Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
wrist braids or rank pips

which do you prefer, gbs thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I don't think they did that perspective thing right with blurs and poo poo. The ship looks 20 feet tall.

That's because it's a composite shot using the physical miniature, which they made small so they could show the ship doing kewl manoeuvres and poo poo more easily. The result is that when they tried to do a TMP style close up of the ship it looks like a toy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I thought it was cgi. Something about it looks too smooth and fake that I think that if I ever saw the model in real life my brain would be unable to process it as real and I'd insist that is a hologram of some sort.

Voyager was really when they started the switch over to CGI; they had a computer model built specifically for the warp speed rubberband effect that TNG used something called a slit-scan technique to film int he 80s, as Voyager progressed they eventually stopped using the physical model for new shots and went over to CG completely. They actually used the CG model for the first part of the landing sequence in the first episode they did it in and it looks loving terrible, a few seasons later the technology had matured and they when they tried it again it looked pretty dope

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They didn't really do cg set extensions until later in the series, by then it was the late 90s and you can't really fault the vfx guys for trying to experiment a bit. Voyager sucks but the behind the scenes technical stuff was pretty interesting

Of course the one time DS9 did a set extension they built a miniature for it and it was so good I didn't even realize what the shot was until somebody pointed it out to me 20 years later

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure it was that cardie command centre that Sisko visits when Riker's evil transporter clone steals the Defiant and fucks a bunch of poo poo up. The bottom half of the set was redressed from DS9's cargo bay or something and the top half was greenscreened in later with the miniature so it would look like this big crazy room

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

B'elanna can gently caress off. She's a goddamn whiner and everyone knows it.

Honestly her whole character was "I am a klingon therefore I will be disagreeable about everything to everybody at all times." The fact that any of the other characters seemed to like her let alone get along with her or even have relationships with her was the most unbelievable aspect of the whole drat show

e: and that's why the fact that they chose to focus the whole depression episode where they build the first Delta Flyer on her is so frustrating to me, they chose the most unsympathetic character to put through that poo poo so the whole time you're watching you just wish the dumb jerk would kill herself already so everybody else could move on, which is precisely not the message you want to send about how to handle people suffering from depression.

Automatic Slim posted:

The Great Barrier was supposed to prevent people from leaving the galaxy. Shatner muddled things by putting it around the center of the Galaxy to prevent "God" from leaving. Roddenberry considered Star Trek V apocryphal and the less said the better.

V was flawed but ultimately still a decent Star Trek adventure, more enjoyable than at least half the TNG films

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
'Adult TV' is usually just a bunch of dicks being dicks to each other anyway so

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The new Star Trek will be one of the most pirated shows ever, if it's trash it'll be mercifully short and if it's good it'll be tragically cancelled too soon unless somebody else somehow picks it up

Either way they hired the loving Wrath of Khan guy and the dude who worked on most of the dozen good episodes of Voyager and a bunch of good TNG ones for it so I'm more optimistic than my dumbass 14 year old self should have been just prior to Enterprise's pilot episode

But if CBS's one intrusion into the show is a 90s goth chick I'm not going to complain

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What about the episode where Seven gets her nanoprobes extracted w/o her consent and at first you think it's a rape allegory but then like 5 minutes before the end the guy ends up being falsely implicated and kills himself while panicking and trying to escape anyway (?!) so the whole thing ends up implying that women who report their rapes are hallucenating bitches that ruin men's lives or something

Basically there are maybe a dozen or so honestly good Voyager episodes and the rest of the time when it isn't being boring and pointless it's falling flat on it's loving face like that, and only a goddamn fool could have watched the whole show and not picked up on it

gently caress's sake I've known since I was a child Ds9 was the quality show and Voyager was the one you watched because it was the only thing on Wednesday night

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The bajorans were more often than not unsympathetic and irritating as gently caress and so only strengthened my lack of belief in any religious stuff

Dukat did nothing wrong :colbert:

But yeah whenever I hear people making GBS threads on DS9 it's always for whatever the show actually wasn't, and more for whatever nonsense that individual decided to project onto it. I had one guy tell me it was boring because "there were never any space battles on it" once.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would like to point out that I never found Kira irritating, just all the other ones like that one loving guy that wouldn't get off the moon so they could use it for some sort of much needed power production project even though they were going to set him up in some other equally awesome local with the Federation's post scarcity help and whatnot

I think at some point the writers realized this because they made that episode where that even more irritating alien race of refugees comes through the wormhole looking to settle on Bajor but the Bajorans tell them to get lost because they were in the middle of a famine and the aliens were gross and shedding everywhere and then it turns out the aliens are super awesome farmers and the Bajorans own shittiness hosed them in the end

And lol the Maquis. I mean I get not wanting to leave your home and the emotional toll that takes but when your options are either stay and live under the boot of an oppressive alien fascist government or be moved with your community and family with all your stuff to another idyllic class M world of your choice for no cost, what kind of rear end in a top hat decides to stay and pick up a phaser and risk the death and destruction of everyone and everything you hold dear just to stick it to those cardie spoonheads?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

TNG had an episode with space Native Americans. Picard gave them the same sales pitch and they said, "Nah, this place speaks to us on a spiritual level, it's not a piece of real estate."

That's the episode where Wesley told Picard and the Federation to go gently caress themselves. It's refreshing to see Picard on the wrong end of moral indignation.

That's the same episode where the Native Leader dude tries to guilt trip Picard for something one of his ancient ancestors did on Earth, right? I get the point of the episode but it really wasn't one of Trek's stronger morality plays.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Was BSG really popular because of it's space battles? IIRC but they only really got into it a handful of times over the course of the series and most of the show was people talking about stuff

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tectonis posted:

I'm trying to think of my top 5 or 10 best Star Trek episodes and the thing I keep coming back to is how none of them are Voyager. In 7 seasons the closest they probably came for me was probably Living Witness. Even North Star from Enterprise rates higher for me than anything I can recall from Voyager.

I am usually the first to poo poo on Enterprise and all it's frustrating lameness but I will stick up for North Star as a fun but modern throwback to a TOS style adventure

The firefight between the landing party and the cowboys was loving great

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Essentially, yes. For some of them, like Tyrol, it works.

For some of them, like Ellen and Saul, it's mind numbingly weird and creates all sorts of continuity problems.

For others, like Anders and Tory, it's 'lol who cares' and 'lol this would have had more impact if it was Billy' respectively.

I guess one out of five isn't too bad?

BSG had no plans past New Caprica and then the writer's strike torpedoed their original, grittier plan. Everything just kind of... ended. It wasn't a bad ending by any means but it was just... an ending. Things finished in a way that was acceptable but slightly disappointing.

That, and a lot of people were pissed that they talked about angels and God and poo poo.

I got the impression that BSG's ending was the first inkling a lot of people had that angels and God and poo poo are typically unsatisfying answers to any questions

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was onboard with bsg's finale until the remains of human civilization decided to spread themselves upon the wind because gently caress toilet paper and penicillin am I right

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I usually think people are way too whiney about special effects and stuff but whoa that trailer is really almost novelty bad. Seriously, Enterprise had better fx.

For all it's faults I don't think there was really a single bad VFX shot in Enterprise. Maybe the CG Gorn?

I was all excited for the new show because they got the Wrath of Khan guy working on it but that teaser was utter trash. That's poo poo you include as part of a behind the scenes extra on the blu ray if anywhere at all, not what you use to try to sell people on your new project

e: screencaps of it look like a still from Star Trek Online, a lovely free to play mmo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Wow, I sure hope it's not in the Aatrek universe. I do not need full-on kiddy diddling in Star Trek.

Those effects have GOT to be placeholders - which makes me wonder if people making this show have seriously poor judgment for showing it in public.

The other day they tweeted a picture of the un-upholstered captain's chair from the show, my guess is they scrambled to put something together so they'd have anything to show at SDCC.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

The bit where the Enterprise battles the future tech Luftwaffe was straight out of a 90's FMV game. I can't post youtube links so this pic will have to do.

Without checking was this in the show or did I steal it from a Red Alert clone and slap a UPN logo on it?

Come on, this wasn't bad for TV circa 2005. It looked a lot better in motion anyway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Kira was the first crush I can remember having as a young kid and therefore is responsible for my love of girls with absurd haircuts

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
dr. selar report to my pants immediately

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Generations version of the bridge was the best bridge, or would have been if they hadn't of installed all those loving dimmer switches and then blown the whole thing the gently caress up

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They actually built up the bridge set with new stations and whatnot, it was a nicer looking version of the mods they did for Yesterday's Enterprise but yeah they turned all the lights off anyway to hide the lovely carpet

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why would anybody list Year of Hell and specify part one only

I mean I get that it's the titular example of a literal reset button ending, to the point where there's a drat gif of it but really now

I think that two parter (aside from being a perfect example of what kind of show Voyager could and arguably should have been) was great if only for the timeship captain ahab angle. Anytime Trek does or mentions Moby Dick it seems to be a good time, especially when paired with some strong actors like President "Bitches Leave" Red Foreman

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I've always theorized that the horrible genetic and nuclear war that apparently happens some time between now and startrek is the reason we only really see americans in the federation. Most of the world was obliterated, only pockets of america survived. We see San Francisco a lot but no one has ever mentioned New York or DC or many other major US cities in trek, the reason is because they're gone.

After the earth got its poo poo back together they decided to rebuild and repopulate the earth, but only had americans. Luckily america is pretty diverse, so people even remotely connected to a region's culture were sent there to rebuild although in a watered down americanized sort of version. In a lot of cases they didn't have enough of the area's original inhabitants to re-establish the culture, so they just sent people with matching last names or skin tones or what ever. This is why picard is english. England, france, close enough, just send some guys with accents over there and re-built their stupid tower and we'll say Paris is reborn. Asia was hit the worst by all this which is why indians and chinese are so super rare in the federation despite being almost half the population today.

I mean it can't be that it was an american show made for american audiences so most all the actors end up being american and the federation ends up having a racial/cultural mix very close to america at the time of filming, it's all deep world building lore stuff showing the horrors of nuclear war.

WW3 is when all the capitalists and religious people nuke each other to death, then the survivors are uplifted by the Vulcans

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the kid from sea quest killed himself and the dolphin was voiced by the same guy who played the original Megatron

also Micheal Ironside was a cool and good captain, he refused to do scenes with the dolphin

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Glossy shiny waterproof fabrics make the best towels in the future.

I found a comforter once that looked like something from TNG so I bought it and it would repeatedly just slide right the gently caress off my bed

Gatekeeper posted:

I was visiting my mom and got really bored w/ her so I raided her bookshelf for supernatural erotica and found an Anne rice book about witches and I'm reading it and I kept feeling like I'd heard a similar plot before and suddenly I realized star trek: the next generation totally stole this story when they made sexy Dr crusher have a scottish family gently caress ghost that fucks all the ladies, passed down from generation to the next generation because that's literally the plot of this book: a witch in scotland makes friends with a ghost and fucks it and then it fucks her daughter and her daughter's daughter and all the daughters and even the occasional sexy witch son and I mean what are doctors if not science witches?

Anyway great book plenty of good descriptions of ghostcock filling up witchpussy and witchtitties being ghostsucked and good stuff like that would read and j/o all over myself again, same with that TNG episode, seeing bev cum from a ghost was and is a high point of life for child me and manchild me

I can remember when I found my mom's anne rice stash but it didn't phase me because I already knew she was loving nuts

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like the remark about how they basically got away with murder in regards to showing Beverly pretty much orgasming on prime-time family TV, in the early 90's no less.

Why the gently caress don't I remember this at all?

I'm legit irritated by this, I remember every other little loving detail about these loving shows like the fact that Voyager has a stripped down spare warp core (some assembly required) stashed behind the main one, but that slips my mind?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

These are the same people that forgot they had a whole specialized "kewl" shuttle built into the drat ship already and potentially made out of an existing set but went with the Delta Flyer anyway because gently caress it why not?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
request to change thread title to Cmdr. Riker's gently caress Palace

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
STO got better since it's lovely launch but like every other modern game it's mostly just clicking through a billion menus and options that effectively make .4% difference in the end with no real explaination

The most fun I ever had "playing" it was when I burned out my old video card by running a keyboard macro that would fill the pubbies' horrible R/P zone with plasma coolant, Q flashes and warp speed effects

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Oberth is my favourite non-Enterprise starship design

honestly if they unfroze me in the 24th century I'd just be like yo can you hook me up with a used Oberth, I'll turn it into the raddest baddest party yacht in the alpha quadrant

also I suggested this to a friend but somebody should make a tshirt with the image of one of those Risian gently caress statues on it and go to one of the big cons and see what happens

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I were the commander of a sub I'd force the crew to stop being smelly and gross or else I'd dive the boat and open all the doors

This is probably what happened to the Kursk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This one time when I had a really bad cold with a sore throat I ate like 4 packs of those halls cough candies

would it be like doing that, because I wouldn't recommend it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

Space isn't an empty vacuum it's a horrible maelstrom of radiation and micro-meteorites and stuff. There's no reason why we would want to go out there. Like if you're in a root cellar in Kansas and there are multiple tornadoes outside, you wouldn't go looking to smell the daisies. The conditions in space are way worse than multiple tornadoes.

Like you couldn't just have a bubble around your head in it with just breathable air in it. You'd still die. Space is really loving harsh and inhospitable. I feel like a lot of these exploration narratives about space are based on the idea that it's an empty easily explorable area rather than a bunch of stuff that is actively trying to murder you even between planets and asteroids.

You can spin for gravity, you can shield against radiation with water that you can use for fuel, etc. There are solutions to the problems of space travel and it looks like a big one (getting to recover and reuse your goddamn space boosters) is on it's way to being solved within the next 5 to 10 years. There are fucktons of resources out there waiting to be ground up and built into places to live and machines to probe the universe and learn cool poo poo that can help us live better. Space is hard, but it's also the rest of the universe so like what, we're supposed to just stay here until the sun swells up like Shatner's face and envelops the Earth? Fuuuuuuck that

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RVWinkle posted:

10 years before TOS might mean war with the Romulans?

No

quote:

It also says the lead will be an Admiral which gives a BSG vibe.

no it' doesn't, other things have admirals too

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG was great at the time because it was like hey this space show is taking itself seriously and isn't showing me the same poo poo over and over again but they started chasing Lost type story twists and never really had a plan despite opening every episode telling the audience explicitly that was the case, and a decade on nearly everybody does some version of the shakeycam spacebattle with the washed out colour timing

The rewatchability drops off after the New Caprica rescue, although I thought the mutiny was also good and the first big musical reveal was kickass before they went nuts with it later on. Overall it's so loving early 00's grimdark that it's almost funny sometimes

and why the gently caress is every variation of "chief" constantly tortured in pop sci fi

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best Stargate episodes are the ones written by the guy who plays Teal'C where somebody kidnaps or murders one of his many hot exes (or sometimes it's his son or Bra'tac) and so he just fucks off on an epic one man revenge mission, single-handedly slaughtering hundreds of enemy jaffa in spite of serious personal injuries (remember that time he literally duct taped two staff weapons together?) until he triumphs on his own or is aided and rescued at the last second by the rest of SG1

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm watching DS9 "Past Tense" and I'm really enjoying this BC character. They should have found a way to keep him on the show permanently just constantly trying to kill people and saying crazy poo poo and adjusting his hat.

that's the one star trek story that is guaranteed going to loving happen irl within the next 25 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Andromeda had such a cool concept and the first season was rough but it at least carried the main idea of the show forward. Then they fired the writers and turned it into lovely hercules in space and threw out the overarching plot.

The things I can remember hurting that show from the very beginning were the incredibly low rent MIDI orchestra they had for the incidental music and the irritating xtreme 90s dude with frosted tips

e: their bad guys were also genetically engineered ayn rand fanboys, which is amazing concept for the most hateable villains ever but of course they went nowhere with it