Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can someone give me a screenshot of what a good infantry division looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i managed to conquer all of mainland europe, and easily hold back the russkis but then the americans and brits kept loving with me with a thousand naval invasions. the ai cant hold them back at all, so eventually they just kept coming at every possible place until i got overwhelmed. very annoying

at least the russians still never got past the polish border

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah i had 2 armies garrisoned along my coast (24 divisions each) but i don't feel like they really handled garrison duties very well. they wouldn't shift troops to where the enemy landed so half of them would just be sitting there scratching their asses while i was busy with the eastern front. i could micro the individual invasions on my part of the land back, but guarding all the puppeted minors as well would have costed too many troops i didn't have... and that i wished they would have taken care of

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is the italian ai coded to be incompetent? cause he can’t even hold off spain while im juggling 300 russian divisions, several american landings and a random invasion by the scandinavians

i got so far into russia before his buffoonery got me killed. japan never got past mongolia either, despite owning all of china

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if it helps i just lost against poland as germany

in my defense, literally every annex decision before that had the enemy refuse so i ended up with 2 choices, facing the allies with nothing but austria conquered, or facing poland (who had formed the baltic faction). but also i'm bad at the game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

playing as the soviet union. killed the axis in 1938, which led to a super divided europe thanks to various claims. now in a 4 (5?) way war

all the factions are fighting. france has jumped factions several times now

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i asked a dev a while back about putting in the dutch and they gave me a winky face which i see as a sure sign that next update is a confirmation

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Dutch wanted to but the German glider/paradrops prevented the Dutch from doing it. Its a big part about why they fell so quickly.

the german paratroopers/gliders played almost no role in the inundations, unlesss you mean their role in ending the war earlier.

there was some small scale inundation in the may days of 1940, but dutch military incompetence and the quick loss made it not a big deal

as a side note the goals of the german paras/gliders were capturing the governement and bridges, and capturing airfields as a way to do that. capturing the government failed miserably, but they had some success with the bridges. as a whole though the airborne operations were a failure, with tons of them dying before even reaching the ground or being captured and shipped off the england. The loss of around 200 planes and 40% of their officers ended up crippling them for a while and they didn’t even manage to hold the airfields

really the way sponeck and his men got pushed around by a combination of barely trained recruits, policemen and factory workers was quite embarassing for the germans

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i suppose its too late to apply for a position focused on dutch military history...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

just had a game ruining bug. playing romania, conquered or puppeted all the little countries around me. was fighting turkey, managed to surround almost all of his armies in a little piece of land between bulgaria and istanbul. suddenly my side just capitulates for zero reason, he gets all my puppets and all my armies (at least 80 divisions) die. i was winning the war, never got a choice. wtf?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Were you running any mods?

nope! only a coloured buttons mod which i can't imagine having any impact

also apparently mexico got confirmed on stream as getting a focus tree

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i really hope they fix the performance issues a bit next patch. 4/5 times i load my late game china game it crashes and the other 1/5th it takes forever to get going and is incredibly slow after that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in my experience even at 7 forts the germans wont bother pushing through and just stare at you. you should watch out though as the focuses leaves a 1 province hole. my downfall is always the other neighbouring states, either you ally them and they inevitably get themselves killed even with help, or you don’t and one of them will stab you in the back

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just put a 72 group on the entire chinese coast (or whatever other faction im playing) and its never failed to defend. you get far enough men as china that 72 is nothing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

xanif posted:

So I am playing China with historical focus. Formed the united front with the various other China's around me and have forced an end to the war with Japan. I took the "Subjugate the Warlords" decision and some fall in line and some don't. I get a conquer objective against the ones that didn't submit but....I'm in a faction with them? And if I kick them out it's a 5 year truce? Am I wrong about that?

Also, thanks draft dodgers. I had to spend 400 political power to get you stop dodging the draft during my volunteer only recruitment policy you loving fucks.

the truce is more like a month, maybe shorter? kick them all out right away

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another easy trick for civil wars is putting your guys in the sea when it triggers, you’ll keep all of them

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's really easy if you combine it with the other exploit that allows you to bypass the Rhineland focus while you're working on the Oppose Hitler focus. You justify war goals on Poland and some other country like Austria or Lithuania, and then you'll have a shitload of XP from those wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpsQ6wgLzs Here's a video that shows how to do it real easy. He does it to Poland and Lithuania in this one, but I watched another video where the person did it to Austria. You can probably kill anybody, except for the Netherlands if you want to form the HRE. Since you need them to refuse to give back Wilhelm II. Though maybe the event still works if they are your puppet?

why does he promote 3 generals to marshals right at the start of this? its not like germany is lacking in marshals

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the germans did actually have little horses on their ju88 planes when attacking the netherlands. they died horribly

they also used horse cavalry during that invasion btw!

correction: meant ju 52

Davincie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the idea was that the ju 52s (had the wrong type earlier) would land on captured airfields and open fields loaded up with paratroopers, small artillery/at pieces (gebirgs geschütz 36, leichtes infanterie geschutz 18, pak 35/36s and various captured skoda pieces) and various other equipment. the little horses, haflinger pony's, were hung in some of the junkers on a pulley system so they could carry the artillery pieces for the airborne troops after landing. a large amount of the ju52s got shot down. a considerable amount that actually landed on airfields weren't very lucky either, as they crashed into each other on landing due to the airfields being sabotaged or simply not even being finished yet! (german forces had overestimated the dutch military in that regard) either way, the poor sods on board and their horses often died horribly. later when digging up one of the planes they apparently found the skeleton of one of the lil pony's still stuck in its pulley. probably in more of them considering how many crashed, but i only saw it mentioned in the written report of one

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tbh the boat tech tree in default hoi4 isn't very good either

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

digging the trotsky and 'crusade against atheism' focuses + how you can combine a lot of stuff into various wacky sub ideologies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looking at the focus tree comparison really makes me want another pass on the trees for the earlier dlc. i expect the majors to get one in the future for sure, but the tfv trees are both tiny and not very fun. its mostly minor tech buffs and unlocking options other nations have by default. also way less decisions of course. dod trees are generally better, but could use a little love as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chairface posted:

Tannu Tuva did nothing wrong :colbert:

Someone's gonna post some poo poo about atrocities in Tannu Tuva, aren't they? :saddowns:

mass llama murder

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, but what were the stat modifiers to peasant-neck-standing-on for the typical kulak boot? Did they have a cold acclimatization bonus? Did they provide a .0001% bonus to Organization? These are the details the game needs if we will ever have a true alt-history generator. Maybe all that post Great War Russia needed to succeed was better sock tech to succeed. Farming needs good footwear.

the people of soviet russia thanking stalin for the new footwear he got them after brutally eradicating the kulaks and turning their skins to leather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ssUHT5AqQ

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they showed a bunch in the changelog

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i meant dev diary, but here:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-america-rework.1116768/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the new focus tree shows several focuses for invading others (like everything under the war powers act) and the whole intervention mechanic. unless you mean something different

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dramicus posted:

From what I understood, the warplans are just plans that you can enact via decision that give you temporary combat bonuses against the nation in question. In terms of actually going to war, there is a new system where the US can issue protests against certain actions (Anschluss, Sudetenland, Poland, etc) and if you get three, you can try to get congress to declare war. But I think this is only for the limited intervention path of the tree, if you take the historical path, you need to wait until you get dragged in like normal.

no no i get that, i was saying that there were focuses and decisions to get into war, that don't involve the warplans

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looking at the flag of nazi germany, fascism should obviously be red

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im fairly sure the nations are like this so the game is remotely fun

that said a lot of minors (especially outside of europe) still could use some buffs in terms of resources to make the game both more historical and fun

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gort posted:

Is your notion of fun in games directly linked to the power level of Italy or something

italy is already worthless ingame, they don't really need to be downgraded to the reality of being a nation that shamelessly fields cv-33s

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk abba kovner's getting his 6 million germans seems like a good way to start some poo poo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

these trees are too stupid huge

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can do some hacky stuff with your annexation of the czechs firing off like a day after (before?) the germans and it cancels out theirs with no war or sudeten lost. i did it once. that whole chain is super luck heavy though so you’ll likely just end up frustratef

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk how you would you a leftist germany without pushing the starting date further back to either 1933 or 1934

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHuRVXj2cw

the guys behind the not very good ww1 mod are making their own map game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the danish gimmick can be losing faster than the netherlands

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

feels bad to see both eu4 and stellaris get dlc announced and released before hoi4 even gets a release date

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i feel like thats gonna be one of the new achievements