Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure how keen I am about the sudden realization that Eugene/Arseface turbo-gooned and turned that girl into a vegetable with a shotgun, and isn't in jail because 'reasons' that probably involve his father being the arbiter of law and Odin being the judge, jury, and executioner.

"Finish the job" indeed.

Supreme Allah posted:

I really hope that civil war teaser means that Saint of Killers is showing up and just absolutely laying turbo waste to everyone and everything.

And I really hope that we get to see the Saint of Killers freeze hell and kill Satan first. Call it compensation for not getting to *see* someone get sucked down into the loving mire of Hell.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They've supposedly greenlit a second season already, so the ratings must be okay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Strawman posted:

Anyone think the god Quinncannon is serving is Odin?

More than likely it's himself or the giant 'Meat Woman' he cobbled together and hosed and worshiped in the comic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The annoying thing is going to be when people who've never read or heard of the GN call the Saint of Killers an "Anton Chighurh ripoff."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I think that Odin is him actually doing God's will, and God's priority is to mess with Jesse as the host of Genesis, as it was in the comics. Odin right now is like when avid sicced Jesse's grandmother on him.

This is an interesting idea, and it has the virtue of them literally having to do nothing and spend no money for it to be plausible.

That being said, Odin seems to get a pseudo-religious pleasure in hearing cows die. I'd imagine each bovine scream is like a cash register opening up, so Death and Greed are likely the things he worships.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cybershell posted:

I'm a huge fan of the comics and I've just had to completely mentally divorce the show from the comics, and I find the show fairly enjoyable, but it's over more than "a single difference"... It genuinely barely resembles the source material in any regard, plot, characters, backstories, it's literally all different. In fact I don't think there's literally a single thing that actually matches up with the comics besides character names, I wouldn't even say they have the same premise exactly cause Genesis has been shown to work pretty differently. That said none of it makes the show bad, but this isn't like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones level of differences, it's genuinely more different than the same.

The only reason the comic was better is because in the comic, when Genesis inhabited Jesse it blew up the church and vaporized all of these feckless* characters I can't bring myself to care about. =/

* those otherwise known as the townspeople

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 18, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

Yeah, Ennis had a tendency to overdo it in the gross department, sometimes to the detriment of other things.

No women (or men) have gotten raped [yet], for instance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Do we know what that control room is for? It looks like the guy is pressing a pressure release valve.

My guess is that the "Power" part of "Meat & Power" is the use of cow farts (methane) to generate electricity. If the concentration isn't kept in check, boom.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

He's also probably fracking for extra methane, hence the sinkhole the woman fell into.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not famliar with Ennis too much past his Punisher run, which is the only Punisher run worth reading in my view. Seriously if you ever read MAX, do not read past his run. I didn't realize when he left and thought the story of the Punisher going to Mexico to fight the Cartels would have been a great idea.. then read it, thought it was rewarmed dog poo poo and bottomed out in quality.. and that's when I noticed Ennis's name wasn't on it anymore.

But I have to say, rape is surprisingly not an angle he tends to go for much, unlike some other comic authors. At least in that series. All manner of hosed up things, sometimes ridiculously hosed up things that come off as hilarious (a character shooting herself while riding a main character, for example), but I can think of very little rampant rape. Maybe I'm skewed by Game of Thrones standards.

The only example counter to that coming to mind was The Slavers story, but it was more of a footnote and backdrop. Honestly the most disturbing thing in that story was what the Punisher did to those people by the end, including Repeatedly throwing the woman involved into unbreakable glass until first she broke nearly every bone, then the glass finally gave in too). So no argument Ennis can get wildly extreme but there's always this.. I don't know, vibe (again from the Punisher stuff) that he knows he's being massively over the top and reveling in it that makes it far less creepy than some of Alan Moore's stuff or the like.

Anyway, just my two cents on the guy from a very, very limited view of his overall body of work.

I've read a lot of Ennis' work, including all of his Punisher MAX run, which got me back into buying GNs, along with his War Stories and Battlefields line (which are awesome reads because it's obvious Ennis loves doing historical pieces, but they do include a lot of Ennis-grade rape and allusions toward rape either being possible or implied), as well as Red Team, 303, and the entire run of The Boys as well, including the offshoots. Ennis absolutely hates superheroes and Preacher is basically his opening shot, by going after Superhero #1 in ~Gawd Himself~, as well as showing the choir of angels to also be largely inept and only capable of marginal success because of an infinite lives cheat.

The show has my attention simply because I'm anxious to see who Herr Starr will be, and if they've managed to make Odin a compelling character, then I can't wait to see what they do with Starr and his staff.

Also, I suggest you get your hands on used copies of Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX run. He picks up directly after where Ennis left off, ignoring all of the also-ran stuff. He doesn't do a perfect job, but he bookends it well.

There's also talk of Ennis doing a comic of Frank in Vietnam, too...but this is getting rambly.

EDIT: And let's face it, we're all kind of 'bought in' because we want live action animated GIFs of these moments (spoilered for what-the-gently caress's sake):

I also really hope that the writers had the forethought to fit in the "Why don't you tell us what you really want?" moment into something where an analog of Hillary and Trump get "voiced."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 20, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

He already did that in Born didn't he? Which I remember being pretty drat good.

This series would cover him from his first day in Vietnam. The hope is that it works out like his second 'Fury' series (also amazing and worth getting your hands on if you liked his Punisher MAX run, as there's tie-in) where he starts as an FNG and potentially takes the reader to just before "Born."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boinks posted:

I found the Fury Max run in a dollar bin a few years ago and loved it.

I was a HUGE fan of The Boys... I have an issue autographed in person by Ennis, Braun and Robertson and sketches from Braun and Robertson in my collection.

There are actually *two* Ennis Fury MAX runs. There's the one where he takes on the former Russian/Hydra guy (which is rumored to have been the sole cause as to why George Clooney decided to not play Nick Fury when the Marvel movies started up), and then there's the one where it chronicles him through the Cold War. The first one is funnier, the second one is amazing yet tragic as gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 20, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really hope Starr ends up being someone like Scott Glenn. He really has the ability to go from 'idle' to 'redline' rather well.

The fanbase seems to think it'll be Charles Dance or Terry O'Quinn, but honestly I don't think we're going to see his face this season, and the guy we saw was one of the crew in the suit serving as a stand-in. Someone would have leaked the casting by now, otherwise.

Dream casting, though? Patrick Stewart.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 21, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Stewart always wanted to be Spider Jerusalem from memory, and even though that was a Warren Ellis thing I think it would be amazing to see him as Garth Ennis' Herr Starr.

It's possible. He does voiceover work for MacFarlane's crap, and he seemed to be having some fun on Blunt Talk on Starz. It's pretty clear he wants to be something other than Jean-Luc Picard before he kicks off. Starr would be great for him, and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.

And is that a bald Christoph Waltz? Because *gently caress* yes.

Also, not only is this getting a second season, AMC has inked for 13 episodes instead of this season's 10.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Of course, he's not the Saint of Killers yet, he's still just a damned soul. Hell didn't look cold. My guess is when Fiore tries to leave with him, we might get to see the Devil. I mean, the soon-to-be SoK is probably Hell's number one generator of misery in that he gets to relive not only the worst day of his life, but they also get to harvest the joy he gets from killing everyone over and over for all eternity like a homicidal Sisyphus with a bottomless bottle of whiskey.

My guess is the moment he leaves Hell, it'll freeze over because he's the fire they've all been huddled around. Eugene will appear to Jesse again and let him know that "shumwon sthurned tshe ahr cundishunning on."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 25, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I don't really blame the guinea pigs. Within five minutes they'd have been rattlesnake or hawk chow, if they didn't die of the heat first.

But I think her locking the Mayor in with Cassidy was her just going a different way. She didn't freak out like Tulip thought, she just went crazy. I mean, we've already been shown Tulip's constantly on-edge enough to kill a cop, and it's been shown she has access to a brothel full of lovely drunk/drugged men of shockingly low moral fiber, and she still never shoved a human in that room. Hell, she knew she was going to get Carlos, and it's somewhat clear she never had the thought of shoving him in the trunk and serving *him* up to Cassidy, which likely would've been far more cruel and painful.

There's no justification for what she did other than setting her up to be judged and damned by God in the next episode with the rest of the town.

Also, I've a feeling we're going to see a repeat of the bar scene next episode. The newly-appointed SoK walks in just as Jesse starts preaching and all we'll hear from him before the church/town explodes is "finish the sermon."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, that's the point. The show's presenting her as someone who went for freedom but has no idea what to do with it. She can't survive outside the world she just destroyed.

Well, there's also the aspect that she's certain that Jesse did *something* terrible to Eugene, and she's been covering for him. To her, Jesse was the one "good man" in the town, and now she knows that's bullshit, too. So you can spin it as her buying into the town's sinning philosophy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the fact that DeBlanc gives his occupation as "serial killer" and Fiore as "architect."

Also, the travel agent is named Lucinda, and the trip costs 350 dollars per person, with beverage not included. :D

And the "class" they were traveling in was called "Nimrod."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kulkasha posted:

It's literally Jesse projecting, I doubt any of that had anything to do with actual Eugene.
Eugene's hell has to be his attempted murder-suicide, over and over.

Or watching the life of Tracy Loach unfold had he not turned her into a vegetable, kind of like a never-ending "It's a Wonderful Life...Without You" loop.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HardKase posted:

This season had one hell of a slow start, but I'm excited for season 2.

I think it's best to think of next season as the first, and this one as a prologue/Issue #0.

Also, depending on how far he walked, Carlos might still be alive...barely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Huh, I think Transmetropolitan could be a great TV adaption because it hits closer to home every passing day. I'm intrigued at Y The Last Man but I can see them just making a Walking Dead clone of the sorts.

What worries me about Y: The Last Man is the high likelihood of them going "Chuck" with it. So I'd actually prefer a TWD clone of sorts.

"Let's make it a romcom series! All these women killing themselves and each other just won't play...and psychotic brainwashed lesbians only work if they're *hot*."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pigdog posted:

Count me in as somebody who doesn't "get" The Big Lebowski.

The only reason I watch it is for Walter, and there are enough supercuts on Youtube for that already.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Not even Sam Elliott?

You can never get enough Sam Elliott.

Oh, him too - but he's not really a cast member so much as a 'cameo.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I was really hoping that while "God" was doing his schtick, Jesse would use the Word to tell him to cut that poo poo out.

Yeah, I was waiting for the iconic "Cut the poo poo, will you?" and having the guy go from looking like a Christian coloring book version God to looking like Wallace Shawn or something, nasally voice and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Gotta disagree with a lot of goons here, I thought this show started off really strong and then just kept getting stronger.

I had no idea about the comics or anything at all really when I started watching. I loved how loving weird everything was and the weirdness and mystery o fwhat the gently caress was going on kept me interested. All the characters were fun and interesting as well and that is what really hooked me. I love the vampire

Anyone who said it didn't get a lot stronger is pretty wrong. I think what most people are annoyed about is that we were told we were watching Season 1, when in truth we were watching Season 0. Since, you know, everyone's time is seriously ~precious~ and being forced to watch a 10 episode prologue irks some people.

• Locked thread