Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

superh posted:

Thread;

I recently upgraded my PC to be "rift ready." I've got my DK2, my 360 controller, life is good on the oculus store.

In short, I'm asking, should I buy a Vive?

That depends: Do you want VR in three days or in September?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

In VR news. Playing Overwatch in VR using Virtual Desktop is bad.
[thinks of how tracer and genji move]
Oh god
:barf:

quote:

Bad in the sense that going back to my 27" 1440P screen feels like I am back on a 15" CRT after playing on an iMAX screen in my Rift. Jeez. It is actually quite playable and fun, however I tried to stream while doing that, and my 980Ti wasn't having any of that lol. Might try it lowered to 1080P and see if that helps some. It worked, but I played worse because of it (I think around 30FPS but it wasn't really the game, more Virtual Desktop starting to choke while the Game eats GPU cycles as well as OBS Studio doing its Streaming/Capture overhead. A 1080Ti should fix all that I am guessing. :shepspends:

Overwatch is just soo drat much fun.. I can't stop playing it even in VR...

Oh. Yeah that sounds pretty kick rear end.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I picked up a Vive last night. I only had a few hours to play with it but it is awesome.
Played Job Simulator for an hour and a little bit of vivecraft.
I picked up some 6ft camera tripods from microcenter with the Vive for the lighthouses, figuring it would give me some flexibility in set up but to move everything I'd need to haul my pc around so I'm going to take the tripods back and just mount the lighthouses on the walls.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ok, I know this is probably old hat to you folks who have had VR for months now, but Google Earth VR!
Just the scale of everything.

And I guess The Lab's pretty fun too.

I also played through Call of the Starseed and it's short but cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

So I got myself a Vive yesterday, any recommendations on what I should install/buy/experience for sure?

Google Earth VR is an awesome experience.
The archery in The Lab is fun.
Redeem the code for Call of the Starseed that came with your Vive. It's short but cool.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ok, about 22 minutes into windlands and I needed a break. People weren't kidding about having to get used to non-teleport movement in VR.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Just finished Dead Secret. I liked it. The addition of VR elevated it a bit above a standard point and click and it didn't rely on moon logic for the puzzles. It is a bit short though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Apple will wait a few years, come out with their own VR/AR, and be lauded for inventing VR/AR. The iVR will most likely be behind on features compared to Rift 2/Viive but will feature beveled edges.

Also, they will be available in a few colors, but Apple will only make three rose gold headsets a week so they'll be back ordered for weeks. This will somehow be your fault. No, a black, silver, or white one won't be good enough!

(gently caress working anywhere near sales during a new iPhone launch.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Instantly googled to see if you could use it with Skyrim, and you can, but no SKSE :negative:

I have to assume it's related to the SKSE script extender not being out yet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I can't get Doom 3 VR to work for me. Apparently it has something to do with the AMD drivers I have.

I can however get Soundboxing to work and odds are good that my arms will never not be tired again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I planed on trying a few minutes of Rec Room today. You know, tryout a game or two for 15 minutes or so. I went into the quest room and was the 4th person to join that instance. I finally logged off an hour later having learned that Quest was fun as hell and that I should never be allowed near the bow because I can't aim for poo poo when I'm not accidentally team killing.

Soundboxing continues to be fun. I've taken to browsing the latest challenges to get a good variety. There's someone out there who loving loves anime soundtracks though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Has there been an announcement on a US release on the wireless Vive adapter?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yeah, if it worked natively on the Vive I'd already have Robo Recall, but I don't want to have to jack with a third party app (that may or may not exist in the future) on top of having to split my game library between two store fronts.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Loopoo posted:

What programs / games are must-haves for the HTC Vive? Really thinking of picking one up. I need something to get me super hype.

Rec Room is fun and is free.
If you like rhythm games check out soundboxing.
Call of the Starseed is a great translation of the point and click genre to VR. It's a bit short, but if you pick up a Vive new it's one of the free games that comes with it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Narcosis is pretty neat in VR but a sit down experience with a controller (or mouse and keyboard) is very much a take-you-out-of-immersion thing. I want to move around guys not be shackled to a chair.

I know this is going to sound like "VR is the wave of the future MAN!" but what is even the point of releasing a first person VR game that's chair and controller based?

8one6
May 20, 2012

The first hour of Arizona Sunshine is pretty good. I turned on touchpad walking locomotion and it's not nearly as :barf: as that sort of movement was a month ago.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I bought a few games on the Steam VR sale.

Boo Breakers: The Ghostening: Ehh. It's a shallow Ghostbusters knock-off, but it was only $2.50 and I feel like the half hour I spend busting ghosts was worth $2.

Vanishing Realms: Only played an hour so far, but I'm liking it. As The Lab and Rec Room have proved I'm poo poo with a bow.

Knockout League: I thought "Well, 8one6, you've put in 11 hours in Soundboxing, how different could this be?"

Ducking and dodging are using muscles groups I abandoned in high school after I took up my all lasagna diet, (I'm a fat loser, you see)* but I look forward to getting into enough shape to play video games.

The other games I haven't put any time into yet because of my work schg, but I'll be bothering the thread with updates as I play them.

*It wasn't quite that bad, but I'm down 70lbs from my max weight and already down about 10 lbs this year thanks to major eating changes and being way more active.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I've started to create beatmaps for Soundboxing so if you play any created by 8one6 I'm sorry.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I can't decide if off-beat beatmatching is worse than weeaboo music...
Then make your own beatmaps for the music you like. It's shockingly easy to do. The first few songs I mapped suck a bit because I didn't think about what they would play like but I'm fixing that going forward.
Hell, make some song suggestions. If I like them I'd be willing to make some beatmaps for you.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Walrus posted:

please do my favourite audiosurf/audioshield song 'atlantis to interzone' by the klaxxons

If this is the song I can work on this tonight. (Also this rocks!)

GlyphGryph posted:

BFG Division, please.

gently caress me, this is 9 minutes long. Alright, but I expect to see you on the goddamn leaderboards for this thing.

EDIT: This is going to take a few listens for both to not be crap. It may be up tomorrow if I don't like what I end up with.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 13, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I'll take a screenshot, haha.

Its the song I got Audioshield to play and also the reason I returned Audioshield so I am actually really drat excited about this.

I fully expect that your will have murdered my muscles by the end of this

Here you go.
That only took half an hour (and now I have some practice with the edit function on the beat mapper.)

There are 2,366 beats in this one so have fun and I'm sorry if it sucks. I'm still relatively new at this.

The Walrus posted:

please do my favourite audiosurf/audioshield song 'atlantis to interzone' by the klaxxons

Hot off the beat grill! (Beat grill? Beat press maybe? Would beat box work better?)
Again I'm not as familiar with the song so I tried to edit out the rougher transitions.

If you both can let me know what you think. Comments, complaints, suggestions, curses upon my house, I'm open to feed back.

EDIT:

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uAsP41tLQ

A little bit more in depth about the roles in Bridge Crew

Looks neato

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 13, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Unfortunately roughly half the notes in this are above my ceiling, it feels like! It's a problem I have with lots of songs.

Luckily they just announced an update that will let me fix this from the user side by adjusting the orb area "play space", so I guess it will have to wait until that lands

gently caress. I thought I had worked on that. I'm sorry. My first few I tried to get fancy forgetting that 1) I'm taller than average and 2) my ceiling is high.

I'll try to redo this tomorrow night after work.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Walrus posted:

soundboxing goons should post their steamids or soundboxing profiles so we can play each others favourited songs and created beatmaps. mines just upthread

Mine's here.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stick100 posted:

How do you post your soundboxing profile?

8one6
May 20, 2012

I didn't so much finish playing Arizona Sunshine as I decided I was done with it.

The good: This is a great looking game that offers sliding locomotion (in addition to teleportation), gun mechanics that are solid without being tedious, and the devs obviously put some work into the environments.

That said, ultimately the reason I'm giving this a do not recommend is because it's an seriously frustrating game. The single player is a mostly linear progression from one location to another, broken up by searching for supplies and large hoards of zombies that are triggered by you picking up necessary plot objects.

I got stuck on one such hoard of zombies and gave up after the ninth attempt to get past it. All of the previous waves at that point had been extremely difficult to deal with without cheesing the fights in some way (mostly finding a way to funnel them into attacking from one predicatable direction and then hoping the game didn't spawn them with bullet-proof motorcycle helmets.)

The only change resigning myself to easy difficulty made was the game giving every gun a laser sight.

Aiming isn't my issue with the game. The 15 minute EVERY-ZOMBIE-IN-ARAZONA hoardes were my issue.

Go ahead, get your 'git gud' scrub comments out of the way but I wouldn't recommend this game at its current $40 price point.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Job Simulator is great for introducing people to Room scale and motion controls, which is the only reason I've left it installed. It's not a bad game, but pretty much every other game I've played has been more entertaining.

8one6
May 20, 2012

iceaim posted:

I heard Fallout 4 VR is going to get released in the autumn, but nothing solid yet. I haven't even played Fallout 4 on desktop. I am looking forward to a virgin Fallout 4 VR experience.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the HELL out of Fallout New Vegas using VorpX. I've been playing that game for over 40 hours now and really feel that I'm getting more than my money's worth when it comes to paying 40 bucks for VorpX. I can't imagine playing New Vegas on a monitor now. The 3D and position/rotational tracking adds a lot to an already immersive game.

Does VorpX play nicely with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stick100 posted:

... 8one6 I played the Mario Paint Final Countdown challenge you made and was surprised to see you didn't have a score for it. Does making a challenge not make you run it once like Mario Maker?

It doesn't. And I've been busy as gently caress the past few days so I haven't had a chance to play.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gather around and hear the tale of my first seated VR experience!

So I was browsing the Steam VR store in VR (my first mistake) when I noticed that Subnautica was on sale and it listed official Vive support (see section 2: Support Rant).
"Hey," I spoke aloud for the benefit of the readers, "I've heard good things about Subnautica. Let's try it out for $10."
Bought and installed the game, launched VR tried to launch the game. "This game doesn't support motion controls."
Oh, well that sucks. Ok, I already bought so I guess I'll try out VR as a seated experience then.
I plug in my 360 controller and launch the game sans wands.
The start menu looks good (if a bit low to the ground, no big deal.) I point my face at the start button and hit "A" on the controler.
Nothing. Hmmm.
Windows sees the controller. I load up another game, it recognizes the controller and I can play a bit.
I try unplugging the controller and launching Subnautica with just mouse and keyboard. Again, I point my cursor at the start button and lry a mouse click.
Nothing.
Enter?
Nothing.
Hmmm....
A goick google search doesn't reveal much other than this is a known issue and people get into stupid internet slap fights over everything, including what constitutes "VR support" and if the 360 controller is or is not the most supported controller on PC or of all time.
"Well, that was fun." I again say aloud for the purpose of the narrative as I request a refund of my $10.

I could have probably dicked around with it and found a solution, but honestly I was already disappointed in myself for not noticing that it was seated only and I didn't feel like troubleshooting a controller issue for an early access game.

And that's my seated VR experience.

Section 2: A small rant.
If you don't support the controller/control scheme that came with a system, then you don't support the system. Just because you opened the project in unity and/or unreal and clicked the checkbox for "render in VR" does, technically, mean you created a VR game, but if you aren't going to bother to support the entire VR system then it's no better than a lovely android game port.

8one6
May 20, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I don't agree with the second point though. The game predates VR hand controllers by a couple of years, its had VR support since the Rift DK1, and I don't think it would be materially improved by supporting them. There's a place for all kinds of input methods in VR, steering wheels, flight sticks, gamepads, guitar controllers. Hand presence is good but not everything needs it.

That's fair. I'm just being salty.

8one6
May 20, 2012

So apparently the TPcast can drive 6 headsets at a time. At least the business edition can.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Just installed the latest Doom 3 VR mod (Alpha 21) and I swear running around flailing my hysterical eldritch noodle arms on my wacky full body avatar is the best loving thing in the world. Bonus points that the game defaulted to a weird remote control movement thing so I could watch my dude run off into the middle distance waving his arms in the sky

You reminded me of Doom 3 VR so I went to check it back out.

THEY FIXED THE AMD BLACKSCREEN ISSUE!!!

I haven't played this since it came out. This rocks in VR!

EDIT (Content):
Looks like the Vive is also getting eye tracking care of the Vive-X program.

What do you think the odds are of it being integrated into the Vive 2? (Viive?)

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Someone who makes soundboxing levels please help

Do you really have to do it note for note in realtime, there's no way to go at say quarter speed or move the balls once they are placed?! I found you can rewind/fast forward but it's still a gigantic pain in the rear end to tune individual notes that were slightly off; there's GOT to be a better way

Nope. It's the only way. Get comfortable with the edit function if you want your beatmaps to be perfect.
Honestly, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you can still groove to the beat and work up a sweat the beat map is fine.
Unless you're that giant who makes beatmaps that you'd need 5 elbows to 100% the challenge, then you can get hosed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's Star Trek: Artemis, but in VR.

Like, it's exactly what I wanted the second I learned about Artemis. I honestly feel sorry for the Artemis devs because the only thing it will have going for it now is it's the non-VR bridge sim game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It looks fun as hell to me but I've been a Trek nerd since I was 5 so I'm biased as gently caress.
I watched this (Trigger Warning: You tube personality) and I decided that I would pay full price for the game.
Now I get if that doesn't look like fun to you (I couldn't give a poo poo about certain game genres) but for me it fires the wish fulfillment part of my brain hard.
Like, I'm that rat in skinner box dot jpeg and the idea of a Star Trek VR bridge sim is the button.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lemming posted:

The high monetary cost of VR is triggering his economic anxiety

:golfclap:

SwissCM posted:

I posted a link earlier detailing what his friends get up to. That is what gives me the impression that he is a piece of poo poo who holds white supremacist beliefs associating with alt-right groupies who have strong ties to actual neo-nazism. I'd say that is tangentially related? Unless we have a different ideas on what that word means too.

Yeah. If a significant number of the people someone associates with are white supremacist (as is the case with Palmer Luckey) then it's a pretty safe bet that, while he may or may not own a white hooded robe himself, he's likely sympathetic to those same beliefs.

EDIT: in VR related content someone put together a proof of concept VR thing of Red Alert 2 in Unreal 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGtrJaiUZaA

EA said he couldn't release it but apparently he's filing the serial numbers and working on an actual game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

So in non-racist VR news Vivecraft's latest update added Forge mod support for 1.11.2 and 1.10.2 versions of Minecraft so if your server moved on from 1.7 (like the ones my friends and I run) you can VR mine in multiplayer!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Fooz posted:

I want a VR simulation of a place where VR people care about the quality of VR instead of the lovely things they do apparently care about.

What sucks is the games that are easiest to make in VR (shooting galleries/wave shooters and Escape the Room games) are my least favorite games. Now that VR's been a thing for a year we're starting to see a wider variety of games.

8one6
May 20, 2012

SwissCM posted:

I'm surprised no one has nicked the interaction verbs from The Gallery. It did so much right for a launch title, particularly the hand interactions and inventory management.

The Gallery was a fantastic launch title and Starseed 2: Gallery Harder is something I'm legitimately eager to play.
I need to go through my "Why did you spend so much on VR?" spreadsheet and post a writeup of my recommendations somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Fooz posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept any locomotion solution overall yet. Stick/pad locomotion has a lot of advocates who whine about every single game without it, but even ignoring nausea it's not really any more 'immersive' to me. It just makes me feel like a wierd slidey man instead of a wired teleport man, things are strange when moving around nearby objects and i end up barely moving at all.

I don't hate teleportation but I find myself preferring pad locomotion for most games if it's an option mostly because it feels like what I'm used to with non-vr games. You're right that (for me at least) one doesn't feel any more immersive than the other.

SwissCM posted:

There's two I like:

Climbeyesque, where you hold down buttons and move your arms, causing a proportional amount of forward momentum in the direction your head or arms are facing. This works surprisingly well, but doesn't seem to be for everyone.
Serious Sam Style, standard pointer teleportation when pressing trackpad down, but directional taps zap you around quickly in set increments. It's not perfect but it's the quickest locomotion method that doesn't make me motion sick.

The only one I haven't been able to get a handle on yet is the Climbey-style, but to be fair all I've played with that is the demo and I couldn't quite get the timing right on running jumps. I'm sure with more practice I'd get used to it.