Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

"Genji is the only character suitable for my naturally ninja-like skills. Everyone else must choose correctly so that they can sustain a front while I play the game I want to"

Is it really more fun to be in a perfectly composed premade group stomping pub after pub? It's not like they are going to magically coalesce into good competition when the right people join.

I feel like instead of balancing the teams in the same instance (which doesn't happen vs a premade, you just just keep getting curbstomped), a better system would be to keep the pub team intact, but jump to a different opponent team based on win/loss history -- weighted like hearthstone arena. Essentially, I want to keep playing with the same people for more than one map. It sucks getting in sync with someone and suddenly they are your opponent.

Eventually, the good teams would find each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

I want a mode that's just 6v6 non-stop team deathmatch that respawns players immediately, sort of like Quake.

New brawl: Antarctica with health and armor packs in key locations. Pharah, soldier and reaper only, No ults, no jumpjets.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I'm going from 30+ms input lag to ~4ms published later today. Is this something I'm going to notice if I'm kinda bad at FPSs anyway?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I figured he was shorthanding that.

Nah, just 30... It was a 2010 model dell IPS monitor. Upgrading to a Acer Predator XB271HU since the price dropped on newegg.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Aim at the objective, but you'll only say attack it if an icon comes up around the objective, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

I think you'll notice it but in the sense of things will just seem slightly quicker. Nothing huge, but it's nice

Sweet! So now I get to be a GM Mcree.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I'm surprised to hear people say Orisa's damage can be ignored. I play at a pretty low skill level, but regularly have gold damage and elims with her on payload defense. Just track and lead the squishiest enemy and whoever happens to get in your way, gets in your way. Healers usually melt away. Roadhogs are so easy to hit they are lucky to get to cover before they go down. As long as she is focusing fire, she is contributing like a discount soldier.

Staying alive vs opponents that know how to approach her is a different story. You have to switch off if you are getting wrecked.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

gold damage doesn't mean anything. damage includes anything done to barriers and orisa can spam them for ages before needing to reload

gold elims doesn't mean anything. that counts any assist, and with orisa's damage being so low most of her kills are probably like ~10% damage assists at best

don't rely on medals to prove a point because they lie to you. d.va is similar to orisa in this instance because she can spam poo poo damage forever, racking up damage and participation trophies assist eliminations. that doesn't mean either the d.va or the orisa is actually helping do anything beyond padding their own stats

Shooting at barriers is a good thing and everyone should be doing it. Getting maximum kill participation is a good thing and everyone should be doing it. If Orisa is able just to max out just those two things that you play down, I'm cool with it.

I still don't get it though. In 3v3, she solo mows down Roadhogs so fast. You just need a fair amount of headshots. She'll kill a bastion before he kills her with a shield and fortify up. Maybe Im delusional.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

One nice thing about Orisa vs other tanks, is that she can leave her shield up protecting the front while turning to deal with a flanker. You can use Halt like a mcree grenade and line up headshots while they are rubberbanding over.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't know if this would/should come into their consideration, but he was really unbalanced in elimination modes. Maybe they have plans to expand that mode out of arcade one day. Right now he seems just a little better than average there.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ana needs someone to already be out of position, has a long cooldown, can't solo kill most people with a combo, wastes her escape ablility if she wants to try to combo someone in a duel. Oh yeah -- and has to aim her sleep on like a .5 second delay.

She needs a functional team to perform. Sleep isn't much of a problem, but it is great for putting down a diving Winston or maybe you'll get lucky and nab a flanker.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Regarding CS:GO, I don't see how It could be considered satisfying from a "sport" or spectator perspective to watch someone put a pixel on tiny pixel of head sticking around a crate at lightning speed. There is no back and forth. there is no reacting or recovering. There is just one superfast motion like an old west shootout. The rest is crouching around a flat map.

I don't mean this as a troll post. I'm just staying I can see why Overwatch wants to take it another direction.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

csgo is one of the most popular esports on twitch, frequently dwarfing league tournaments so this is just wrong maybe...?

I am plenty aware of where CS:GO is on the ESports scale. There is no way that is the best thing the gaming industry can come up with. Big companies like blizzard need to try other directions and see what sticks.

edit: for the record I am not even slightly interested in how fast someone's reaction time is or how quickly they can move their reticle onto an exposed pixel.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 13, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

A lot of people have said that what they enjoy seeing in a game or what they enjoy doing is: lifting a the team up with a great play and being a hero and carrying a the team on their shoulders. I think the main reason overwatch doesn't feel like it has this is because it's MMR matching is pretty accurate and you are probably playing with/against people of similar skill (even though your gut tells you that these jerkasses all suck and are holding you back). It is pretty unsatisfying having a 51% win rate all the time and the only difference you can observe is a little number and incremental changes in the quality of people you play with.

All that said, I think the game is worlds better without flickshot masters crapping on everyone.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why would you play PvP games if you don't want to measure yourself against other people and let skill shine through? Like what kind of hosed up crab bucket mentality is that? People gotta stop evaluating these mechanics from the position of "I will never be the one who's good or gets to do the cool thing."

Anyways matchmaking and carry potential aren't really the same thing at all. Matchmaking doesn't stop you from being "on" or not from one moment to the next, matchmaking doesn't mean you won't be the one who gets a good read on your opponent or a match on your best map or whatever.

One of the Overwatch devs actually talked about this when they were debunking some of the misconceptions about matchmaking, although their focus was more on why close-rated games can still be total blowouts.

I like everything you said.

I was just trying to speak to the people that want overwatch to be CS or those that ragequit because they lose a couple of games and can't control the outcome by themselves: Chill out and play the team game and be a cartoon gorillla.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like that Torb shaming is at an all time low. I picked him in comp yesterday, took no poo poo for it, and dominated some 2cp. Everyone is coming clean about their closet torbiness.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Maybe at your SR. At mine, he is an unstoppable dynamo on Anubis.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm pretty tired of the constant racial slurs and poo poo. You'd think if a wordfilter exists that can identify strings of characters, that an insta-report or auto-suspension would be child's play, but every goddamn comp and QP game for me recently has had at least one argument between two complete shitheads hurling epithets at each other.

They already do so much data mining and machine learning. Why not just have a toxicity ranking, send out warnings, then suspensions, then bans?

Maybe having a reputation for being too sterile/utopian/distopian would be net negative for their bottom line.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't think it's supposed to be a grind. It's supposed to be a "here's how you rate."

Getting consistently better at something generally takes a long time, and that is what rating is about. It's not like a poker bankroll with a lot of variance or having a hot run at a craps table. It's not about preference or what feels good.

If matching works correctly, moving up in rank should happen at around a 51-55% win rate. That shouldn't change until you plateau and then it should seek 50%.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My point is that "shooting up in rank" is not the point of the game of Overwatch. Winning a match against similar opponents is the point. Your rank just tells you where you are. It should be pretty consistent, and hopefully you get better at the game over time and it will go up slowly.

I'm not saying it really works this well all the time, but I think it's the intention.

Edit: I guess people have an assumption that "my ranking is obviously too low, and the game is making me grind to get the number to where it should be"

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I would like it if you could activate her right click suction by clicking again. So it activates when it makes impact, but you could activate it before then if you want to pull someone to a different place.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Armacham posted:

I thought it already does that

Hah! shows how much i play her. (only random heros).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I play a lot of 3v3... I think it's my favorite mode. I always pick for composition and to win.

I think some of the best combos are:

Pharah, Mercy, (hog or dva)

winston , zen, (genji or hanzo or soldier)

lucio, (reaper or doomfist), dva

A good tracer wrecks poo poo, but composition doesn't matter with her.

Going Zen and any two ranged DPS is always strong IF they are good at their role, but that is practically impossible in 3v3 random matchups. That said, I always go zen when they go 2 snipers.

If your team sucks, go surprise bastion, soldier or hog and try to do it all yourself.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I punched a Genji the second he was done with his ult call out and he made a crater in the wall and I was happy.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

One tip I've found on lucioball is to hit W a lot when you are ulting. It lets you get perspective and lunge at the ball. I'm bad about ever hitting W.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Duck and Cover posted:

Have you ever heard a game called Rocket League?

Rocket league doesn't give you grilldad skin.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah my downswing came after a few ounces of whiskey, but it wasn't me I swear! there was nothing I could do to stop the onslaught.

Also, the 2500 range is full of people that say "NO GET OUT OF GOALIE" after someone gets scored on once. Then they proceed to get stomped. They don't realize that they did well at keeper once because of good midfield control.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

regular comp isn't swingy enough. They probably turned off "grind mode" for lucioball comp since it's a time limited event

Or things swing because the ranking engine has no idea what the entire population's rank should be and the average is moving rapidly as people get better.

Regular comp is 95% static except the average moves slowly up as mediocre players get better and bad players leave (this means your rating gets worse if you don't keep up).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

mmr is supposed to start swingy and gradually get less so as confidence increases. Confidence and mmr should decay daily or weekly to ensure users don't get stuck for too long in unfair matches when they're having a particularly good/bad day. Blizzard has a "SR" system that slowly lerps you towards your internal mmr to increase the number of matches you have to play, and also have no confidence decay. There's a pseudo "mmr decay" above diamond, but it only adjusts your SR. I've taken several long breaks from comp and every time I return after "decaying" I still get matched up against masters.

The way I see it is you made your MMR number when the average player was worse. When return to comp from a long break, you are getting whooped by people you consider below your level. This is because the rating is a relative scale, and you have become relatively worse compared to an average player. It takes a while for MMR to adjust down, so you are still getting weird matchups.

I say this because I'm in the same boat on a smaller scale.

(Edited for clarity)

headcase fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The point is that there is no grind to get your magical arbitrary number "back to where it should be." Blizzard isn't artificially making it it slow to force you to play more games.

The only grind is getting better at winning games and beating better opponents no matter what your allies are like.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I always interpreted the lerping to be based on your individual contribution to that match. How much of the load you carried. If it's purely just trying to seek some more stable MMR, that makes comp feel so pointless. Hopefully at least your MMR would also seek you SR when there is distance between them.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

mmr is supposed to start swingy and gradually get less so as confidence increases. Confidence and mmr should decay daily or weekly to ensure users don't get stuck for too long in unfair matches when they're having a particularly good/bad day. Blizzard has a "SR" system that slowly lerps you towards your internal mmr to increase the number of matches you have to play, and also have no confidence decay. There's a pseudo "mmr decay" above diamond, but it only adjusts your SR. I've taken several long breaks from comp and every time I return after "decaying" I still get matched up against masters.

This is blowing my mind. I found the blue post that talks about it. So all I have to do is put in a normal effort and win 50% of my games and ill stabilize at some point after 20 or 30 games. Right now wins give me 50 and losses give me -15-20. This is because I've done nothing but qualify for 3 seasons. I guess I see the grind you are talking about. Its a grind to get back to the point where you can meaningfully change your MMR though gameplay improvement.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Boomfoot

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

If you take any game to it's extreme top level, it no longer resembles the fun thing that people like to do. I assume that is why the word "meta" even exists. There is a pedantic metagame on top of the actual rules engine in which people compete at the optimal level. Competitive hot dog eating is a good example for comparison. Can you really consider shoving waterlogged hotdogs down your throat eating?

I think it makes sense for Kaplan to speak to the gold/plat level and let the rest sort itself out. The metagame will emerge from whatever rules are put in place at the median level of play.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In good games, the extreme top level is itself fun and good. In fact, a competitive game where top level play turns into a mess is, by definition, degenerate.

Agreed, but is it not fun at that level currently? I'm just saying that there will always be an optimal way to play. It makes sense to set the rules at platinum and let people optimize. There will always be 6 best picks. Let's just be glad it's not a stationary bastion behind 3 layers of shields.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

berenzen posted:

When people talk about a metagame, they aren't talking about solo-queue, or they barely touch on it. That's because solo queue doesn't matter because there's such a wide variety in skill in any given game that it's impossible to balance for it, particularly when you're talking about low level players. One person could be in plat because their game sense is poo poo, another could have godly game sense but poor positioning, and a third person could have really good positioning and game sense, but their mechanical skill is lower than the other two. So which person are you balancing around in your hypothetical 'balance around plat' strategy?

That is not what you are balancing? Maybe one of those attributes rises in rank and others don't. I don't get your point.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

His point is that players at the level Blizzard ostensibly wants to balance the game around have so much variance in their grasp of even basic fundamental gameplay mechanics that it's extremely difficult if not outright impossible to separate meaningful data about how over/undertuned something is from the constant background noise of people simply being bad in a variety of ways, from poor gamesense to bad positioning to poor aim. Looking at gold/plat doesn't give you any useful insights into things like character balance because that level of play is the one where Symmetra is still capable of terrorizing people because their aim/positioning/whatever is bad enough that they can't effectively deal with the jumping Indian lady and her laser chainsaw. As soon as you reach a level where hitting a target whose only defensive capability is "jumping on a predictable trajectory" is no longer considered an exceptional feat, her ability to run rampant drops sharply, but if Blizzard took the word of gold/plat players to heart Symmetra should be nerfed into the ground.

The second point, springing off the first, is that balance changes tuned around bad players become degenerate once they filter up to more skillful levels of play. In the hypothetical example of a Symmetra tuned around the average gold/plat level, nerfing her might make players at that level feel better but it would mean that the character was so laughably undertuned that she would never see a single iota of play beyond that level because she's already a situational, niche pick at best in higher ranks. Pharah is another good example of a character that dunks on bad players but sees less use the higher you rise in ranks to the point where she actually winds up being sort of a niche pick herself (less so than Symmetra), and balancing her around low level play would essentially remove her from higher level play altogether. There's a flipside to this as well, such as the Bastion rework where Blizzard wound up making the character more frustrating at lower levels of play (passive DR, healing while mobile) but higher level players largely shrugged after the initial 24 hours of hype because he's still a big, immobile target in an environment where people can aim and coordinate.

tl;dr balancing around bad players A). doesn't, and never will, address the most fundamental problem they face which is their own lack of skill (and their willingness to blame their losses on everything but that) and B). generally winds up making the game worse for everybody else, including bad players who aspire to become better.

Balance around making the game fun for people who are trying to have fun. The high end is going to make themselves miserable no matter what. If there is even a .01% difference between effectiveness, it will get found and the better of the two comps will get chosen.

The point is for a few people to be really good at the thing that the masses are doing. The point is not for the masses to be really bad at the perfectly balanced wonderland of the top 500, and struggling to deal with the ubertorb that is a result of that idea.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

So, everyone.

Contrary to popular thought, people who try to be good at games usually have fun playing them.

I wouldn't argue that point, but they generally don't say "I'm going to go with junkrat today because he nice change of pace and i don't really care if it's an optimal pick." In any game played at a high level, the min/max matters and only one choice is the right choice. Why worry about it?

In general, I like blizzard's method of shaking up the roster and seeing what sticks. Let the meta figure it out after that. That's all I'm trying to say.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

berenzen posted:

Actually, known pro-player Harbleu commonly will play junkrat at high-level play because he likes having fun with the trash-rat. More often than not, top-500 play is just as memey as anywhere else, except people generally don't get as mad when they pick those heroes because there's the expectation that they're good at them.

So what is this discussion about? Balance is good at all levels. All players are pickable if you are good at them. We're all having fun. Jeff has done it once again! (Except that everyone is butthurt about Roadhog)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Sorry I was just tired of the "jeff is sucking the life out of us" meme. I don't mean to be a basement troll. My point is that it's all good and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I predict that a DVA flying at a 200hp with guns blazing and a boop and maybe a melee is going to be very deadly. Maybe too much so.