Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Borderlands is good though. :colbert:

Borderlands 1 as Roland was okay. And then the rest was not okay.

Like people give Blizzard poo poo for their writing but it's at least in kind of a "well they're just huge dorks who really like this" way instead of an "oh my god they won't stop trying to be funny please end it" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

DrPlump posted:

If the game was coming out a 4pm EDT then it would be out in less than 1 hour but it isn't so we have to wait even longer still.

gently caress timezones

And also time in general, really

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

slev posted:

If I die I'll haunt this thread

Should really haunt the memes thread, they have fanfiction over there

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Live, realtime feed of Blizzard's server rooms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7vINno-jvo

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

in less than 5 minutes, overwatch will release in the atmosphere, ensuring

COMPLETE

GLOBAL

SATURATION

7 minutes. 7 minutes is all the time I have to wait in the queue.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:dice:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I can't believe Overwatch is loving dead.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

But it's been dead for over 30 years!

Overwatch died... 30 years ago... tonight! :spooky: :ghost: :spooky:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Technogeek posted:

I will never tire of that word filter.

Cucks probably like the cuck worldfilter when they get cucked.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Trip report: game is good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mindblast posted:

So what makes an epic skin "better" than the blue's? Most seem to recolors just like the blue's. Pharah gets a different hat though which is cool. Do other heroes have epics that change the actual model?

They're generally more sought after recolors with small changes to the model. Mei's has a slightly different design on her parka, 76 has one with a skullmask or a shiny golden one, one of Junkrat's has his entire body charred from an explosion, etc.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

help how do i zenyatta, i got a cool skin and want to use it

You want to slam your balls at people, and jam high health enemies with your discord orb. Remember to pass the b-ball and heal your friends, and get good at dunking on fools with headshots.

When you ult, remember to yell BOOMSHAKALAKA real loud into your mic

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pakled posted:

Yeah, it doesn't serve any purpose other than recognizing outstanding players.

It also makes you more likely to be matched with the person you vote for! :eng101:

You can manually avoid or prefer players through the recent players tab of the social menu as well for the same effect.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Section Z posted:

I wish there was more of a visual indicator of flare up to mark where the sweet spot of Roadhog's secondary is. Like, make sparks pop, SOMETHING.

There is. It's a cluster shot, and you can see the wad of poo poo fly out as a bunch before it expands out into the shot itself a few feet in front of you. It's essentially just left clicking, but a bit further out.

If you fire it and move to the side you can kind of notice it in flight.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Section Z posted:

Well, yeah. That's why I wish there was MORE of an indicator. Because that's basically nothing unless you're the Terminator or Robocop for giving you some needed depth perception in a firefight. Compared to "Okay, that shot about where it expanded did basically nothing. And THAT shot about where it expanded took out the remaining 3/4 of their health" I've got going at the moment.

Plus, it would give people fighting against Roadpig more of a heads up why their health is suddenly vanishing hard. Against otherwise seemingly Psychic Zarya's, I can put out a lot of hurt without them ever catching a single secondary with their bubble. Small sample size and all that, but that's the impression I get in that situation.

Eventually you do get used to it. Same with leading targets for hooks, or any other projectile. Projectiles are worse about it, in fact, since you have to gauge distance and predict their movement, whereas with Roadhog's rightclick you really only have to know the distance.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Also, use Pharah on Lijiang Towers always. There are SO many opportunities to knock people off the map. In this match 6 of my eliminations came from knocking people off the map (mostly on the section with narrow bridges)

Pharah on the Napal variation with the enormous pit right next to the point is so easy to get those environmental kills with, too. It's fantastic.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Any else having issues getting the in game voice chat to work? I can neither talk nor hear anyone even after fiddling with all of the settings for a while this morning. I've googled around to no avail as well. And yes, I made sure the settings in the social menu were correct also.

You have to make sure to set your mic as the default device through Windows. Right click volume -> recording devices, and right click whichever is your mic and set it as default.

That was the only issue I had getting it working, since Overwatch only recognizes the default and Windows was defaulting to Stereo Mix.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Dastardly posted:

D.va's ult shouldn't make her eject until you press Q a second time. That way I can kamikaze charge the enemy team instead of them seeing and hearing the mech coming from a mile away and casually hiding behind some random lamp post to completely avoid all damage.

Try boosting and ejecting straight up, or alley oop it. People tend to not notice or realize where it is when it's above them, and they've got much less time to hide.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Bolivar posted:

How was the "everyone is support class" brawl? :ughh:

It was also miserable.

The fun ones of what I played were the headshots only brawl (Widow, McCree, Hanzo and Genji, I believe), the random respawn one from open beta, and ladies night. Honorable mention goes to the Soldier 76 only brawl, since it gave you super low health and made it into Counter Strike and that was kind of funny once.

But most of them are pretty gimmicky and only really worth playing once, unlike the handful of gems like Arcade that are tons of fun.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

chumbler posted:

I have determined that Hazno is bullshit because I have gotten kills with him and I should not get kills with him because my aim is godawful. Especially after I've been drinking.

It's simple geometry.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Ddraig posted:

What exactly are you finding objectionable?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have come from the casual thread in search of knowledge. Someone teach me how to disrupt a Mei.

Failing that, teach me how to embrace being a Chinese war criminal.

Pharah is much harder to hit in the air and can bully her. Zarya's barriers reset and block the freeze effect.

Freeze people and then dome them. Build a great wall to separate the team or trap people or elevate yourself. Ice block on the point to prevent them from capping it while you're immune. Relentlessly let everyone know you're sorry.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

people play roadhog?!??!!?!?!?!?!?

Well yeah. He rules.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

this cannot be true, as he does not

I will need to meditate on this.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Randy Pitchford?!

I didn't really like Overwatch. It seems like one if their marketing people played a bit of CoD on the weekend and said "wow, we could make a killing here". It's all about quick consumption and micro transactions here. Good luck all.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Somebody explain McCree's ult to me because I am dumb. Sometimes I'll get an instakill with it but more often than not I'll deal regular shot damage and look stupid.

The circles fill in as you look at the target, based on their health. Higher health targets will take longer, and the damage is percentage based with the red skull being 100% of their health.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Pretty sure the Terrible Opinions Thread is over in PYF.

The content difference between Battleborn and Overwatch is huge. Battleborn has so much more content to it and I believe that will help it last much longer and be more fun. In Battleborn you can upgrade everything including your character, in game upgrades, profile level, etc. and all of these upgrades come with cool new stuff that is almost PERFECTLY balanced. I went into multiple games as a lvl 1-3 without gear and still managed to crush people who were level 20-30 and at no times did I feel at a disadvantage. In addition all of these upgrades allow you to change the way you play constantly. Also content such as buildables/defenses, Merc camps, spider bot sentries, etc. really adds to the gameplay. Ill be holding off purchasing Overwatch until it is more reasonable priced for its amount of content. I was just fine paying $48 for Battleborn though(Amazon Prime ftw).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pomp posted:

if it comes down to nerfing the heroes that are really powerful when doubled up, or imposing limits on competitive play, please just impose limits please god.

Too late, they already nerfed Winston shields because having two was bananas.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't get why Bastion makes people so salty because every time I play as him I can't do poo poo. I try to set up in a nice spot with some good sightlines and away from the enemy team, but as soon as I do, I get sniped from across the map or a Pharah dodges back and forth behind a wall and hits me with three rockets. Goons, please tell me the secret of making pubbie tears flow as Bastion.

Move around a bunch. The undeploy is very fast, and undeploying/redeploying is faster than reloading while deployed and reloads for you. You can jump and deploy in midair to make yourself a bit less of a target, too. Don't be afraid to deploy while someone's shooting at you if their DPS is low or they aren't landing every shot, since you can most likely out-race them to a kill and heal yourself after. Try setting up in locations that are to the side of the payload/walk to the control point, and you can catch a few people off guard.

And, obviously, if you have teammates who want to support you, let them help. Sit behind a Reinhardt's shield and ruin some people's days, but don't just sit there still while a Junkrat is flanking around to try and displace you.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Minrad posted:

Hard Counters and Soft Counters
A hard counter is something that beats its counterpart even with inferior investment.
A soft counter usually beats its counterpart, but may lose with inferior investment.
We prefer not to use these terms on this wiki. They are ambiguous and there are many edge cases. For example, in ZvZ, 9 pool is usually considered a hard counter to 12 hatchery. However, if you can keep the 12 Hatchery alive, and still make the right decisions to carry the larvae advantage into a win, then obviously 9 pool was not a hard counter to 12 hatchery.

A soft counter is like soft serve ice cream.

It's good.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Symmetra is a support, don't try to 1v1 people.

Her laser chainsaw ramps up in damage to ridiculous numbers. If you can juke she can beat out most heroes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

In what situation can I pick Zenyatta instead of Lucio and not just do worse most of the time

When your team already has a Lucio :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Except double Lucio is really good :v:

I hear this one a lot and haven't had much luck with it. The heal auras don't stack and the extra speed is neat, but I think in most cases I'd rather have someone else if we're doing double support. Mercy for revives, Symmetra for extra health or teleports, or Zenyatta to melt people.

fake edit: maybe on second thought I'd rather have a second Lucio over a Mercy. But probably not the other two.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I tried asking earlier with no answer, so here goes again

What are the best maps/situations for Reaper? I've finally gotten the white mariachi outfit so it's time to reap, but on every map I have a hard time picking him since I feel like I'd do a better job with other heroes (mostly Junkrat).

Attack? Defense? KotH? Assault? Payload?

I've found him to be a solid pick in most roles. On maps with tough chokepoints you can just ghostmode or teleport through them and flutter off to a side route like it ain't no thang, and then just go run around their backline and pick people off. King of the Hill maps are pretty good too since he's got decent sustain and the points are going to keep people in close range.

Specifically you'd definitely want him against tanks, since he'll melt them. Faster characters like Tracer or Genji can give you some trouble and you'll have to pick your moments for how to engage them. Also Pharahs will be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think this is more my issue with turret range, I can handle bastion because it's just human error and idiocy and he generally dies quick, but man the autoaim turret with no needed reloads needs a bit of falloff at range. I don't think the TF2 sentry even killed you at that pacing.

The TF2 sentry is about 10x as powerful and has insane knockback to it and rockets to punish you from peaking around corners. You can corner peak kill a Torbjorn turret much easier than that. If they were going to tone down the accuracy or range, they'd need to make it hurt that much more. Which maybe that's a better idea in some circumstances, but it probably edges him closer to the TF2 engineer level of game altering/stalling which I doubt anyone wants.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The TF2 sentry was much more powerful but it also signaled its location better by making loud telltale noises so you'd always know one was around before running into it.

That is true, yeah. They could probably do more with the turret's sound design since they do real well with it everywhere else, but I'm not entirely convinced it needs it or that it would help players avoid it. The good ones who pay attention to audio cues get a little better and the clueless ones charge ahead all the same.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pretty hosed up that Gearbox didn't make Gears of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Solumin posted:

Isn't Winston's ult basically a "Get off my lawn" CC sort of thing? If you're only knocking a few people away from the point but also scare off the entire rest of the team, you've done a good job and your team should capitalize on that. The other tank ults (Roadhog and D.Va, really) are all about clearing the point, with dealing damage/killing fools secondary.

Also how does Winston's shield actually work? I haven't played him at all, but every time one of them jumps towards me and drops a shield, my reaction is to just... walk inside the shield and keep shooting. I usually end up killing Winston unless he runs away.
Or if I'm far away, I'll shoot the shield a couple times and it'll go down, and then I'll start to shooting him instead.

Winston's ult is also technically a huge heal since it sets you to 1000 health. So you can can from 1hp to 1000 and that's pretty rad.

The shield is like Reinhardt's and just blocks everything until it takes a certain amount of damage. If the Winston is an enemy, your shots from the outside can't go in, and your shots inside can't go out, but you can move through it freely. Teammates shoot and pass through it like normal. The damage absorption on it is pretty low, but it's a bit more versatile in how you can use it than Reinhardt's is. The generator itself is a physical object, so you can drop it and trap enemies mid-leap, keep it mobile on the payload, etc.