Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, I just checked in on one I considered backing, and again I'm glad I didn't. City-State of the Invincible Overlord. It's not quite Skarka level, but it's another one where people are saying, "Look, if it's in layout, send us what you have" and the creators are saying nothing.

Seems like the lesson is don't pledge a kickstarter based on the strength of a name from thirty years ago.

I wonder if there's a current kickstarter I can apply this reasoning to. Oh! Oh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Invisible Sun is at the printer's! I should probably start learning how to write a FATAL & Friends.

why did I kickstart that loving thing
those two hundred dollars could have bought many peanuts

I don't think I ever got a gift card for the contest last year.

I accept this as your penance.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Empyrea is turning out to be a gift that just keeps on giving.

Over on Tenkar's Tavern, there's a new post that says basically, "Whoa, if you think a comment is out of line or infringing on your IP, maybe talk to me before making legal threats, okay?"

It seems like this is referring to a now-deleted comment where the backers-only Empyrea update was copied. Which would mean that Frank Mentzer or someone on his team sent a legal nastygram to someone he's otherwise been friendly with.

This is especially weird because up to this point, Tenkar has been downright gentle with Frank. I guess Mentzer's still mid-meltdown, and not at the end of it yet.

You know I almost copy pasted the entire update text here. And no one from the project would have thought to check here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I mean, the product was going to be kind of a shitshow top to bottom anyway, but maybe don't even buy it "ironically."

I don’t think anyone was remotely interested in buying it, except possibly for F&F.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Empyrea's dead, apparently.

Also, crowdfunding is circumventing the hobby for personal benefit.

This update is somehow both confusing and infuriating. I am confuriated. Every single paragraph he wrote, even the one that's only one sentence long, is stupid.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

That kickstarter can't even bother to clarify that they mean the fifth edition of D&D....

They actually meant Paranoia.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Henker posted:

The dude being an actual dragon makes the most sense imo. I wonder what his reasoning is for not having a copy of the game until the $500 tier.

He wants only the hidden elites to buy his game so he can start secretly tracking them using their kickstarter data. The joke’s on him though why would they want to play a realistic simulation of the life they’re already living?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Also he published 21 backer only updates today.

E: Apparently each update is a single page of the rule book in image format.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

Ah that's a pity, I remember the game going up and though the art was brilliant (and the 'post-apocalyptic dungeon world' pitch was amusing). Shame it's stalled out.

You’re not kidding. That art is really endearing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I guess this is the place to ask about a released kickstarter game?

Has anyone played City of Mist enough to offer a review? I heard it was out now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

EVERY TURN YOU PLAY DL, HL, GL CARDS FOR YOUR DEPRESION, HORNY LEVEL, AND GENIOUS LEVEL, AND THEN YOUR TOTAL LEVELS ARE THE NUMBERS FROM THE CARDS ALL ADDED UP

THIS IS DL = 6, HL = 3, GL = 4

THEN YOU USE EFFECT CARDS TO STEAL FROM WORK OR BLOW OTHER PEOPLES STUFF AND LEVELS UP. AND YOU CAN DUPSTER DIVE TO GO IN THEDUMP (DISCARD PILE) AND GET STUFF THAT OTHER PEOPLE THREW OUT

YOUR LEVELS HAVE TO BE 6/6/6 TO WIN "COOL"

Okay, but a lot of people play games as an escape. Why would they want to play a game that’s exactly like their real life?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

You better not be poo poo talking Saints Row IV.

“Saints Row 1 is the only good Saint’s Row game” is a volcanic take to be sure.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hauki posted:

ah, a gloomhaven competitor

There’s got to be an Invisible Sun.

E: Sunic?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Serf posted:

I just got my City of Mist book and this is by far the heaviest RPG book I own. You could kill a man with this loving brick of a book.

What percentage of a Ptolus would you say it is?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sooooo people are making a Princess Bride RPG of all things. Wasn't there some sort of controversy surrounding this? It's looks... Weird.

I was under the impression that Stefan had divested himself of FUDGE when it became FATE? So I'm not sure what's going on here?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

It's an even lighter post-apoc game than PBTA, with a mechanical set that sums to 'roll 2d6, 5+ succeeds' +/- 1d6 if you have advantage or disadvantage based on your character traits.

A 5 or 6 on any one dice, I assume? Not, the standard roll difficulty is success 5/6 of the time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

"The Kickstarter was raw excitement. You know, you were part of it."

No. I don't think I could describe any kickstarter I've ever seen as 'raw excitement'.

Except maybe the one for the product that sends a warning to your phone if your cat isn't pooping enough.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Moving this over to the KS thread.

Also, has "launch a transmedia phenomenon based on an TRPG" ever really worked? I mean, yes, there has been crossover between TRPGs and other media, but has it ever really worked when that's the declared opening intent? It always strikes me as putting the cart before the horse, because if you're going to try and snowball a multimedia franchise, launching a TRPG is like the smallest starting audience you could get outside of making it a model train line.

I’d much rather see an rpg that was the focus of a gesamtkunstwerk. Like the package comes with with a soundtrack, and candles/incense and adjustable color lightbulbs.

Wait, am I describing Invisible Sun?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Uggggh, Dinosaur Island, my nemesis.

I loved the look of the game the first time around, that whole early 90s neon design presses all the right buttons for me. I went back and forth on backing it, and ultimately didn’t because the game itself looks overly complicated and dry as dust, and was just slightly too expensive for that. Every time I’d look at the huge array of tiny game boards, I’d glaze over, and this looks no different, adding more tiny boards of stuff.

This is my exact take, yeah. The theme is amazing, but I know I would hate the gameplay. This should make a fiasco playset or something.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Still boggles my mind that Ork ships in 40k aren't all grappler ships.

The ships in 40k are way too big for that.

Or are they? Piledrives an imperial ship of the line into a hive world destroying the entire planet in an instant.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's probably not gonna be as good as the first Street Fighter board game

I do appreciate the fact that someone looked at the name of the series and decided they definitely had to fight on a series of streets.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is the coupniverse supposed to be, “What if the French Revolution, but cyberpunk?”

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

The guillotine is only the beginning...

A tiny guillotine descends, severing the Cat5 connecting your WiFi adapter to the internet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

This looks much better than the original. Except are the bridges still trapped? That’s important.

These guys need to remake Dark Tower or the Omega Virus.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

inklesspen posted:

I don't think he understands very much about D&D, Ryuutama, or elfgaming in general.

He's trying to say "It's a narrative game." But he apparently doesn't know game design jargon.

Edit: Like this is pure outsider art. He probably doesn't even know that narrative games exist, but then he tried to make one.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 14, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just redo Far West as a Lasers and Feelings hack at this point. There are already two words in the title and everything.

Use far if you are doing Wuxia stuff. Use west if you are doing Wild West stuff. If you roll your number exactly you’ve got far west, you succeed but it takes ten times longer than it should.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

All models will be constructed solely of balsa wood.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

We joked about an absurdly high stretch goal being "Two pages of rules" at one point, but decided it'd be better to retain the purity of it on the front. The amount of extra poo poo we're putting in the envelopes at this point is frankly getting absurd and I'm really excited for when people get their copies and find all this stuff we've got planned. We might reveal some of it in updates in the last 24hrs, maybe.

Just make the second page an identical copy of the first page.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Anniversary posted:

This is in preparation for the relaunch.

I shot a man just to watch him die, and I think you’ll be able to see that in the quality of my RPG writing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

Talking of which I just found this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1901134344/frogs-team-football-fantasy - those froggos are hella cute and GW will never make an official Slaan team. Also I love Morg n Frog and the Kemit Chainsaw looney :D

I’m not sure why it’s so funny to me that Kermit’s name is Gustavo Wulf.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is this game non-contemporary or is that a guy who appears to be in his 30’s when he’s actual 60?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

....what?

Release the emails Monopoly Auctions, Hasbro!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Well they’re one up on the Path of War kickstarter, I guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Star Citizen is never getting out of the hole. The hole is its home.

This is [it's] hole. This hole belongs to [Star Citizen].

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

kinkouin posted:

Cashing in on the Nostalgia wagon, but this just dropped:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165626423/power-rangers-heroes-of-the-grid-board-game/

I just want a ton of Megazords :toot:

I was going to say that Power Rangers is still ongoing, but they're clearly focused on the season 1 cast for some reason?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

kinkouin posted:

Humans are entitled as gently caress. Their dollar is obviously worth more than yours. :smithicide:

Writes down, “Kickstarter for dogs

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think this got mentioned?

Your Best Game Ever!

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't with all the Monte Cook love around here.

"Your Best Game Ever!"
foreward by "Your Favorite President!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, and "ARG" is the sound an elf makes when it has been Stabr'd by an Orc, it's almost too convenient.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I just feel bad because I feel like I might've spoiled the fun of doing the ARG for a lot of people :sweatdrop:

I was under the impression that ARGs are supposed to be solved in groups. This might not be the best thread for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hello, and welcome to America(na)'s number one kickstarter, Orc Stabr!

Now here's your host, Limm Ghomizar!