Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

StashAugustine posted:

Is it just me or does that video show chariot archers firing at range 2?

God I hope not. That plus OUPT ruined 5 for me. I love the Civ series but depending on how well the limited stacking in 6 works I'll probably end up just continuing to play 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Holy poo poo Scythia is fun early game. Get horses before another Civ gets walls and you get their cities. I stacked their Civ bonus with the +100% ancient/classical cavalry production and the -1 unit cost and cities just melt in front of you.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uPen posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an AI city without walls, maybe some lovely city state on like turn 10.

Playing on Prince the AI had three cities without walls (another Civs capital, a captured city state, and a recently founded city. Their only city with walls was their capital. The second Civ I'm invading is so far 0/2 on having walls. Could be a difficulty thing though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Did you hit the turn limit and have a lower score than France?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Naw, it's fair to bitch about just how bad the AI actually is. It is making very obvious mistakes that absolutely should have been picked up on in testing and fixed pre-release. I'm not asking for it to be perfect out of the gate or even really good, just for it to not make immediately obvious mistakes like unit cycling till death in battle, carpeting the map with obsolete units and not realizing most military units are actually military units.

Edit: And a lot of it comes down to the fact that they've never made an AI that could handle one-unit-per-tile, and they should just scrap it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cobbsprite posted:

Doomstacks are bad and worse than 1UPT by ... at least an order of magnitude. Possibly two or three.

In multiplayer yeah. In single player the AI has no idea how to use them so they drag the game down. Doomstacks aren't great but at least the AI could understand them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Periodiko posted:

I really wonder if you made every infantry unit have 3 points, and every cavalry unit have ~5 if it would be fun, stay balanced, and if the AI could cope.

I kind of want to make a mod with fast movement and stronger (earlier) unit stacking. I'm curious if stuff like that just breaks the AI though, or if it could figure out how to use it. I know nothing about Civ modding or even where to start. I wonder what you'd do to scouts, 4 movement seems a bit much for plains but who knows.

Being able to unit stack up to 3 at the get go seems like a good idea because it'll make you make a meaningful choice between having a larger, less good army or a smaller, better army. It's an OK mechanic as it stands but with the AI the way it is you hardly get any advantage out of your triple stacked units since they outclass the AI's by two eras anyway.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In old Civs there was a map option like that, guess there still is and guess you accidentally clicked it?

It's mainly used for historical maps.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Powercrazy posted:

Idea for harbor. Add this tiles yield to all water tiles.

Or at least adjacent water tiles.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the AI being so gamey definitely makes the game less interesting. I guess they're trying to simulate playing against other people but that isn't why I play Civ games and it isn't very fun, and also they're really bad at it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Elias_Maluco posted:

It does seems like a decent game, from all Ive read. But it also seems like its gonna be a lot better later, like really good, probably. And Im in no hurry

Yeah, I know. But Im in no hurry, like Ive said above. Ive only started playing Civ 5 years later, after BNW, and I dont regret it a bit waiting for it ( and I still play it often)

The mechanics are pretty good. A few need tweaking. The AI is terminally incapable of using those mechanics. I'm not sure if they'll be able to really fix that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I almost had the AI get a culture victory while I was doing a care-bear space race game. As it turns out nuking their entire poo poo into the ground is a good way to dissuade tourists from visiting a civilization.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It goes against the stupid "pretend the singleplayer is multiplayer" direction they've picked for the series, but Space/Relgiion/Tourism victories shouldn't end the game when an AI hits them. That victory option should be locked out for everyone else but the game should continue. Of course then they'd need some actual diplomatic meat to the game since nonsensical "I can't launch my spaceship if people visit your cities!" conflict is one of few drivers of diplomacy.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

prefect posted:

What's the right way to go about a domination victory? Nobody's picking a fight yet, but I'm ready to start throwing punches. For minimal bad PR, do I denounce, wait five turns, and then declare war?

How far ahead are you? How many other Civs are there? They'll all hate you for taking cities anyway so how you wardec doesn't really matter in mid-late game.

Make sure you don't accidentally hand someone a religious victory by conquering everyone else and then them converting your cities.

For the last couple Civs just capital snipe.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There should be some penalty for swapping policy cards unless you are changing governments or just unlocked that specific card on that turn.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If military units could stack on non-at war religious units the game would be a lot better.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Human Crouton posted:

I really hope Ara isn't an annoying bomb like Humankind was. Civ team really needs a competitor to give them a kick to the balls. VI is a pile of nonsense that got worse with every expansion, and I don't think their mentality is going to improve for VII.

Is that Humankind’s reputation? It has issues but I’ve played a lot of it since it came out, roughly 50:50 with Civ (though I booked a LOT of hours with Civ before then.) I thought it did a lot of things in new and interesting ways. Not all of them worked well, but I still have a lot of fun when I boot it up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Microplastics posted:

Civ but every city is simcity

And there’s also a prequel era where you actually play out being a Hunter gatherer tribe.

And we’ll extend it out to space.

Hop in boys we’re making Spore 2

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i really like how old world uses population as a way to enhance improvements rather than the way to work them. really lets you scour the earth with your builders

Old World has really made it harder for me to enjoy Civ. There is just so much that it does that makes playing more fun and I miss when I open Civ again. Units move so… painfully… slow in Civ. But I like the scope of Civ. I hope in the next Civ they steal a ton from OW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gaius Marius posted:

Old World is the best Civ like since Call to Power II. It's biggest strength is its focusing down into one smaller period and place, this is also its greatest weakness compared to Civ.

Agreed. Besides Civ it is by far my most played game in the genre. Humankind is next after that. Old World is a masterfully executed slice of history. Humankind is a gankily executed game with a massive, interesting scope. They’re both fun in their own way.