Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Apparently Aspyr accidentally let the cat DLC out of the bag before 2K/Firaxis were ready to disclose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Fhqwhgads posted:

The Maori are supposed to start on the ocean, right? Are they supposed to start on the ocean 100% of the time? I just installed Gathering Storm, loaded up my very first game (Maori, Archipelago, Standard Size, King) and I'm nowhere near water.

Not quite what I was expecting, really but I'll take it I guess?

Edit: Oh wait, I have Yet (not) Another Map Pack installed, but I thought I chose the standard archipelago map. Maybe I hosed it up?

It sure sounds like start bias was disabled, which the vanilla scripts don't have.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Clarste posted:

Um... the people who wrote the Bible aren't "the ancients" in question any more than a modern person is. They're about as historically removed from the invention of Animal Husbandry as we are from them, if not more. The way this series has previously engaged in exactly that sort of mindless glorification of history while simultaneously not understanding it at all strikes me as even worse than the snarky quotes, personally.

This is Colonialism: The Game. Of course it's going to mindlessly glorify history without understanding any of it. Civ6's snark is just a new take on a long-standing tradition, frankly.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah the fog of war is pretty and a neat concept but I don't think it works all that well.

chaosapiant posted:

I really liked Civ V's "clouds" motif. I also just like the old school "poo poo is black if you ain't been there" motif as well. Civ 6's being an actual map is a really good idea on paper. I wonder if a mod could do something like change the map or fog of war areas color/tinting to make it stand out more. It's a very minor complaint.

Old-style 'dimming' fog of war

Old-style 'dimming' fog of war with clouds for unexplored territory (butwhy.jpg)

Better contrast on Civ6's fog of war

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I really don't like the unit upgrade nerf; upgrading units already costs a lot as you go up the tree. Fix the AI to keep units close to home and encourage them to upgrade when able, instead of making it even more obnoxious to keep old units around.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
IV's take on religion was really dumb.

Religion in Civ in general has been handled pretty badly, though, and it shouldn't be a victory type anyhow because it's not conceptually distinct enough from culture.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

John F Bennett posted:

I'm not sure if the patches were also released separately outside of the expansions? I would get GS anyway, it really makes the game.

The patches mention when they affect the base game, so they apply universally.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

jojoinnit posted:

This is a game I mute and listen to podcasts to, I've never heard the music. I'll have to change that.

Kinda the issue with that plan is that you're almost never going to hear the amazing soundtrack in its fullness due to how the game selects the tracks to play.

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat-sounding gimmick, it's just not a practical one. Give me Civ5's system back.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

John F Bennett posted:

I would actually like this. The tiles being known from the start makes it too gamey.

hmm yes because plants are definitely only ever able to grow in this exact spot for all time

and animals are completely incapable of moving around or thriving outside of this exact spot for all time

it is a game. it is allowed to do counterfactual things for the sake of being a game. that includes warning players about potential risks so they're not surprised later.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There are two major AI issues:

1. it has to spend all movement points of all units, period.

2. It cannot commit to any decisions, unlike a human player.

The second issue is the biggest one, and it informs all of the behaviour we've seen. Lack of improvements, aimless wandering of AI units, inability to capture cities, ...

The agenda system could've done a lot to help focus the AI, but the current implementation mostly seems to affect diplomacy rather than informing the majority of the AI's decision-making as a player's agenda would.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
New Frontier Pass Steam page.

Also, an update landed even on macOS.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Looks like 2K/Firaxis actually are trying to make an effort to have the new packs released across all (PC) platforms simultaneously; the Linux and macOS ports landed the first pack today, though cross-platform play is still a work in progress.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TorakFade posted:

Hmmm. Is it fun to play a true start map of either Europe or the World? What's a good civ for either? I bet Australia and America are great for World because of lessened competition?

Australia, maybe; they only have the Maori and Indonesia to worry about. America potentially has the Cree, Maya, Aztecs, Mapuche, Inca, Canada, Gran Colombia, and Brazil to contend with, plus any workshop civs you decide to add. And the Maori can of course choose to head to the Americas instead of remaining around Australia.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Taear posted:

It does baffle me that there's no option to just turn off Spies. At least for me they add absolutely nothing to the game, I never use them myself because they're busywork and the AI goes mad with them because it can.

No Spies mod

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

homullus posted:

If you could tell which society a leader was in just by looking, it wouldn't be a secret society anymore.

But you can tell from looking at the diplomacy screen...

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Look, we all know this AI needs a handicap to be competitive. That's what the difficulty setting's about. The whole point of a handicap is to level the playing field. Stop complaining about it or write your own goddamn AI that doesn't need one.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ded posted:

Babylon + dramatic ages + secret societies is going to be so crazy.

Babylon + tech/civic shuffle will be 🍿.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Like, picking which civs you'll encounter in a game? Because that's been in there since release, in the exact same spot it was in 5, I'm pretty sure.

Picking civs you don't want to encounter.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also vox does not works with the linux version, irrc

Until and unless someone builds its DLLs on Linux or macOS, it will not be compatible with Linux or macOS, correct.

As frustrating as it is for VI's SDK to not be out (still), I appreciate that I don't have to worry about whether a given mod is actually going to work on my platform.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Organic Lube User posted:

Also the creator did a racism or something.

The developers have done a lot of racisms and :biotruths:, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-platinum-edition on sale 75% for the next 80 minutes, so act fast.

e: https://www.macgamestore.com/product/11055/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI-Platinum-Edition/ is also 75% off and that sale ends in 4d, and despite the domain gives you a Steam key.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2021