Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Disgusting Coward posted:

Game will be a buggy, content-free mess on release.

3 years later it might maybe be worth buying the complete edition in a Steam sale.

This man gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koramei posted:

If it's Gorgo for Greece then who the hell is Pericles for

Shakespeare Tyre faction confirmed

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Beyond Earth did espionage much better.

It was better in concept maybe. In execution it was really bad. Maybe even worse.

gently caress intrigue levels forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AlphaKretin posted:

No one's saying it's an ideal situation but if you want to not buy games because they launch incomplete these days, I really hope you don't actually enjoy games.

E: I've had clearer statements misinterpreted before, so to clarify: you wouldn't be buying any, because games just don't launch like that any more.

Hahaha, really?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Whoever at Firaxis thought it would be a good idea to not only release this game with the same broken trade route system Beyond Earth had at launch (trade routes expire, no auto-renew, no marking of previous trade route settings), but to also apply it to counterspying, needs to just go and gently caress THEIR OWN FACE.

haha the gently caress? :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scythia is hilariously OP

:horse: domination

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Magil Zeal posted:

This, but more because you can disband units for 2 gold per cog and buy units and buildings at 4 gold per cog. And there's a policy to increase production of cavalry by 100%.

Scythia makes a killing off of building two horsemen for the price of one-half, and then disbanding them for mad monies.

goddamn this is a hot tip.

when my :horse: aren't running over everything, I can sell them for :homebrew:

always's be building :horse:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poil posted:

I'm spending half the time fighting the UI with the horrible delayed unit cycling and how hard it is to see anything when you have a settler or religious unit selected. Not to mention how grayed out every unit becomes when it's not active and WHY THE gently caress ISN'T THERE AN ALERT BUTTON SO MY UNITS WON'T JUST SIT AROUND IGNORING THE BARBS WALK AROUND THEM?!? No notification that a city can bombard either. :argh:

This poo poo and the terrible trade route UI(lack of indicator of what your last trade route was, can't set it to autorefresh) are some absolutely baffling decisions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eej posted:

There really is no way to remove districts is there? I just accidentally blocked off the only aqueduct tile with a commerce district.

Not that I have seen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Montezuma is amazing. Just spam Eagle Warriors and then snowball hard with all your free builders. And since they don't cost any maintenance, you can keep dozens of them around to beat up on city states to get free builders even in later eras.

Aztecs own :parrot:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Can you still pay the AI civs to go to war with each other? Because that was great fun in 5.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The greeks waged war on me really early on and I came out of the conflict with like eight builders, but I had nothing to build after a certain point. How many cities should I be making as Aztecs? I was sitting on three well into the Classical Era

Make all the cities. Blanket everything with cities! 3 cities in the classical era seems low.

If you see a location with fresh water, preferably a river, and some luxuries then feel free to poop out a city. Bring 2-3 builders with you to speed build the industrial district and science district(or whatever, I prefer science).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

splifyphus posted:

I have posted wrong information in the thread, which I will now rectify.

Apparently extra luxury instances do not provide amenities at all. Extra copies are for trading, just like Civ V. So I think there is an argument for going tall, and with how much district costs increase there's definitely a hard limit on how many 'good' cities you can have.

The biggest argument for tall is this: there is currently no distance modifier for chopping. That's right, you can chop poo poo in AI territory and it'll give full hammers to your nearest city. If you've gone tall, you can use the forests of the entire world to focus production where you need it - but if you're wide it'll be correspondingly more difficult to focus the extra hammers.

I can't imagine this'll stay in the game though, it's way to exploitey to be an intentional thing.

Amenities really stop being a problem once you get entertainment districts. I guess if you built like 6+ cities with 3 luxuries between them AND never traded for poo poo your citizens would be unhappy but then you can just build some districts.

Sadly going wide is still the best strat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Gorp posted:

Just wanting to know if the common populous agrees with me -
Scythia is absolutely bonkers, right? As in they were crazy to release this Civ as it is?

Her unique unit is stupid strong for the time it comes out, is self sustaining and doesn't require you to have horses.
Cavalry also gets doubled and doesn't require gunpowder. Their movement means they will get to where they need to go, if your settler starts adjacent to these people kiss your capital goodbye.

It seems like the most reliable conquest Civ in the game up until late game where "people with guns on horses" are too weak to be viable.
The early game advantage this Civ has just feels super dirty. It forces your neighbors to go full military or lose the game while you have the luxury of actually building things.

Yea Scythia is definitely a top tier civ. You will :horse: over everything. Not to mention her leader ability that gives +5 attack on damaged units and healing after you kill them.

or you can just sell all your :horse: for money.

I'd say that Scythia and Aztecs are probably the most powerful civs, just because of how great they are early game(which leads to snowballing) and they still have some stuff that is useful throughout the course of the game(Scythia's leader ability and power building districts using builder charges for the Aztecs).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Do I understand it correctly that sending a trader is the only way to share food and production between your cities even if they're neighbors?

And are trade routes only one-way in this game, so only the sender benefits? In that case if one of my cities urgently need food for instance, would I first send my trader to that city and then make it travel back? :raise:

Yea only the sender benefits. I mean there is a slot that says what the target city could receive, but it's always blank for me so :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Question; does making improvements everywhere, like mines, farms, etc. destroy unrevealed strategic resources, or if you, say, make a mine on a hill that is later revealed to have uranium does it just become a uranium mine, or you have to make a new improvement to get it or whatever? The "blanket your lands in improvements" strategy makes sense but if it wrecks your chances at strategic resources later that wouldn't be ideal.

It becomes a uranium mine. I have no idea what would happen if you built something else on it. I assume it would be destroyed.

That's not even mentioning how really loving rare the last few strategic resources are. I think there were 4-5 sources of uranium on a huge map I was playing and I would guess 10 or so each for aluminum and coal. Thank god I was suzerain with some city states that had some because I had none in my 11 city empire. :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I assume people know that barb camps can't spawn if you have sight on the map, so poo poo out a ton of warriors / scouts(no maintenance) and spread them out so that you have vision(no fog of war on any land hex) throughout your empire.

Bonus is that your lovely army will deter people from attacking you for an early era or two.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He holds the records for most 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, and 1v5 ladder victories in Civilization IV.

I have to assume this is a comp stomp otherwise :psyduck: do you lose 1v5 assuming you are part of the 5?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Polyakov posted:

It doesnt destroy them, i had some nitre pop up under a farm i had. It is also worth noting that if you build a wonder on a tile that then spawns a resource it is harvested for you. I had the great uranium mines of Big Ben in my game.

:tipshat: good stuff

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

turboraton posted:

Man those paintings were the BEST. Rip them.

Also I got a Culture win with Kongo on Emperor vs 10 players. Time to up the ante against 12.

Now that some time has passed, who do you guys think is the strongest civ overall, HRE? Pericles? Aztecs?

Aztecs, Scythia

Germans, Greeks(Pericles), Saladin

Everyone else

England or America seem to be the worst. Norway is situational.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

What makes the Aztecs good - is it the ability to basically buy districts with the worker ability?

For Scythia, is it abusing the crazy amount of gold you get from selling units?

Eagle Warriors are really strong and can be used to get free builders at the start.
Power building districts is useful all game long and let's you go wider than you normally could since their build time isn't much of a concern.
Their leader ability of having luxuries provide amenities to 6 cities rather than 4 and gaining +1 combat strength for each luxury you have improved also goes well with playing wide.
The Tlachtli is good for a unique building.

Scythia gets light cavalry spam which is just ridiculous. Horse archers are pretty good too. You can stomp all your enemies or just build them to sell.
Tomris' leader ability is really useful all game, giving you +5 against wounded units and letting whatever unit did the killing blow heal up to 50 hp.
Their unique tile improvement can be built at the start and let's you start generating faith quickly if you want to play that way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If only that guy that totally destroyed Beyond Earth had been included in the process for this

I am hype for the patch that brings Civ 6 up to Civ 5 / Beyond Earth level of functionality.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

This would explain why I feel so far behind when I haven't made any for the first 100 turns. I also still can't figure out where good places to found new cities because thinking is hard.

Rivers > Lake > on the coast >= nothing. Ideally it would be near some luxuries(or strategic resources if you need them) as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bartolimu posted:

What's that, Civilization Settlement AI, where should I send this settler?

Yes. That seems reasonable.

Take over La Venta :twisted:

then see if there is a good spot north of it. looks like there is a river up there

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

How feature complete is this game compared to civ 5+expansions. Is it a step backward in any way?

The UI is a step backward.

There are other annoying things like trade routes not autorefreshing and not showing their last destination. The spy UI is also annoying as poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

prefect posted:

There's no production queue in Civ 6, is there?

nope

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm feeling the Civ itch for the first time in years. Despite putting >1000 hours into Civ 4, Civ V never really clicked for me and I never bothered to check out Beyond Earth. I have Civ V and (I think) all of the major expansions, but I'm willing to pick up either VI or BE if it's a better experience. What's the thread consensus on the best post-Civ IV game to play right now?

Buy 5 and both expansions when they are on sale.

Wait a few patches before getting 6.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gfsincere posted:

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat for wading in here and asking this, but is this substantially better than Civ 5? I know the near universal opinion of Beyond Earth was that it sucked, but wht's the major improvements of Civ 6 over 5? I can't seem to find any clear cut reviews that talk about it.

It will be better once they patch it up. Right now I'd still recommend 5 over 6.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gfsincere posted:

Well that's disappointing to hear.

I guess I'll wait for a major patch or expansion.

It's by no means a bad game, but there are some baffling design choices like the UI, terrible diplomacy system or just lacking functionality the other games already had(trade route / spying automation, build queues, etc).

The base is there for a good game they just need to fix it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alris posted:

A diplomacy screen popped up with Trajan being a bro and offering a declaration of friendship, which I accepted.

As soon as I close the window another diplomacy screen pops us with a pissed Trajan declaring war on me, with Gilgamesh right behind.

This game is very confusing.

Sorry the AI fine as declared by IAmUnaware you big whiny baby.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Patch has some good changes, but the AI is still poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saladin Rising posted:

There's an explanation for this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5f1n33/so_i_did_some_testingobserving_and_figured_out/
TL;DR: the AI can't use bombards correctly at all, it won't attack unless it can kill one of your units, and is way too scared of losing units to actually attack, even when it could win. Barbarians don't give a gently caress and are quite happy to do suicidal attacks, thus they end up being better at war than everything else.

E: However, the AI is quite happy to go suicidal with units that don't cause war weariness, like religious units (hence the missionary spam).

Hahaha jfc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Failboattootoot posted:

I think civ 6 is pretty good. The AI being bad at attacking is fine because I don't want to attack or be attacked. The diplomacy being a weird mess doesn't matter to me either since I would just disable being contacted by leaders entirely if I could.

So what do you actually do? Play a shittier version of sim city?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CaptCommy posted:

Patch notes! http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/599374259662898714

quote:

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums)
Here's the biggest stuff:

:rip: overlapping district bonuses

Poland looks pretty cool though. Steal all the territory.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

victrix posted:

I think the AI has been lovely for decades but more people are finally veteran enough to notice it on a more regular basis :shobon:

And judging by steam victory %s, the vast majority of players are still crappy enough that they don't know, don't care, or have plenty of fun in spite of that.

The AI definitely wasn't this bad in Civ 5 or 4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also the AI will most likely end up hating you because the diplomacy system is half baked

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Michael Bayleaf posted:

So you'd say it's better than 5 with all the expansions and the like?

Not even close. It's better than vanilla civ 5, but that's not a high bar to clear.

Just play 5

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Will do, thanks! I'll wait until 6 has a good sale.

I was really hoping that civ 6 would continue the tradition of the even numbered games being incredible

It's like Alkydere said, it could be a great game with patches and expansions but it isn't there yet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KyloWinter posted:

Is this game still bad?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gort posted:

wonder how the AI will handle all these new systems