Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That was before they started trying to be tasteful.

Actually, the bigger problem for Indira is that they're making unique traits based on the era the leader lived in.

They're probably going to go with somebody from the Mughal empire or something like that to get fun stuff like war elephants, super canons, and funky rocketry stuff.

A war-like Indian leader would be a really cool way to turn the usual Civilization trope on its head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A buddy got me this game and so far the new district system plus Civ5-style hexes and systems is a weird and wonderful hybrid between Civ1-3 "flood the world with cities, what the gently caress is specialization" and Civ4-onwards "actually pay attention to what your cities can do". I'm liking it a lot, though I'm still learning idiosyncrasies about district positioning and how they factor into your development.

I have some questions though: I like how Farms can be used to boost your housing in the earlier eras (both historic and cool to look at), and generally I've tried to follow the rule of growing your cities up to your amenities limit. However, since it feels like being just one pop away from your soft cap already hits you with a big growth penalty (probably wrong, but it sure does feel like it), how much food per turn do you guys usually push towards in order to balance a good growth rate and production/science/whatever?

Second question: I'm really liking Trajan right now with his ability to instantly establish road networks and monuments as he expands. I actually prefer building tall, but since this game isn't really about tall play in the form of massive cities, I've instead used it mainly to quickly build a network of cities in order to feed Rome with a lot of internal trade routes. That said, I've wondered just how far to space cities between each other since Aqueduct/Bath availability seems to be a major factor when it comes to whether a city can actually grow massive. What do you guys recommend? I've generally settled for 4 hexes for cities that can't access Aqueducts/Baths, while going the full 6 for cities that can.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice, guys! Especially you, Roland Jones; since you confirmed that being one short of the housing cap cripples your growth, I've been a fair bit more aggressive with builders and it's been helping.

My current game had me all alone on my continent and I can pretty much win it now since I've locked it all down. Unfortunately, I didn't know that districts were capped through population, so I got carried away with building both commercial hubs and harbors everywhere. It seems that a population-heavy playstyle is better off with harbors through the lighthouse, so I suppose next run I should pick one or the other. Meanwhile, apart from the mandatory trade district, it seems that going industrial district, then either campus or entertainment depending on how lucky one gets with luxuries is a good game plan for Trajan since internal trade and his free monuments go a long way towards ensuring cultural parity.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's the reasonable number of cities to stop at, whether you're playing wide or "tall"? I've turned my slice of the world into Roman metropolis central and can keep pushing for a science victory while still being able to pump out legions at a frightening rate. I'm basically secure against one flank while the other is a bunch of city states (probably shouldn't conquer as it is the Modern Age), and there's still room for some settling. I'm sitting at 8 cities right now, and I heard that district costs start getting bad past that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

District cost is based on tech level. But every single district helps and there's no penalty for putting them up.

The idea of civ6 is if you see an open plot of land or an unclaimed resource you better settle on it asap. 50 cities doesn't hurt you, except that there's no build queue and your turns will take forever.

Oh whoops, guess I assumed wrong. Well, between the mountain range separating me from the rest of the world and my ability pump out units, even 8 cities won me that King game through Romans In Space. Everyone hated me anyway since I was in the lead and not particularly friendly to everyone else, but it's something to keep in mind for next game.

Overall I'm kinda liking the district system, though for my next game I probably should start learning how to micromanage better. My biggest problem was letting Rainforest tiles sit way too long (2f2p isn't as good as it seems) instead of chopping them to rush districts. I also should probably think about how I use my trade routes better; internal trade routes become monstrous eventually but I usually ended up assigning them as boosters for my non-capital cities (using the capital), with everything in excess going the opposite way and boosting my capital in turn. One city of mine barely had food to grow by the end and could've used two or more traders helping it out.

Now I'm hankering to try an Australia game since my biggest pet peeve is useless tiles and they seem built to alleviate that. Probably ought to do so anyway; Trajan Rome's abilities are so good that I didn't even have to think about building Theater districts nor road planning at all, and that'll probably be a bad habit to develop.

EDIT: Also I was overthinking district planning; I was under the impression it was supposed to be Endless Legend-esque chains of districts but it turns out it's just easy stuff like Mountains + Campuses, Rivers/City Center/Commercial Hub/Harbor, and Mines/Hills/Quarries + Industrial Zones. I guess other civilizations have more complex chains thanks to their unique stuff but this works well enough at my level of play.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 1, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The jump from King to Emperor is a real motherfucker, huh? I don't think I'm confident enough to do it with anyone apart from Rome or Australia.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've won three King games since I got this during the bundle so yeah, you have to be doing something terribly wrong.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Serephina posted:

edit; removed Endless Legend Derail.

So, help a newbie out who's only just bought this game: What the hell am I doing wrong that all my cities seem like huge shitholes that take a million years to get make anything? I've been settling next to resources, but I think this is the wrong priority and maybe I should be trying to settle near chop-able things instead? I'm not going to bother finishing my first game as Trajan; Industrial districts just unlocked and I cried to see how long it would take to build one in my capital, much less new settlements.

Internal trade routes from the low production city to other cities of yours, save and chop forests or jungles for production boosts on your Industrial (or even Commercial/Harbor) districts, get some mines (or lumbermills on forests by rivers) up. Production is the most valuable yield for most of the game and Industrial districts are probably your most valuable investment. Also, you might want your cities to max out on productive tiles (mined hills, resources, and whatnot) first before even letting them grow to their housing/amenities softcap.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

5 likely also got a huge boost in sales because it was the first to do the 1UPT system. Then 6 failed to actually improve the biggest weakness of the system (AI) and word got out. 5's presentation was also amazing, gently caress look at the UI.

Still kinda bitter about people not giving the art deco stylings of Civ V props. It was clean and stylish, and mods could easily adapt the aesthetic through "realistic" 3d models but art deco 2d icons and whatnot.

Civ 6 becoming more cartoony is nice because civ leaders got a lot more expressive and unique, but man did Civ V have style.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The AI being what it is sucks, but I love the district system and want it moving forward.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, I'll have to disagree and say that launch Civ V was a real trash heap of a game and was the first one to put me off pre-orders. It took me until the tail-end of BNW until I thought, hell, let's see what's up with this and it was awesome.

Civ 6 at least got me to finish three games with it, and that's just vanilla.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cythereal posted:

My favorite bit of CtP was the tile improvement system. You have a resource for your empire called Public Works, and spend that resource to build tile improvements anywhere in your empire rather than relying on a unit to do it. Cities passively generated a small amount of Public Works, but you could also have them Build Infrastructure to turn their production output into Public Works.

I can't believe that Activision of all studios solved the fiddliness of Settlers/Workers making tile improvements, and also how Firaxis completely ignored it for multiple games. Taking ideas from other studios is totally fine!!!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, if FFH2 is impressive to you guys, y'all should see Master of Mana. A mod of a mod of a mod. It might be the most impressive modding effort I've ever seen in my life, and I played a lot of Civ 4 and Doom.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I wasn't a big fan of master of mana, has a new version come out or something? When I last played, it seemed unfinished, the spells weren't very good or weren't implemented. Also I didn't like the way that they changed the tile improvements.

The mod seems dead now, the last version came out in mid 2017 if you can remember the last time you played it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Where's the place to get Master of Mana nowadays? Their web site appears to be gone.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/master-of-mana-xtended.542512/ I still keep this bookmarked in the hope that esvath comes back to keep working on it, haha.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's been a long while so bear with me if I'm wrong:

Fall from Heaven 1 was a fantasy mod for Civ 4, FFH2 was a more developed and substantial evolution of that mod with its whole grimdark fantasy world and religions and etc.

FFH2 eventually sprouted off multiple mods based of it and its universe, like Fall Further (and Fall Further Plus, then Rise from Erebus), Orbis, and notably, Wildmana. Wildmana eventually became Master of Mana, and the reason why I'm a big fan of it is that it adds so many new mechanics like resource stockpiles a la Colonization, city specializations that have a major effect on how cities generate resources and what role they play in your empire, and most importantly, a magic system that operates like Master of Magic/Age of Wonders spell system, instead of piggybacking off units and promotions.

It's a hell of an evolutionary path.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Thanks!

I've downloaded it and the extended stuff but I'm not sure how to install it. The installer puts it in c:\mods\master of mana - should I be redirecting this to my Civ4 installation?

Umm, yes, I think so. More precisely, the BTS mod folder inside the main game directory and BTS directory. It should have its own subfolder inside it. Failing that, try using the mods folder inside My Documents.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

I got it in the mods folder inside My Documents, and it shows up in Mods in Civ4 BTS, but I get about a billion XML errors with stuff like 'Tag: SPELLRESEARCH_HOPE in info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: xml/Units/Civ4Manaschoolinfos.xml'. It goes on for a while. I had to close the program in Task Manager.

Man, I forgot how hard it was to get mods to work before the days of Steam integration. I'll have to take another look at it later. I probably installed the original Master of Mana wrong somehow.

Yeah, I think in this case you'll want it in the actual game directory, inside the BTS subfolder.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On a related note, that auto-tuned singing in the Atomic Era Zulu theme is absolutely loving amazing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

hubris.height posted:

is civ vi still getting updated

nah

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really dug Australia's unique abilities too. Outback Stations are rad as hell, gimme all the food and production.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Liking how the civs in this expack are going with the theme of making good use of "bad" terrain.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

turboraton posted:

Feels like reading this thread

:drat:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't get why they don't try a fantasy Civ game for once. The Warhammer mods have always been huge for the more medieval Total War games, and lo and behold, the Total Warhammers are CA's most successful games.

Bear in mind it took years (maybe decades) to convince Games Workshop to let CA do something with their Fantasy franchise, keyword Fantasy because they were a lot more blase with their 40K license.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hi, I've been trying to get back into Civ again since my Gamepass Humankind installation nuked itself while updating and I can't download 28gb on this connection until next month. I played an Emperor game with good ole Trajan (won Scientific with him before and I just dig his ease of use) and due to neglecting to actually push my Legion advantage whenever I could, I was bunkering down for most of the game. At the end, while the Incas were living it up with nanotechnology and space lasers, I was barely getting into WW2 tech. That said, I managed to scam my way into a Diplomatic victory and locking down most of the city-states.

That said, apart from not being aggressive enough, I want to learn how to be more efficient with how I plan districts out, especially since river flooding, volcanoes, and rising sea levels are a thing now. After that one game, I've got a bunch of rules in my head now:

- Try to avoid putting districts or whatever on floodplains and tiles right beside a volcano. Keep them open for yields.
- Repairing broken poo poo takes turns and can't be bought with gold, so do the above and also always builds dams. Remember that dams give adjacency bonuses to Industrial Zones.
- Try not to build districts on the lowest seaside tiles that'll get submerged by rising sea levels; it feels like global warming comes super fast and the first level of permanent sinking is near unavoidable if you got developed AI rivals that won't cut down their CO2, even if you will.

Apart from that, I've always gone gold/science/production-heavy in all my King wins (Germany, Australia, Rome) so I've pretty much never built Holy Sites and only build the culture and entertainment districts when I'm out of districts I prefer to build. This has definitely felt like a developmental mistake, especially if I can't rely on Trajan's free monuments to keep culture flowing, or if I ever want to win a Religious or Cultural victory. Additionally, I also never chopped resources or forests/jungles at all until this Emperor game, where it was pretty much necessary to stop early aggression with walls. All in all, I'm pretty much a non-optimal Civ player.

But anyway, I still have a specific question to ask the thread since it'll be the way I can refine my gameplay and make my games run so much smoother: when you first build a district, what is your preferred adjacency bonus minimum? A video I watched about district strategies recommended to go for 3+ at minimum, and since early game decisions on what, when, and where to build stuff are the most important, would you agree with this sentiment? I'm asking because I want to break out of my comfort zone and win a cultural victory for once; I'm eyeing America (no New Frontier Pass) as my pick since his combat strength on home continent bonus looks very good for establishing dominance, as well as learning how to manage appeal and figure out national parks for the victory.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers, guys, I really appreciate it.

I have two more, if you don't mind:

1) Production is king and all but I'm trying to wean myself off IZ spam everywhere, and part of this is learning what a "good tile" is. I understand this to be basically any tile whose yields total up to 4+ (less emphasis on food since it gets capped quickly), with the golden early game standard being 2f/2p. Is this correct? This is especially important because it's relevant to getting early wonders up and running, which I've never managed to pull off, even in understandable cases like competing with China.

2) Tourism is a weird mechanic; from what I understand of it, in combination with America's focus on national parks and etc., is it actually possible to run few to no Theater districts in early-mid game as America, and then explode into the scene with your national parks and Film Studios come Modern era? This is definitely not optimal since you want Great Works anyway, but is it a plausible strategy if you want to use your earlier district slots for science/gold/production instead?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rad, that's good to hear, I'll try to make a early-aggro/build-up mid and late game work with America. Thanks all!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks all for the advice, finally got that American cultural victory! It was fun watching my tourism just go into overdrive the moment I hit Conservation, Radio, and Flight, as well as watching the 13k or so faith I banked quickly get depleted as I spammed national parks everywhere. People weren't kidding when they said it was going to cost a lot of faith, and it's weird because if anything I may have been better off not going on the offensive with religious conversion at all.

That said, Work Ethic was such a killer belief, and thanks to that one Great Scientist, I managed to build a Holy Site by a natural wonder that had 14 science, production, and faith in adjacencies bonuses around medieval era, which just absolutely supercharged my economy. It was so impressively powerful that now I think I'll try for a Religious victory with Arabia now, since maintaining a science lead is still imperative.

BTW, do you guys always maximize chops with Magnus? The transfer time makes microing him around kind of a pain, and I feel like I should just go for Pingala or whoever ASAP instead of spending a title on Magnus and waiting to get his chop bonus everytime.

EDIT: In addition, what's with the deforestation effect on CO2 levels? Since I was playing cultural Teddy, I mostly avoided chopping woods (got rid of rainforests and jungles tho) and even went on a reforestation campaign for kicks once I got Conservation. I even avoided making power plants entirely, with my only real CO2 output coming from railroads. Despite all that, my CO2 production was still getting a +50% handicap for deforestation. Is climate change this sensitive, or is the AI also just chopping like crazy?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 12, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There seems to be a legit bug with deforestation rates, if anything, so if that's still happening up to now then I might as well keep using Magnus and just not giving a poo poo about preserving forests unless I need the appeal lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sorry to double post but I have a question: if you wipe out all rival civs on your continent before meeting others on another continent (basically lock down your continent during the Classical/Medieval eras), do you still gain grievances once you meet civs on the other continent? I'm wondering how to play an aggressive Rome game on high difficulty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got it, thank you very much!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Some of the changes in Civs Expanded are definitely batshit OP (lmao USA and Germany) but I like it a lot nonetheless, I like civilization bonuses being so strong you lean on them hard instead of them just complementing your playstyle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You want to roll over a neighbor or two early anyway as Rome, but especially in higher difficulties you'll probably have to conquer your rear end in a top hat neighbors because they'll expand so much and just be constant pricks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was talking with a friend and yeah, the appeal bonus sounds stronger than I assume if you factor in Preserves + floodplain resource gains + Egypt's immunity to flood damage, the first of which I admittedly have not used at all but I was told are pretty legit if you build for them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What I hope they'll take from Humankind is Jack loving poo poo. That game sucks, and it's funny how it was positioned as a civ killer when the only thing it killed was Amplitude's streak for creating interesting, if not balanced, 4x games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I only have three real complaints with Civ 6: 1) the religious war needs to go, managing all those missionaries and apostles and poo poo is extremely tedious and boring; 2) they never should've gotten rid of puppeting conquered cities, which was the same mistake AoW Planetfall made. I went for a conquest victory once in Civ 6 and my brain got numbed so bad by all the new construction prompts from conquered cities that I just razed them en masse if I had enough of a tech lead to piss off the entire world. Just pay me and take care of your own poo poo, drat.

And lastly, just make district projects requeue themselves or be infinite in duration, stop prompting me for new construction every time they finish. We also already had that in previous games.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 19, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah it would be nice if the Religious Victory was removed, just use the Passive Religion mode from the Advanced Options mod and keep everything else, it would become a system to distribute bonuses (and could still be used to get mood and AI behaviour modifiers!)

drat, you got a link? I deffo want to use this next run

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cheers and thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alpha Centauri as a game was insanely imbalanced and easily broken. If they can pull Brian Reynolds out of mobile game hell, he'd be better off as a creative lead alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is a crime that public works was never used outside of the Activision civ-likes

Also Civ 6 districts own, way better than the city sprawl in Endless Legend TBH