Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I want to play a VR game where I am a wizard and:
  • I use my hands to perform magic gestures (motion capture)
  • I say magic words (voice recognition)
  • I literally meditate to regenerate mana (EKG headset)
As far as I can tell all this tech already exists. How many have been combined into an actual game though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Node posted:

What happens to the players with an attention deficit disorder? Do they never regain mana?
You let the player fidget instead.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Alternatively you could have a game that supports VR and non-VR players in the same game, possibly in different roles.

Elite Dangerous comes to mind.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

What's the current status on omni directional treadmills? Is anyone bringing one to market?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Exioce posted:

Omni-directional treadmills are a great solution for the locomotion problem. Unfortunately, no-one has space in their homes so there's no way they'll ever become a mass-market consumer product and therefore cheap and advanced enough for plebs like myself. I guess we're going to have to wait till our brains are jacked into a computer to have full presence.
People with walking VR setups already have to make space for that, the treadmill could probably just fit there.

Besides, some people still put actual treadmills in their home. Or entire home gym setups. This is about the same size, and might even hit a similar market mindset (notice all the quasi-fitness VR apps we've been discussing)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I'm remembering Red Planet from "Virtual World" as a child and wondering if there is anything like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPMK4L_Qv4 (Featured: Weird Al, Cheech, everything 90s as gently caress)

Basically I'm looking for racing games that aren't cars.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

homeless snail posted:

Engineering is really the only station that has any kinda depth to it tbh, there's kind of an art to getting everyone the power they need and rerouting power around stuff that's about to catch on fire. Helm and tactical you can master in about 30 seconds.

Its not really a game you play for depth though, all the buttons and systems are really just a pretense for forcing people to yell at each other about Star Trek.
They really did learn from Artemis

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I bought a Vive bridge crew bundle but the code it came with didn't mention anything about how to unlock bridge crew - just the two standard apps in their store. Is there someplace obvious I should be looking?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Truga posted:

Try activating it either on steam or uplay?
Activating what though? The only code they gave me is on a card in the box for the vive store thing, and when I did that it gave me two codes neither of which were for bridge crew.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Rectus posted:

HTC has been sending codes by email in the past, so check your spam folder.
This was it. Thanks!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Lemming posted:

You better cast the shouts by actually shouting
This is certainly possible. Even with third party voice software already. But it'd be so awesome to be in the base game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My VR room was initially a nice living room with an elaborate wall decoration incorporating lots of fancy mirrors.

I now have them covered with masking paper like some sort of crazy person.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

GhostDog posted:

Bought a third Oculus sensor and tracking was worse than before with 2 sensors at opposite corners of the room. With 2 there was some light occlusion, with 3 the occlusion was gone but it jumped ever so often. Until I noticed the 3rd sensor giving tracking warnings and started to experiment. For some reason it only works on one out of 6 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard. Doesn't even matter which devices are connected to all the other ports, just that one single port does it. Weird.
My best guess is that you are overwhelming your USB chipset, apparently many of them are quite terrible and can't deal with more than one device running at the rated speed. Or sometime even one device.

Is it an ASMedia USB chipset, by chance? A lot of people have reported problems with them on Oculus/Vive (such as constantly losing tracking).

Easiest remedy is to buy a PCI card with a few USB ports on it. Though you need to make sure that too doesn't have an ASMedia chipset.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you haven't already opt in to the SteamVR beta to get the new home.

I have thrown so much virtual trash in virtual national parks it's amazing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Any tips for cat management? They have an awkward habit of laying down in my VR space.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

honda whisperer posted:

I heard a great one tonight

"If you exercise in VR... You exercise in real life"
Sup Honda, this was from me. Though to be fair I first heard it from a coworker after I told him I was sore from playing sound boxing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Reminds me of https://i.imgur.com/eD0JGvE_d.jpg

Honestly I use audioshield/soundboxing as a workout routine. My dog would probably rather me go on a walk but damnit, I need to hit bubbles in cyberspace!

For the non-tiny version

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

In soundboxing is there a way to recalibrate/recenter it? I had my girlfriend play and she literally cannot reach some of the orbs flying overhead.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

D1E posted:

Get a taller girlfriend.

Kidding.

It supports rescaling: https://steamcommunity.com/app/517130/discussions/0/133262738415865204/
How do I do that though? I couldn't find it in the menus.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

PerrineClostermann posted:

After playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" with my friend via Skype, I decided to get it on Daydream with my Google survey bucks. Have yet to play it, but the menu seems solid. Is it the same as other VR versions? I can't imagine much in the way of differences.
It's fully the same game, all that differs is how you click on things.

peter gabriel posted:

It's me, I'm the spinning sprite that ruins VR
You can watch a video of a Fireplace on a flatscreen TV in VR now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC46nUxa3BU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

homeless snail posted:

October is spooky month, and I'm gonna put my spooky ghost helmet on, for it
And then play Fallout 4 VR

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

There's a Vive + Nvidia Gtx 1070 + Fallout 4 VR bundle now for 800 dollars: https://www.vive.com/us/nvidia-gtx-1070-vive-bundle/

And also 600 dollars without the video card

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Hopefully Skyrim VR will have a way of shouting into the headset mic to actually cast the dragon shouts.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Chadzok posted:

SteamVR settings, under audio, ‘Mirror Audio’ to your speakers. Use your windows volume control to adjust the speaker volume, going into the properties of each playback device should give you a unique volume control under ‘levels’.
An even better way is to have the PC speakers have their own physical volume control and power button. That way you can always mirror and be in VR, and a passerby can decide they want to observe and turn on the speakers or adjust the volume.

You can even have the display off until your guests turn it on -- if Steam is running, picking up the headset and turning on a controller will jump you right into VR.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

But I cant imagine playing for an extended time even being in shape. Hour maybe tops? Theres no way I'd get the 3-5 hour play sessions in if I had to run in place though.
In the future "VR gamers" will be the only fit people left.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stick100 posted:

I think there are some Black Friday deals at $600 for the Vive + Strap + Fallout 4 VR.
Can you provide link? HTC's site seems to not have the strap included currently: https://www.vive.com/us/fallout4-vr/

edit: did some searching and it seems it's a Nov 24 through 27 deal, so the above link will probably change on Friday. Save 100 bucks, don't buy until Friday folks!

Example article: https://uploadvr.com/black-friday-htc-vive-audio-strap-fallout/

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Seashell Salesman posted:

For people using gun stocks-- how do you switch between single handed and two-handed while playing? Do you just do everything with your controllers fixed in the stocks, apart from one another? How would stuff like reloading work in H3VR?
I imagine like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48iO6e8oDU&t=75s

Earlier in the video you can see the guy reloading by just removing the rear controller and putting it back.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

Is the Google Daydream worthwhile for anything?
It's good enough for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

With the availability of classic maps in Doom VR I'd like to remind everyone that Bill Gates was already inside Doom after launching Windows 95:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36PA6SUpIWg

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Tide posted:

So whats the play report on Fallout 4 VR?
Bethesda released a tutorial video with plot spoilers in it, so it's off to a good start.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My protube arrived today and I cannot for the life of me figure out the bipod attachment. The only video I can find is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48iO6e8oDU&t=36s and from that it looks like converting it from parallel to perpendicular should be a simple flick from one position to another (doable in-game), but even putting a fairly serious amount of force on it isn't causing it to budge. On the flip side, it looks like it wiggles upward slightly. Is it possible it was assembled backwards or am I missing something obvious?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

rage-saq posted:

Get on the goon VR discord and I can probably help you out. https://discord.gg/pAknQB
Got any pics of your setup?
I figured it out, the screws up top are actually little levers that unlock the rotation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fallout 4 available for preload now

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

The Steam reviews for F04 are pretty amusing...
The guy who thought he was a dwarf might have been in comfort crouch mode (Grip button on left controller). This is so you don't have to physically crouch all the time to do all the sneaking in game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Note that you probably don't want to play FO4 VR on survival difficulty. Losing progress due to not saving is far more frustrating when that progress also involves physical labor.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Less Fat Luke posted:

Apparently this is doing the trick for some people in regards to blurriness:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7j6u06/fallout_4_vr_looks_absolutely_horrid_no/dr44vvg/
This helped, as did upping the supersampling. My computer was approximately the "min requirements" but I was still able to raise supersampling a bunch on Fallout 4

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

People always give Bethesda games a pass for being incredibly broken and it literally gets worse every time they put out a new one
December Game Syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially if it got delayed from November.

If you have the patience to wait about 8 months to play a December game patches have usually finished by then.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bethesda didn't fix a huge number of quest and game breaking glitches for the Skyrim rereleases, why would this be any different?
I didn't really follow Skyrim but Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4 all came out in November and had their final patch in the following summer. I expect something similar here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

rage-saq posted:

Vive controller batteries last for like 6-8 hours. A fresh set of AA (get rechargables) in the touch controllers last for like 40. Plus the touch controllers can swap them out in about 10 seconds vs an hour or so recharge on the vive. Most cases the Vive battery life shouldn't cause a problem but the touch solution is far better and I hope valve learns that with the knuckles and anyone else who is making a future 6dof motion controller.
What I want most is controllers I can easily put on a charging dock without having to plug them in. Wireless charging would be ideal.

6-8 hours of battery life is more than enough if I can be bothered to get them recharging whenever I'm not using them.