Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

So, you're into Resting Bajoran Face are you?

More like Resting Bij Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Parts of ID work, mainly the beginning of the film, whereas I don’t think there is anything redeemable about Nemesis

Yeah, Into Darkness works right up until Benny C reveals that he's Khan. Then it very rapidly comes flying apart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, everything I see Terry Matalas say and do makes him sound like he's just the dumbest, most gormless asswipe in Hollywood. A real room temperature (Celsius) IQ prick who tripped and failed into every job he's ever gotten.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Riker isn't "gay", because that would imply anybody in the 24th century is "straight."

Also Riker and Troi are totally the open marriage/polycule/pansexual types. The moments they're on screen are the only times in their lives when they're not relentlessly loving everyone around one another and/or each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Picard season 3 ignoring the threat established in season 2's last episode, the big green laser beam thing?

Every new season of Picard completely erases whatever dumb poo poo happened in the previous season, so I'd stake money on it, yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Also calling it now: Geordie dies

I'm gonna say Beverly, Geordi, Deanna, Raffi, Seven of Nine and Worf all die because the showrunner for Picard is apparently friends with and a fan of a bunch of white supremacist misogynist chuds, so he's gonna kill all the women and black people on the show to make them happy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I was unaware of this, can you tell me more/direct me to more information about it

Terry Matalas, the showrunner for Picard Season 3 and the first couple of episodes of Season 2 before he hosed off into a closet to write all of Season 3 himself and was never seen again, is really buddy-buddy close, like simperingly close, friends with and fans of at least two known big name chuds, Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Beuchler aka "Nerdrotic", and has been trying to woo them endlessly in the run up to tonight's premiere of Season 3 to get glowing praise out of them despite them having a long history of hating modern Star Trek, women, people of colour and LGBT+ people.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas

You can see on his Twitter account literally today that Matalas was retweeting poo poo from Nerdrotic in a cloying "please like me racist daddy" appeal to Beuchler's crusty bigoted rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

LMAO jesus gently caress, thanks for the info. That is loving grim.

McSpanky posted:

and the other shoe drops

I've heard it rumored that Matalas might be a goon like Lower Decks' Mike McMahon is/was, and if he is :lol: gently caress him into the next universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"The real me is hunting us with a quantum slipstream Dauntless-class starship? Good luck with that."

I love how Holo Janeway is just like "Aw, you're all fuuuuucked:haw:" with that quote.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Holo Janeway was really rad.

Hell admiral Janeway was really rad.
Basically prodigy is good.

Prodigy is probably the best Modern Trek show with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks in a knife fight for second place. Picard gets a participation ribbon that says "You Almost Tried" on it, and Discovery... I paused for a solid minute trying to think of ways to finish that sentence, so I'll just leave the thought unfinished.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Drove all of them to the competition then fell asleep in the car?

Yeah, that works really well. There'd be no LDS, SNW and PRO without Discovery, but it is one real shitass deadbeat parent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

If anything it's been really funny watching the abrupt shift from Discovery's initial launch into producing stuff that people who liked Star Trek might actually enjoy and fanservicey mush

It Mr. Magoo'd its way to giving us three great Star Trek shows and one absolutely hilarious for all the wrong reasons Star Trek-ish show while never rising itself beyond the blistering heights of "Oh, it still exists? Wow."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The only good thing about Seven and Raffi is that it retroactively validates the fact that Seven had way more sexual tension with Janeway than she did with any of the men.

Or that Chakotay was so bad for her it literally turned her gay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

Picard S3E1 is not painful, in the same way that a large man cocking back his fist before smashing your head in is not painful.

Thanks Mike, looking forward to the review(s) this year! :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Oh is the first episode of a Picard season OK? Where have I heard that before?

"It's going to be different this time," says increasingly desperate man for the third and final time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

It was a shotgun spray of mystery boxes and every single one will pay off big don’t you worry

To put a few of them to bed for you right up front, the kid is Picard's son, the reason Beverly ghosted the Enterprise crew for 20 years was because Picard knocked her up and she just left into the void to raise the kid away from him, and the guy Raffi is talking to via the TV screen is Worf.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

The kids name is Abra. Candelabra.

His name is Jack-Luc. She named him after both the men she hosed, not including the ghost candle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder what the odds are that Picard ever so much as called Jason Vigo again.

Picard promised a woman who was basically Data's daughter who he spent several weeks getting to know that he'd take her on an adventure to see the universe and then just left her in a bar on the horniest planet in the galaxy and never thought about her again. You really think he even remembers some kid he met for like four hours one day 30 years ago?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So they've literally just left the season 2 threat hanging. Jesus Christ, how do these people sleep at night? And why hasn't anyone interviewing them asked what the gently caress was supposed to have happened?

Season 2 was tax write off that CBS decided release to the public instead of lock up in a vault or burn every copy of like Warner Bros. has started doing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Jurati.

Jabooti.

Beeftweeter posted:

since one of the supposedly main characters becomes the borg queen after they go back in time the whole thing technically shouldn't have happened anyway. it's a perfect metaphor for the season itself

Again, I just keep thinking about how nuts Season 2 of Picard must have been from the POV of the Stargazer bridge crew. You're at your station manning the helm trying to mind your own business while your captain (a guy who was unemployed about a month ago) lights up a stogie on the bridge while his weirdo girlfriend...-ish drunkenly stumbles around the bridge like it's a jungle gym and tries to do the science officer's job for him. You then warp out to inspect some space thingie and it turns out that it's The Borg, and they only want to talk to Admiral Picard. So Picard shows up and says "Hello" and the Borg respond by immediately beaming their Queen over and trying to take over the ship.

A fire fight erupts and you can hear Captain Nepotism in the background screaming at everyone to cease fire, yet more security goons keep flooding in from the turbolifts and just unloading in the direction of the viewscreen to zero effect. Picard activates the self destruct and you begin crying and pissing yourself because you're about to die and then when the timer suddenly gets to one, the old man goes "Ehh, nevermind. Cancel auto destruct."

You look up from under the cover of your console to discover that Captain... what was his name again, Ross? Ringo? Rivera? Eh who gives a poo poo, anyway, he's gone, just not loving there anymore, and neither is his weirdo girlfriend, but the XO of the Excelsior is now suddenly there on the bridge with everyone, so that's new. Oh and I guess Captain Retcon's weirdo ex-girlfriend actually IS still there, she's now the Borg Queen... what?

Anyway, Queen Jabroni or whatever the hell her last name was says a space diarrhea thing is about to erupt and kill everyone in the Alpha Quadrant and they need all of Starfleet to stop it, so it's time to go warp off to avert that crisis. Picard then makes some random woman who was famous like 20 years ago for surviving the Delta Quadrant on Voyager the captain now, because that's just what Picard does now, just makes people captains like he's the loving Queen of England knighting people, and you go zip off to save the day from the space goatse hole thing.

Then Picard goes back to his vineyard, the Borg Queen goes back to her Borg palace ship and you're left standing there going "I'm sorry, WHAT THE FU--"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTF0Yq1_0Og

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 19, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

it's really funny that there are multiple completely valid reasons why that entire season just should not have happened at all

The only explanation I can come up with is that they needed something to act as a stopgap to buy them time to work on making Season 3 the best possible version of itself that they could make in their limited scope of competence, so Season 2 was a piece of sacrificial trash that everyone knew going into it was going to be a disaster which they farmed out to the lowest bidding contractors to make fast and cheap with the mandate of disposing of all the pieces that didn't fit into their plans for the story they really wanted to tell (Season 3) as ruthlessly as possible.

It was a season that literally no one wanted to make, and yet they HAD to make it otherwise, so they just quarter-assed their way through it, where as Season 1 and hopefully Season 3 at least reached the heights of half-assed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

Crusher: I trained him with an English accent as a joke.

Accents are genetic :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

7 of 9 went from vigilante murderer to XO of the Titan just on the word of Picard and Janeway. Starfleet was just like "Yeah, we'll jump you about 8 steps in your career. As long as Picard is cool with you."

It seems like she was even forced on Shaw because he shits on her a bunch even before she drags the ship off-course and sneers at her being ex-Borg.

I mean, this is par for the course for both Picard and Janeway. Picard got a guy who'd been washed out of Starfleet for over a decade and living in a space RV in a drunken haze for most that time a job as the captain of the most advanced ship in the fleet, seemingly against the dude's will on his word alone. Janeway got a bunch of kids who stole an advanced prototype starship and were an accessory to the deaths of thousands and the destruction of dozens, possibly hundreds of Starfleet vessels advanced placement in Starfleet Academy as warrant officers, also on her word alone. Having them both show up in a room at the same time and go "Hire this woman" is the Starfleet equivalent to Literally God showing up and telling you to do something. And you don't ask the Almighty for his ID.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah well when any other captain gets a tv show maybe they'll have the same amount of influence as Picard and Janeway :colbert:

Man, even in the Federation loving TV and movie stars have outsided pull...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Jfc that poo poo makes me laugh every single time

I can't believe there's even a sequel!

How do you manage to piss off a man so much with one sentence that he commits your face to memory and is able to pick you out of a crowd and scowl at you from across the room years later?

Goons really are special people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

I’m glad my complete lack of social graces added to the SA canon

Seriously, you made a lifelong enemy out of Robert Picardo, the nicest man in Hollywood. What the gently caress is/was wrong with you?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I feel like I've had my own little celebrity encounter here. I finally met the guy behind picardo_death_stare.jpg and picardo_death_stare(2).jpg.

I'm not really impressed, I gotta say.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Mr. Picardo, I just want to say I really enjoyed Voyager and I think you were a standout addition to an already stellar cast."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

I watched ten minutes of lower decks and just can't bear how fast they're speaking. Am I just to old for this or what.

Lower Decks first few episodes are REALLY loving rough. Once it finds it footing, it levels out significantly, and only Mariner retains the "talking like a normal, modern person who's watched Star Trek finding themselves within the Star Trek world would" quirk.

Also gonna N'th what other folks have said about Stargate: Atlantis, it's not really good, but it IS fun and rad as poo poo and worth watching, especially for the seasons Picardo's on it as a main cast member.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 21, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

By the third season, Lower Decks is just making great regular Trek with some jokes. Hell, Reflections veers close to being a straight drama.

Yeah, Lower Decks has a heart and soul and a vast amount of respect for not just its audience, but its story universe and characters, which is something that shows like Picard and Discovery are absolutely bereft of. It's the same with Strange New Worlds and Prodigy, all three shows respect your time and intelligence. Picard is just trying to work a con on you to get the folks behind it a paycheck.

Lower Decks is the kind of show that I, someone who's been a fan of Star Trek for 30 years, would make in order to express both my love for and my gentle frustrations with All Of Star Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Is Prodigy not a show for babies? I thought it was one of them baby shows

Prodigy goes from "Babby's First Star Trek" to "holy gently caress this show is legitimately amazing and whips the pants off Picard so hard the pants no longer exist." Within the span of about 5 episodes, maybe even quicker.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've said it in a couple of places, but both Prodigy and Lower Decks are a pair of Star Trek shows that are built on love for Star Trek, just from two different perspectives. Lower Decks is a show that loves Star Trek from the perspective of someone who's been a fan for decades and knows it well enough to make fun of how silly it is without straying into meanspiritedness. Meanwhile Prodigy is a show from the perspective of someone who has just today found out what Star Trek is and has fallen in love with it and wants to learn everything about it as fast as possible in order to be true fan of it.

Picard meanwhile, is a show that has nothing but spite for Star Trek and hates you for still somehow sticking around and loving Star Trek 30 years after TNG went off the air.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This interview was interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnySfN02YYQ

The first minute fifteen is the showrunner and Frakes basically saying that of course Picard isn’t like TNG because TNG was episodic and thoughtful which is more like SNW. Also I don’t think Dorn knows they revamped the Klingons because when he’s asked if there was a discussion about making Worf look like Klingons do now he seems to think he’s being asked about Worf’s hairstyle.

lol @ all the idiots in the comments going "OMG Terry Matalas really gets Star Trek you guys wow!"

If this is the best we got, we're screwed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Got to the episode where the real Brahms shows up on the Enterprise and Geordi tries to seduce her

Geordi La Forge, Captain of the USS Incelsior

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Fun fact: that episode was written by Maurice “sexually harass Gates McFadden” Hurley. This probably explains why the episode ends with Brahms apologizing to Geordi for being mad at him for having a holo-sex doll of her.

God, I'm glad that old gently caress's dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

there's already worf killing ferengi

matalas needs to pick a grave to piss on

I'm willing to let that one pass. Worf had to put up with Quark for like five years of his life. I'm surprised hasn't murdered more Ferengi yet...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

Wesley will be the deus ex machina of whatever the main problem of season 3 turns out to be, oh and Not Soji from 2024 will be there.

And keep at least one eye open ‘cause his best friends, the Simpsons, just might pop in to wish him luck.

Now you're making me picture Wesley Crusher as Star Trek's version of like the G-Man from Half-Life and he's gonna stop everything in the middle of a warp core breach and pluck Picard out of time or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

brooks has made it very clear that he'd only come back if they also brought back lofton. for some reason the execs are unwilling to do so. still, that's not an impossible request that could never be accommodated, so it might happen eventually once they finally mine out all the nostalgia value from the tng cast.

I thought Cirroc Lofton was on good terms with the current crop of producers running Trek? If that was Brooks's only sticking point, shouldn't that have been an easy "Okay, sure..." by now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but there's been a pretty much complete generational turnover since he worked with them.

Unfortunately though, they're all still assbrained idiots, just of a different flavour from the Berman Era, so he'd probably piss them all off too by calling out their bullshit when he saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Somehow, Dukat returned

Don't worry, we can fix that