Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Splinter posted:

No fix for Mercy's ult? Or was that already fixed (or intentional)?

There was a hotfix for it April 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

Weird, should have just made it a "press space while GA'ing to super jump" and called it a day.

That’s been previously reserved for slingshot jump.

Then again, I believe they changed spacebar functionality to better control the super jump height, so they may have ruined slingshot jump too or at least shifted the timing.

I’m certain half of the frustration is legitimate, and half the frustration is muscle memory being broken. Don’t want to pay $40 to test for myself.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Mukaikubo posted:

Eh, gave it a try, and realized it was basically a less focused CSGO for me in how it 'felt' to play, still very much a super fast paced 'the only thing that matters is clicking heads' game. Splatoon might do it, I guess, if I bought a switch? :v:

Without much Quake experience, I’d still describe Splatoon closer to Quake than Overwatch. I’m loving it, but it’s fast TTK, fast respawns, lots of movement tricks and fake outs in an arena setting, and while there are soft roles there are no classes with major different stats and abilities like in Overwatch.

Anyone here can recommend what Paladins plays like now?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Father Wendigo posted:

MPvE wise? Back 4 Blood kept stepping on rakes, Borderlands 3's base campaign was a huge mess, Beyond Light showed that loving up Destiny 2 was indeed a team effort and not solely because of Activision.

To add to this, every update for B4B feels like it takes the game 1-2 steps further, but every other step is on a rake. It’s a solid game, but it asks a lot of its players in terms of patience and price. On the flip side, the game has been on sale every few months since like 2 months after its release, and it’s on Game Pass.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack Trades posted:

So you can't play Competitive at all until you have did 2/3rds of the bi-monthly grind AND on top of that you can't play Competitive first 1/5th of every season?

If they want to force me to play game without a role queue then they can gently caress right off.
I've quit the game once because it didn't have role queue, I'll quit it again.

That was the 4chan leak. From what they’ve said yesterday, instead of locking competitive for 2 weeks they’ll only lock the new character for 2 weeks so that they can put out a balance patch or two after checking player feedback. You can play competitive even without all the characters unlocked, which is why they added the part where they say they’ll be trying to not make any character a hard counter in the future.

Based on beta, both Roll Queue and Open Queue are still in.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Did people not get attracted to Overwatch because of Hammer Guy with Big Shield, Lightning Gun Scientist, and TF2 Medic 2.0? Or was it only just TF2 Scout 2.0, Cyborg Ninja, and Edgy Shotgun Guy?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
My personal issue is that as someone who plays DRG irregularly the Battle Pass has my monkey brain wanting to see numbers go up, but it feels impossible to take a break without only doing challenges when I do return to play. And challenges don’t line up with the regular progression often enough between me and my friends, so we find ourselves doing promotions and weekly core hunts instead with the little we play.

I guess the point for me is that Battle Passes feel like an extra accomplishment or achievement that I want to obtain at my leisure and the fact that most are time limited bugs me. Before Halo Infinite came out with their Battle Pass model, the only similar thing I could point to was Guild Wars 2 with its Reward Tracks for PvP and WorldvWorld. You get a bunch of them, they last forever outside of yearly timed events like Halloween, and you can easily swap and choose which track your regular play experience goes towards without any extra challenges needed.

That’s what I want for Overwatch 2:
* Season Passes that last forever with past passes available in the shop
* Holiday Passes as the extra tension of what to do with your time
* Ability to swap which pass your experience is going towards at any time
* Your level experience goes towards your battle pass at the same rate your account level grows in OW1 so the play-with-friends bonus (and that BS premium pass xp bonus) speeds you through. I could be misremembering the rate but it felt like I’d level up once per 30 min of playtime with friends. I’m probably very off over this metric.
* Ideally no challenges or at least they’re not necessary for you to finish the pass in about a month of regular play time (Assuming 20 hours a month for 5 hours a week because people got jobs and families). Instead challenges would mostly be there for earning extra shop coins so you can go “infinite”.

Proven fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2022

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Blizzard’s Official Post on it: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857517/defense-matrix-activated-fortifying-gameplay-integrity-and-positivity-in-overwatch-2/

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Launch details and checklist: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23852690/overwatch-2-ready-check-prepare-for-launch/

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

To quote the article because I fell asleep after posting this:

quote:

We want FTUE to welcome players more gradually to Overwatch 2, as we’ve seen consistent feedback from new players feeling overwhelmed by numerous game modes and heroes. New players begin with access to a limited set of game modes, heroes, and some other restrictions to onboard them more gradually. The first phase of our new FTUE rapidly unlocks all the game modes and the ability to chat in-game, and the second phase unlocks all the original Overwatch heroes over the course of approximately 100 matches. This focused experience eases new players into the world of Overwatch by teaching them about different modes, rules, and other high-level aspects of the game in an approachable way.

Most FTUE restrictions are lifted while in a group, so new players can team up with their friends at any time to play almost any game modes. Competitive is the exception to this rule because new players must complete a specific challenge to access this game mode.

Emphasis added.

I can believe new players could want to do something like this, especially more casual players. It’s the least bad news of everything OW2 imo.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

The Bee posted:

And even if this system is actually a pretty good idea, the optics are stuck on "it'll take you 100 games to get what you used to have immediately."

While I kinda agree, this stays true for anyone that actually paid money before OW2 launch. A real equivalent would be keeping the Watchpoint pack or some other bundle available that you buy to skip the new player lockout.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So hold on, they removed the borders to stop people pre-judging teammates, then added namecards that show how high you climbed in a season, allowing people to pre-judge their teammates?

They removed the level borders (that were based on how much play time you had) and the rank borders (for cases like if you’re near ranking up or the last year of OW1 Diamond tanks in Masters and GM games because there weren’t enough tanks in queue). They removed these because they were forced.

They added titles that are an opt-in method for showing off your previous season rank.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

adhuin posted:

I mean the new monetization is horrible, but I still I prefer it over lootboxes. Lootboxes was more predatory toward children and gambling addicts. New system is more honest "gently caress you, Pay me", Honest greed without the gacha component.

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the FOMO I’d say the new system sucks but would be in every way better than lootboxes for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Mystery Heroes (and FFA) has been elevated out of Arcade and into Unranked, next to Quick Play.

https://twitter.com/mizliz_/status/1575997273825169408