Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm thinking of going SFF with my next PC, purely because my current ATX tower is massive and I never use more than 1 pcie slot so it seems a huge waste of space. I'm looking at the Nano S, but I haven't seen anyone else in here talk about it. I realise it's large compared to lots of ITX cases, but is that the only reason? I don't need the absolute smallest case on earth, and things like the M1 are out of my budget, so the Nano looks good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

buffbus posted:

I almost went with a Nano S but ultimately decided on a Core 500. The main reason was GPU cooling. The Nano S puts half of the GPU about 0.5" from the top of the PSU. That is enough to make my 980ti FTW thermal throttle below its normal boost of 1400mhz. The Node 304 and Core 500 give the GPU lots of fresh air so it's only limited by power delivery. The Nano S was definitely designed with GPU watercooling in mind.

This is what I'm a bit worried about, as I have zero interest in water cooling.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Are there any big positives or negatives for the Nano S vs the Core 500? I'm torn between them and am struggling to decide.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rukus posted:

It really comes down to component spacing. The Core 500 can fit coolers 170mm in height vs the Nano S' 160mm, but the Core 500 GPU length is 310mm vs 315 from the Nano S. Both can fit 280mm AIO radiators. I'd expect the temperatures for the Core 500 to be slightly better than the Nano S, but the Nano S does feature sound dampening like its bigger brothers.

Personally I like the Core 500 as being a true "shuttle" successor, while with the Nano S there's always smaller alternatives for that form factor, or just stick to mATX since it's just a bit bigger anyway.

snuff posted:

I own the core 500. The nano is a lot bigger, and has a window if that's your thing. I really like that the core 500 has the GPU sucking air directly through the filtered sides. Do note that the PSU has to be I think 160mm max in the core 500.

Looks are subjective, my core 500 is on a shelf under my table and I'm very happy with it, fits a large be quiet! Pure rock cooler no problem.

Thanks both. I have no plans for anything other than air cooling. Windows in cases don't bother me either way, and I wouldn't pay extra for one. My psu is 160mm so that's fine. Also, I realise optical drives are dead tech but i still have one so being able to put it in the core is welcome.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
How precise are the case measurements for the Core 500? It says the max gpu length is 310mm and the card I'm eyeing up is 310mm...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

snuff posted:

I had a 308mm Sapphire R9 390 in my core 500 and the length was not an issue.

Good to know, thanks.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Before I pull the trigger on a Fractal Core 500 and ASRock Z170m motherboard, are there any new SFF cases and ITX motherboards on the horizon? I'm pretty set on that combo but if there's something else about to come out I'd like to have a look first.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

HalloKitty posted:

Mentioned it earlier, the Mini is microATX, just like the older Define Mini, not mini-ITX. For that, there's the Define Nano S already.

vv Yeah, it's not a small case, but I was just pointing out the Nano is the mini-ITX version, not the Mini. Ah, naming schemes.

It'll take mATX and mITX.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Raijintek has a new ITX case that seems to be decently ITX sized.

Whether the layout is actually any good remains to be seen.

They called it Metis? Oh dear. I guess outside of SA the name doesn't mean as much.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wow, that's incredibly low priced compared to 470s in the UK

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I almost forgot about the Core V1, here's what I'm looking at so far:

Core V1 - 22.6 liters
Fractal Design Nano S - 26.8 liters

Any other options around that size or slightly smaller with good cooling would be welcome.

Fractal Core 500?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cryorig Taku itx case on Kickstarter

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A couple of years back I was looking at building a pc in a Core 500 but ended up not pulling the trigger. I'm back to thinking about it again and am looking at cases, but it seems the Core 500 still might be the best option? Is that correct? I'm after something small but not necessarily the absolute smallest, and something that's not £200 which sadly rules out the In Win and the DA2 etc. I'm probably going to wait for the Ryzen 3s to drop so there's no rush.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Llamadeus posted:

It's mostly still the same alternatives eg the SG13B or the Cougar QBX, plus cases releasing soon that were shown off at Computex, eg the Silverstone case above or: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/coolermaster-h100-airflow-case-computex,news-60825.html

Thanks. The H100 looks like it might be good if it supports full length GPUs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

3peat posted:

A cool thing you can do with the Core 500 is to use the fan at the back for intake, put a tower cooler on the CPU but reversed, and use two fans at the top for exhaust, which would create a negative pressure airflow that would probably help a lot with GPU temps

Does the core suffer with GPU temps then? I don't remember reading about that.

The Lian Li TU150 could be interesting if the thermals aren't destroyed by the glass sides. The Evolv Shift Air might be decent too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know of detailed thermal tests for the QBD or Kaze?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

defaultluser posted:

The Core 500's stock 140mm exhaust fan is more than enough to cool a gaming system. Just not anything aggressively overclocked.

See here where it handles a i5-4690K plus GTX 980, and manages to run prime plus furmark (290w total power) without anything throttling.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page4.html

It can handle the cooling because it has well-designed air inlets. Contrary to comments above, you don't need to touch anything in the case cooling path (as long as you keep it to 6 cores or less , and no power-hog AMD cards.).

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on a 2600 or 2600x once the 3000s drop as hopefully there will be a price reduction so that fits the 6 core restriction. Still waiting for some numbers on the new Lian Li case and possibly the Evolv shift air, although that cant fit a dtx board.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ughhhh posted:

I see alot of very nice sff cases out now, but they all seem to use a sandwich layout. Is there any case that uses a traditional layout so that the following build can fit?

The reason i am posting here is that i finally finished the upgrades to my sff(ish) case and am very happy with the components. But building it made me realize that the case i have been using is getting long in the tooth and has been hacked, sawed and drilled so many times to fit parts in i dont think it can take anymore. The evga hadron case came with a specialized 500w psu, which after a year started sounding awful. So i ditched that opening up more airflow from the bottom and space for bigger gpus, but in return i needed to dremel out the hdd cage to use as psu cage for the sf600 psu i bought. Now the hdd and ssd are being held on the chassis by copious amounts of double sided tape. I know the wiring is terrible, but there is no place to route the wires so it is what it is.

I really like the size and aesthetics of the Hadron but i cant seem to find a replacement that is similar.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: EVGA - Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500 W Power Supply
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply )
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fan
Monitor: Dell - S2418NX 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Pixio - PX275h 27.0" 2560x1440 95 Hz Monitor
Headphones: SteelSeries - Siberia 800 7.1 Channel Headset

Cougar QBX or Kaze? They aren't showing on partpivker so I can't check compatibility but a quick eyeball suggests they might.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The TU150 has finally appeared on Lian Li's website but still no official release date that I can find.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

I emailed Lian Li for info and they actually gave me a straight answer, which was a nice surprise. The TU150 should be released in the UK at the "beginning of October" and will be £105, which is a little more than i'd hoped but if it performs well could be a decent purchase.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

VulgarandStupid posted:

How big is the TU150? Looks like it’s around the size of the M1 but wider to fit a 120mm Mount on the back and no way to mount the 240mm rad on the side.

375d X 203w X 312h.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know which AM4 itx boards have a front usb 3.1 gen 2 type c header?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Koesj posted:

For a Dan A4? My B450 Aorus accepts the plug and it’s supposed to work just fine. Haven’t used it yet but that’s what Dan himself says.

Lian Li TU150.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there any reason that only one of the itx/dtx x570 boards has appeared yet?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Beverly Cleavage posted:

ASRock and gigabyte both have itx offerings...

Gigabyte was the one I knew was out, but UK pcpartpicker doesn't show me any others. Maybe the ASrock range hasn't made it here yet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SO DEMANDING posted:

I'm just going to get a B450-I.

Yeah this seems the most sensible option, other than waiting for a B550 announcement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

That looks great, and the 3 looks good too if you don't need a full size gpu.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I don't mind cables sticking out of the top. The 3 would be perfect but that flex psu looks like a deal breaker.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Don't know about that q50 case but the TU150 seems to run very cool with just a single 120mm fan running as exhaust.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Node 202 and SG13 would both fit comfortably. Whether they'd fit the hardware you want is a different matter.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I missed that the Enthoo Evolv Shift Air finally released. Has anyone seen any reviews yet or know if it fixed the overheating issues of the original Shift?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Supradog posted:

I liked the design of the original one, so I've ordered one. I'll report back when I get it set up.
There won't be too hot hardware in it though, a ryzen5 2600 on an aio + gtx 1080 on air.

Thanks! I would be air cooling it if I got one. Might just plump for a TU150 though, it's pricier but fewer compromises.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Supradog posted:

I liked the design of the original one, so I've ordered one. I'll report back when I get it set up.
There won't be too hot hardware in it though, a ryzen5 2600 on an aio + gtx 1080 on air.

I found one build video in the Air, but it's not a full review of the case as such.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That looks really good. Do you have 90 degree connectors to stop the cables sticking out of the top? I really want to see some air cooled results.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Supradog posted:

It's not really needed unless you got really stiff cables or long displayport connectors. You have about 5 cm/2 inches of room. The lid also have a little give in it with that mesh filter on inside.

Now you've had it a little while, what do you think? Do you reckon I'd get away with air cooling one, and if so any suggestions for fan setups? I see it comes with 1 140mm and room for 2 more, do you think with all 3 populated it'd be ok?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Supradog posted:

I'd say it depends on the effectiveness of your air cooler + how hot a cpu/gpu you'd run. I've had no issues gaming on it with my setup. Gallery link with full size -> https://imgur.com/a/1B30DrY

Here you see the bottom space. the second fan on the bottom would be in the space near the wall by the radiator. With a thin radiator and/or a shorter than 300mm gpu you could run one rad with push pull + a side extra fan for more airflow.

The gpu side is pretty tight also with a "normal" gpu.

The individually sleeved cables on the sf600 helped.

The upper exhaust fan near the motherboard. This is where the stock 140mm fan is located. it's a tight squeeze, but I wanted a fan grill on it.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'm likely to be running a 3600 with stock cooler and a 1660 super or 5700, so nothing too toasty. Ideally I'd imagine a top fan in exhaust would be best but that's not possible so I'd have to play with various set-ups to see what worked best.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Welsper posted:

https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sv590/

What if we made an Evolv Shift Air with less stupid internals?

And charged more than twice as much whole making it subjectively uglier. What's up with the Shift Air's internals?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Welsper posted:

A shift Air is slightly larger than an SV590, yet you can't mount anything bigger than a thin 120mm rad in it due to all the places they've interrupted continuous space. Mounting the GPU with fans outward on a shift Air can also be an issue depending on GPU width due to how stingy the riser cable is (unless they've lengthened it from the original shift).

Ah right. I'm going to be air cooling so lack of rad support isn't an issue for me. GPU could be a problem but I won't be going for any monster card so hopefully it'll fit. I'll keep scouring the net for reviews too to see what hardware fits ok.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Supradog posted:

I've been looking into gpu card upgrades on my shift air.

My current card is a inno3d ichill gtx 1080 X3

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:
Length 302.2mm
Height 115.2mm
Width 2.5-slot
I'd say that is near the max you can cram into it.

Gigabytes windforce variants seem to be the cheapest that can fit into that size, with still having a good cooler.

Card size
L=286.5 W=114.5 H=50.2 mm

Their 2070super also have the same dimensions.

The card i was looking at is 29.3 x 13 x 5.5cm (xfx DD ultra 5700), which Partpicker says will fit, but your numbers suggest otherwise. Do you think it'll be ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks for that. Is there not enough room with a stock fan where you have the Noctua, or are they the same thickness? It would need 1.5cm extra either by the fan or by the PSU by the look of it.