Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

d0s posted:

proud aryan ubermensch

Isn't that show supposed to teach morality or something? It doesn't seem to be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"I'm sorry that my business was damaged by the dank meme machine. Minorities can still get hosed though."

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

As much as I'd like to see that rear end in a top hat fired, if Oculus loses business as a result of not firing him, that is also good.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol if you actually think Trump isn't a white supremacist

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sorry for posting a politic, have some hilarious 90s VR instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkZEXGaApE

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

KakerMix posted:

Isn't there some special features you have to have on the cables? Like some sort of standard or manufacturing thing on them?

efb by actual information by poetic

Data cables have a maximum designed length, if you go beyond that without using active repeaters the signal may become corrupted. Or not.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bhodi posted:

I don't get why someone would play a racing game where you're inside the car, the entire gameplay is predicated on staring as far away down the track as you can manage which VR doesn't do well at all.

Because you get a better sense of speed and distance in VR.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

Please, tell me more about how it is stupid to boycott a luxury product because an employee did something racist.

e: To be clear, I personally am not boycotting Oculus because of this. I was already boycotting them for other reasons.

BMan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 28, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I saw actual games in the Vive store already (Fantastic Contraption and Cloudlands).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well now I'm just confused: http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/09/your-journey-begins-at-viveport/

quote:

As part of this release, we are introducing Viveport Premieres–titles launching first on Viveport. These titles include Everest VR, Google Spotlight Stories’ Pearl, Lifeliqe, Stonehenge VR, The Music Room, an all-new edition of theBlu and more.
It looks like half of the supposed "Viveport Premieres" are already being sold outside of Viveport, so I don't know what the gently caress. (Everest VR and theBlu are on Steam, The Music Room has a humble widget on their web site)

e: Also, can someone explain to me how buying exclusives for a store makes any economic sense when there is no vendor lock-in?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean, if I wanted to buy a game that was a Viveport Premiere, I would buy that and then immediately go back to Steam. I imagine most gamers would do the same, so I don't see how this scheme makes HTC money.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yes, but presumably HTC would have paid the developers a boatload of money to not release on Steam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well, I see that there are a few titles on sale on Viveport for a dollar. Now there's something I can get behind.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Kotaku's review has a demonstration of the controller shake. Disappointing.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cojawfee posted:

It gets orientation from the IMUs. This is really accurate and fast but it drifts. I think it was Dan in the GiantBomb stream that was playing some kind of funhouse game with guns. The one gun kept drifting to the left because there was nothing to correct IMU drift.

Technically the Move does use a combination of accelerometer and magnetometer to correct gyroscope drift. This is enough to determine the 3 axes of rotation, but it's prone to interference and not particularly accurate.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tom Guycot posted:

Also it still blows my mind the tracking camera isn't included with the headset, like, the controllers I can understand, but to sell a headset with no tracking is crazy and I think after the pre-sale hype market has died down, theres going to be a poo poo ton of idiots around Christmas complaining that this headset they bought for their kids gamestation 4 doesn't even work right.

Edit: I actually feel more and more its really skeezy on sony's part. They sell VR for your playstation for "only 399.99!" but they don't even include tracking. You are basically required to buy a separate camera that judging by the amazon page at least they don't even make clear. It feels like some awful bait and switch thats going to sucker-punch some unsuspecting people that don't do a bunch of research on all this before hand, just so they can claim such a rock bottom price.

Heh

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah, I made that.
By the way, to anybody who doesn't recognize that comic, I highly recommend you look up Johnny Turbo.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ideas for potential reasons why tracking would fail only for some people:
  • Blue objects in background (do the PSVR lights change color like the Move orb?)
  • Mirror in background
  • Hands blocking the camera
  • Magnetic anomalies
  • Smudged camera lens
  • Tracking software bugs
  • Mad Catz level quality assurance
  • Gremlins???

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Actually, now that I think about that "hands blocking the camera" thing... With just the Playstation Camera directly in front of you, it means you could easily mess up the tracking just by putting your hands in front of your face. That's going to be incredibly limiting.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

w00tazn posted:

If you want to test the IMU then just turn the camera around or cover it and try to use the Rift. You'd be surprised at how good it is and how well it tracks with no correction. Hopefully the same applies to the touch controllers.
I wonder if the same can be said for the Vive if one or more lighthouses are blocked.

Nope, IMUs are quite good at angular tracking but they can't do unassisted positional tracking at all.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There is no secret super-IMU with accurate positional tracking in the Rift. Even the heavy duty INS units the military uses have drift on the order of a foot per second.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DCS World is actually playable now, thank you based Gaben

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

Soundboxing is a VR music video kickboxing game where you create the beats!

quote:

kickboxing

quote:

kick

wat

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

70 FPS is not a deal breaker. Honestly, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker for VR is a fluctuating framerate and while I don't understand the term at all, frame pacing is also important(?). So long as there is consistency it should be more or less fine. Personally I'd like to be able to cap certain performance intensive games to 60 rather than 90, since (to me at least) static 60 and static 90 are indistinguishable, but jolts from 90 to 70 definitely are even though I never drop below 60.

SteamVR by default only renders at 90 or 45 FPS, so I don't know what you're talking about. There is also an option to force 45 FPS. It's when a game starts missing frames at 45 FPS that things really go to poo poo.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If so, install the SteamVR beta and turn on asynchronous reprojection. This will improve your DCS experience immensely.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Should I turn off the other forms of reprojection, or just turn everything on then?

I'll just quote the thing from the valve post:

quote:

* Notes on async reprojection:

Requires Nvidia driver version 372.54 or newer.
AMD not supported in this version.
Can be disabled in SteamVR settings under Performance by unchecking "Allow asynchronous reprojection".
Current status is listed in the lower left section of SteamVR Settings (Async Reprojection On/Off). If you have "Allow asynchronous reprojection" checked, but are still seeing Async Reprojection Off on the left, this means it is not supported on your current setup - see above for requirements.
Frame timing graph has been updated to show the number of times each frame has been presented (white line in the stacked cpu graph) and the number of times each frame has been reprojected to a different vsync than originally rendered for (red line on the stacked gpu graph).
"Allow interleaved reprojection" checkbox still applies in async mode. It controls whether the application is dropped to 45hz when not making framerate, or if it is allowed to get further and further behind until a frame winds up getting presented twice. This leads to less positional judder, but that judder is more random (which tends to be more annoying).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rastor posted:

The MSI backpack PC is now a thing you can purchase with money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154391

Zotac and other manufacturers are expected to have theirs available soon.

Based on those specifications, that thing's battery life probably won't reach 30 minutes.

e: maybe I'm reading the battery thing wrong, then it could last up to less than an hour.

BMan fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 10, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rastor posted:

It's supposed to be "up to" 45 minutes per battery, and has 2 batteries.

That would imply a total power consumption of PC + HMD of 120 watts... I don't buy it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Google released an update with more cached data included for the default places, otherwise no.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

OK people, this is the correct way to wall mount the lighthouses.

1. Throw the included drywall anchors in the trash
2. Buy a pack of these:

3. Screw them directly into the wall, they are self-drilling
4. Profit

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This must be Intel's worst marketing idea since they tried to sell CPUs with DRM locked hyperthreading.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ciaphas posted:

I know I'm seriously overthinking it but boredom at work does this to a guy. Anyone have a guide or link to said for fitting a Vive on one's head, both as comfortably as possible and in a way that produces good focus? Bonus points for being able to wear glasses while doing so but I'm fairly close to giving up on that one.

You're not overthinking it at all, using a good headset donning technique has increased my Vive wearing comfort greatly. Homeless snail has covered adjusting the straps, so I'll tell you my method for putting the thing on without smudging your glasses.

1. Pull the cord up through the loops a bit to create slack in the cord.
2. Firmly grasp the bottom of the strap and the cord going through it with one hand.
3. Pick up the headset with your other hand.
4. Lift the strap out of the way and push the headset straight onto your face from the front.
5. Pull the strap down firmly onto your head.

e: Also, do the reverse of that when taking it off.

BMan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 9, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Stick100 posted:

FYI you don't need to mount or place the lighthouses high. The main reason they suggest it is that it makes it less likely if someone else steps into the area they won't occlude (block) the line of sight between a lighthouse and the headset/controller. If it's just you in a play space you could even put the lighthouses on the ground.

The key is 1. They don't move 2. Nothing blocks them from the headset and controllers. This is easiest done mounted tilted down high.

You also might need to use the sync cable because your body could block line of sight between the lighthouses.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AndrewP posted:

Funny thing in VR I noticed - in Job Simulator, I CANNOT do a throwing motion if it looks like my arm is going to hit something. I physically tried to throw a book or whatever with a full throwing motion with the microwave in front of me, and I couldn't do it.

I kept telling myself there is nothing actually in front of me, but my brain would override every time to keep my arm from banging on the virtual microwave.

You just solved the GORN breaking controllers problem, replace the chaperone grid with microwaves

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you actually hold the gun and aim with two hands?

I was just thinking its cool how lots of VR games have you dual fisting guns, but it gets a bit old and I'd kinda like to just hold a rifle for a change, or use two hands on a single pistol. I guess that wouldn't really work with VIVE controllers though? Maybe?

IMO holding a rifle in VR feels awful without a gun rig. With one, it's loving sublime.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TheKnife posted:

Are there any VR games like Receiver yet? Something highly skill-based with pseudo-random content and intricate mechanics

The Meat Grinder mode in H3VR, pretty much.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know somebody ported that to SteamVR!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I won't be immersed unless there's a 20 minute speed of light delay :colbert:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I made a quick and dirty mod for Receiver to make the sight posts white:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1isx7uzx8qrh48e/receiver_steamvr_white_sights.zip?dl=0

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If any Vive owners reading this happen to have a 3D printer capable of printing flexibles, I have something to help protect your controllers from the ravages of GORN:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2381512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Buy a loss leader Rift and then buy all your games from Steam, IMO