie and I'm sad that it almost certainly won't get a sequel, since stylized cold-war spy thriller/action/comedies are apparently extremely my poo poo. Cavill was a major reason I enjoyed it as much as I did, so I too am willing to attribute any perceived deficiencies in his Superman to outside circumstances rather than any limitations on his part.

And actually now that I think about it I realize I'd be more hyped for the purely theoretical sequel to that movie than any of DC's currently announced future lineup, which makes me feel weird.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 19, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, that's exactly how Hela is portrayed in the comics, down to Mephisto literally deeding her land in Hell in exchange for a zombie harem.

Man, typing all those words in sequence made me realize how much of a weird fucker Mephisto actually is.

How about the time he went on a date with Magma from the New Mutants?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

On the other hand I'm not sure what about the way the Ultimate Universe played out would make you think there was a lot of line-wide long term planning going on there

and I'm saying that as someone who liked the UU better than most I think

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Everyone wants to make that Marvel money but as WB is unpleasantly discovering, you can't just snap your fingers and do that.Although if Fantastic Beasts makes the mad cash it almost certainly will, be prepared for the Harry Potter Cinematic Universe to be their next big focus (especially if Suicide Squad's a big ol bust in the box office).

They've already greenlit a sequel to Fantastic Beasts, so yeah I think they're full steam ahead on that one

tbh I can definitely see an open ended Harry Potter Wizardverse working well, since almost everyone has strong associations and background knowledge of the brand and fictional world but it's not an IP that's burdened with ~80 years of Legacy & Iconic Characters/Stories

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

e: whoops, missed X-O's post

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 18, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Dammit, I liked Kirsten Dunst as MJ.

Maguire on the other hand... eh.

Maguire was a fantastic Peter Parker imo

really got the "this dude is a huge nerd" thing down

though some of it is definitely the attention to detail by the set designers- look for the period appropriate Magic: the Gathering posters in his room

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tarantino would be good on an obscure property no one cares much about where he can just do what he wants.

or on a more well known property if you let him do what he wants, i.e. I can definitely see him doing a very good Punisher film, possibly similar to the comics where the focus is more on people around Frank than Frank himself

that's probably little too in his normal wheelhouse though, so something like a loose adaptation of X-Statix might be better

e: or something like a lose adaptation of the Simone run on Deadpool/Agency X- really you'd want to let him pick I'd imagine

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 22, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

This is from a while back but, in a nutshell: she is too waifu for me. :v:

She's also seems like a difficult character to faithfully adapt and introduce in a 2 hour movie without either making the movie unduly focused on her insanely convoluted backstory, being confusing, or not having you care about her the way you should. There are definitely multiple ways to do it "properly," but she's a character that requires careful handling in a way no other New Mutants character does* if you don't want her drama to risk crowding out the other characters that should be getting focus in a genuine New Mutants movie.

*(An argument can probably be made for Warlock as well, but I think fundamentally his backstory poo poo is much easier to deal with/ignore as needed, though it could also be used as a basis for a complete movie.)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

site posted:

They could always just dump her backstory, marvel did it for Wanda

heck people liked negasonic in deadpool and she has no backstory and like 10 lines in the whole movie, you just gotta use her well

That's completely true and is one of the valid approaches I suggested exist, I would just posit that "surly teen who can explode in the manner her superhero name suggests" is much easier to quickly and completely convey in a cinematic manner than "girl who is weird and spooky because she spent her formative years in a hell dimension that she later took over with literal black magic and a glowing sword she made out of her soul, also she has the mutant power to freely traverse space and time, also she has pre-existing relationships with a bunch of other characters that are now weird because she changed completely in a literal instant from their perspective."

Like you can pare away or adapt parts of this to make her more manageable as a character (which the description above already does- i.e I don't think we'll be getting alternate reality Storm teaching her magic before turning into a tree), but the essence of her behavior, relationships with the New Mutants team and very broad and rather incoherent power set are very tied up in a drama-heavy series of events that need to exist as backstory or something that happens during the film (or films). In contrast, it's much easier to dump Wanda's entire backstory because it's unnecessary to get the essence of her day-to-day interactions with the other members of the Avengers right, and they also have no future plans (or legal rights) to use the characters where Wanda's backstory would be most relevant.

Also, Negasonic better be back dangit. :mad:

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

My only complaint is so incredibly personal, I just hoped at the end The kids would help Logan get across to Canada and he could die on his home soil. That and I kind of wished that they would have stuck some easter egg at the end, like have a really swole short hairy guy meet the kids., as I said personal stuff.

Honestly, I kind of think it works better with the themes of the movie that he falls just short of making it "home" himself (but in sight of it) in the course of ensuring his daughter and the other children are able to make it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Hopefully Chuck has yet another comatose twin whose body he can possess. :buddy:

Come to think of it...if this is the rewritten timeline, then maybe he hasn't already used up the first twin!

Why do that when you could come back as a super-stacked asian lady ninja?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

imagine transferring your brain to a svelte hottie when youre a foul mouthed geriatric

Heinlin's (very weird) last novel is based on almost exactly that premise- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Fear_No_Evil

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I'd argue that if your trying to create a franchise you do.

Indiana Jones movie, the main character is Indiana Jones. They aren't using the movie to also make you love short round and go watch his flick.

The whole premise of superhero team up flicks is watch superheroes you like interact with one another. The movie going audience has the benefit of knowing the personality and traits of the character. Now a superhero team up movie has to establish the character of the new character while also sharing the spotlight with a bunch of other guys.

Yeah, I'd agree- team movies without set-up can and often do work just fine. Mystery Men and Guardians of the Galaxy are great superhero movies featuring totally unknown characters, the first X-Men movie and the reboot with First Class were fine, and there are plenty of well-received ensemble films that can provide inspiration- any good heist film, war films like The Great Escape, etc. And in many of those cases people's enjoyment is absolutely built on enjoying the interaction of the various characters without lots of prior knowledge. It's just that these are all either designed as self-contained affairs, or with the intent that their sequels would be equally team-based. You don't have time to do anything but paint characters in fairly broad strokes, and audiences associate the characters with the initial team context- i.e. if I liked Ocean's Eleven I'll probably be interested in Ocean's Twelve, but I'd be considerably more dubious about hypothetical solo Danny Ocean and Rusty Ryan spin-off films.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I hear "superhero that sucks" I pretty much always think "aquaman"

its really funny how much lamer than Namor he always comes across as, even (especially?) when they try to make him Namor

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I think you're probably right, but I can't help but think that a huge factor is rushing straight for JL without establishing the other characters first. Say what you want about Marvel being formulaic, but the formula sure as poo poo worked for Avengers because everyone knew the characters going in (aside from Hawkeye who was not only introduced in one of the least-liked Phase 1 movies, but didn't have a big part in it either like Widow got in IM2). You can't build hype for Aquaman or Cyborg when your audience doesn't really know them or their deal going in. So Justice League starts with a Batman that not that many people even liked, Wonder Woman, a dead Superman, and the promise that there'll be some new guys and they'll be totally cool we swear. Oh yeah and Avengers had a villain people knew from previous films too, as opposed to... a guy no one knows. Maybe DC/WB had so much faith that their characters were more recognizable to the public (and I guess maaayyybe Aquaman is? but not in a good way) that they didn't need to build interest in other characters, but they were clearly wrong.

Really though I can't figure out whether DC is trying to do Justice League first before movies for Aquaman or Cyborg is because they're trying to prove that DC does what Nintendon't doesn't copy the Marvel formula because don't even need it :nyd: or whether it was totally just a run for the money where they figured just the promise of any superhero team with Batman would get asses in seats gently caress who's on the team who cares.

Nah, I don't think this sentiment really holds up. Avengers clearly saw substantial benefit by being proceeded by well-received films, and it's probably a lot easier to do Avengers numbers if you've got that going for you, but you absolutely don't need it to have a hugely commercially successful film- there are all sorts of successful ensemble movies demonstrating otherwise, and in a world where a Justice League film was not preceded by anything (or just, say, MoS) it's extremely easy to envision it doing spectacularly. You can see this pretty clearly if you just look at BvS- all people really had to go on was a Superman movie that many were ambivalent about, but it still was widely anticipated and had a hugely successful opening weekend (which might have been even more successful if audiences had liked it), while introducing most of the "important" Justice League characters. If it had actually been well-received there's very little reason to think that, while it might not have quite done Avengers numbers, it couldn't have made substantially more than it ultimately did and gotten the DC cinematic universe off to a great start by giving subsequent movies featuring its characters a positive association.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

With Sue, Jean, and Storm locked away until recently who would be the next big female name in Marvel? Jessica Drew?

Squirrel Girl

it’s not even really a joke anymore

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

site posted:

When odinson is wrecked by thanos in iw2, the paramedic who tries to treat his wounds, jan foster, reaches for the hammer

what hammer?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

quote:

Then he gave the hammer to Thor, and said that Thor might smite as hard as he desired, whatsoever might be before him, and the hammer would not fail; and if he threw it at anything, it would never miss, and never fly so far as not to return to his hand; and if be desired, he might keep it in his sark, it was so small; but indeed it was a flaw in the hammer that the fore-haft was somewhat short

oh dear

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Tatum is still a horrible choice for Gambit. I could see him as Cyclops though.

Cyclops is the straight man (in multiple senses), I think Tatum has enough comic chops that he should be used differently

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

e: gently caress I missed the moratorium post, irrelevant SW stuff deleted

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Will I, a man of no comic-book-background knowlege, think the jokes in "DeadPool Two" are funny? Or are they all references to comic book artists who cant draw feet

They definitely made a feature-length action comedy that is entirely dependent on the audiences' knowledge of inside-baseball comics stuff

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Deadpool 2 definitely fridges Vanessa but makes up for it by fixing the timeline

eh, altering the timeline wasn't really necessary to "make up for it" since even after her death Vanessa remained present in the film as a distinct character, and moving her to be a stand-in for the character of Death is far from the worst way of handling things moving forward if you're trying to keep the film character broadly consistent with the comics regarding things like all of his relationships being doomed and his continued existence a torment

that said, as someone who liked the alternate takes on the characters in the first movie and was really hoping Vanessa would stay alive/be used well in any sequels I'm quite happy it was one of the things they fixed in the post-credits

e: I'm also pretty sure it's not "fridging" in the original sense as Vanessa is not treated as disposable and her death isn't used as a primary source of motivation for the hero to engage in a conflict with an antagonist, or even to directly motivate the hero to engage in a certain course of action/lifestyle- her murderer is disposed of in the same scene/doesn't tie directly into the broader plot, and while her death and the depressive spiral Wade enters definitely heavily informs and affects his later actions, it's also not the primary motivation behind his decision to go all-out in saving Russell

"fridging" definitely prompted a productive broader discussion about how female characters are treated in comics (and related media) and what DP2 does with Vanessa as a character absolutely fits into that discussion, but I don't know that "fridging" remains a useful term if it's broadened to encompass any time a woman dies in a story

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 29, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I do like Gunn and respect him a lot, but I think it’s worth noting that when people say that these tweets are a decade old, that means he made them in his 40s. It’s not quite the same as a 15 year old thinking edgy stuff is cool

sure but they were also made when he was working as a Troma director, a job that pretty much requires a transgressive outlook/behavior, and they're the child molestation equivalents of dead baby jokes - extremely tasteless and something I wouldn't fault anybody for wanting to avoid being around or associating with, but ultimately not actually harmful to anyone or particularly indicative of character - I honestly am much more skeptical of the sort of person who is clutching pearls at the notion that someone who made such a joke wouldn't be immediately shunned and who is equating tastelessness with things like actual sexual assault

the thing about the tweets being decades old isn't that he was so young and tender he couldn't have possibly known better, it's that they're not actually new information about him, so the ostensibly family friendly company suddenly dropping him because some jackass feigned moral outrage for unrelated reasons is a little different than if they'd never hired him in the first place or if he'd made those comments while in their employ

he's going to be fine, but Disney are being dumb assholes

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 20, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it’s meant to be that Witcher’s themselves are repulsive by nature to most people. Like if an otherwise really good looking dude was wearing a MAGA hat

not really, my understanding is that they often look/smell somewhat off because of the mutagens (and Geralt got off unusually light except for the white hair), but they're mostly socially disfavored because their actual job in society is "wandering exterminator" and they're potentially threatening to the local political and social power structures of xenophobic mud-spattered hamlets by virtue of being well-traveled sterile superhumans capable of tremendous violence

handy to have around if you've got a monster problem, but otherwise not particularly welcome to the powers that be (partially because they're so tempting to bone)

either way, Geralt definitely fucks

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

catlord posted:

While Holdo not telling anybody the plan was pretty dumb, it's also not uncommon in movies and I don't see Tony in Homecoming getting anywhere near the same vitriol as she does. Frankly, the movie's biggest problem is that the pacing is all over the place.

you might note that Homecoming takes the position that Tony hosed up and goes out of its way to show that while Tony was being a bad absentee surrogate father-figure he was also closely monitoring what Peter was up to and took his opinions seriously, whereas TLJ treats Holdo's insane expectations of unquestioning-duty-until-death in service of an obviously terrible plan as correct

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Holdo kept her plan secret for the obvious reason of the moment someone found out about the plan they leaked it, which lead to the plan failing when someone revealed it to the Empire.

Edit: Excuse me, the First Order, legally distinct from the Empire.

keeping a secret plan secret obviously makes sense, but thats different from continuously saying "trust me" while your fleet loses crew and material, disclosing no information to make people think you have a plan, and failing at leadership so badly that (non-Poe) members of your own command staff mutiny because they don't know whats going on and by all appearances you're leading them straight to their deaths

it was only "leaked" because large portions of remaining Rebellion were trying to work around their completely uncommunicative and uninspiring command structure

this is further exacerbated by the "secret plan" being farcically terrible and obvious/unworkable even by very generous saturday-morning-cartoon logic standards - i.e. the movie takes a very "blame Poe!" standpoint but Holdo's plan would have had the same result if any First Order ship bothered to press the "scan" button, any random First Order crewman had looked out the window, or any First Order commander had said "hey, maybe we should investigate that planet the Rebel fleet has been flying directly toward for the last few days of slow pursuit"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Arist posted:

you seem bad at watching movies

I understand what the movie wants to convey, I'm just saying that due to incompetence it thoroughly undermines its intended message (which I should reiterate is terrible)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fangz posted:

By large portions, you mean Poe, Finn, and Rose.
Poe was the only one of those three there when Holdo and her staff were relieved of command at gunpoint by a group of pilots and junior staff

Arist posted:

Nah

e: gently caress it, I'll bite: what's the "terrible" message being conveyed here, lol

you should unquestioning trust authority figures because they know better than you, even when they give you no reason to believe that's the case, the evidence suggests otherwise, and they refuse to explain or justify themselves

that's the extremely obvious message of that entire subplot

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 9, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. The film does not say "trust authority figures without question" and certainly not in the *exact same film where they point out the Resistance is buying weapons from war merchants.*

it absolutely does

the fact that this is contradictory doesn't mean much since this is the same film where Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself because "love will save the day" and killing yourself can't possibly be the solution a few minutes after Holdo suicide bombs the First Order fleet

Arist posted:

That's not the lesson. You're really bad at watching movies.

Poe's entire arc is about accepting that in this situation he can't be the reckless hero because there's always a cost to that poo poo, but he presses on anyway because he doesn't like or trust Holdo for bullshit reasons.

quote:

The entire point is that Poe demanded to be told things after being proven himself untrustworthy and viewed things as "I'm the right hero who is always right" (with the meta-text of 'because that's how it works in these kind of films') only for it in fact to turn out to be entirely wrong. Their one in a million desperate effort didn't help, the charming rogue they met in a prison cell turned out to be more interested in profit than having a heart of gold, and Poe disliking being given orders turned out to be because he was an arrogant hothead, not because the orders were wrong.
that is the intended message - what the movie actually says is something else again - Poe doesn't come across as an attempted Big drat Hero learning he shouldn't do that, he comes across as an audience/crew surrogate who is trying to solve problems and is unreasonably frozen out

a. His demotion actually makes very little sense and doesn't feel earned - Holdo and Leia (and the film) treat him as if he was wrong, but he isn't actually ever shown to be wrong or reckless and several details of the film contradict this interpretation. The bombers clearly weren't launched on his authority and were already in the air as part of a plan to take on the NO fleet, the plan had actually been entirely successful to the point that Leia decides to peace-out, its entirely unclear how the bombers would possibly be recalled/saved if they were as slow/vulnerable as shown, and nobody ever contradicts the notion that the dreadnought is a legitimate "fleet killer" in a film where the rebel fleet then spends the rest of the movie getting the poo poo pounded out of it in a slow-speed chase.

b. After the briefing he makes request to know what's going on, offers relevant information he'd know as commander of their fighter wing (with an implicit offer to help), something that is perfectly reasonable under the circumstances and given his role (even with the demotion). Holdo brushes his information/offer off, and tells him to shut the gently caress up, go away, and follow orders (she clearly has no interest in what Poe/others have to offer in terms of alternate suggestions/plans, which is why the comically inappropriate Finn and Rose go on a spy mission). As time goes on it becomes clear the fleet is taking severe losses and Poe is not the only one completely cut out of any sort of information loop and rapidly losing faith in the command structure. Indeed it gets so bad that the crew stages a mutiny that feels entirely justified to the audience for reasons that have nothing to do with assuaging Poe's ego or need to be the Big drat Hero. You're supposed to feel bad because it turns out Holdo did have a plan all along, but this is undermined by the plan being both obviously terrible on its face and in no way requiring the utter lack of communication Holdo engages in to be successful.

the movie clearly wants you to think Poe was dangerous/reckless/wrong and tells you that is the case, but it does a really piss poor job actually showing him to be dangerous, reckless or wrong, with what appears on screen often contradicting that message - so you end up with a movie where those in command of the rebellion are demonstrably uninterested in soliciting helpful advice during a crisis situation, fail completely at leadership during that same crisis situation, and pursue a terrible plan, and then at the end the audience is told that the demonstrably awful plan put forward by these people would have succeeded if only everyone had simply sat down, shut up, and obeyed without question

there's definitely a message there, but its not a good one

TLJ is a bad movie

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Arist posted:

jesus christ dude

you literally asked for it

• Locked thread