Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yay! New Thread.

Let's see if anyone comes here from the other thread unless it gets closed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Last Poet posted:

A (hopefully) quick question for anyone with a Vive and a Nvidia gfx card, does the headset appear as a connected display based off the port it's connected to ? I can't get the headset to connect (permanent red light) and I'm thinking its bust.

No it isn't detected as a screen at all.

When you have everything connected, what happens once you launch SteamVR from Steam?
Also did you install the Vive software as well? (think that includes most all the software/drivers needed for the Vive to function)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well This is interesting

A Xbox One that the Oculus Rift can run on? Interesting.....

Could that be a tiny part of the reason for the "Walled Garden" of the Oculus Store?...... Naaa.

But interesting nevertheless, and a possibly good reason to get the Rift down the line against the PSVR maybe?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gendal posted:

Been playing with my Rift since it arrived and pretty much every game makes me very mildly nauseous, even games like Defense Grid 2. As long as the camera is stationary it's a very mild sense, and I can actually power through it without repercussions, but eventually I get tired of the feeling and quit playing before I actually want to. Games which do move the camera without me provoke a much greater sense of nausea and will wreck the rest of my day if I don't discontinue the usage immediately.

This is in direct contrast to the Vive, which as long as the camera didn't move without me, never once made me feel even a tiny bit of discomfort from motion sickness.

The Vive headset isn't nearly as comfortable as the Rift in terms of fit and weight, but I will take that over mild motion sickness anyday.

My only theories are that I am usually standing with Vive whereas the Rift is usually sitting and/or the FOV which is a bit greater on the Vive. Framerate is 90fps everytime I check, but I have to peek out of the headset on the monitor to do so. Oculus doesn't have a low framerate warning that I can find.

Fiddle with the IPD adjustment slider a little. I did that the other day when I had some time and moving it a bit to the right seemed to ease up some work on my eyes and didn't affect the clarity much if at all.

It's all about finding the Sweet Spot on the Rift as it is much bigger, but ends up making your eyes work harder if it is off by just a bit it seems.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The AltSpace Reggie Watts event went down like a turd with only like 1 room live with him, and the rest lagging badly as he was "broadcast" to the others. It will be cool once they get the bugs worked out but until then, some of the people I was hanging out with had better jokes and didn't have buffering issues lol.

Also if you got that VR Bundle that was posted earlier this week, most of the games are duds, but I can see Spells N Stuff being a lot of fun with a bunch of players. One hand has you tossing potions for movement which works rather well, and the other is your wand to zap others. Nobody was playing it last night, but if anyone else has it, lets get a game together later this weekend or something.

(If you didn't get it in the bundle though, don't spend $10 on it on steam. It isn't worth that yet at all. If it goes on sale for like $1.99 or something, or they drop some major content patches, then maybe...)

Randomosity posted:

The more I play Eve Valkyrie, the more I like it. Matches are filling up more frequently, and I'm having a handful of "Holy poo poo..." VR moments per play session. Tailing an enemy ship, swinging my head around to track him while navigating my ship through some debris, then having another guy come screaming over my other shoulder.

I got SteamVR set up with my Rift this morning. Most of that content seems lackluster, but I'll check out some indie stuff on there I'm sure.

Have you tried EVE with a Joystick yet? Playing with my X52 is immensely more fun then a Xbox pad. Maybe more for me as I grew up playing flight sims, but I cannot fly or fps on a gamepad like I can with a jstick/kb+mouse.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Could it just be a port of that Ubisoft Flying one where you're a Bird? That would be easy enough to port over to the Xbox if the videos were any example of the graphics detail it delivered (hell they could even push that to Mobile almost. Microsoft's DX12/Vulkan ported to Windows Mobile? lol)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Still sucks hearing about the Rift shipping delays this far out. I enjoy having both as swapping between them depending on what I want to play is pretty easy and they both excel at what they do best currently.

I have still yet to setup the Vive around the Omni yet though. Too freaking busy/tired all the time with life. Adulting sucks sometimes. Also vr with the heat in CA this week is tough. The AC has to run 100% of the time to keep the temp low enough that I don't sweat my rear end off in VR after only 5 minutes unless I play naked or something. (Now that would be interesting to walk in on). "It's exactly what it looks like"...

Also I had a dream where I was on the phone with Gabe Newell last night about something leading up to a job offer, and I somehow hung up on him and the dream didn't have me reconnect with him before I woke up. :argh:

So no Job at Valve working in VR for me it appears. :(

Also if anyone is looking into buying stuff on Newegg, I still have my 4 Friend/Family slots for Newegg Premiere. So if you want free 3 day or less shipping, no restocking fees, etc for a bit, hit me up with your name and email and ill hook you up until you're done with it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am sort of bad for not playing EP 1 or 2 yet, (hell it took me years to beat just HL2 itself).

However considering how long it will be until anything comes out again, maybe it's good that I can go and play them for the first time, and still get the excitement, joy, and disappointment as it's not like anything has come to surpass it really.

Overall I have been waiting until possibly the HL2 VR mod that worked fantastic with the Hydra, gets updated to work on the Vive so I can strap in on the Omni and enjoy HL2 the way it should be played.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly on point.

I have seen a ton of these sort of "unlimited detail Vozel Engine" demo's over the years. They looks Visually...... Impresivish? But the animation always seems like it was created from a Gif, and not a single demo actually looks anything different then just being a demo.

No actual gameplay (or anything that looks close to fun), no traction shown after said presentation, nothing seems to ever happen because if it was soo drat revolutionary and easy, people would use it and there is a reason people don't. (as I am not a developer, I haven't a clue but there must be a reason no a single one has taken off given they have been shown easily a good handful of times over the last 10 years).

Until someone actually makes a full fun game out of one of these engines, and it is really good, it just isn't going to pick up steam.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Whats interesting about the 360 Pictures/Video, is the Google Cardboard Camera seems to take better 360 Pictures that look better in VR (at least on my 6P, HTC 10, and G3) than they look in some of the apps for Rift/Vive. Wonder why that is. Its like Google Cardboard actually does some 3D processing to them even though its a single camera, but all the other VR cameras don't as they don't capture in 3D, just 360, which ends up looking like crap in VR.

In other news, ordered a DP to Mini DP cable for the Vive so I don't have to swap plugs when going from Vive to Rift (not like it was hard, but I want to maximize laziness). Look forward to seeing how SteamVR handles having both headsets plugged in when I launch it. Also threw in Overwatch into that order as the 20% off for the physical copy seems like a good deal and the game keeps getting good reviews.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

I dunno, I was in AltSpaceVR and the Rift owners were articulate cool attractive men and women and the Vive owners communicated by peeing and pooping on the floor and drawing in it.

Most of the Vive owners I saw were using the controllers as dongs and those with Leap motion were helping them relax a bit....

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Being Sick sucks for VR. Having a cold and the sinus pressure from either headset makes playing impossible for more than 5-10 minutes.

However, I did have a cool Interview with my insider HTC guy and hopefully they take some of my insite and run with it, or they just hire me so I can help influence some of the future HTC/Valve VR decisions.
(One big one might be making the Vive Dashboard actually useful for more than Phone Connectivity)

Got a DP cable for the Vive and with both plugged in, it is a crapshoot if thing will pick up one headset or the other.

2 thing I have found constantly so far with both plugged in. (Oculus HDMI / VIVE DP)
- Steam VR always defaults to VIVE
- Pool Nation even launched from within SteamVR with the VIVE will start Oculus Home and try to render to the Oculus instead

Will look for other issues but so far I still have to disconnect one or the other depending on what I want to use I guess.

HotRS is a awesome game but I cannot get it to work with the Rift for any period of time. (I am using the Beta branch so I'm getting updates as fast as he releases them) Launching it from the SteamVR Option (from the 3 choices on the desktop) will just crash Steam (though SteamVR stayed running kind of which was odd).

Starting Steam VR first (with only the Oculus plugged in), then launching the game from the desktop, worked but then after a little while crashed the game + Steam + SteamVR

As my VIVE is in the other room I haven't gotten to try the game with it yet, but until I get past this cold 100% I can wait until it gets patched up a bit more and I feel better playing in VR.

Other games I have tried.

Pool Nation - is awesome and I stink just as bad in Virtual Pool as I do in Real Pool.

Final Approach - is actually really, really good. IT is a VR version of the mobile game in a sense, but it is really well done. The graphics, details, and sense of scale is fantastic and really for anyone who may have played the game before on a mobile device, will instantly understand how to do it in VR, but being 3D and VR, it does get a bit more tricky for sure. Look forward to playing through it more and the new mode coming later they announced.

Cosmic Trip - is very early access content wise, but I am amazed I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. For what is in the game currently, it is extremely well polished and feels fantastic. A lot of the reviews mention this and it holds true. They make great use of the haptic feedback on the controllers, the little smile bot is cute as can be, and everything is well thought out to use roomscale to play an RTS from a first person perspective. It seriously lacks in content long term (right now it just seems to be an endless survival mode from increasing waves of baddies that are easy enough to counter with your seemingly limitless supply of resources to make laser bots) but I can see this game going really far if they keep going at this level of polish.

Chomping at the bit to jump into Elite this weekend maybe, but time, energy, being sick, whatever pending on if I do or not. I could care less to play Elite on a screen so thats what keeps me out of it most of the time. Also that "V" overlay Alpha can't get here soon enough. I got a reply from their Twitter that sounds like they might not have it in the Alpha right away as it is a custom graphics engine, but they are working on it and obviously it is one of the main games that need it. Once I can watch Netflix while flying in Elite, I'll probably not play anything else for a good while.

Outside of VR, Overwatch is scratching a FPS itch I haven't had in a while. Really fun game.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ShadowMoo posted:

You have way too much money if you have both a vive and a rift. Give me some.

Also aren't there mods that allow you to play vive only games on a rift and vice versa?

I'm a mix of stupid + got lucky with the Oculus Kickstarter = Free CV1 so I only had to pay for the Vive.

I love both headsets but I do wish Oculus would just give up on the Oculus Store and just keep Oculus Home. Let it be similar to what Vive Dashboard is in detecting games that works with it and just sell all the "Exclusives" on Steam or something.

Whatever Bargfink has covered that enough and I see he is probated again on his usual antics lol.

One thing both headsets need (and I mentioned this to the HTC rep as well) are accessories. Sounds like HTC might be game for replacement Straps as well as face pads in the not too distant future which is good and Oculus really could use the same. Miss my AboutFace pads immensely.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Syves posted:

bup bup bup bup... slow down a sec

Please, tell me more.

V Signup for the Alpha/Beta

Their Twitter is a little stale, but they are hard at work on their new tech. Basicly it allows you to multitask with an overlay drawn inside your VR environment from what I can tell. Similar to some stuff that the Leap Motion guys were working on for their use cases.

What It means is being able to throw up a VLC/Browser/Explorer window anywhere in your VR environment so you can watch Netflix/Video/Browse the web (not sure how) inside your Cockpit of Elite, or to the side of your view in Minecraft, etc. This, will be amazing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Deviant posted:

Yes. SteamVR itself works, I can see my environment and the SteamVR HMD menu and stuff. The games just...don't launch.

If you're using a Rift, are you trying to launch Vive only games? While the Rift can use SteamVR, if a Game is specifically setup to use the Vive's Roomscale design, it might not allow you to play it with the Rift because there is no way to control the game currently with it.

Once Touch arrives, it shouldn't take too much for devs to patch in support for it, or heck even SteamVR could possibly just natively support it rather quick as it has a similar amount of buttons and a analog stick (to cover the touchpad).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sliderule posted:

I cut some face pads out of knock-off ShamWow fabric (felt) and they work phenomenally well. They literally never have felt wet to me after hours of play, and the foam remains bone dry.

No stitching required, you can literally draw a template using the foam and add some tabs for tying it to the foam, then cut it out. If you're crafty, you might make it oversized and stitch the corners up to make it cover the edges of the foam, too.

I have seen this a while back, I may have to do this. drat also my Aunt was just here that likes to sew stuff that would have been perfect for making me a few custom super soft fabric facepads. Might still see if she could hook me up lol.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Deviant posted:

No, this is stuff that worked before, like Keep Talking and Elite. I don't know what I changed, but it seems to work now.

Did you reboot?

A lot of SteamVR quirks seems to take a reboot to clear up for one reason or another.

And I still cannot reliably play, quit, and play audioshield again. It is a one time thing until I reboot even if I kill the process as it always seems to fail to quit normally. :negative:

Also if you have an Oculus, don't play Elite in SteamVR. Launch the game from the launcher without SteamVR for the OculusRuntime which is still much better performance than SteamVR for Elite.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The Vive's lighthouses come with wallmounts or anything, or am I gonna have to velcro them up in a corner? Or can I leave them on the floor?

Thinking about how I'd reorganize my living room (that's where my PC and desk are) if I did get a Vive. Not one hundred percent sure I've got good places for everything... might take a picture later.

One set of these stands and 2 of these and you're set. (Watch out though the Mini Ball's threads are poo poo and can strip out really easy so make sure you don't try to adjust them without loosening them first. Once they are set though they work fine and if the threads give, just put a ziptie in there or some wire for the remaining threads to have something to bite onto.)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am excited for a lot of this stuff.

If The Doom/FO4 VR games end up being them with Controller Tracking for hands/gun aiming, that will be perfect, especially if they keep the locomotion mapable, that will make the games immensely better in the Virtuix Omni and the current VorpX hack way to get the game to work currently with a gamepad and using face aiming. I guess we will see.

Also that Star Trek VR Bridge game looks like it will be a ton of fun. Hopefully the Scripted missions along with the random generated stuff is well done and a lot of fun too.

AAA companies are giving VR a shot, so hopefully things get really exciting soon.

Looks like the Vive is getting a lot of traction though so hopefully Oculus can step up not only their shipping, but get the drat Touch out, and give up on their exclusive store and just plug in with Valve with a Vive Dashboard style of detecting what games you have installed, list their "Comfort Rating" if need be, and otherwise just make things easy to support if there is support to be had. Anyway, staying away from that argument anymore than that. E3 is shaping up to be some good stuff so far.

Also hopefully more XBox One/360 games being playable on Windows 10 too. That would be neato.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has Oculus already had their press conference? I assume that's when they would release more info about Touch. If E3 comes and goes without any, I'm probably going to give up on the Rift, at least for gen 1.

They have to have something, as that Star Trek VR game has Touch written all over it. :v:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

How affordable is the Omni going to get to be? I can't imagine it being cheap having a big threadmill in the middle of my living room being extremely cheap.

It looks to be around the $699 area but we will see once the final product is done and production ramps up.

I got in on the Kickstarter so I saved a few Hundred while getting a few extras as well. Still, once you do use it in First Person games in VR, it really does click and is the only solution I can see working for the foreseeable future that is also scalable with more hand/motion tracking stuff coming along.

Also while Oculus hasn't presented directly yet it, it seems they have announced bits here and there through others. Almost everything has Touch Support so if Oculus doesn't announce the Touch Launch then well, guess we will just have to expect it to be sometime just before all this 2017 VR games launch date then.

Kazy, how are you liking them so far?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep, there is also this. https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742449767133761536

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

homeless snail posted:

smh if you can't recognize Geordie LaForge in his natural element

SMH I will admit that it took me until just about now to realize what you meant..... :awesomelon:

Man has he (and therefor we) gotten friggin old. :ffg:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

Most people that have tried it said it surprisingly doesn't make them sick. The devs are doing something with decreasing the FOV that apparently helps with it. There was a demo back in the DK2 days that was sorta similar, just flying around a photorealistic landscape that really was cool, but it was just barren mountains though. Watching them flying around/under/in between those small spaces would be quite a rush.

Wasn't that the Unreal powered Hangglider demo? That was pretty cool in VR back when I tried it, however it needed more oomph than my 780 could do (didn't work with SLI) with the graphics maxed out.

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft announced Project Scorpio which looks like it will be a new Xbox that will be 4K capable and supposedly supports VR. No one seems to know if it will be Microsoft's own VR or if it will just support the Vive or Rift. It seems like Microsoft is trying to blend PC and xbox into one platform. It wouldn't surprise me if this new console is just a PC that runs a bespoke consolified windows that you can plug your current HMD into. Would be really hilarious if they get PSVR to run on it.

^^^ That would piss me off since I'm currently moving.

Considering they have sort of already paired with Oculus a little, I wouldn't be surprised if they just allowed you to plug in a Oculus/Vive and supported them natively through some sort of XboxVR Runtime of sorts.

Time will tell right now at least.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am going to say this, gently caress VR Star Wars Exclusives on a sub par VR Platform.

For years we have been wanting a sequal or hell, just (and I mean just) a Graphically Updated Tie Fighter ( X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance would be good too) and now that VR is here, one with VR as well.

We've seen how good space is in VR. Could you imagine Multiplayer in VR with a modern X-Wing VS Tie Fighter!?!?

But no. We're stuck with beautiful but arcade Star Wars crap since the original Xbox launched and Lucasarts has not put out another sim worth a dam since.

*End VR Rant* :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping they can avoid. I want someone playing as the captain, giving me an order, to actually mean something and not just be fluff that I can ignore to do my own thing. Something like... what was that old FPS mod where like, you could play as different classes and one was the 'commander' or something, and they had an RTS type view of the game so if they gave you an order to move somewhere, it was probably for a good reason and you should follow?

Well there was the old school Battlezone game (Not the wireframe ones, the Activison Battlezone 1 and 2) which was a good mix of FPS and RTS with some funky AI (especially in 2 unfortunately, though there are some killer mods for that one still).

Then there is Battlefield 2 which had 1 guy sort of elect to be the Commander, and had a good overhead strategy map of the battlefield, can assign orders for squads to attack/defend/etc, and drop air supplies where he sees fit.

With a good one, and a team of non retards that actually followed the orders a bit, you could win pub matches all day. When you got on teams that had a terrible one, or one of the servers that forced the commander to sit in the back and "command" uselessly (there was never a need for the commander to just sit in the back and be useless outside of just staring at a map) then you were pretty much guaranteed to loose.

They removed the commander in all the BF games and Pub matches are always crap ever since. (That and unlocks. The reason Overwatch is so much fun and better is because you don't have to poopsock it from launch day to get ahead and stay competitive to everyone else.)

We will see what they make the Commanders/Captains do as if they do it right, he can be a very useful asset, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It has been mentioned more than once though, that some of the PSVR Exclusives could possibly be ported to the PC at a later time.

And why not? Once the game is out and sold till a sharp decline, release it for the PC for whatever headsets you choose (preferably all), then rake in another chunk of sales that hopefully offset the cost to do the porting.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That E3 2000 trailer will still be one of the best memories of Halo before Halo became what it is... Oh well.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Unsigned drivers in Window 10 is as easy to install as it has been on Win8(.1) Just have to reboot with driver signing disabled, install said driver, and then thing should be fine on reboots after that until you have to update it again.

Running Windows 10 on a 2006 era Sony Vaio with switchable graphics, getting the latest Legacy Nvidia driver to work with that 8400GS took some fiddling, but I finally got it to take and it made that GPU so much less crappy then whatever Windows 7 era driver that was the last one ever sorta gotten to work with it. Once it was installed Windows 10 with the GS and the few games it can run work much better as does video.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I remember Steam for the first time when Half Life 2 came out. (got the Free HL2 code from a friend when he got a 9600XT).

Had to install Steam to get it, and while I was at it I added a key that was part of the Half Life 1 Platinum pack I got, and it registered all the games from the pack which I though was pretty cool.

One of the first games to but on Steam were Ragdoll Kung Fu, Darwinia, and The Ship. Darwinia was and still is (Multiwinia too) a ton of fun, RDKF was pretty good (better on PS3) and I only scratched The Ship a bit because it seemed there was never enough players.

It has come a long way since then for sure. And while there is still "Steam DRM" You can usually launch a game you would want to play offline once online, and it works fine when offline anytime after that. A lot better than the old Disk based SecureROM BS from the old days for sure. Not having to get NoCD .exe's or running fake disk images to play the games without having to dig up the disk each time is a good time saver. (That and Hacking in Widescreen support, glad those days are (Mostly with Ultrawides just gaining steam) behind us).

Also I wish I could work on a Marketing team for VR using that Greenscreen setup. Looks so friggin cool that I wish I could do that at home.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

VR Cover has a sort of Leather cover that can go over it to lessens the absorption, but overall I wish someone would just make good replacement pads like the Aboutface.vr guys did.

Others here seem to have had good luck modifying padded sleep mask to use as foam pad replacements, but has anyone found any other pads that fit and can replace the use of the stock one? You would think someone would jump on that instead of these goofy covers that only kinda almost cover everything.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/743823423437148160

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

NM Reading the full page helps... It's been a long week.

Also while this process uses just a normal camera for capture right? Would it have any benefit from using a 3D camera for actual depth sensing or anything? (Could an old EVO 3D be of any use outside of the occasional nifty 3D picture? lol)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I may have to tinker with it, but due to my current life time constraints already I don't get near enough time to just enjoy VR let alone start trying to create stuff.

I really need to find a job that is more open to Working at Home or at least working with all this tech so I can explore and work toward the future of VR, rather then currently just securing internal IT assets, but overall having little access to my own stuff/hardware or any VR hardware for that matter, for extended periods of time. Ugh

HTC Get back to me for that drat Management Trainee Position. :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/notch/status/743915341584072708

Called it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Warbird posted:

Called what? Notchyboy taking a swing at a VR game?

In one of these VR threads I threw out the idea that Valve could do the same as Oculus, to fund VR developers without locking them to one piece of hardware, and then Valve drops this today.

So While Oculus wants to Fund for Timed Exclusives, Valve wants to fund for VR Sake (for the most part at least). So we will see how things go in comparison, but as a Dev, having multiple options to help in funding your creation can't be bad.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Honestly, I eyeballed it. It could be beneficial to have some kind of marker in the room that gives you a known height (even a line drawn on a doorframe) and use that as a reference for scale.

The Pro version of Photoscan allows you to measure distances between points in your pointcloud/mesh, which would be helpful, but I'm not forking out another $3k just for that and a bunch of GIS features that I'll never use. I have wondered about the benefit of acquiring a decent drone to assist with aerial coverage and taller objects. It all depends how far down the rabbit hole you feel like going - I started messing around with this stuff a while back, and there's definitely ways to monetise it.

Really impressed with what you've done so far. It's all about learning the best and most optimal practices for shooting the scene and processing. Once you've got that down, you can recreate pretty much anything.

Now you got me seriously considering this now. Using a drone to capture an entire properity and then throwing it into a virtual world for people to see as if they were physically there, would be pretty sweet.
Might just have to load up the demo and charge up the drone and see what I can get.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Using a Phantom I wonder if there is a way to jack into the GPS data the drone itself uses.

Or better yet, sell it and get a better drone (its a P2 and I really need to get a P4 or better) or built one myself. Hmm

Either way, cool stuff and more awesome things I don't have time for, ugh.

In VR news. Playing Overwatch in VR using Virtual Desktop is bad.

Bad in the sense that going back to my 27" 1440P screen feels like I am back on a 15" CRT after playing on an iMAX screen in my Rift. Jeez. It is actually quite playable and fun, however I tried to stream while doing that, and my 980Ti wasn't having any of that lol. Might try it lowered to 1080P and see if that helps some. It worked, but I played worse because of it (I think around 30FPS but it wasn't really the game, more Virtual Desktop starting to choke while the Game eats GPU cycles as well as OBS Studio doing its Streaming/Capture overhead. A 1080Ti should fix all that I am guessing. :shepspends:

Overwatch is just soo drat much fun.. I can't stop playing it even in VR...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

8one6 posted:

[thinks of how tracer and genji move]
Oh god
:barf:

Oh. Yeah that sounds pretty kick rear end.

I was able to play TF2 as the Scout in VR back in the DK1 days...

The tech and rendering changed since then and well, it would be :barf: city if I tried that today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

But then you wouldn't be able to use Virtual Desktop at all.

He could fake detect a few screens in windows, or get a few of those fake 4K screen dongles to plug in.

I have actually gone to a LAN without a screen and only used my DK2 and Virtual desktop and Splashtop for when I needed a screen.

Not optimal, but it did work lol. Played mostly Elite at that event.