Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Two questions:

1) Where the hell is the Hall of Fame? Winning is easy enough, but the score scaling seems rather difficult. I conquer half the planet, win a domination victory and I'm...Eleanor of Aquitaine? I'd like to be able to keep track of how well I did, and I can't seem to find it in the actual game app. Is it somewhere on Steam?

2) What exactly is the relationship between culture and tourism? I understand (I think) the mechanics behind tourism, but what does culture have to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

There's no time or difficulty score multiplier to your score, either, so unless you poo poo cities over the entire map and build every wonder and--ironically enough, it's basically impossible to rate at Julius Caesar unless you're playing on Settler :v:

This is what I was wondering, too--the difficulty multiplier. It didn't seem like there was one.

Thanks for the replies.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

I picked this up again to try to knock out an English cultural victory (I had no idea architectural museums had 6 slots and auto-themed, so it felt like a no-brainer) but I might end up just doing domination. I didn't realize (or just didn't read the description) that when you take an enemy city you spawn another unit, so I just kept snowballing civs and city states because why the gently caress not? I'm not even up to Redcoats yet. It's actually kind of fun, I should pick a more domination-focused civ next time and give that a whirl.

England is an underrated Civ. On paper none of their bonuses seem that great, and there's very little synergy between them. But the auto-theming archaeological museums really crank out the tourism/culture. If you can manage to grab the great person who triples tourism from artifacts, it's game over.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Wanted to chime in and say how great the CQUI mod is. I put in a couple hundred hours without it, and now that I have 3-4 with it I don't understand how I tolerated the game without it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm sure the answer is no, but:

Does anyone have any inklings/expectations of these DLCs being included in a full expansion in the future? I haven't DL'ed any of them yet, but am tempted to get Cyrus.

5 bux each isn't much at all, but we're soon up to 20 bux for them all, and after I already paid full price for the game...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

We only need Bizantium to have Three Greeces

We already do, with Cleopatra.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Those harbor changes are great, holy poo poo.

Cities built on or near coastal tiles being significantly suboptimal seemed really weird.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

:siren:Recruiting players for a spring goon PBEM game:siren:

PC only. Once again sorry to Mac and Linux people, I just want to have at least one game that doesn't stop every time a patch comes out. (grumble grumble)

So far we have these players:
- Me (only the Aztecs DLC but willing to buy more)
- Ulvino (all DLC)
- Roland Jones (all DLC)
- Byzantine (has the Aztecs and Poland but willing to buy more)

So far I'm thinking about running this with Aztecs, Poland and probably one more DLC. (Australia? Or the new double one?)

We still have two slots open. I'm going to wait one more day. If noone else joins, I guess we can play a tiny map in four people.

I'm interested, but am curious about expected turnaround time. What is the acceptable maximum time between your turn coming up and completing it? Only ask as I work full time, am in school, and have an infant. I still manage to squeeze an hour or so on average a night in and would love to try playing against humans, but don't want to cramp anyone's style.

I have Aztecs and the new Macedon/Persia DLC, but am thinking about just getting everything anyway. I hate paying for DLC just for new city-states etc. and not the core content (Vikings scenario), but I guess them's the breaks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

Expected turnaround is about 1 turn per day. It's good to get more done but it's rare (usually it happens only during weekends when everyone's available... but that's uncommon). Sometimes the game stops for a weekend while people are away. I think most people are full-time workers so that's fine. But It would be best if you could play both in the mornings and in the evenings. Before you go to work and/or after you get back. Realistically, only one of these cases will happen per day but it's nice to have the added flexibility. For example, if a person could only play during a single two-hour window per day, that could slow the game quite a bit. That said, sometimes people take 1 hour to play their turn, sometimes it takes them 12 hours. It's OK, it averages out.

Are you from the US? I'm from Europe and my experience so far has been that I play my turns the first thing in the morning, then nothing happens for a long time and then, during my evening or night, the Americans will play their turns. I think that mostly translates into afternoon/evening turns for the Americans and morning turns for the Europeans.

I could probably ask you all about your time zones and preferred hours for playing and then arrange the player order accordingly. Let's do that. Can anyone please edit their time zones and preferred times into their posts?

I'm CET and I can my times are pretty random but I'm usually available for the large part of the day. Which means I'm available about 8:00-23:00 UTC.

Sounds great. I could do a morning and an evening turn most days, for sure.

I am central time in the U.S.

I will get all DLC after school tonight.

How do I get signed up/contacted for this?

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 29, 2017

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

:siren:The spring PBEM game is here!:siren:

Players: Me, Ulvino, Roland Jones, Byzantine, Dragongem, TipTow, Wacky Delly

Password: goonspring

We'll be running with all the DLCs except Vikings - ie. all Civilization packs.

I'm in Europe, you're all in Central or Eastern time so the turn order for you doesn't really matter. Feel free to join the game in any order. If Roland Jones, who's the only one in Pacific time, could join as the last one, that would be great. Although the time difference isn't that big to matter much so it's not a big deal if it isn't that way.

Have fun and see you in game (in couple of weeks :D))

I will join this evening when I get home and baby is put to bed.

Dumb question, do I need to turn off my Vikings DLC before joining?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For the PYDT group:

Is there a way to start a new thread? It's locked me after 3 replies for being a "new user."

Sorry about the hold up, last night PYDT bugged out and wouldn't let me upload my save. It wouldn't let me run the turn again, either, so I had to revert. It worked properly this morning.

And also sorry for spamming up this thread, but...yeah, can't post on PYDT. :geno:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Efexeye posted:

I assume the first two goon games are just dead, since no one has taken a turn in either one in weeks?

PBEM blows y'all, don't do it

I was wondering how long before you popped in again to say this.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CQUI is a fantastic mod that everyone should use. Vastly improves trade routes, among other things.

Spies are unchanged.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I only just recently noticed that it's not possible to give or receive open borders when denounced. Which is a shame. I don't really understand why?

Because you are declared enemies? There should be some kind of diplomatic punishment for pissing off a rival Civ.

Before anyone jumps all over me: yeah the AI diplo is still kinda wacky, but it is so, so much better than it used to be. It is actually feasible to make and maintain friendships/alliances.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sorry to poo poo up this thread with PYDT stuff, but I'm still locked from replying in the Spring Goon Game thread:

My father-in-law is on his deathbed, and there's a distinct possibility I'll have to fly to Indiana for the funeral soon, which may cause intermittent delays in my turns. Just a heads-up.

And congrats, markus_cz! Have fun this weekend.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm kinda sorta looking at these games as learning how to actually play Civ 6, kind of like my first 2 years of online Civ 5 PBEM were learning how to actually play Civ 5.

I'm only in the Spring game, but I have to agree. The AI (while improved) is bad enough you can be sloppy and still win. Against other people the margin for error really is zero.

Of course, only getting 1-2 turns/day means I devote considerably more time to going over and double-checking every little thing. 10-15 minutes per turn, usually.

markus_cz posted:

This sort of ridiculous.

(This is old news, so it shouldn't be much of a spoiler.)

:stare:

RJ had told me about all these, but it's another thing to see it. Jesus Christ.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

62 (64 at full health) is a pretty drat strong classical era unit.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ulvino posted:

I really hope we can get it to the end and hope we can repeat this sometime.

Agreed. The six of us seem to be pretty diligent about our turns, or staying in communication if there's going to be some kind of interruption. I was kind of hoping we'd start another game after this one--keep the group together.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Having an alliance with a religious civ is like receiving free maps of the world, so that's a thing that's nice about the missionary spam.

Interesting tactic. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

N'thing PYDT. It's been a ton of fun.

Ulvino posted:

the spring game may be on hiatus

Sorry again! As soon as I have a new motherboard we'll get this going.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Spring Goon Game Goons, I have my laptop back from the shop and taking my turn right now. So sorry for the delay!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Just noticed in a PYDT game (not a Goon one) that I am receiving zero legacy bonuses from Classical Republic--no bonus great people points at all. In fact, it explicitly says "0%," and I will earn the next percent in something like 3 millions turns.

Anybody have broken classical republics?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

The patch broke Sean Bean.

Patch broke a lot of poo poo. Almost all my government legacy bonuses are hosed. I asked about it a few posts ago, and no one responded. Really, really hope it isn't just me.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

About those online games, I'm curious....

Are there like tense nuclear standofs between superpowers? With both powers afraid of throwing the first punch?
Is there roleplaying, politics and actual diplomacy? Intrigue at the court, backstabbing and secret pacts?
Or ist just doing whatever.

I would like to hear some cool stories like that!

All of the above.

If you wanna roleplay, you can. I've been doing that in the two Goon games I'm playing. I started a third game with personal friends, and I've tried RP'ing, but a couple of them don't reciprocate. No big deal.

There is actual diplomacy, yes. Real wheeling-and-dealing. That's part of why I like the multiplayer significantly more than solo play; it completely removes the bonkers AI from the equation, and even if the AI was "good," doing good diplomacy in a game like this is basically impossible.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah okay after a long hiatus I'm gonna give IV a spin.

I burned out on IV because I got bored of the sim-ness of it. That's what I like about VI--that's it's more a game, less a sim--but now I'm tired of playing the game and want to 'sperg about whatever fictional civilization I'm building.

edit: Holy poo poo I had forgotten how much faster the load time is on IV :vince:

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 16, 2017

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

I love PBEM, in which I've recently had an amazing WWI-style trench war

And just like WWI-style trench warfare, it ground my soul into a fine dust. Nice going on bowing up the defense there.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

But now, I stopped his advance in the very last minute using tank corps, artillery corps, and a ridiculously powerful machine gun that had about 105 or 110 strength thanks to various upgrades. This was a very fun war. There was a proper, almost unmoving frontline, and we were shelling each other and trying to find an opening. It felt like WWI-style trench warfare. Thing that swung the war in my favour were, I think:
- Medics. I had two apostles with the Medic upgrade around. If my units were fortified and didn't move, they were able to heal all damage they took during the Roman turn. I'm not sure whether Rome realised I have medics because I think he kept attacking the fortified units, only for them to heal at the beginning of my turn.
- Observation balloons. Had Rome had at least one, I think he'd conquer my capital. But he didn't, which meant he had to move his artillery in the 2-hex range of my capital, which in turn meant that my artillery, hiding right behind the capital and having the range of 3, could then shell his artillery. I made a priority of killing his artillery ASAP, and I think it helped me to hold the city.

But yeah, Happy Peacetown almost fell but in the end, the communist Indian forces pushed the fascist Roman invaders out of their motherland:

I had never built even a single Aerodome or medic in my 650+ hours of Civ 6 before our game--they've never been necessary. Whoops! If/when I play multiplayer again I'll be investing in these things more heavily.

This game and war was stupid fun. Even the fascism vs. communism elements of our government made for some great dweebin' in my head.

Roland Jones posted:

Minor correction: I (Persia) don't think I ever took Lisbon, Alexander took that sometime during the process of killing me. But yeah, I really should have gone for you or Trajan instead. Lesson learned (and put to good use in Summer Goon Game). Doing a lot better in that one so far.

Guess I shouldn't have quoted Thucydides to you :geno:

Well done in the summer game, surprised and totally hosed me up. Hope London is a prize worth fighting for!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm seeing CQUI pop back up in recs here, I used to have it but one of the patches broke it (I think?) a few months back. Is it fixed now?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Let's see. In my first MP game I picked a fight with Alexander, who wasn't even my direct neighbor, instead of going for one of the two people next to me who I'd have easily crushed as I was Cyrus, because my talking with them made me feel bad about attacking them. While I actually was winning at first, I soon got destroyed, eventually dying when one of the two people I decided to not attack backstabbed me and stole my last city. That was pretty dumb.

I think your confidence that you would have "easily crushed" the legions of Rome is a bit misplaced :colbert:

And hey, considering what happened in the Autumn* goon game, I think you definitely learned your lesson. I won't be quoting Thucydides to anyone in a multiplayer game again.

*summer? I don't know. The second one we played. You know the one.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Also, I hate Magnus so much. His starting ability is amazing, but it makes harvesting/chopping without using it feel like a massive waste of resources, but my rapid expansion leaves a lot of cities that need poo poo chopped (and with the builders the ancestral hall gives I could do it right away) where I have to delay it significantly if I want to use Magnus there. I hope the upcoming patch nerfs his rear end, and in the meantime I think I'm going to try to just ignore trying to take advantage of his bullshit in every city so it doesn't bother me.

I've gone through the exact same issue myself. First few games I obsessed over maxing out Magnus' ability to my overall detriment by deliberately waiting to chop, even if I had an eligible worker sitting on that tile, for him to be established somewhere. Once I realized I was actually losing out overall because of this, I just let go and adopted the attitude of "hey, if I get to use him, great; but if not, that's okay, too."

On that note, what is everyone's (usual) first governor appointment? Lately I'm going with Liang first just to get the extra worker charge. 33% more charges in the ancient and classical eras is too good to pass up, and unlike Magnus there's no handwringing over whether I'm using her effectively enough or not.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cartoon posted:

How are people going with achievements? Is there any interest with that sideshow? I'm left with mostly the frustratingly hard ones and random ones like 100th Anniversary.

I'm right at 50%. Since 6 doesn't have a hall of fame (what the gently caress??) I've used it as a substitute. Historically, I wouldn't let myself play a Civ I had in my top 10 to encourage diversity, but since I don't have that option* I've just been going for new achievements.

*I'm pretty close to maxing out all but the random and ridiculous ones, so I'm contemplating just making a notepad file and making my own hall of fame.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DaStampede posted:

I'm in the 1500's playing standard speed on my first run through. I feel like the speed is slower than previous versions. Maybe I should try "quick" or kill off more of the AI to quicken the pace?

Standard speed is agonizing for me. My usual solo game is online speed, small map. Usually takes 6-8 hours for a full playthrough.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I will say, playing online doesn't work very well if you're playing on a large or huge map. In trying to unlock achievements I realized that since unit movement doesn't scale getting across a map before your units go obsolete in a 250-turn game was going to be pretty daunting at either of those sizes. My one large game at quick speed and huge game on standard worked just fine though I'm never doing either again

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

dy. posted:

I've been playing with the Quo mod quite a bit lately. Probably the single best feature is 'Rocket Boots' - all units generally get +1 movement with some tweaks to ranged units to balance that out. Makes a huge difference in the game.

Thanks for the rec. One of my issues with bigger maps is my kinda-lovely laptop takes forever to whirr through all the AI turns, so with more players turns take longer. But I might have to give this a whirl.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait, so you'd end up with a gleaming golden palace but with a grey, mis-shapen rock in the middle of it? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that! If you're going for a science victory, you should make an effort to get some industrial zones down for this reason, because the late-game Great Engineers can literally skyrocket you to victory by giving you thousands of free production toward space race projects.

Not only, but the science victory in general is really rather a production victory. Even with those GEs you're looking at huge city projects to complete, IZs really are necessary to get a science victory (at higher difficulties, anyway)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Haven't played in a couple years. Decided to pick it back up.

My first civ game was civ 3 and I've been maining the Romans pretty much the whole time. So imagine my surprise when i realized that I don't think I get Trajan. Is it me or are the Romans a bit boring?

I didn't really know what to with them. I went Owls cause of the the trading posts seemed like they're encouraging a big trade network. But yeah.

With instant roads and monuments when you settle cities, you just spam settlers as much as possible. Legions are quite good in the classical era if you get access to iron. Baths are insane for growth--+6 housing and an amenity in any city, an additional 2 housing if it has no fresh water, and at half the production cost. It's very flexible and you can kinda do whatever you want with it, which I do understand can be less exciting since the abilities don't really feel like they're steering you in any particular direction and can feel pretty vanilla.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

If you absolutely body the AI enough in wars, pillaging the hell out of them and killing lots of units, and getting Cities to low HP without taking them then you can get Cities traded to you in peace deals which means no grievances/warmonger accumulation. So there's also that.

I had no idea the AI would ever trade away cities. I will definitely try this out next game I fire up.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Has anyone else noticed the AI is hampered a bit by the tech/civic shuffling mode? I usually play on emperor, and seem to have a much easier time keeping up with the AI in techs and civics in the early game when the shuffler is on. In particular I'm much more likely to be able to found a religion with the mode on than I am with it off. I can only suppose the AI doesn't know how to "scout" the trees with eurekas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

Of course IV also had the HRE as a playable Civ and that's now a personal bugbear for me too: they were literally King of the Germans originally! Elected by German Dukes!

Uhhh Charlemagne was King of the Franks and anointed by the Vicar of Christ :colbert: