Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

They shoudl add a hero that casts spells.

it'd be cool if there was like a wizard hero that has no real way to attack, but he could cast a multitude of spells like lightning bolts and poison clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Blizzard basically doomed themselves into releasing boring healers with the addition of mercy, a hero that can hold down m1 and heal away a billion incoming damage

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

I like what you're going for, but I'll pass on dying in a hail of inaccurate heal-bullets.

See it's people like you why we can't have fun healers

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is Genji actually a good character to play or is he just a case of ""work twice as hard to get equal or lesser results as another way easier character". I'm leaning towards the latter but open to tips if he actually has strategic worth.

I mean aside from deflecting Bastions to death.

He felt like that to me as well when I started playing him but once you learn him he definitely becomes a good hero. He's not even that hard to play once his basic stuff becomes muscle memory. He's not in the same god tier as Tracer, McCree, Lucio and Widowmaker but you can definitely turns games around with him.

Also he will probably be indirectly buffed in the coming weeks when Blizzard gets around to nerfing the aforementioned heroes which are all pretty annoying for Genji to deal with

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

What would you consider his basic stuff? I'm guessing the fanfire/slash/dash pointblank combo is part of it.

I just meant getting the hang of him mechanically. At first Genji's combos might feel awkward to use, or you might forget that you can wallrun to get out of bad situations and so on, but eventually it should all become a second nature and you can focus entirely on what's happening in the game. I don't even think about what I need to do, all the combos and evasive moments come out naturally while I'm paying attention to other stuff

You do need to play Genji a lot to really unlock his true ninja potential but for me it was very rewarding

Lady Naga posted:

Genji has a ton of burst potential but he sucks in protracted fights so if you have enough health to survive his m2-dash-melee-m2 combo you can wreck him good.

Genji can stall like crazy with dashes, wallrunning, double jumping and deflections though. If Genji really doesn't want to die, then it's going to be hard to kill him. The only hero better at hogging all the medkits on the map is Tracer.

The main weakness you can exploit with Genji is that his defensive abilities double as his offensive abilities. He isn't that dangerous unless he uses his abilities, and if he does, he will be somewhat easy to kill until he has them again.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 6, 2016

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If you want to start on the Ninja Way you must first learn to strike all 3 bells with shurikens in the Dorado spawn room, like this

http://webmshare.com/wwOGj

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I wish it was at least somewhat viable to run a team without a healer

No one wants to play Mercy or Lucio, or should I say, Snorey and Bore-io

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Correction: Lucio is not fun

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Lucio stops being exciting when you realize that his gun deals like 64 DPS and the only reason he's relevant is because of his passive healing aura. i guess he also has to press E when enemies appear but that's about it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Dias posted:

"Lúcio is not fun because I don't get to jerk off watching my POTG" is all I'm hearing, boys. :colbert:

finally someone who gets me

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i think it would be better not to spend any money on loot crates (so that blizzard ups the drop rate on the stuff you get from them)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Anyone know how to turn down the ridiculous bloom in this game? i tried turning down all my settings and it still looks like this

whose idea was it to use a white HUD with no outlines anyway? gosh

I guess I haven't tried the new nvidia drivers but I don't want to gimp my GPU or burn my house down

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

wait 20% of overwatch's playerbase can't play the game on 60 tick? how does that even happen

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

DirtyTalk posted:

Genji players - did you have a knack for him from the start that got better with time? Or did you have to repetitively die and lose and button mash until you realized what each button actually does and then finally calculate your attacks better.

I want to learn him but I feel useless as hell and I'm wondering if it's even worth the losses playing him.

fall seven times

stand up eight

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

lucio is a pretty fun hero if you just wanna spectate the match with like a free-roam camera setting

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

today i landed the perfect zarya ult on the enemy team but then someone in my discord group blocked them off with a mei wall, so i screamed incoherently like a chimpanzee for the entire duration of the ice wall

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i just played a game against a zarya who tracked people perfectly with the laser beam. like, heroes on the killcamp would jump and he would instantly track them (usually humans are limited by reflexes)

i said "nice aimbot zarya" and then the next killcam he wasn't tracking perfectly anymore

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Grammaton posted:

In quick or competitive?

competitive, rank 68

edit: it could have been the 20 tick replays acting up but who knows

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

where are the new skins blizz

i got a 500 gold drop and i'm raring to buy a new genji skin

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

wow mccree is actually really fun now that you can't rely on fan. too bad he's really squishy for his role. i think he needs 250 hp or maybe slightly less damage falloff from his m1

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Gameko posted:

Botting feels like it's becoming more of an issue. My friends and I have seen two pretty certainly botters over the past two nights and that's without us paying much attention.

One didn't matter much because the opposing team was bad and we won convincingly, but we had a second hard match that we lost at the final payload checkpoint. The opposing team had a Phara that seemed godlike until we realized at the end of the match she was bitting.

The opponents played well and deserved the win, but a single cheater on the enemy team trivializes the whole experience. That Phara made some clutch plays that really held us back, but none of that felt fair or earned in retrospect. We were getting stomped a lot last night and that was one of the better matches with a lot of fun back and forth. Seeing a cheat simply ruined it.

I hope blizzard stays on top of the bitters because it really spoils the games. Has anyone else seen obvious botting?

what's a bitter

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

instagibbing tracers with genji combos feels good

i've managed to train myself to reflexively m2->melee->dash when i see that stupid hair on my screen

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Just played against a 68(I'm 61) tracer who dropped 87 eliminations on us. He timed the jumps and rewinds perfectly the entire match. It enlightened me on how large the skill gap can be in only 6-8 levels.

Yeah I'm only 7 ranks away from A_Seagull which is pretty crazy considering i don't consider myself half as good as him

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

kaleedity posted:

they could cut mercy's pistol damage I guess. As of now you need to blue buff someone doing 333 damage per second to match it. On the PTR, they only need to do 200 to match it.

yeah please make supports even more useless at combat than they already are

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hitscan heroes were already generally stronger than projectile ones so the hitbox change will probably make it even worse. hopefully there will be a big hitscan nerf at some point, and a healing nerf to go along with it

but maybe i'm only saying that because i don't like using hitscan guns

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

strong bird posted:

The game will really get good when they punish people who aim

but hitscan shooting requires way less aiming than projectile shooting. hitscan shooting is just point and click

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Xaris posted:

fyi it's not just targetted towards hanzo, all projectile hitboxes are mostly normalized now (mei2, zen, shurikans, etc) aren't as large. They're now like hitscan hitboxes. And that's a good thing

except when you remember that this is a huge nerf to all projectile weapons when they don't really need that. all hitscan weapons should be nerfed damage-wise along with this change. or all projectile weapons should be buffed. what's the point of picking someone like pharah, mei or hanzo when heroes like mccree, soldier and widowmaker deal way more damage way more accurately? one of the things valve figured out with tf2 was that hitscan weapons weren't fun to play against. most of the hitscan weapons in TF2 were shotguns and secondary weapons, with the sniper's rifle as the only real exception. it's only in overwatch that you can get killed in 1 second because a mccree managed to headshot you and then bodyshot you at 30m, which isn't really all that difficult

Ddraig posted:

Can we make this the new thread title because lmao

are telling me you have an easier time getting direct hits with pharah than bodyshots with mccree? what the heck

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 14, 2016

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

The funny thing about the 'Dota is balances around high level players' is that oftentimes when a patch hits those very players will be the ones saying 'hey this buff to (whoever) is completely ludicrous what the hell are they thinking and this other nerf makes no sense.' Like, it's balanced AROUND high level play but that doesn't mean they know what needs to happen or have pristine balance changes to impart.

Then again, Dota takes the shotgun approach to balance. In a lot of cases literally every hero in the game will get some small change or another, and they never ever include explanatory paragraphs about 'hey we thought that this ability was too strong so we :words:' in the notes. Like, if you're not familiar here's the most recent major patch. There are like 10 different groups that make up to three hour long patch analysis videos where they just read through the thing and try to figure out what the new meta is going to be, and a week after the patch hits they're almost always universally wrong.

Dota balance patches aren't really about balance, it's valve throwing out so many changes at once that no one knows what the most OP thing is until like 1 month later, at which point the game becomes awful until the next crazy patch

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

flashman posted:

it's because torbjorn is a turd

torbjorn really needs some more health to offset his horrendously bad hitbox

in fact, most defense heroes could really use some more health

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

torb is pretty strong. he's a bit like genji except his dash move makes a turret instead and his shurikens have a slight arc

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Seems like Blizz really doesn't want people to play comp with lower ranked friends. Every time I queue up for a game, it's guaranteed to be stressful as heck since the team's performance is so reliant on me. If we win, I gain maybe 20% of a rank. If we lose, I typically lose a full rank. This might sound like confirmation bias but it really seems like it's that way. My friends gain way more rank from wins than I do, which makes our games even harder.

I get really mad at this game's ranked which is weird considering I've played Dota for so long that I have reached a zen-like state of non-angerment in that game

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ana's voice acting is perfect. Smiling so hard

kinda sounds like she's just reading her lines off a piece of paper to me

maybe some people like that sort of thing

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

wow i don't want to play overwatch with the current iteration of mccree in the game

hitscan weapons are not fun to play against, especially when they can kill you from 30m away in half a second

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Genji ult range is so big because the hit registration on it is serverside

If you nerfed the ult range from 5m to 3m or whatever, it would be next to impossible to hit a moving target with it because blizzard doesn't believe in tick rates higher than 20

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think Genji's ult could deal like 90 damage per hit instead but it would then need to charge incredibly fast and have no obnoxious sheathing/unsheathing animations or it would utterly trashcan the hero

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

is it my imagination or if you throw up a reflect right before your ultimate ends the sheathing animation cancels it leaving you with no reflect and it stuck on cooldown

yes

the only ways to cancel the animation are:

1) dashing at the exact moment of the sheathing animation

2) wallrunning at the exact moment of the sheathing animation

otherwise the animation will cancel whatever you're doing and often gently caress you up

it's hard to say if genji is actually all that OP when all his counters are dogshit and his ult is the only decent ult in the offense hero category

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

redweird posted:

You guys have to understand that a character being 'dumpster tier' does not apply to you. Literally play whatever character you want. You are not good enough for it to matter.

unless you're above rank 55

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

try picking bastion or hanjo in rank 70 games and see where that takes u lmao

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If you can derive some form of catharsis from disabling your account or cancelling your sub then why shouldn't you do it? Doing things out of resigned spite is a reward in itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

teagone posted:

So, Riot is better than Blizzard atm, right? Because they just revealed the class-based team FPS they're working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iGU6PctOBg

[edit] The timing to announce that was perfect lol.

This seems like a weird as gently caress video to announce a video game with. I would've expected a music video that shows off the cast and some neat gameplay clips or something like that, but instead they go about talking about problems that 90% of their playerbase doesn't know or care about over rough looking alpha footage

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 16, 2019