Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For anyone else in Australia who doesn't want to be taken advantage of, its incredibly easy to get a lower price on the oculus store. Connect to a VPN, restart home, and thats it.

... Just don't forget to turn off your vpn and then wonder why its taking you 7 hours to download edge of nowhere :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh, man, edge of nowhere is so good, so very good. I finally took my headset off after playing it for 3-4 hours straight. It was genuinely spooking me out without resorting to a bunch of jump scares or crap. So far its definitely been worth the 40 bucks easy, especially when stuff like the climb (which admittedly I do like a lot, its just short.) is $50.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

Chronos and Edge of Nowhere has made me love my rift. No motion sickness in EoN at all. And i finally have the thing fitted right, so i can play for hours now.

Chronos is just amazing, and i will totally play through it again. EoN is a one time on rails thing, but i still think its worth the 40 $

Even though the internet tells me im not supposed too like Oculus home, i really dig how smooth going from one game to another is. And everything has such nice sounds!

Chronos surprised the hell out of me with how enjoyable it was. VR or not, it was one of the best games I'd played in years. So atmospheric and stylish, with a fun combat system. I played it the first time and finished in like my 60's or maybe even 70's, but on the next playthrough I got to the end still in my mid 20's.

Yeah, home is a nice environment, albeit spartan at the moment with a lot of features desperately needed. Still, the once or twice I tried using SteamVR with my rift it was just a hot mess to navigate or do anything with, and it really made me appreciate home all the more.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

I went arcane/block type build and im at the final boss (i guess) he is beating the poo poo out of me so im soon in my 50's, Next playthrough im going all agility, it seems like evade is handier than block. Also im having a ton of fun standing up and playing especially the part in the bookcase

Yeah my first playthrough i really farted up my build, second time through I went almost pure agility since the best weapons to me ended up being the spear and sickle. I actually rushed through to get the spear before coming back to face the first boss, and got the fast experience perk at 20 so I could really level up fast each time I died.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

Wait wait, spear and sickle? First boss? I thought i was near the end. So Cyclops is not the end? Man the guy is going to be old as hell when im done with the game.

Yeah got the xp thing at 20 aswell. I like that i can farm creatures to gain levels and practice muh controller skills before going up against the big guys.

Ahahah, yeah you're not even close to the end, practically the beginning, he's just the very first boss. Chronos is a surprisingly meaty and long game for this early VR period. What I found worked really well was:

1) farming all the monsters every time I died to maximize my levels (though after a point the scrub enemies aren't worth it anymore)
2) once you have the key from the shrunken bookcase adventure you can unlock a door right in the area by the tree, before the elevator to the cyclops area and explore a whole new part of the castle with tougher and more xp giving enemies. This opens up a huge new way to level up each time you die. The other benefit of this is there are more dragon hearts you can get to make the cyclops easier when you finally fight him, and in the first room of this new area of the castle, a dining room, theres a new shield on the wall you can grab. You can keep going further and further down this path to new areas without having to fight the cyclops yet, but I won't spoil more of it.
3) I put the vast bulk of my points into agility, but still blocked 90% of the time. The dodging just got me hit too often, but with a beefier shield you can block almost anything and then just counter.
4) Don't waste any points period, like at all, into arcane until you're like in your 40's or even 50's. When you're young it take a lot of points to level up arcane, but the strength and agility are cheap as chips. Once you get old its really slow and hard to level up any strength or agility, but arcane gets cheaper. Also this is personal preference but I favored the magic that makes you invulnerable briefly. I could have that charged up before fighting a boss (or even a tough room), and when the boss gets to their 3rd stage (they all seem to have 3 stages where they get tougher with more attacks each time) you can really unleash some damage they can't do anything about.
5) Memorize the attack patterns of all the various monsters (duh)
6) Learn to love the spear... the range it gives you is just, oh ho ho so nice.

Honestly it sounds like you're making the same mistake I did the first time, I just kept getting my rear end kicked by the first boss over and over and by the time I finally beat him I was in my 50's and since I was an old lady I could now put poo poo all into strength or agility anymore. I would suggest you just restart. You can get back to the point you're at pretty quick, and my second time around I beat that son of a bitch at like age 21, with better equipment and more health potion things.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

I don't know if this is really true. Theres enough stuff out that I'm still waiting to finish several games, and have others I haven't even touched yet. Between Elite, the euro/american truck games, project cars, chronos, pinball fX, adrift, the climb, ethan carter, lucky's tale, farlands, technolust, esper2, herobound, blaze rush, edge of nowhere, and a bunch of games and other smaller experiences I'm forgetting, there's a lot thats kept me busy since I got my headset. Granted I don't play videogames hours and hours per day, but I haven't gotten bored with VR yet, feeling like there's nothing to play/I've played everything.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tweak posted:

well it is the coolest drat thing, though

I've been desperate to own a VR headset since seeing the VFX1 and other first gen PC VR kits in magazines in the mid 90's and it doesn't disappoint :D

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

There's stuff to try out but not much that's like super incredible or amazing that you can spend hours and hours in, barring some of the sim stuff. Like I played Lucky's Tale for a while but I'm not going to be loading it up to play regularly or anything. Stuff like Chronos is legit great but is only 10-12 hours most likely, and once you beat it, it's over, and it'll still be there once there's more stuff released.

Like there are a few experiences that are really cool but once you try those out but once you've done them the most fun thing is to show it off to other people so they can experience it too. There's simply not much to do, yet. I've personally been spending most of my time recently playing Overwatch on Bigscreen, which is pretty sweet (having a fake giant screen) but probably not worht $600 or $800 to anyone who isn't a crazy person.

I guess this is where it's more personal on how much you game. I played Chronos for weeks with 2 runs, I only just finished expert on every mountain in the climb, and I've barely had a chance to get into adrift, or ethan carter at all yet. Pinball I'll play often for a quick fix here and there, elite and euro/american truck sim will suck you in, lucky's tail took a while to 100%, and Farlands I'll come back to every few days and play for a little bit too. So far edge of nowhere has grabbed me like mad and I've played like, 4 hours just in one day. Its kept me busy, with a lot of things still unplayed even, for almost 2 months now. All this is the most I've gamed in years as well, so at least personally, I can easily say this ongoing well, thats still not dry for me, has been easily worth the 600 bucks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm glad I started following this thread - its made me feel a lot more confident about my Oculus order which is hopefully arriving this week.

I have zero room for roomscale and am really only looking to play seated cockpit/driving games (Euro Truck Simulator mainly). Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Anyway I've gone from considering cancelling my order to being quite excited for it!

If you haven't played in VR before you're in for a treat. Euro/American truck sim is one of the most fantastic things in VR. As someone who loves driving long distances in real life, there are times I've been so satisfied and in a trance while driving down a highway at night with some light rain and the radio playing that for just a split second I'll start to reach for the AC vents or radio knobs before my brain clicks in to remind me its fake.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just finished Edge of Nowhere and oh man it was great. I could nitpick stuff about it here and there, but it was heart pumping and had my attention from start to finish. I just want more from insomniac now, a sequel or something else set in the same world, because I finished it 15 minutes ago and I want to replay it from the start already.

No ones tastes are ever the same, but I still think its a mistake to miss this one if you have a rift.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh man, InCell is :barf: for me. It looks neat but man is it ever dizzying. At least it was free.

Yeah, something is seriously warped or hosed up with InCell's rendering. I can barely look at it for 5 minutes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kazy posted:

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Before you play around with them too much, can you test out for us how fast the touch controllers you received can get mailed to me?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do they pull that off? Maybe you can't give details but for the HMDs currently on the market you'd have put tiny cameras or something in the faceplate to pick up the bits of face that are totally obscured, right? Unless you could sort of extrapolate from the expression on the uncovered portion of the face

It could be something along the lines of what oculus was playing around with a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgKkEnaaSDc

Theres a camera for the mouth and lower stuff, but they have sensors in the lining of the foam that can read the way the rest of your face moves.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ShadowMoo posted:

That is a lot of sensors and cameras just to track facial expressions. Unlikely to come out anytime soon like that. And having to stay in front of the camera to see the mouth seems like it would be a pain.

I could pretty easily envision it for gen 2 though, the sensors built into the foam lining would be easy enough it seems, and if the camera system can be integrated onto the bottom of the HMD, miniaturized as nothing more than a little nub that can see your lower face.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/star-trek-actors-series-vr-game-spin-39780072

Neat, looks like they'll be revealing more tomorrow.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DrBox posted:

Has anyone tried this "Destinations Workshop Tools" on steam? It says it has Rift and gamepad support, but when I run it, SteamVR comes up and then nothing else happens.

SteamVR is really janky, it took me several tries to get steamVR to even bring up the menu inside of the launcher since none of the buttons worked. Essentially though what you have to do is launch steamVR first, then from within that bring up you list of games pressing the start or select button (or some combination or something, honestly I had to press enter on my keyboard to finally get it to bring up any menu) and then select destinations. If you try to launch it just from your desktop steam list it doesn't want to work.

Edit: That said, destinations was kind of neat, it was cool to walk around on the surface of mars and see the size of the rover.

Edit 2: If people want to see some more stuff like that and haven't checked it out already, look up 'sketchfab VR', its on steam and oculus home. They've got some boring stuff in it, but the photogramawhatsit capture they have of several locations are the reason to check it out. They're all really nicely presented.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DrBox posted:

Edit2: Sketchfab needs a Vive controller and for some reason loaded up upside-down so that was vomit inducing.

Download it in oculus home. It works perfect from there at least, I never tried the steam version.

DrBox posted:

In VR-legs related news: I managed to play a full round of Eve Valkyrie for the first time without feeling like I was going to throw up. I still don't feel 100% comfortable but it's getting better. Too bad the game itself is super mediocre. Those menus are terrible.

Play the arena combat in Elite Dangerous instead :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

It's hilarious to think about Zenimax going 'oh gently caress Oculus' and pushing the first real-deal AAA games for VR with HTC and the Vive. Might have already been a thing because I imagine Valve and Bethesda are real buddy-buddy with how many sales Steam shifts toward them but Carmack jumping ship galvanizing the mood in that direction is totally what is happening, owns.

But yeah, so we get to see what a AAA title in VR is going to be like. Might be the worst thing ever because Bethesda but I suppose we aren't going to be getting EA to do it first so vOv

Theres already been games, and games announced from big AAA places like ubisoft, insomniac, EA for VR. I'd argue we've already seen a real deal AAA game in edge of nowhere. Besides I'm sure whatever neat thing Bethesda does in vr its either going to be another small experience, or awkwardly hacked in support to an existing game. I'm as excited as anyone to play it, but lets not pretend Bethesda is making a 50 million dollar VR game to come out next year.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

Fallout 4 is a huge deal if it's "Fallout 4 plus VR" done in-house by Bethesda. Edge of Nowhere is probably cool but it is not a AAA game in the sense of sales, exposure and reach of the brand compared to Fallout. Especially Fallout 4. They announced it with "Pip boy on your arm, gun in your hand and dog at your side" along with 'first person' so it's definitely going to be ~the~ VR experience. Whether it is some sort of custom-tailored experience within the Fallout 4 universe or the game + VR remains to be seen but seeing what a studio that has the budget and game design chops (laughable as Bethesda can be) is pretty exciting. The plus side is you can play it on the Oculus too because openVR! Isn't that great?
More games are cool and Fallout 4 is pretty popular and I personally like it quite a bit so I'm super excited. Seems like you guys are all being downers for the sake of being downers but what do I know?

edit
just watched the announcement again and they straight-up say 'Play Fallout 4' and talk about combat and exploring the wasteland. Sounds like it's really just Fallout 4 with VR. And motion controls.

I don't think anyone is a downer, I'd love to play through fallout in VR and I'll buy whatever this is day one if it looks well done, but in the end we're not looking at a game built from the ground up for VR, we're looking at VR support hacked onto a game that came out a year ago. It isn't like hacking in support for VR in something that works straightforward like a driving game, or flight, or space sim either. I'm skeptical of almost anyone bringing an existing game that was developed for 2D with a lineage of gameplay decisions and refinement going back 15 years into VR well.

I'm not saying they can't do it, and like I said I'll be first in line to blast people with laser guns and use a pipboy on my wrist, but I'm just relatively cautious.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I hope when I jam fistful after fistful of drugs down my gullet in order to become the perfect killing machine my interpretation of the world becomes appropriately hosed

Finally! Video games can simulate with perfect accuracy getting drunk to the point of vomiting all over!

El Grillo posted:

I'd assume they're using the wands and roomscale, but standing is bad for using conventional movement mechanics right? Will be interesting to see what they do, my money's on the touchpad being used as a movement control stick.

For what its worth, conventional movement mechanics work wonderfully while standing. I played through technolust, and ethan carter like that and it works really well if you turn your body instead of turning with the controller, and basically just use forward and backwards movement. I had zero discomfort at all and it was a great compromise I thought between sitting and getting a little woozy playing like a traditional FPS, and the limitations and awkwardness of teleporting everywhere. I actually think fallout 4 could be very playable like that, as far as movement goes, and I'd hate to teleport everywhere in a game thats all about wandering and exploring.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 13, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty excited about Giant Cop and I Expect You to DIe. I played the demo of the latter months ago on DK2 and it was pretty awesome just with a mouse. Also, I was joking when I said that Valve's big VR game would be Ricochet 2, but it looks like that Ripcoil is game is going to be similar.

I expect you to die was one of those demos that blew me away, that I couldn't wait to see more of.... until I almost forgot about it through the passage of time, like that vox machine game. Its nice there's enough cool stuff coming out that I can't keep track of all of it anymore. Back in the DK2 days there was basically your handful of demos that everyone knew about. Its really crazy how far all this VR stuff has come in just a few years.

wolrah posted:

In non-Bethesda news, OSVR announced their version 2.0 headset: https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/13/osvr-hacker-development-kit-2/

Basically they upgraded the display to modern VR spec, 2160x1200 OLED @ 90Hz, and bumped the price up $100 to $399. I definitely want to try one of these things, on paper it's a less-polished Rift at 2/3 the price, it'll be interesting to see how close it actually is in real life.

I still don't know what their aim is here? Yeah its cheap, but for that cheap you can't use the oculus store without a 3rd party hack that doesn't work for everything and could break, and theres no controllers so you can't play any touch/vive games anyways. On top of that unless they've completely changed up their camera tracking (which who knows they might), It's going to have a tiny DK2 level of tracking so you won't even be able to stand and walk around like you can with the vive/oculus even if stem ever comes out to give you controlers.

Like, great that they're making more options available, but it hardly seems like much of an option at all from what I've seen so far from this one and from the first.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ryan_woody posted:

I'm surprised they didn't pimp Dead and Buried harder in this press release. I played it at PAX East and it was a loving blast. In other news, I just got my Rift today and am working through EVE, Lucky's Tale, and Elite Dangerous. I'm considering buying Darknet, Chronos, Airmech Command, Defense Grid, and Keep Talking. Should I pass on any of these?

You should look at Edge of nowhere as well, that game along with chronos are two of the best.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am going to say this, gently caress VR Star Wars Exclusives on a sub par VR Platform.

For years we have been wanting a sequal or hell, just (and I mean just) a Graphically Updated Tie Fighter ( X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance would be good too) and now that VR is here, one with VR as well.

We've seen how good space is in VR. Could you imagine Multiplayer in VR with a modern X-Wing VS Tie Fighter!?!?

But no. We're stuck with beautiful but arcade Star Wars crap since the original Xbox launched and Lucasarts has not put out another sim worth a dam since.

*End VR Rant* :argh:

If theres one video game company I truly miss, it's LucasArts. They used to lay nothing but golden egg after golden egg of unique, well done, amazing games. Then the 2000's happened and they became nothing more than a clearing house that slapped star wars labels on any crappy game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

It looks cool but requiring 4x3 meters kind of kills it for me.

Ah, I see they're going for the coveted "Alienating 95.6% of users of an already tiny player base". A smart move!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

I just find it hilarious that one of the things that the conspiracy theorists screamed about right when it was announced Facebook was buying Oculus is coming true 100%. It was taken for granted that the :tinfoil: idiots were just freaking out about nothing, but to see that all come true, and then Giant Cop full-on going exclusive (timed or not) in an about-face and now the whole Serious Sam thing. Just lmao forever at the whole thing being totally true.

If it makes you feel better, giant cop always looked really lovely :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

look at that new star trak game with levar & company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8

I'm really excited to see how this ends up.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 14, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Yeah it looks sick as hell. I get to be the captain though.

You know, i was thinking about it and... what does the captain really do? I'm curious how they'll make him useful as a captain and not just another minigame to play. I mean he can give orders all he wants but if you were playing with a bunch of random people online and the captain sucked, why wouldn't you just listen to the helmsman, or engineer as the weapons officer? The only way I'm thinking it works is if the captain is the only one who has access to all the data, or special data about whats going on that no other station can access so you'll *have* to listen to your captain because he knows things you don't.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping they can avoid. I want someone playing as the captain, giving me an order, to actually mean something and not just be fluff that I can ignore to do my own thing. Something like... what was that old FPS mod where like, you could play as different classes and one was the 'commander' or something, and they had an RTS type view of the game so if they gave you an order to move somewhere, it was probably for a good reason and you should follow?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

one, two, three, four, five, six, sev- ah crap, I lost count of the lens flairs... time to start over.
One, two...

Katana Gomai posted:

Realpost why would you buy a Rift over either of the other two? Doubly so after yesterday

Well, personally I can say I like the headset better, the touch controllers look better than the vive wands to me, I don't even have more that a few feet of room so giant 4x4m or larger spaces are right out, I wasn't really looking forward to using steam's janky VR menu full time, and I liked the look of a lot of the oculus games that I wouldn't/won't be able to play with a vive. As far as the games, I've been right so far, most of them are some of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in years. Plus I'll still get to play all the games already out on steam that are steamVR anyways.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lucid Dream posted:

Absolutely, I can't speak for everyone but I know how hard it is to make/fund a game so I don't blame the developers one bit. I blame Oculus for giving them an offer that they can't refuse.

I think this is all getting a bit melodramatic, they offered a tiny dev a bunch of money to keep the lights on, and let them keep making games in the future no matter how this game performs once it hits. They didn't threatened to put a drill through their kneecaps or something.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lucid Dream posted:

Absolutely melodramatic, but Oculus is absolutely still making them an offer that they can't/won't refuse regardless of the historical/pop-culture use of the phrase. The Croteam folks mentioned that it was super hard for them to turn down the Oculus money, and they are a big studio with existing popular IP compared to the indies that Oculus is going around and locking down.

I don't know, I know its sure annoying as hell when you can't use something for exclusivity reasons, but at the same time its hard for me to see all this as bad, and I'm sure none of the devs do. My brother and a team of friends worked hard for a good while to put out a well done little game on all the mobile platforms (and as of this month on steam too, buy your copy today!!), and like most it didn't really earn them a lot of money. If someone offered them a sack of cash to make it just for one device, they'd all be working on game #2, right now instead of still at their day jobs. So, yeah its hard to really see anything oculus is doing as bad when its helping out developers to keep making the next thing, at the expense of some players not getting to play it for a few months.

EDIT:

Truga posted:

You'd say the same when suddenly half games only worked on a samsung monitor right? Or a radeon GPU? Or, worse, a razer keyboard?

A peripheral is a peripheral, just because Facebook doesn't want it to be doesn't change that.

Your monitor or keyboard doesn't require it's own unique massively optimized software stack and well designed games just to function, let alone function well and give you a good experience.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 14, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lucid Dream posted:

For me at least it is an ideological issue, and my worry about the future of the VR paradigm as a whole. If I could choose between losing out on a few launch-window games in exchange for no exclusives on PC for the remainder of the future of VR... Well it isn't a hard choice.

Well, I respect your opinion friend, but thats where we part ways.

EDIT:

Lucid Dream posted:

Edit: Right now we have 3 major VR headset manufacturers, and only one of them is locking out everyone else from their store, which stacks the deck in their favor in a way that manipulates people into buying their headset based on factors other than the quality of the headset itself.

Can this really be said with a straight face? Only one? Sony is letting all their psvr games be released cross platform?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 14, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

This is all just some market strategist's idea of how to get a foothold into a market that valve is dominating. They are trying to get people locked into their store. Mostly people who aren't heavily invested in steam. I wouldn't mind so much if they would just let other hardware use their store as well. I don't know if they plan to make money with the next gen rift or not, but I'd figure the real money is in running a storefront. They'd make more money and be the target of less hate if they let vive users use the store.

Anti oculus people would have less of a leg to stand on with "they are buying up all the games" with "yeah but you can use your vive on their store." You'd think they would want all the good will they could get after how this year is going. Unless they think they can get away with marketing to all the people who aren't already ingrained in the VR community.

I think the problem is they really really don't want to just have a wrapper for steamVR work with their store. The moment they do that every single cheap horrible Chinese clone manufacturer's stuttering 60hz crap factory that works on steamVR and is coming out in a rush next year, will be able to use the oculus store and at that moment they've lost all quality control.

Now, whether this means they actually will work with other quality headset manufacturers to add native OVR support, or they stick to trying to be Apple remains to be seen. Its certainly clear that valve has no intention of letting the vive ever consider native OVR support though, even if oculus (for the sake of argument) wants to. It seems obvious though why they aren't going with the wrapper, and I can't really fault them for wanted to keep an experience thats airtight end to end up. Even personally I try using steamVR and its just finicky and janky and it crashes all the time, games don't load right, and just is a total mess. Compare to home, which while severely lacking in features currently, has been a flawless user experience thats never once crashed, always works and always works perfectly. Maybe steamVR works perfectly with a vive though, but that just reinforces the idea of quality control when you just let a wrapper to something you have no control over run wild.

EDIT:

Lucid Dream posted:

Well I edited that out because I didn't think about Sony when I wrote it, but that doesn't change the fact that Oculus is manipulating people into buying their headset with the threat of missing out on some games, its just that Sony is also doing that :v:

Fair enough, it wasn't edited out yet when I quoted it.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well there was the old school Battlezone game (Not the wireframe ones, the Activison Battlezone 1 and 2) which was a good mix of FPS and RTS with some funky AI (especially in 2 unfortunately, though there are some killer mods for that one still).

Then there is Battlefield 2 which had 1 guy sort of elect to be the Commander, and had a good overhead strategy map of the battlefield, can assign orders for squads to attack/defend/etc, and drop air supplies where he sees fit.

With a good one, and a team of non retards that actually followed the orders a bit, you could win pub matches all day. When you got on teams that had a terrible one, or one of the servers that forced the commander to sit in the back and "command" uselessly (there was never a need for the commander to just sit in the back and be useless outside of just staring at a map) then you were pretty much guaranteed to loose.

They removed the commander in all the BF games and Pub matches are always crap ever since. (That and unlocks. The reason Overwatch is so much fun and better is because you don't have to poopsock it from launch day to get ahead and stay competitive to everyone else.)

We will see what they make the Commanders/Captains do as if they do it right, he can be a very useful asset, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

I wish I could remember what game I'm thinking of, it had like aliens vs humans, it was like a class based thing or something that ripped off aliens. The more I picture this star trek game done right, the more excited I get at the idea. And hey, even if its bland, maybe there will be plenty of clones that do it right. How great would it be to have multiplayer battles, crew vs crew, your console exploding into sparks while someone in a red shirt off in the corner falls over dead in a cloud of smoke?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tweak posted:

i think you're thinking of natural selection

Yeah, that looks like the right game, and hey even made a sequel apparently. Thanks!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

They also made a VR-capable game: http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/

I've heard it is kinda motion-sickness inducing.

I'm acquainted with the founder though and he's a super great guy who bases his whole design philosophy on close attention to player feedback, so they're a good developer to support.

Huh, interesting thats the same folks, I've had subnautica forever (and yeah, its a shame how the performance is in VR).

I'm watching a livestream of someone using medium right now and man, thats such an awesome looking piece of software, I can't wait to play around with it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

monkey posted:

I was behind in this thread and expecting a ton of awesome posts about E3 but nope, same old exclusivity BS. :/

So Alienware are making a backpack VR PC as well now: http://www.roadtovr.com/alienware-backpack-pc-virtual-reality-e3-2016

I don't see backpack PCs catching on, mostly due to cost, plus they'll never work on Rift because of the wired tracking setup, but what would be cool as a VR addon would be something similar looking to a tactical vest, with a wireless HDMI receiver, torso tracking via lighthouse or constellation (two different models, I guess) and just a poo poo ton of batteries all over it. What is latency & quality like on WHDI anyway, does anybody know? It supposed to be low, but is it low enough for VR?

Backpack PCs will never catch on because they'll have wireless headsets before long and the number of people between now and then that want to buy a second VR spec computer just to mount in a backpack is minuscule.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

El Grillo posted:

Finally got to try the CV1 last night thanks to my brother getting his before me. Goddamn.
It's probably just being able to check out more and cooler experiences than I have on Vive, which I've only used at official demos (so only SPT and Job Simulator) but there was some seriously mind-blowing poo poo I got to check out on the Rift. For some reason Farlands was really cool (although I was too distracted to work out the mechanics). The visual quality of the aliens and plants was incredible, and I totally get the whole small-scale diorama thing being awesome now - when you shrink the world down, everything for some reason just looks so much more real. And at normal scale, it was so cool just sitting on the ground next to these weird bird things and having them sqwark at me :3:

Elite was great but in VR flaws in the visuals do stand out. Not sure if we were running it at absolutely top settings. I think it could benefit massively from supersampling, on a better GPU.
Does it make any difference if you run it from Home or just on its own? I know they did some wizardry for playing it with Rift but I'm presuming if you launch it standalone instead of from Home that should all kick in anyway?

Lastly, the design of the HMD is just loving great. Can't be forgotten just how awkward strapping one of these things to your face is, but boy did they nail the adjustment and ergonomics. We were swapping it between us all the time, and just a quick grab of the side straps and it's back to a perfect fit.

I have to wait till August for mine :(

Farlands was an awesome surprise at launch, its a fun and engrossing little casual game. I'm hopping they do an update when touch launches, and/or have another unannounced touch surprise like farlands was. I'm curious what visual flaws you were seeing in elite, as thats one of that standout games for presenting itself without anything that looks weirdly flat or textured in VR, for me anyways. Also yeah, whether its launched through home, or on its own its still using the oculus software and is exactly the same experience.

As far as the fitting and adjustments, I'm surprised how many people miss this, so I don't know if you did, but depending on your eyesight you can slide the headset higher or lower on your face to bring it into focus. It really is slick and lets me get away with not needing my glasses in the headset. I don't know what kind of voodoo lets the lenses work like that, while at the same time having pretty much perfect clarity no matter what direction your eyes are looking.

Edit: ^^ I think we'll see something like a gearVR with markerless inside-out tracking and something like those samsung hand controllers before we see any wireless PC headsets. The PC headsets are going to keep pushing resolution and FOV and until that settles down the tech needed to wirelessly transmit that increasing data is going to be a moving target. Or who knows, not me.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

El Grillo posted:

There's a good piece on Kotaku about the exclusives debacle. Glad to see someone calling Oculus out if only mildly.
Plus, the FFXV VR demo is a bit rubbish
and the Batman one is good but will only be about an hour long.

That's definitely part of what I was trying to get at. The background galaxy & stars don't feel like they're 'infinitely' far away from you like in real life - they feel like they're on a plane which is at a definite distance your eyes can detect.

Yeah it feels that way for me too in supercruise, but as soon as I drop to normal space and theres no perceptible movement of the bodies, they loose that feeling despite nothing graphically changing. I think its just the fact that in real life we'd never have the kind of velocities you get in supercruise against objects that large so we just have no frame of reference and it looks wrong.

edit:

Actually, when I think of being on mitterand hollow's surface (the moon that orbits so fast it does a rotation in about 30 seconds or something)and have that sense of scale to work off of while looking at the planet it orbits, even with that fast movement the planet still looks enormous like you'd expect.

VVVV go to mitterand hollow if you haven't, it should thoroughly impress you regardless of any of this.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TomR posted:

In Elite you are literally moving faster than the speed of light by a factor of 100 to 1000 fairly regularly and of course you will never ever get that in real life. There was a game demo/research thing that modeled the effects of moving faster than light and it just looks crazy and doesn't help gameplay at all so I can see why they would leave that out.

Honestly ever since the first time i played elite I wished they had done some subtle colour shifting effect at least as you approach C, or something. It always disappoints me when i see the numbers tick through 0.8c 0.9c 0.99c, 1.0c, and theres just nothing. :( I want a space game version of breaking the sound barrier in a flight sim.