Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm on board the VR train by way of Oculus Rift. I got the headset today and the controllers are coming tommorow, but holy poo poo the two games I currently have (Elite Dangerous and Thumper) are multitudes more amazing now. Can't overstate how convincing the sheer scale of things are in VR, and watching the missus have an absolute balls to the wall freakout about the dinosaur in Dreamscapes was amazing to watch. Dying to play Superhot.

Experiencing minor queasiness here and there, and wearing my glasses is a bitch and a half because they feel slightly too wide for the headset and tend to get steamy occasionally, but I can see well enough without them on. It's such a trip. I was struggling to get past the pricepoint and the knowledge that it's early tech and the library of games is still small, but everytime I watched someone play something in VR I desperately wanted to be at the helm instead of them and trying one of the ghetto mobile phone VR sets was more than enough to sell me on the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gorn is the sequel to Die By The Sword my 7 year old self would've murdered to play. Holy poo poo slicing and dicing a dude up with a sword is so satisfying. Really makes you work for your punches too but maybe a little too hard, I'm terrified of acutally hitting something.

Completed Superhot VR and had a riot the entire way, wish there was an easier way to replay the campaign seamlessly other than deleting the save because I want to show EVERYONE this.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 4, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ApathyGifted posted:

The best weapon in Gorn is your enemies. Unless there's a version that fixed this, you can pick them up and sling them around like any other object. Just go full Hulk and use them to bat each other out of the arena.

It can get boring pretty fast because it makes the difficulty trivial but you can always opt to not do it if you want more challenge.

I love playing this game "seriously", aiming swings and parrying weapons, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to pin an enemy down and beat them to a bloodied pulp without worry of retaliation.

Just had a VR party, showed all my friends Superhot and Gorn and they absolutely fell in love with it. It was amazing to see one of my friends load up Superhot and within a couple of seconds of learning the controls just go absolutely to town on the enemies, not missing a single shot in practically real time - the room was basically roaring with joy. Pricepoint is obviously too high for them to consider taking part themselves but I don't think there was a single moment of boredom at all.

Checking out some more games for my list, Arizonia Sunshine seems to be The Hot VR Game at the moment - can anygoon vouch for it? Very tempted as I have about £40 on STEAM, but I don't want to make a big purchase if a bunch of smaller ones might be better.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Aphex- posted:

Yeah calling Arizona Sunshine a dumpster fire is a bit much. Fair enough if you don't like it but it's a well made game. Picking out issues of realism because of where you find ammo is a little silly.

I was kind of wary about picking the game up because the trailers made the player character seem insufferable, but he's actually more likable than I expected him to be. Grabbing ammo from cupboards and cars feels really good and the reload mechanics are as complicated as they need to be imo, any more and dealing with zombies would be a chore.

I'm actually kind of struggling on normal difficulty to deal with the amount of zombies that come at you in a horde, with standing controls it's extremely clunky to teleport around with so many enemies about and even if you've been harvesting ammo it generally never feels like quite enough when you need to spray everyone down, but there's also little time for finesse. I'll probably reduce the difficulty to easy as restarting time and again kills the pacing.

If I had a major complaint it'd be with the characters propensity for "tutorial talk". You know, constantly pointing out what the player needs to do to advance. It's super grating and feels very condescending, wish there was an option that just let you hear quips. I also would like a way to drop guns so I can go bare handed, but that's just for spergy MY IMMERSION reasons.

It's not a triple A title by any means, but it has a lot of heart and it's nice to have a narrative and places to explore in between your shooting sections. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more when they introduce the new locomotion system, teleporting just isn't ideal for fast swarming enemies.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Even though I don't have the full range of sensors on my Rift, I've had an amazing time with H3VR despite the fact that I can't really access most of its features. Loading, reloading and unloading all the weapons feels goddamn amazing and I'll never stop feeling like a badass when racking a shotgun. I do seem to have a really annoying issue where I can't seem to interact with many of the gun's additional features: I can pick up and load magazines, pull the slide and charging handles on weapons, even adjust sights, but I can't seem to remove attachments, drop magazines on some of the assault rifles or turn on attachments. Whichever controller I'm using just doesn't seem to want to interact. I don't know if I'm missing something but on the tutorial videos it doesn't look like the developer is doing anything more complicated than just grabbing things.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Helter Skelter posted:

The H3VR controls are notoriously obtuse. For many guns you have to grab the magazine and then click the touchpad/stick to remove them. Attachments can be removed/repositioned by grabbing them and then pulling the stick down and clicking (as if you were dropping the magazine on a pistol). Attachments like lights/lasers are toggled on/off by grabbing them and then clicking the stick while pushing up.

Excellent, this filled in all the gaps I needed to know. What a great little sandbox, the presence of the guns is absolutely spot on.

Bought Audioshield and that game is amazing fun! As a fan of Audiosurf I had high expectations and this game met all of them, worked up a sweat playing it for about three hours straight. The translation of your music to a beat sheet is very solid and slapping the music around feels super satisfying, kind of wish there were some subtle impact noises like Audiosurf has that you can turn off if desired.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All I know is that there's a hell of a rewarding feeling when you transform from someone who fumbles with a pump-action shotgun, glacially trying load shells into it which spiral off into the distance, to your inevitable decline into a crazy gun nut, flipping shells into the open chamber of his wacky revolver shotgun thing before spinning the chamber and slamming it shut like a badass.

For someone who likes the mechanics of guns but not the actual idea of possessing or firing any in a real life capacity this game is just great. A lot of making your own fun, but I can't resist booting it up despite the fact I have a lot more fully featured actual games to play.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As time goes on requirements for VR will probably go down, not up, especially if they want that mass market appeal the industry desperately needs. SLI has never really been necessary or factored into most things, I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember that futureproofing has always been a fool's errand, technology can change so quickly that there's no guarantee a flash computer will fare that much better than a solid midrange one.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Approaching the last stretch of Arizona Sunshine and the game has really grown on me. While there's a fair amount of jank and rough edges, it feels really good to play a VR game that actually has some structure and progression. As I mentioned before, the protagonist isn't as irritating as the trailers make him come across and can actually be kind of funny sometimes, though the writing isn't exactly anything special and sometimes a little cringeworthy. The teleporting movement/rotation mechanic is good enough for traversal but completely garbage for combat, but once you get used to the reload mechanics and moving your hands to your waist to switch weapons around, the combat can actually feel really rewarding when it all clicks. Zombies blow apart in a satisfying manner, they spawn with different outfits and properties that force you to switch up your combat style (Fast/slow zombies, body armour, growths, helmets etc) and the weapons themselves are varied enough that you can eventually find a loadout you can rely on for the rest of the game.

It's worth stating that people looking for a super serious zombie survival game will be disappointed, and the lack of any interaction outside of blasting zombies and some light lever pulling is a constant sticking point. You'll get to certain quiet points in the game where you'll go into a building and will naturally start looking for signs of habitation or objects to pick up and examine for worldbuilding reasons, but the devs must not have thought that this was important because other than a couple of placable objects that are repeated throughout the game, there's rarely anything unique to see other than a new weapon. The game does lack a lot of the polish you're probably used to in non-VR games, but after getting past a particularly frustrating zombie horde segment in the caves (I needed to aim better and kneecap problematic zombies so I could kill them later) I've really enjoyed everything I've played in it. It's got heart and it's a pretty tantalising look into the potential that bigger budget games have to offer.

The first team who makes a game which is less combat oriented and instead tells a great zombie apocalypse story through the other strengths of VR, such as sense of place and atmosphere, are going to be critically applauded. There are lots of places in Arizona Sunshine that actually have quite a lot of atmosphere (The caves are great for this) but without the finer details, the world can't help but feel a little flat. But as far as VR shooters go, the extra meat on its bones from having a full campaign you progress through makes it feel a lot more valuable as an experience as opposed to the glut of wave based shooters that are available.

(And for anyone's whose arms are aching from holding the torch up at the weird shoulder level in the caves, try holding it like this instead. Feels much more comfortable that way, and it works! Just avoid pressing the grip button by accident so your gun gets switched around.)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo the VR mod for Doom 3 BFG edition is actually really good. I'm not the biggest fan of Doom 3 as a game but there's a lot to be said for actually being there and getting to aim and fire the weapons yourself.

Also a super cheap way to have a full length game to play :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I gotta give props to ZombieFight VR. Not because it's a good or interesting game, not that I have any desire to play a zombie wave shooter or not because it does anything new. No, I just need to shout out its excellent description on the store.

quote:

This is a real experience, the screen realistic, operating fever-level exciting, slightly terrorist elements VR shooting game.

Isn't that just wonderful? :allears:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Any experience with GTA5 VR mods, such as they are? I've heard that there's some that track your controllers but I'm not sure what mods they are or how reliable they are. Non-teleport locomotion would be a plus too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Time for my Valuable Videogame Opinion Rundown after a month of VR! I'm using the Rift and currently don't have full 360 tracking, so I'll mention what locomotion styles I'm using while playing:

Climbey:
(5 hours played)

Way better than I expected it to be. Graphically simplistic but extremely tense time trial climbing, there's a demo available to try before you buy. The controls take a while to get used to and it's not tutorialised very well, jumping from a standing position will feel like a crapshoot until you get adjusted to it but once you've gotten a feel for what you should be doing, it can feel extremely natural and nailing a run feels absolutely exhilarating. Nailing what feels like an insurmountable leap from one handhold to another over a chasm or launching yourself from one building to another feels amazing every time, but sometimes the controls might seem a little less accurate than you need when it comes to flinging yourself about.

Do not play this under a ceiling light! I've not broken mine, but I've met it more times than I anticipated. I got very good at flinging myself vertically rather than reaching for handholds for this reason. The game includes a "click stick and turn" option for front facing users, and while it's not ideal given how travelling smoothly between handholds is the idea of the game, it's adequate enough to let you complete any level of the game.

The longevity of the game comes from the user made levels, some of which are utterly fantastic, Assassin Simulator being a favourite of mine, but be warned that many of the user made levels may expect you to perform weird engine tricks, have an extremely strong grasp of the controls, or will be unreasonably tough about giving you safe places to place checkpoints. Generally you'll get one out of the three each time. The Buncollection series of levels are fun intermediate courses worth reccomending. I've only played this singleplayer.

Superhot VR:
(Approx 6 hours played)

I loved Superhot PC and this game translates it into VR brilliantly. I've played it several times over from the beginning and still find myself hopping in and blasting through my favourite levels when I just want some fun, straightforward shooting action that makes you feel like an utter badass. Throw, shoot and dodge poo poo in slow motion, this is generally the first game I introduce people to when they're new to VR because it's impossible not to feel like the biggest dicked motherfucker when you play this game. It can get very challenging very fast, but due to the nature of the game you're pretty much in charge of deciding how difficult the game gets since the faster you move, the faster the game moves. While replay value seems limited initially, there's a fair few ways to keep the game fresh such as seeing how quickly you can do things and trying gimmick runs like thrown items only. Front facing with no real reason to turn around, but lots of ducking and matrix dodging to enjoy.

Gorn:
(Approx 4 - 5 hours played)

I can't wait for this to be a real, full game, which the developer seems to have every intention of making happen. An absolute crowd pleaser for VR outsiders, while this is mostly a tech demo it's incredibly loving fun and satisfying and from what I've seen, probably the best melee combat in VR so far. Bash buff soft-body physics dudes around, accompanied with hilarious gore and some extremely satisfying physical combat. The two handed weapons are kind of finnicky to use, but once you get the hang of them they're incredibly destructive. Each weapon feels unique and fun to use and bashing seven shades of poo poo out of a derpy dude is intensely therapeutic. No need for locomotion so meatspace property destruction can remain at a safe minimum, the guys come to you and only rarely do they ever wind up behind you. Cannot reccomend enough. If I've had a bad day at work, this fixes it.

Ripcoil:
(Approx 2 hours played)

Fun enough but lacks depth, the only game I've played online so far. 1 on 1 Pong/Frisbee game. The real reason to play this game is for its unique locomotion, which has you stand on one spot but uses your left/right head tilt to move a hoverboard from side to side. This will totally gently caress up anyone who plays it and the result is hilarious to watch. Every single person I've fed into this game, including me, wound up utterly weirded out by it. By no means is it a bad experience (Though I wouldn't recommend it for people prone to severe motion sickness), it's just super trippy at first until you get used to it. Online matches are relatively short and fun, and make for great spectator sport, but there's no variance in arenas or hazards other than walls you can bounce the frisbee off and an extra mechanic where you can punch it for a huge boost to its speed.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades:
(9 hours played)

Initially I refunded this game after a few minutes play because there's a big reliance on roomscale and 360 tracking in order to access all its features, but the couple of minutes I spent with it was enough to make me feel terrible about my decision, which convinced me to pick it back up again and take a better look at it. Essentially a mostly objectiveless series of differently themed shooting galleries, this game features real guns that feel absolutely incredible to play around with. Beautifully modeled and textured with lots of moving parts, you'll feel like a complete badass loading and firing every gun and it's hard not to want to try them all. The dev seems pretty on the ball with constant updates to the game and is adding new locomotion features for front-facing users, but even without it I've managed to use the existing teleport tool and force grab function to get what I want, when I want it.

The biggest issue with this game is the completely opaque controls and heavy assumption that you have a basic idea of how firearms work. This generally isn't something that a new player can grab and grasp within a couple of minutes as many of the guns behave differently and there's a steep learning curve until you're completely familiar with all the weapons and options on offer. There's a bunch of videos on the developers Youtube channel to get you started, but once you get over the initial hump and have a good idea of how to operate a range of weapons, you can lose a lot of time just relaxing and plinking targets, trying out wacky ammo, skeet shooting and running through a house shooting cardboard hotdogs. This game swallows time like it's candy.

Doom 3 BFG VR Mod
(4 hours played)

Doom 3 is a game I've tried time and again over the years and never particularly enjoyed. If you told me that in 2017 it'd be one of my favourite experiences so far, I'd have rolled my eyes. It's really, really good in VR and having a game that's more than just a two hour experience is incredibly valuable. Given that you can get the BFG edition for about £5, it's absolutely worth picking it up and having a go. The dark atmosphere and the surprisingly good sound design (Ignoring everyone's beefs about the weapons - personally I think they're fine) really give you a sense of place.

The mod is simple enough to install and get up and running, and there's a whole slew of console commands to set your controls as you desire them and adjust character height, laser pointer visibility and so on. Despite a few rough edges with the interface and weapon models that can easily be forgiven considering how well this all works, Doom 3 really comes into its own when the ball gets rolling. I play with stick based forwards/back and rotation, but by default the controls are forward/back only. This form of locomotion can be rough for people with motion sickness, but can be mitigated by shifting on the spot as you travel. Considering you probably already look like a moron in VR, this isn't such a bad tradeoff.

In terms of actual gameplay, VR lends a lot to the game. You can peer around corners, your left hand is dedicated to an independent flashlight which lets you check the darker corners of the room while your weapon hand is free, and you can crouch down behind cover and lean around/over to shoot at possessed security. Many enemies that are kind of corny on the PC can be loving terrfying in VR, and the sense of scale on some of the creatures (Particularly Pinky demons) makes them incredibly intimidating. You're still dealing with the more tedious elements of Doom 3's game design such as monster closets and enemies teleporting in from behind you, but I'd be lying if I didn't have a few moments that caught me off guard and made me yell until the sky turned blue. This is my current go-to game if I want something meatier to play.

Arizona Sunshine:
(7 hours played)

One of the current "big" VR releases, mainly hinging on the fact it has a fully featured campaign alongside its horde mode. The campaign lasts about 5 hours, which I completed and started over. It's a fun enough experience and I enjoyed my time with it, but outside of shooting zombies and some light puzzle solving I couldn't escape the feeling they should've gone a lot harder with the world design and incidental interactions. You can rifle through cupboards, drawers and cars, but rarely for anything other than an objective McGuffin or some ammo. I'd have liked to have notes to read, more machines to manipulate, more reasons to poke around other than just to arm myself up again in between zombie rushes.

The gunplay is satisfying and there's a nice amount of variance in zombie design, with different features and speeds present, and weapon handling and ammo management straddles a nice line between arcadey and realistic, but getting accustomed to the game and its mechanics will most likely require you to suffer through a couple of deaths that can feel unfair. Zombie hordes, which are present during a couple of times in the campaign, can quickly become overwhelming when coupled with the reload mechanics and general sparsity of ammo during the earlier encounters, coupled with some frustrating limitations to locomotion and unpleasant walling off of places that make sense for the player to head to tactically. This is on the normal difficulty and halfway through the game I was tempted to go down to Easy, but I stuck it out. The teleport locomotion allows you to set rotation when you place it, which felt good enough for a while but towards the end of the game I was wishing for stick based movement and rotation.

Your character is regularly voiced, and I was prepared to get tired of it quickly but somehow never did, despite the lack of quality in the writing. There's a lot of "tutorial talk" with your character pointing out what he's supposed to do next, which can become kind of overbearing, but they do enough with him that he's actually kind of interesting to listen to at key points in the game. There is a danger of mild memery in the dialogue. There were some occasional graphical glitches, the loadtimes can be frustratingly long and it feels very rushed towards the end, but I'd say that overall it was a worthwhile experience. I'd suggest picking it up when it's a bit cheaper unless you really need a campaign to play through.

Audioshield:
(13 hours played)

Being a huge fan of Audiosurf I knew I'd like this game as soon as I saw it, and I wasn't wrong. Easy to play, great crowd pleaser, and absorbs time like a... time... sponge. Bop your music in its stupid face, work up a sweat doing so, feel great about it. Its interface is pretty garbage and feels very "developer graphic" to me, and I wish there was a local scoreboard and a way to make playlists, but otherwise you can have a ton of fun moving along to your music and swatting all the parts of it you love. Wish there was a workshop for environments, but it's pretty hard not to feel amazing when you battle through a 9-minute long epic. You'll be knackered by the end of it but it might actually count as mild cardio if you really get into it. If you like music and the idea of smacking it about, I highly reccomend it and pretty much anyone can play it.

These are the main games I've been playing, along with a little tooling around in Medium, Quill and some forays into Space Pirate Trainer when I want to cut all the chaff and just have a solid shooting gallery. I also use Bigscreen for long videos as it means I'm completely immersed in watching them, and having a screen that seems a shitload bigger than my monitor, despite the obvious loss of fidelity, is super awesome. I want to try some online games such as Dead and Buried and Rec Room at some point, but can't help but be nervous going into social situations in VR - it feels a shitload more personal than regular online gaming and I already get anxious doing that kind of stuff. For now, I've been having an immense time in VR and I just can't bring myself to sit in front of a monitor and play games currently.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 23, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arizona Sunshine feels much nicer with sliding locomotion. Backpedaling while reloading your left gun is all but impossible and don't expect to be circlestrafing around zombie hordes, the stamina system is pretty punishing, but for world traversal it feels a lot more natural and gives a better sense of place than the teleporting did. They even have different rotation options for front-facing players :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Regarding the Rift + Touch, has anyone tried two sensors, one front and one behind? How's the tracking with that setup? I love playing in VR but I think I'd finally like to have a 360 standing experience rather than front facing, so if I can just buy a USB extension cable without a third sensor and get a functional experience then I'd do that.

If a third sensor is the optimal route I'll wind up going that way. I love that devs are making concessions to front facing players and the vast majority of the games I play work just splendidly in that format, but it's hard not to get carried away and turn yourself around as it's the natural thing to do.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bought a 3 meter USB 3.0 extension for my second Rift sensor and put it on a cupboard behind me, 360 tracking works practically flawlessly. If it does clip, it's practically imperceptible in the middle of the action. Feels great to be able to scamper around buildings in Climbey without needing to stop and fidget with the sticks, can't wait to try other games with it later :)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

rage-saq posted:

Try Raw Data or Onward. A lot of games don't put you in situations where you'll get occlusion and so you can get by with 2 sensor roomscale or 3 sensor room scale.
3 sensor roomscale works 98% for my setup, ceiling mounted and in corners, but the one corner without a sensor has issues if I'm crouching or pointing down and my body occludes one of my hands. The larger distance of my play area probably exacerbates the issue a bit, its about 9ft x 11ft, definitely pushes the sensor range to the limits.
I've got a 4th sensor arriving tomorrow that should solve that problem because its annoying being so close to perfection.

Bullet Sorrow has a lot of turning and crouching in many directions, and while there was some occlusion occuring when I turned to the right and crouched it wasn't enough to render the game unplayable. I am working with a fairly small playspace though (About 7ft long by 5ft wide) so my cameras don't have a lot of ground to cover.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

haveblue posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised there haven't been any prank videos yet where someone has a headset slipped onto them while asleep and wakes up somewhere virtual.

I don't think you could slip either of the HMDs on someone while they're sleeping unless they got hit with horse tranquilisers first

Also I'll put together another bunch of VR reviews soon but goddamn am I really loving Sairento right now

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

eonwe posted:

hotdogs horsehose and hand grenades is still my fav game

I like to chill and plink things with a gun and maybe throw a bottle at something

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

GlyphGryph posted:

New Gorn update is out, apparently.

It's a bit weird and unfinished though.

It's basically an update to the old version to include some of the features from the current closed beta, such as being able to rip limbs off with your hands, a knockout visual on enemies, new graphics and some new weapons. There's some new locomotion that allows you to click your stick in and then move the controller behind you to move forwards.

The rapier is great fun providing the game gives you the right enemies to use it on (You won't survive well with it against four armoured guys). Nothing quite like shanking someone in the chest to immobilise them and then sweeping their head clean off with a mace to quickly end a fight. 1v1 against an armoured opponent when the game gives you only a rapier to use on them is pretty awesome too, lots of dodging and waiting for the right moment to strike.

The dev's improved the two handed weapons, the warhammer is a lot easier to use now and really sends enemies flying. He's also included a greatflail which is hilarious fun to use.

From what I've seen the closed beta has a lot more "game" to it, such as purchasing weapons for your next fight, different locomotion methods and so on. I really can't wait for this to be a full game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Poetic Justice posted:

On reddit people were freaking out about the Rift tracking skipping when doing slow 360 circles in Quill. Oculus are rolling out a patch 1.12 that seems to have fixed the major issues people have had.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5vyy4d/112_alpha_oculus_medium_tracking_performance/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79zQ37L-IM

So if you've had problems, this update looks to fix them!

This is super groovy, I wonder if this'll help any with the right hand controller going squirrely after constant intense use. Anyone else experience that? It drifts or flies away when you've been moving it particularly rigorously, taking the battery out and putting it back in solves it pretty much instantly though.

I wonder if it's a driver thing or a mechanical issue. It only happens for me after 20 or 30 minutes of Audioshield, really, so it's not a huge issue, but given that Audioshield is one of my favourite games it can get irritating.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gorn, H3VR and Audioshield dominate my motion VR time, and I've gotten deep into Elite: Dangerous for hours at a time, especially in conjunction with Open VR overlay giving me a cinema screen in my ship to watch movies on.

GORN is just plain satisfying and I'm still utterly shocked no other VR game to date handles melee as well as it does. Despite the wacky flailing men having fairly routine AI, there's still tons of necessity to perform dynamic combat moves such as parrying, blocking and dodging while manuvering for that one perfect attack. For a relatively simple and limited demo (I'm not in the closed beta) it's incredibly repayable and fun.

I'm actively waiting for PCVR support to come to Resident Evil 7, as much as I want to play the game I'd much rather have my first time in VR and I've heard it's a hell of a ride.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can vouch for Diner Duo, me and ~*my girlfriend*~ play it occasionally and it's great fun. The initial levels can be a little tepid, especially if you're playing as waiter on the PC, but when the action ramps up and the serving robot has more plates to spin it's intense on both ends.

Yelling "THERE'S NO KETCHUP ON THIS BURGER WHERE'S THE KETCHUP THE BURGER IS RUINED, RUINED!" at her while she's desperately trying to stop burgers from burning on the grill is great fun, and in the game as well

Also I spent 10 minutes slicing a gherkin onto a plate until I had made a sixteen foot tall gherkin sword and used it to bat a ball around that was beyond my reach while she begged me to stop

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Robo Recall solves the question of "What reload system works best in an action game?" by giving you infinite new york reloads so you can just pull out an endless stream of guns like some sort of ballistic magician. Defeat enemies by throwing guns at them!

Easily one of the most fun and polished shooters currently out. I love how good everything feels and being able to tear robots apart by hand is brutal. I especially like holding them down on the floor and shooting them in the face point blank oh god I'm a horrible person please stop me

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man I am enjoying the gently caress out of Robo Recall. I know it's fairly limited in scope but that's besides the point when replaying a level over and over to get all the stars is so addictive. I can't wait for them to fix the 360 camera setup nonsense because man what a weird design flaw to have, but ignoring getting turned around every other teleport the game is just so satisfying. Ripping off robot heads until your meter is full, grabbing drones out of the air, melting robots with them and then bashing your useless frenemies together until they explode feels amazing. It's essentially a sequel to Bulletstorm or a first person Bayonetta-like and I'm having a great time bowling robots over with other robots before executing them gangsta style and mic-dropping my infinite guns onto their robo-corpses. robo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Borderlands VR When?

One of the upgrades for an initially relatively useless gun in Robo Recall makes it explode when thrown :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
While my tracking with 2 sensors in 360 mode isn't perfect, it's a poo poo-ton better with 1.2 and it's easily the best it's ever been prior to it. I'll take an occasional handoff twitch for the excellent tracking it otherwise offers, I haven't had a single example of my hands vanishing into the horizon yet since the patch landed.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Movement in VR is one of those cases where nobody will ever come to a consensus about the best way to move because there's no objectively right answer. I really have to pity devs because the best way to deal with the debate is to give your players as many options as possible.

I tend to play all VR shooters with stick-based walking locomotion if they offer it, otherwise I wind up frustrated with the sluggish pace and the need to fumble around with the teleportation mechanics in the thick of combat. Robo Recall is actually the first FPS in a while where I've felt that they really nailed teleportation based combat as it gives you enough leeway with the slow motion to really think about what you're doing, and the action gets so frenetic that teleporting instantly can be a great help.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It just got the free update as well so there's a bunch of ways to play it, not sure if they're only available after you've played the game normally but I love Endless mode.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I won't be immersed in VR unless people drive bullets slowly into my cranium while I play Superhot

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bought Soundboxing while it's on the cheap because I've ran Audioshield into the ground with some 20 hours on the clock.

The conclusion I've come to is that some people who make these custom maps are contortionists who can move at twice the speed of a regular man, either that or my goony arse is getting real old. I think it might be the latter :smith:

Dancing to bespoken music maps is awesome and feels great, but as one of those guys who listens to a lot of obscure stuff it's a shame not to have any auto generated stuff. I've got two games that do both styles great though, so I'm pretty well off in the Flailing Like A Moron While Thinking You're A Dancing God genre

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I found AS to be really enjoyable, but the horde sections are easily the least favourite moments of the game for me and I wish they'd have gone a more freeform exploration/investigation route instead. There were so many times I wanted to interact with the environment or find something to examine but they rely heavily on a couple of props that you can't do much with.

The horde sections can be infuriating because navigating is suicide but staying still relies heavily on you being able to quickly and reliably dispatch an incredible amount of zombies when your ammo count is surprisingly limited and being hit at all is very punishing. It doesn't feel balanced well for solo players at all.

E: Hyped for FO4VR, as much as I hate the voiced protagonist the idea of a fully featured VR Bethesda game is exciting as hell. Will be at least worth it for the power armour/Deathclaw moment at the beginning at least.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 17, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just installed the latest Doom 3 VR mod (Alpha 21) and I swear running around flailing my hysterical eldritch noodle arms on my wacky full body avatar is the best loving thing in the world. Bonus points that the game defaulted to a weird remote control movement thing so I could watch my dude run off into the middle distance waving his arms in the sky

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Did I read earlier in this thread that a goon did the Soundboxing beat map for BFG Division? If so, thank you kindgoon, it was a blast!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

peter gabriel posted:

So just as a bit of fun what are people's top three things in VR? Nothing heavy, just maybe inspiration for others

No particular order:

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades:
It's a gun range in the comfort of your own home without having to pay for the bullets. The weapon modelling is superb, the guns feel great to use and the different environments are lovely and give you a bunch of things to do. The dev is always working on this game and I think it's probably the best chillout game of the lot. If I don't have much going on then chances are I'll spend an hour or two plinking targets or seeing what crazy attachments I can fit onto a weapon.

Elite: Dangerous:
A few months back I had a three week holiday and basically fell into a hole. I used an external program to put a giant screen in the passenger side of my spaceship to watch videos on while cruising through space, trading. It was a great way to catch up with things I had missed while making hours literally evaporate before me. The sense of scale is incredible, you really feel like you're flying a huge space truck and the sound design really keeps you immersed.

DOOM 3 VR Mod:
On the flatscreen, DOOM 3 was a game I wanted to like more than I ever actually did. I was a kid when it came out in 2004 and it scared the crap out of me so I never really got far in it, but when I came back to play it I thought it was a monster-closet filled yawnfest with laughable jumpscares so I kind of bounced right off it. Cut to the present day and finding out about the VR mod, then testing it out from morbid curiosity and holy poo poo it almost feels like this game was designed for technology nobody thought would ever be real. I played about 3/4 of it with the previous version of the mod and the newest version blows it out the water with its tons of options and really neat new PDA system that lets you use it as a touchscreen gadget rather than a fullscreen menu.

The sense of dread is palpable and you can really appreciate the sound design, even the lovely jumpscares work great and the gunplay works really well. It's also super cheap, you can get DOOM 3 BFG for about £5 and that's all you need other than the mod and a high res pack.

Honourable mention goes to GORN, which I've had a ton of fun with but now I'm kind of desperate for a proper retail release with progression and options. I think it's probably the best example of VR melee out there.
Soundboxing is also great and will make you wonder what the gently caress people are like because if they're not 7ft tall and putting the beatmaps on your ceiling, they're flailing around at 900mph like they're having a PCP seizure
Robo Recall has ruined most other VR shooters for me because it's so highly produced, and throwing guns and ripping robots apart with your bare hands is such a cool, visceral feeling.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 3, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Zsinjeh posted:

If they by some magic develop a "Hides Under Your Bed!™" technology

Don't put me out of work

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo Vivecraft is something else. Ignoring the fact they've gone the distance with giving you all the options you need to have a fun time in VR by giving you shitloads of options, being in a Minecraft world that's actually to scale gave me one of those "Holy poo poo, what" moments that makes VR so worth it.

I jumped on one of the servers me and my friends put hours into and exploring our town as though I was actually in it was something else. What a feeling.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arizona Sunshine's weakest point by far are the horde sections, particularly the mine one. Even with locomotion, you're just not agile enough to really be on the move and the reload mechanics and relative sparsity of ammo can be a real pain. I had to redo the mine sequence some 10 times or so before I got it nailed down, they feel balanced for co-op play but not for solo.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hoooargh GORN just needs to get on STEAM already. I love what I've seen of the new features so far in the videos and gifs and I want to jump back in but man I've run the demo into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wilson's Heart worth grabbing? My missus loves horror stuff and the 1940's aesthetic seems cool.