Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The previews don't list the leader's agendas, but Well of Souls gets them from somewhere:

Raven Banner (Matthias Corvinus): Levies troops from city-states. Likes civilizations that also use city-state troops, dislikes those that shun such mercenaries.
Kaitiakitanga (Kupe): Kupe watches everyone's chops, national park/woods additions and CO2 emissions. Treat the planet well (or at least better than your neighbors) and he will like you.
Canadian Expeditionary Force (Wilfrid Laurier): Likes civs who also respond to emergencies, dislikes those who don't participate.

Introducing Venice: they hate civs that settle multiple cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kalko posted:

I remember reading back during Civ 5 that increasing the game length has a dampening effect on the AI for some reason (I guess it doesn't know how to deal with the increased costs) and I assume the same is true in Civ 6, so Immortal/Epic feels just right to me in that you can choose to do interesting (aka suboptimal) things some of the time and still have a good chance of winning.

I believe the official Goon Hivemind answer is that longer games magnify the importance of war, as individual units move around and gain experience "faster" than at the normal speeds. Naturally this helps the player, who is smarter about keeping units alive and using them effectively.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A lady of the court has heard that the Tokyo Bay Fortress is currently in Tokyo.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fuligin posted:

i'm normally a IV boi but I feel like putting some time into V. Are there any fun or 'fun' big overhaul mods, or recommended sets of mod civs?

The No Quitters mod is intended for multiplayer balance, but I find a lot of the changes-- to fix underpowered civs and trap social policy trees-- also improve the SP experience too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Banning negative chat generally doesn't cause an increase in positive chat.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO it all comes back to the AI being bad. The player can simply choose between going tall and wide, because the AI can't stop them from going wide. The player can simply choose their preferred victory type, and it's very rare for them to have to change course to respond to an AI, unless it's someone super OP like Korea. I like playing chill zen garden Civ sometimes, but it shouldn't be the only option available.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Amethyst posted:

Play Civ IV on deity.

I thought we were just talking about VI

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I saw a deal, and grabbed this and the expansions.

As someone coming in with mild Civ 5 experience... any tips before I boot it up for the first time? (Tomorrow. About to head to bed.)

-You're allowed to build tons of cities now.
-Melee units are pretty good against cities now, especially before they get walls.
-Cities need housing and amenities (local happiness) to grow. Farm spam is over; each city should have, like, a couple of farms, ideally in a big clump (they get adjacency bonuses).
-Religious victory sucks, because AIs get tons of free faith, and they never get bored. Consider disabling it, after a little while at least.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Defenestration posted:

hi civ friends I'm 6000 posts behind and still playing vanilla 6 but the steam sale is upon us and I want to upgrade. It won't let me buy the gold pack except as a gift though?

What should I buy? I don't care about scenarios but I do want some expansions.

I DO NOT OWN EITHER EXPANSION, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that it works like this:

If you buy Rise & Fall, you'll get its mechanics, plus about ten civs.
If you buy Gathering Storm, you'll get its mechanics plus all the R&F mechanics (but not the civs or scenarios from R&F).
All the civ packs are according to individual choice. They all came out between the initial release and R&F, and they all use the base game's mechanics.
And yeah, the Gold Pack is everything except for Gathering Storm, the latest part.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm getting this extremely frustrating bug. Started a new game, and two other civs on my continent declare war in the classical era. No big deal, they're far away, and I can protect myself. After a couple turns, one of them becomes suzerain of a city-state on my borders. I want to take this CS anyway, so I begin an invasion. Then, three turns later, all my units get booted out of the CS's borders. I get a message that Hojo Tokimune-- me-- has made peace with them, and I'm locked into peace for ten turns. I wait for the ten turns to expire, and then declare war on the CS, and invade again. A few turns afterwards, it happens again-- this city-state unilaterally declares it won't be a part of the war I declared on it, and quits.

Is there some mod that fixes this? I was planning on doing a conquest game, and I can't really do that if the game can turn wars off whenever it wants.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Fingers crossed they won't bring over the single-player simultaneous turns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Humankind: Someone Else's Civilization V

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PaybackJack posted:

I think it's kind of nice that just giving the AI an impressively strong army doesn't mean they just don't go automatically conquer everything in sight. The combat AI is exploitable but it's not broken because it doesn't just roll over everything with its single death robot. Similarly, the fact that the AI is given a dozen nukes shouldn't necessitate it using them even if they're about to lose. I'd hope that even our real world leaders are smart enough to realize that dropping some nukes out of spite because you're losing is a lovely thing to do.

And gently caress anyone still clinging onto 1UPT being the death of the franchise.

What a weird post

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Marenghi posted:

Saw this one sale, is it any use?

I played Civ5 and thought it lacked any challenge. The AI couldn't handle one unit per hex and was too easy to outmaneuver.
Did they improve on that?

No, it's worse. They improved on the game in a bunch of ways-- you can go wide again, you can focus on conquest without getting overly punished, the districts system is great, there's a bunch of really cool niche pics wrt civs and wonders and natural wonders-- but the AI is fuckawful. It basically just can't play the game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They mean production. Civs IV and V used hammers; VI replaced the icon with a cog.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pewdiepie posted:

That build order sucks and would lose against 90% of players.

What's that got to do with it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Changing your policies works the same in MP as in SP, but the notification that prompts you to do it is removed. You just have to pay attention to the side-icons, and notice whenever you finish a social tech. Or you can pay some gold to change them whenever, of course.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Prince is the "fair" difficulty; below that and the player gets big advantages, above that and the AIs do. Early on, your priorities are scouting out the map, settling the best nearby land, and founding a religion. I usually start by building a scout or two, unless it's an island map of course. Scouting out terrain early can give you snowballing advantages from goody huts and meeting city-states. Ranged units are kind of OP, especially against the AI; just build a bunch of archers and keep them upgraded, and you should be able to defend yourself, unless you get completely eclipsed in tech.

Early on, the most important thing for cities is housing, which is dictated by access to water. Try to build on rivers or lakes, or on the coast if you can't get fresh water. Once you unlock aqueducts (fairly early), you can also get the fresh water benefits while being 1 tile away from the river or lake, or from a mountain, so you don't have to build directly on those features if you're willing to forgo a little early growth. Try to build your cities on land with a mix of flat land (for food) and rough land (for production). Also, try to build near mountains, as they buff your holy sites and science districts. If you don't have any mountains, you can also get buffs from natural wonders, forests, and jungles, but those are weaker.

At this point I should talk about which wonders are key and which aren't, but I don't play this game enough to remember, and a lot of them have really wordy, detailed descriptions which don't stick around in my mind. A really nice one for China is the Pyramids, which give all your workers an extra charge. In planning out your districts, you can gain a lot of efficiency by sharing districts. Certain ones, like the industrial quarter and the festival square, apply some of their bonuses to all cities within 6 tiles, so try to locate them centrally. IIRC, district adjancency bonuses kick in the instant you start construction on the district, so you can order a city to build an industrial zone in the midst of a bunch of mines, and the district's own construction will be sped up by the adjacency bonus, even though it's unfinished.

There's a lot of nuance in the tech tree that you can only learn by playing; the feudalism civic gives all your workers +2 charges; there's an early-game tech that gives all your farms +1 food per 2 adjacent farms (so try to build them in triangles); the Enlightenment civic gives you a social policy that doubles the output of all your dedicated science buildings. You should also pay close attention to the Suzerain bonuses of the city-states; some of them are good enough to plan a whole game around, though you can't guarantee which ones will appear in a given game.

RE religion: build a holy site or two, and eventually they'll give you enough Great Prophet points that you'll get one for free. (Or, you can buy one for faith or money). Be warned that religions are limited: whatever the number of players is only half-plus-one religions can be founded (so 5 in an 8-player game). Once the religion is founded, it will slowly spread across the world passively, but you can speed it up massively by making missionaries (must be bought, using faith, in towns with holy sites). Later, you unlock apostles, which are super-missionaries that can also "fight" other religious units (without declaring war), or be spent to enhance the religion by adding new traits.

Make sure to play around with the map lenses in the bottom left: there's a lot of good information in them.

You can make friends with the AI, but be aware they'll betray you in a heartbeat and never face any consequences for it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my experience, "a bit closer than you'd think" is the optimal distance, although obviously that's based on my own instincts. In Civ V, the optimal play was to grow every city as big as possible, so you wanted minimal overlap. Here, city populations tend to be lower, and the field effects encourage density. The district adjacency bonuses also do this. You can get good mileage out of a solid block of districts from different cities. If you only have a few mountains in your empire, there's benefit in clustering the holy sites/campuses of multiple districts there, or putting multiple holy sites around a big natural wonder, or building a couple of theatre districts around a central wonder. I mentioned before that farms should be set up in triangles-- the triangles still work when their tiles belong to different towns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Definitely pick Online speed, or whatever the fastest one is called. For map size, I would recommend you pick one a size smaller than what's intended for your playercount. I know it's not Civ V anymore, and you're supposed to have a big empire, but even taking that into account I find the maps in this a little too expansive.

When I've played this in MP, usually with 3-5 people, the biggest balance problem is starting positions. Not so much having great/crap starts-- we often restart until everyone has an okay one-- but how close together everyone is. Often, a game will start with one player off on their own, and the rest clustered, so that one player gets huge. I don't really have an ironclad way to fix this (other than the mirror/snowflake maps, and I don't think there's a 3-player one). You could either go for a too-small map, so everyone's in each other's face, or a too-big one, so everyone has room to peacefully expand until the late-game showdown.

I would recommend against putting AIs in, as it advantages anyone who starts near them, as they have access to a cheap supply of cities and XP. But honestly, that comes down to the temperament of the group.

Can't go wrong with Pangaea.

Edit: if you do end up doing a 3-player game, without AIs, consider disabling the religious victory condition. It's quite easy to get in those circumstances, and if one player rushes a religion there's very little the others can do to defend themselves.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The last time I played singleplayer, one of the AIs rang me up during the AI turn to ask "Why don't you ever have anything to say?". I know it was probably just a comment about culture output, or my lack of diplomatic proposals, but I like to think he was confused why I wasn't spamming the other players with snippy little messages.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You're gonna learn about Early Empire ahead of schedule.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's here. It's pretty slow, at the moment.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Epic exclusivity typically lasts a year. The publishers never make a big point out of it, but it's happened very consistently so far.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
1. Correct, GS contains all the R&F mechanics, but not the civs or leaders.
2. Eh. There's a lot more going on, and the game is more interesting and lively during peacetime than previously. The AI still sucks, and barely seems aware of the new mechanics. I only play multi at this point; I can't recommend it if you're only interested in SP.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The "Terra" map type is designed to do that

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
And we'll fill our vacant ranks with a million free-men more,
Shouting the battle-cry of freeeeedom

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
When the game first released, someone went through and googled "[name] quote" for a bunch of the techs and civics. The top result was almost always the one used in the game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The resource icons don't bother me so much - I mean it's a bunch of bananas, the picture just has to be clean and legible, I feel like tracing the first google result for "bananas" is a reasonable way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fister Roboto posted:

My #1 wish for Civ 7 is to not have diplomatic messages force themselves onto my screen with no warning. Just put it in a notice on the side with all the others so I can read it at my leisure. No I don't need Norway yelling at me for having a lovely navy every other turn when I'm completely landlocked.

God, I had this one game on a map with no oceans, where Harald would call me (and every AI, presumably) to whine, every 30 turns like clockwork. At one point, I was moving an Infantry across my empire, and its path happened to take it over a lake. Immediately - during the middle of my turn - he called me up to congratulate me on taking my navy seriously.