Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You can get a cheap windows 7 key, and use that to activate windows 10, just in case anyone wants a cheap os.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

knox_harrington posted:

I'm planning on this for my thin-ITX build, do you know if a Windows 7 Pro gives a Windows 10 Pro activation

MS say yes, should work fine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've read that the thermaltake core x1 can fit a 400mm rad in the top, does anyone have any experience of this?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buffbus posted:

I have that case and have not tried a rad that big but I very much doubt it. The case is nearly a perfect cube and if you look up some pictures of it, that front fan is a 200mm and occupies much of the width. A 200x200 could probably fit on the top or front with a little custom work but not a 200x400.

How are you liking the case?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 5, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NihilCredo posted:

Then you have the Core V1, same as I do, where indeed a 400mm radiator isn't going to fit anywhere. Even to fit a 240mm you'd need to mod it (it's great for 140 or 120mm ones, though).

The Core X1 is this thing, which is much bigger. CTRL-F "radiator support" and it states that it can hold up to a 360mm radiator at the top, and up to 540mm in the front.

Yep that's it. It can fit 2 x 200mm fans at the top, but I was wondering if the additional size of the rad would be a problem. Looking at measurements for it, I think a 200 x 400mm rad should fit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Water cooling is great if you go big and overclock a lot.

For plain quiet, you can do better with air.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm impressed with the Asus z170i pro gaming board. No problems running ddr4 at 4000, it's reasonably cheap, and seems happy running my 6600k at decent clocks (4.5 right now). Plus it has 3 fan headers, and bios options to switch fans off if the systems temperature is low enough. So my box is 100% silent while idling and surfing.

The only slight fly in the ointment is the Atheros wireless card is not great.

I just used one for a mitx build intended for vr and work, and would recommend it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 25, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Coming from a sandy bridge - there's a lot of overclock options... I ended up using xmp settings to start with, with adaptive vcore. Trying normal offset it overvolted it by quite a bit but adaptive did what it was told.

It does seem very overvolt happy so watch out for auto settings, ie user agent voltage and vccio.

E- stay away from prime 95 :v: also modern BIOS 's can get off my lawn.

I had the asrock board as my number one, mostly because of the success of memory overclocks.... so I was happy to get this stable at ddr4000 so I didn't regret it(!). I did at first until I got it down. Both great boards I think.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 25, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sri.Theo posted:

You might be a bit hosed by the pound crashing, things are already increasing in price.

I'm really glad my new PC arrived a couple of days before brexit. Those stupid fuckers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've honestly never considered cutting down a graphics card to fit a case (I can understand totally removing the shroud, if its just decorative) and losing the warranty and resale value, when I could have instead chosen a different card or a fractionally larger case.

Is it really a thing?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 23, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Trip report on the core x1 - it's way too big for sff goons to like it, but it's vented enough that my CPU / psu and graphics card fans only switch on when it's loaded, and the mobo is horizontal.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scott Forstall posted:

I also really like the thermaltake core v1, but it has a window and I think windows on cases are dumb af.

Yea, it's a shame they don't sell a mesh panel to replace the window on that. I hate them too. They do sell them for some other cases.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palladium posted:

That's only if you assume most people are intelligent enough to do actual research instead of falling for the "OMG ITX it muz be gud" memetic marketing.

Even I think my 250D is pretty pointless compared to a small mATX tower case in terms of volume saved and flexibility.

I bought it because I had a mitx board in a m itx Lian li case, a 400mm rad, some 200mm fans, and a bunch of hard drives. I probably won't bother with the rad after realising how quiet good air cooling is, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

snuff posted:

My Mini-ITX build

And the actual PC under the desk (I should clean down there)

Had to get creative with my space constraints, all working out fine.

Specs are:

Intel 6600K at stock speeds, this POS CPU will not OC at all, I originally had a Fractal Design S24 AIO and it was stable at 4.1ghz but the noise was not worth it, so now I have a be quiet! PURE ROCK that is silent even under load.
ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
16gb of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz@3000mhz
Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD
ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition with a 125mhz OC on core, and 425mhz on the RAM. Usually sits at about 2ghz with boost 3.0. Blower style is great for this case since all the other components are nice and cool.
Corsair 550RMx PSU, silent, I don't think I've ever heard it turn it's fan on.
And the Fractal Design Core 500 case, really happy with it, loads of room, filtered everywhere and fits perfectly on my shelf.

I have the same board and chip. Have you tried clocking using adaptive vcore / with the UA and VCCIO set to something sensible, like 1.15 v or so?
At default, mine wouldn't clock at all either without excessive heat until I set those three voltages.
My settings for this averageish chip are 4.4Ghz, LLC level 4, adaptive voltage @ 1.28V, user agent / VCCIO @ 1.2v (for 3733 Ram).
It indicates around 1.26V vcore when loaded.

quote:

The Core V1 does have filtered intake though, it has a gigantic foam filter for the 200mm fan.
I wanted one orginally, but checking Thermaltake's store, they didn't sell a replacement mesh panel... and it didn't fit the GPU I wanted (285mm x 133mm). But so close.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cinara posted:

If anyone is using a non-modular PSU with an ITX build I feel very very sorry for them.

Oh I don't know, a non modular PSU with modded cables + extra cables removed should take up even less space.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

On modular supplies, the plugs generally take up some space. We're not talking about adding sockets + cable plugs to them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 28, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If it's at stock clocks, would be worth undervolting it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thermaltake core series maybe worth a look.
They are cheap, have reasonable to brilliant fan options, build quality is only reasonable, but they hold up well.

I like well ventilated cases.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The core v1 supports heatsinks up to 140mm in height. I'm sure there some good ones that size.

I wish they made a Core X0.5 with the same top panel radiator options but shorter.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 9, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Someone mentioned a while ago about the nzxt h200. Mine arrived today, I'm impressed with it a lot. It's a fully sick case for the money, and building in it is absolute cake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Front panel is a bastard to get off, isn't it?
Hah you put a 1080 in it. Nice.

I also used an evga supernova 850, that's passive until it draws ~420w or so, which it won't.

I like the cutout behind the motherboard, I can get to the m2 drive without pulling the board out.

I can't use it yet, lol. My 2700x doesn't arrive until Monday.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 16, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SalTheBard posted:

If I didn't have a 3.5inch 4tb HDD at the bottom of my case I would totally get some cable extensions like those. I think they are beautiful looking.

You can get braided coloured cables made for some psus, straight swap if they're modular.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Itx: removing the graphics card to reset the CMOS. (No back panel reset button sucks Asrock, you cheap bastards)

I bought 3 jumper cables and made the bios reset remote.

Heres my h200. The be quiet aio is excellent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 15, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sup! this is the h200 without RGB. I only want the Red blinkenlights of the Fury.

Motherboard temps sit at around 40C, CPU idle is 28C - about 65C loaded. This is a 2700x. It was hotter before I added the top exhaust fan with no filter. Both exhaust fans sit around 900rpm.

I'm using an EVGA P2 850 ATX Psu. Unfortunately I can't fit the tubes behind the Red vanity bar.

I'll get some short Red braided replacement PSU cables soon for it, like yours.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 27, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SalTheBard posted:

Yep! I got a coupon with my motherboard for 20% of cable mod cables.

Totally ideal for MITX.

I had to run 2 x 8 pin VGA power cables and getting them to fit was a bitch. Many cable ties gave their lives :911:
But with these, can choose the length and they're flexible.

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 18, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any recommendations for a small itx, suitable for a 2400G?

No windows or much plastic. It's for use at work. Maybe a SG13B? They're cheap and can reuse a spare Atx psu.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 28, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://www.amazon.com/WIN-150W-Mini-ITX-Black-BQ656T-AD150TB3/dp/B01LVV6WVU

This is super tiny, but won’t accommodate a pci card. Includes its own PSU.

I've been looking at those. I had an old inwin case years ago and the build quality was great. I guess reusing an old Atx psu isn't as important as size. Thank you!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thinking about building a small computer I can use in the office at work.

2400g w/ stealth cooler
Streacom F1C Evo WS Black
ASRock AMD B450 ITX
970 evo 500GB
120W nanoPSU and AC/DC adapter block (Streacom)

That look like it'll work? I've got 2x4GB of DDR4 already.

The stealth cooler is the max height that fits that case. I wonder how much clearance it has between the top of the fan and the case top panel.
I may use a Noctua low profile cooler instead.

I just want a machine I can code on with a few browser windows open and basic poo poo like FTP clients. The APU should handle basic gaming OK, for the nights I'm in a hotel.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 4, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder what the chance is of it hitting that speed. Might have less problem with flare x @c14 3200 for ryzen.

But I'd check benchmarks for that game at the chosen Res before choosing a CPU.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 5, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Streacom da2 will 100% be in my future. Looks like a really nice case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buglord posted:

The faux-Mac look of it is slick. That's probably where i'm going next, because the CPU cooler restrictions of the SG13 are being felt with my non-k i7 8700.

I'm going to put my 2700x into it, with air cooling. And a water cooled gpu with a 140mm rad, if there's enough clearance with an Atx psu.

The mounting system looks neat. Super flexible.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the best air cooler, at or below 145mm height?

Cryorig h7 plus? It's for a 2700x in a streacom da2.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I can see the Streacom DA2 has a side panel with holes... a Noctua NH-C14S might be a good fit - pulling cold air directly from the side down onto the CPU

Good call. That'll do it, ordered. Thank you!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Volguus posted:

Quick question about NZXT - H200 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case : what's with the white bar in the case? What's the purpose for it? I've seen it in a few cases, never had one myself. Is it just for show or does it have an actual practical purpose?

Bling

They're nice cases. I wish there was a mesh side panel.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It'd support it fine, it's quite well secured.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Streacom da2 review: Remove the fan filters, and it runs cool. Liberatingly easy to build in/ upgrade for a 20L case.

2700x and a U9S, MSI 2060 Gaming Z run at 60 / 65C loaded, with passive idle. Very quiet.

I love it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buglord posted:

just saw this while on instagram.

Silverstone SG14 seen at Computex '19

Unf

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

JBark posted:

I'm going to give the Hunter Duet a try pretty soon in my old Shuttle SZ77R5 case. It's about the only dual block AIO I've run across that will actually fit in a smaller case. No way it will handle high-end stuff with a massive overclock, but I'm planning on a 3700x to go with my 1070, and it should easily handle that, especially since I don't plan on overclocking.

Yeah, it's nothing fancy, fitting in my old case will scratch the modding itch I've had lately, and at $150 here in Oz, it's quite reasonably priced.

I really want to see that build.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If anyone can help me find a specific discontinued case for sale, I'd appreciate it a ton.

Cooltek w1 black no window.

Also listed as
Rosewill legacy w1
Jonsbro w1

Think there's no stock left anywhere, but goons do the impossible sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rexxed posted:

The only listing I could find that might be in stock is in Hanoi, VN. Also due to using google translate on the page I can't say if they have any for sure. I doubt they ship internationally but hey:
https://www.hanoicomputer.vn/case-jonsbo-w1-black-window-mid-tower/p17020.html

Thank you. I'll message them.